Dr. M Shane Dawson, MD

Dr. M Shane Dawson, MD

General Surgery | Male

Dr. M. Shane Dawson received his bachelor's degree from Louisiana State University and his medical degree from Louisiana State University School of Medicine in New Orleans, LA. He then completed his surgical training at Lenox Hill Hospital and fellowship training in Critical Care Medicine at Duke University. Dr. Dawson returned to New York in 2004 and began his surgical practice. He is board certified in both general surgery and critical care medicine and is a fellow of the American College of Surgeons. His areas of clinical interest include minimally invasive gastrointestinal surgery and oncologic surgery. Please visit our website at: www.glsnyllp.com

Dr. Dawson's Experience

See how Dr. Dawson's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Dawson

Dr. Dawson accepts 4 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 1 hospitals where Dr. Dawson has admitting privileges.

Dr. Dawson's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Dawson to family and friends
    Dr. Dawson's Performance
    New York, NY |
    Expert surgeon that is highly recommended by top doctors. Did an excellent job for me. Easy to understand, direct, extremely efficient office processing. Takes insurance which is a big plus
    Bronx, NY |
    Had 3 hernia surgeries with dr. Dawson. Everything went smoothly and couple of times that I had to see him , he was available and answered all my questions. Will definitely recccomend him to others.
    New York, NY |
    The best! Got seen right away and the surgery was too simple! Really the best experience pre-surgery to post-surgery.
    in New York, NY |
    Fantastic Doctor, very concerned about his patients
    in New York, NY |
    Dr.Dawson is a awesome doctor because he listens to his patients.
    in New York, NY |
    Dr. Dawson is truly an excellent surgeon, the best I ever met. He takes the time to listen and provide helpful answers, and explains each procedure before he begins in an accesssible way that is easy to understand. He is clearly dedicated to and cares about the quality of his work, instilling confidence, and his friendly manner puts you at ease. His nursing support staff were also knowledgeable and caring. I had a quick and successful surgery with Dr. Dawson, and I would see him again for sure.
    New York |
    Staff was condescending and rude, wouldn't answer any questions, shouted me down and hung up. Unable to make appointment with doctor.
    in Bronx, NY |
    He is one of the nicest doctors I've ever been to. Its nice to find a doctor who is always there for his patients.
    in New York, NY |
    Meeting Dr. Dawson and General & Laparoscopic Surgeons of New York was the luckiest thing for me - I had just moved from California and needed a doctor. He and his office was warm and welcoming and he is thorough and considered in his care. My condition required someone with an approachable manner and Dr. Dawson fit the requirement perfectly. Very professional in all respects.
    in Brooklyn, NY |
    amazing doctor!! great experience!
    in New York, NY |
    I had a hernia repaired by Dr. Dawson, I received an incredible care from Dr. Dawson and his staff. I was very impressed with his professionalism and his care for his patients. He took his time to explain the procedure and answered all my question. he also took his time to follow up with me post-procedure and couldn't be happier with the results. Yihenew
    in New City, NY |
    Exec;ent experience. Doctor explained all aspects of surgery.
    in Woodside, NY |
    Respectful, professional & informative are the key things I look for when entrusting my body to a doctor (especially a surgeon!) & Dr. Dawson exceeded these qualifications, all with a genuine smile. He & his staff could not provide a more pleasant & comfortable experience! My bilateral ingunial hernia laparoscopy & recovery was smooth sailing from beginning to end. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND. Thanks again Dr Dawson! -Christopher C
    in Jamaica, NY |
    Dr Dawson provides patients with a wealth of experience and knowledge...he is a professional who assures his patients the finest in care and genuine concern.. exceptional!
    in Long Branch |
    I just had bilateral hernia surgery. Dr. Dawson was kind, supportive and did a great job operating and treating me. He explained everything to me so there would be no surprises. He wasn't sure if he could even operate successfully on the second hernia due to scar tissue but he was very successful so now I do not need to have a second surgery. I highly recommend Dr. Dawson.
    in New York, NY |
    I wish all doctors exhibited the degree of respect Dr. Dawson gave me. Took his time, answered any and all questions, described things in as much detail as I required, was friendly! Before and after my operation he took all the time needed to talk to my family about the entire procedure and how I was doing. Keep up the great work! So far so good Doctor Dawson!
    in New York, NY |
    Dr.Dawson is great!He is approachable and a caring surgeon.He provides you all the information you need for your surgery. I am so happy I chose him to do my lap chole surgery.??
    in New York, NY |
    Best Laparoscopic Surgeon in NYC.
    in Fresh Meadows, New York 11365 |
    Dr. Dawson was friendly, helpful and concise in his comments; he kept us fully informed as to all aspects of my surgery, which involved repairing three abdominal hernias in one session, and the results have been excellent. I highly recommend him to anyone considering such surgery.
    in New York, NY |
    Both my wife and I have had Dr. Dawson as our surgeon. He is an excellent surgeon and a great communicator and caregiver.
    in New York, NY |
    I would highly recommend Dr. Dawson to anyone requiring general surgery. He is kind and attentive to his patients needs and puts them at ease very quickly. He keeps you abreast of developments in your care every step of the way
    in Congers, NY |
    Extremely polite and takes the time to explain procedures and concerns to patient. I felt very comfortable in the two procedures (gall bladder; dual hernia) performed by Dr. Dawson on me.
    in White Plains, NY |
    Dr Dawson has an incredible bedside manner. His surgical skills are top notch.
    in New York, NY |
    His the best he care about the patient very professional and extremely human the way he taking care the patient his Excellent Doctor
    New York, NY |
    I had a very complicated case and Dr. Dawson was amazing from beginning to end. He is a very talented and patient surgeon who is not afraid to take on difficult cases. My quality of life has improved thanks to Dr. Dawson.
    in New York, NY |
    He is professional,warm,knowledgeable& sets you at ease regarding your upcoming surgery!!! I would recommend him to my family & friends.
    in Brooklyn, NY |
    I highly recommend Dr. Dawson! He removed my gallbladder and the whole process was easy. Dr. Dawson was super nice and made me way less nervous about the surgery.The staff at the office are very pleasant and friendly.
    in New York, NY |
    Doctor Dawson is truly one of the finest doctors I have ever encountered - I am very selective and I trust him implicitly. He is intelligent, a gifted surgeon, fantastic bedside manner, kind, friendly, courteous, a good man, excellent diagnostician, spends a lot of time with his patients, truly cares about his patients, listens to what his patients have to say, very thorough explanations, etc., etc., etc. - I can't say enough good things about him - and, there are definitely no negatives.
    in New York, NY |
    Only saw him for surgery, but was very intelligent, talkative, explained everything, put you at ease, follow up was great, and the laparoscopic appendicitis was flawless.
    Dr. Dawson is awesome!
    in New York, NY |
    Allowing for Dr. Dawson's surgical competency as a given, I found Dr. Dawson's warmth, patience, and caring to be exceptional. Information was conveyed clearly and concisely in non-technical terms. In each of our encounters, I felt I had Dr. Dawson's complete attention and that he was genuinely concerned with making my treatment and care as positive an experience as possible.
    in New York, NY |
    Dr Dawson is a wonderful healer. More than just a surgeon, he was warm and caring in his discussion with me about my hernia. The time of surgery was made much more pleasant by his capable and reassuring presence. I had a smooth and uneventful recovery.
    in Brooklyn, NY |
    Dr.Dawson removed my gallbladder about a year ago, and I can't thank him enough! He was great before the operation, answered all my questions and concerns, and put me at ease. After the surgery I had minimal to no bruising, as he is such a great surgeon. He was great with following up with me after surgery, and a year later it's like it never happened, I feel great! I would truly recommend him to anyone reading this!
    in New York, NY |
    Perfect mix of professionalism and humanity. Dr. Dawson spent as much time as was requested to explain procedures both pre and post surgery. The whole process of repairing inguinal hernia was handled expertly. The office and the surgical establishment were run like clock work and EVERY member of the team in both locations knew their jobs and performed them with the level of care they would expect if they themselves were undergoing the procedure. I would recommend without reservation.
    Have you seen Dr. M Shane Dawson, MD?
    Are you Dr. Dawson?

