Orthopedic Sports Medicine  |
Dr. Matthew Driscoll, MD
Dr. Matthew D. Driscoll is a fellowship-trained Orthopedic Surgeon in Austin, TX specializing in sports medicine, arthroscopy, and comprehensive shoulder and knee surgery. Also fully trained in general orthopedics and fracture management, Dr. Driscoll treats a variety of musculoskeletal conditions and prefers to attempt non-surgical treatments before considering surgery whenever possible. Following his general orthopedic training, Dr. Driscoll was fortunate to spend an additional year developing expertise in sports medicine and arthroscopic surgery before returning to Central Texas. Dr. Driscoll, a native Texan, attended The University of Texas at Austin and graduated summa cum laude. He received his medical degree from Baylor College of Medicine, where he was awarded the Presidential Scholarship and graduated with honors (Alpha Omega Alpha). He completed his orthopedic residency training at Scott and White Memorial Hospital, then was selected to spend an additional year of training in Sports Medicine and Arthroscopy at the world renowned Southern California Orthopedic Institute (SCOI). While at SCOI, he had the opportunity to work directly with some of the pioneers of arthroscopic and minimally invasive surgery of the shoulder, knee, hip, and ankle. Throughout his career, Dr. Driscoll has been actively involved in research and education, authoring numerous scientific articles and textbook chapters and presenting research nationally and internationally. Dr. Driscoll has received several awards for his work including the Arthroscopy Association of North America J. Whit Ewing Research Award. His research interests include optimizing knee stability in ACL reconstruction, biologic augmentation of meniscus healing, surgical treatment of shoulder instability and associated bone injury, and functional outcomes following total knee replacement. Dr. Driscoll has experience treating athletes at all levels of competition, and also enjoys helping patients from all walks of life. From the competitive athlete to the weekend warrior with nagging shoulder pain or the baby boomer who likes to maintain an active lifestyle, his mission is to provide you with the same level of excellent service and compassionate care that he would offer a member of his own family. Dr. Driscoll and his wife, Morgan, live in Austin with their two children. In his free time, Dr. Driscoll enjoys running, watersports, UT athletics, and spending time with friends and family.

1301 W 38th St Ste 102

Austin, TX 78705

• Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas

Learn about Dr. Driscoll

See how frequently Dr. Driscoll performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Joint Pain
Knee Disorders
Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome or Knee Pain

Dr. Driscoll's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

This content was provided by Dr. Driscoll "My goal is to provide patients with the same level of excellent service and compassionate care that I would offer a member of my own family."

• Orthopedic Sports Medicine

• Knee Ligament Injuries
  • Knee Pain
  • Knee Sprain
  • Knee Tendinitis
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Medial Collateral Ligament (MCL) Sprain

• Elbow Tenotomy
  • Foot and Ankle Fracture Treatment, Closed
  • Foot and Ankle Fracture Treatment, Open
  • Foot and Ankle Ligament and Tendon Repair
  • Fracture Open Reduction and Internal Fixation (ORIF)
  • Fracture and-or Dislocation Treatment

• Scott and White Memorial Hospital
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2013
  • Southern California Orthopaedic Institute
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2014

Dr. Driscoll has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Driscoll does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Driscoll and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Driscoll's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Driscoll to family and friends
Dr. Driscoll's Performance
in Austin, |
As a very active sports and fitness oriented person, a torn Achilles tendon was a major setback to my normal routine. A member of my family had their's torn, but had to have it surgically repaired. I was a bit skeptical at the beginning when Dr. Driscoll did not recommend surgery with my injury. I remember asking a lot of questions, and voiced concerns with the healing process. With physical therapy and self-determination, I am able to walk, 2 months later, unassisted.
Dear Mr. Green, We are glad to hear that your experience with Dr. Driscoll was a great one! Thanks for your review and we look forward to providing you with the best service possible in the future. Thank You, ARC Customer Service
in Austin, TX |
I used Dr. Driscoll because a friend used him and said he was great. I too had a great experience.
Dear Cason B., Thanks! We think that Dr. Driscoll is amazing too! We are happy to hear that your visit with him/her and Austin Regional Clinic was a pleasant one. Thank You, ARC Customer Service
in Leander, TX |
Dr. Driscoll is nothing less than a super star Surgeon. He is extraordinarily bright, cutting edge, and is the most compassionate Dr. I have used in my adult life. For example, my first shoulder surgery from injury was done perfectly but the recovery was quite painful. Dr. Driscoll called me everyday, sometimes twice a day, to help me manage pain. Dr. Driscoll had left on vacation and gave me his cell number if I needed help. I can't express with words the excellence this Dr. Exemplifies.
in Austin, TX |
Dr. Driscoll is amazing. I had a complete shoulder replacement. At my age of 58 I can say I was a bit concerned. I can honestly say I felt no true pain through the entire recovery. My in home therapist said he did an amazing job, my out patient therapist is amazed at my progress in therapy. He said my range of motion is better than many with real shoulders and said - that's due to my motivation but mostly to the skill of the surgeon. Highly recommend him.
in Austin, TX |
I damaged my left knee while on a hike at Big Bend, and sought out an orthopedic surgeon once back in Austin. Dr. Driscoll was able to characterize my problem in-office via x-ray and physical exam, which was later confirmed by MRI. The surgical repair was a success. I very much appreciated his and his staff's willingness to listen to my concerns, suggest the viable range of alternatives open to me, and provide me a video of my surgery once completed. I was very satisfied with my experience.
in Austin TX |
In my life experience with doctors I have rarely seen so much compassion and understanding from a doctor and surgeon. I will not forget to mention how competent an thorough he has been during my treatment.
in Round Rock, TX |
Very well educated on the latest techniques and surgery processes. Best Dr. I've ever had. Dr. Driscoll is easy to talk to, listens and validates where your concerns are. Understands patient needs and does what is right for the patient based on your conditions. Excellent communication skills in explaining xray and mri results. Great follow up on next steps and what his concerns are with recommendations based on experience. Very thorough and knowledgeable in his field. Top notch Dr.
in Austin, TX |
Dr. Driscoll is extremely competent. I recently tore my ACL and meniscus skiing, and he did reconstructive surgery on me in March. Now, less than 6 months later, I have had a complete recovery, and can squat to the ground unassisted, and am running at the same speed as before the injury, and cycling faster than before the injury. As a triathlete I was extremely upset when I was injured, and the recover process was so much better than I had imagined it due to Dr. Driscoll's skill. In addition to
in Austin, TX |
Outstanding! As an orthopedic surgeon, being knowledgeable and intelligent in his field and as an empathetic, compassionate doctor, Dr. Matthew Driscoll is at the top. He did his job and did it very, very well when he performed reverse shoulder replacement on me and then has led me to a very high level of recovery. I can raise my effected arm 170+ degrees and have good strength in it because of his skill, precision and sound advice for physical therapy. I give him my highest recommendation!
in Austin, TX |
Dr. Driscoll was very concise and thorough in his examination and in his discussion of treatment options and outcomes. I knew exactly what to expect in the surgery and thought the dvd of my surgery was a great bonus! Post-op I feared I had injured the surgical site and in my frantic appointment, he could not have been more caring and empathetic. My shoulder has healed beautifully. It is stronger than ever. I LOVE what Dr. Driscoll has done for me!
Have you seen Dr. Matthew Driscoll, MD?

See our Orthopedic Sports Medicine Surgery Specialist at St. David's North Austin Medical Center

Visit Dr. Driscoll