Dr. Matthew Crooks, MD

Dr. Matthew Crooks, MD

Pain Medicine  |
Dr. Matthew Crooks is a double board certified, fellowship trained interventional pain specialist. He has had the distinction of training with leading experts in pain medicine at two of the nation's top hospitals, with extensive training in acute and chronic pain management, completing residency in Anesthesiology at The Johns Hopkins Hospital. While at Johns Hopkins, he had the honor of being selected Chief Resident of the Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine for the 2008-2009 year. During fellowship in Pain Medicine at UCLA, Dr. Crooks served as Chair of the Resident Section Committee of the American Society of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine(ASRA), focusing on teaching and developing the next generation of pain specialists. Dr. Crooks has published both articles in peer-reviewed journals and textbook chapters in the field of pain management, and is actively involved in research focusing on outcomes studies of interventional pain procedures, as well as developing new pain treatments. Delivering the highest quality patient care has been the primary focus of Dr. Crooks throughout his career in medicine. He believes that the best attribute a physician can have is the ability to listen to their patient, and to understand the importance of the doctor-patient relationship. This relationship is essential in managing chronic pain, restoring function, and getting back to life. Dr. Crooks has been practicing interventional pain medicine in Arizona since 2010, and has been voted a "Top Doc" in Pain Management by Phoenix physicians in Phoenix Magazine. His clinical interests include spinal injections, radiofrequency ablation and neuromodulation by spinal cord stimulator. He is well versed in interventional and multimodal pain management, and is passionate about improving the lives of his patients by limiting the impact of chronic pain. In his free time, Dr. Crooks enjoys basketball, tennis, travelling, and especially spending time with his wife and two sons.

9023 E Desert Cove Ave Ste 101

Scottsdale, AZ 85260

• Accountable Health Plans of America
  • Arizona Foundation
  • Banner Health
  • Beech Street (Multiplan)
  • Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona
  • CHAMPVA

Learn about Dr. Crooks

See how frequently Dr. Crooks performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Low Back Pain
Radiculopathy (Not Due to Disc Displacement)
Back Pain

Dr. Crooks's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

• Pain Medicine

• Failed Back Surgery Syndrome
  • Hip Pain
  • Knee Pain
  • Neck Pain
  • Neck Strain (incl. Whiplash Injury)
  • Nerve Pain

• Nerve Destruction by Neurolytic Agent
  • Pain Management
  • Peripheral Nerve Block
  • Piriformis Injection
  • Platelet-Rich Plasma Injection (PRP)
  • Radiofrequency Nerve Ablation
  • Sacroiliac Joint Injection
  • Spinal Cord Stimulation
  • Spinal Nerve Block
  • Stellate Ganglion Block
  • Stem Cell Therapy
  • Thoracic Epidural Steroid Injection
  • Thoracic Facet Joint Injection

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Arizona.

• University of California at Santa Cruz
  • Johns Hopkins Hospital
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2009
  • University Of California / Division Of Pain Management
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2010

Dr. Crooks has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Crooks does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Crooks and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Crooks' Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Crooks to family and friends
Dr. Crooks' Performance
in Gilbert, AZ |
Dr Crooks has been taking care of me and my back pain for several years now. I have five bulging disks and the pain I was having before seeing him was dibilitating. I can live pretty much a pain free life while under his care. He and his staff treats you like family. Highly recommend him. Might find a bit of a wait due to the amount of time he spends with each patient. He listens to all your concerns, answer all questions and starts a treatment plan.
in Phoenix, AZ |
I have suffered from chronic lower back pain for 7 years since my spinal fusion in 2010. I didn’t think anything could be done to relieve the pain until I read about Dr Crooks online. I met with him and he explained to me that nerve ablation, could reduce the pain in my lower back. I underwent the treatment and the difference is amazing. I have little to no pain any more. Dr Crooks is a warm and friendly person, but very detail oriented about his work as the results show.
in Scottsdale, AZ |
I have multiple supine problems. The only treatment is major reconstructive surgery which I choose not to do. I have been to multiple pain centers that did not work out. I went to Dr. crooks and was extremely happy with the care and concern and his positive attitude and concern for my pain. I am receiving RFAs from him and want to let everyone know that my experiences with him and his staff have been wonderful. I would recommend Dr. crooks to anyone who is in need of this type of care.
in Buckeye, AZ |
Dr. Crooks is the best. I will and have followed him for years.
in Gold Canyon, AZ |
Dr. Crooks is everything a patient could want in a doctor: excellent training, skill and knowledge, a keen desire to keep giving the best care for his patients, compassionate listening and responsive action. He has hired a staff who matches his goals and demeanor. The radio frequency ablation has not only freed me from a debilitating life of pain but also reduced inflammation to my optic nerve resulting in restoring my vision. I wouldn't go to any other doctor. Dr Crooks is the best.
in tempe, az |
The best there is! If you are suffering, please call his office. He is brilliant and will work tirelessly to restore you back to health.
in Tempe, AZ |
I love Dr. Crooks! He has helped me so much. He got a special compounded medication for me that keeps me from taking pills, he recommended me to an orthotic company for a reduced cost, and he is always willing to spend as long with me as I feel like talking about my condition. I was running out of hope in medicine before I met him to treat my post-op RSD.
in Phoenix, AZ |
MY HUSBAND WAS INJURED IN THE JOB AND NO ONE WANTED TO HELP HIM GET OUT OF PAIN. HE IS AN AWESOME DR. HE LISTENS TO HIS PATIENTS COMPLAINT AND THEN TREATS THEM. HE TAKES AS MUCH TIME AS YOU NEED.
in Chandler, AZ |
Excellent experience! Dr Crooks was referred to me, I have alot of nerve issues going on in the lower lumbar area and I was told he was one of the best with what I needed. He is very caring towards his patients and you can tell when you are talking with him that he is not someone who is going to rush you through the process. He takes his time and really seems to care about getting the end result for his patients. I would not consider going elsewhere!
in Sun City West, AZ |
Great Doc. Need someone who listens, cares, and provide good care, he is the one.
in Scottsdale, AZ |
Dr. Crooks is amazing; after I collapsed in an airport the day after having a CT Mylogram & was rushed to a hospital, I was released before being diagnosed with leaking spinal fluid; unbelievable for a hospital known for spinal injuries! The next day I barely managed to fly home to AZ, vomiting & extremely ill. My primary Doc had me see Dr. Crooks who got me in immediately & said I was in fact leaking spinal fluid & needed a Blood Patch. I was better immediately. I am so grateful to Dr.Crooks..
in Stanfield, AZ |
Dr. Crooks has given me my life back. I'm a firefighter, a barrel racer, and mother of 2 young boys with a very active lifestyle living on a ranch. I almost had to stop doing what I loved since I was in such pain & so irritable. For 25 years I've suffered with chronic headaches & scapula knots/pain. No other specialist or neurologist has been able to get me out of pain & stop my headaches, until Dr Crooks! He's gifted, listens, cares, fast, and won't stop trying until you're pain free. RFA's
in Phoenix, AZ |
Dr. Crooks has an excellent bedside manner. He is very good in what he does, but what makes him better is he knows his limits and is never hesitant to refer his patients to other specialist or seek out other expert opinions. He is very good in recruiting his patients to participate in their care by thoroughly discussing with them the pros and cons and what is expected short and long term while under and after his care.
Have you seen Dr. Matthew Crooks, MD?
Are you Dr. Crooks?

Health Fund PPO
    Select
  • Arizona Foundation
  • Banner Health
  • Beech Street (Multiplan)
    Beech Street (Multiplan) POS