Dr. Dawson says...

Dr. M. Shane Dawson received his bachelor's degree from Louisiana State University and his medical degree from Louisiana State University School of Medicine in New Orleans, LA. He then completed his surgical training at Lenox Hill Hospital and fellowship training in Critical Care Medicine at Duke University. Dr. Dawson returned to New York in 2004 and began his surgical practice. He is board certified in both general surgery and critical care medicine and is a fellow of the American College of Surgeons. His areas of clinical interest include minimally invasive gastrointestinal surgery and oncologic surgery.

Please visit our website at: www.glsnyllp.com

Dr. Dawson's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in General Surgery
    •  Board certified in Critical Care Surgery and General Surgery

Dr. Dawson has no media or publications listed.

No malpractice history found for New York.

Why It Matters: Dr. Dawson's Board Certifications

• Breast Cancer
    • Breast Lump
    • Carcinoma in Situ
    • Cholecystitis and Gallstones
    • Collapsed Lung (Pneumothorax)
    • Colorectal Cancer

Duke Umc

Completed in 2004

Louisana State Univ

Graduated in 1994

Dr. Dawson does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Dawson and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• General Surgery

• Breast Surgical Procedure
    • Colectomy
    • Colon and Rectal Surgery
    • Dialysis Access Procedures
    • Enterostomy (Laparoscopic or Open)
    • Esophageal Surgery