Dr. Matthew Buchanan, MD

Dr. Matthew Buchanan, MD

Orthopedic Foot & Ankle Surgery  |
Matthew M. Buchanan, MD is a board-certified, fellowship trained Orthopaedic Surgeon who specializes in the foot and ankle. Dr. Buchanan prides himself on a patient-centered, outcome-driven approach to both operative and non-operative care of the foot and ankle. Prior to moving to Chattanooga, Dr. Buchanan practiced in the Washington, DC area. While in DC, he received numerous accolades to include selection by his peers as a Washingtonian Magazine Top Doctor, as well as an Arlington Magazine Top Vote Getter: Best Orthopaedic Surgeon. Dr. Buchanan was an orthopaedic foot and ankle consultant to The Washington Ballet. Dr. Buchanan's love of teaching led to his appointment as an Assistant Clinical Professor at the Georgetown University School of Medicine in the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery. He served as Faculty for the Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Center's Foot and Ankle Fellowship Program and was a member of the I nova Sports Medicine Institute. Dedicated to research, Dr. Buchanan has authored multiple book chapters on foot and ankle topics including flatfoot, minimally invasive ankle surgery and ankle cartilage defects. His research papers have been published in leading medical journals and have evaluated the optimum technique to treat traumatic foot injuries and the effects of smoking on bone fusion. Dr. Buchanan has expertise in complex problems of the foot and ankle. His current clinical interests include bunions/hammertoes, arthritis/cartilage regeneration and minimizing the recovery time associated with foot and ankle surgery. He specializes in Total Ankle Replacement and is one of a select group of Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Surgeons who has received certification to perform four FDA-approved Total Ankle Replacements. Dr. Buchanan holds a patent on a unique FDA approved surgical plate designed to speed recovery for moderate to severe bunion deformities. Dr. Buchanan grew up in St. Louis, Missouri, and received his Bachelor of Science degree in Biology at Duke University. He attended medical school at The Ohio State University receiving dual honors in Orthopaedic and General Surgery and was awarded the Department of Surgery Jonassen Prize for "Exceptional Performance and Dedication to Surgery." Prior to his prestigious fellowship at the Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Center in Columbus, Ohio, Dr. Buchanan served as Chief Resident at West Virginia University's Department of Orthopaedic Surgery. He is a Diplomate of the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgeons. Prior to his 9 year career in the DC area, he practiced in Colorado where he was a member of Vail-Summit Orthopaedics. Dr. Buchanan served as Chief of Surgery at St. Anthony's Summit Medical Center and took primary orthopaedic call for the area's six major ski resorts. In 2007, he left the mountains of Colorado for the DC area in order to focus his practice exclusively on the care of the foot and ankle. An active sports enthusiast who loves the great outdoors, Dr. Buchanan understands a patient's desire for a quick recovery. He is an avid bicyclist who organized and completed a 3300-mile self-supported, cross-country bicycle ride in support of Children's Miracle Network. He enjoys endurance mountain biking and has completed numerous 24-Hour Mountain Bike Races as well as the Leadville 100. He is an accomplished whitewater kayaker and has navigated multiple Class V rivers.

2415 McCallie Ave

Chattanooga, TN 37404

• Anthem
  • CareFirst Blue Cross Blue Shield

Learn about Dr. Buchanan

See how frequently Dr. Buchanan performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Ankle Sprains and Strains
Ankle Sprain and Achilles Tendon Sprain or Rupture
Foot Conditions

Dr. Buchanan's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

This content was provided by Dr. Buchanan ""I am honored to join the incredible team of doctors at the Center for Sports Medicine and Orthopaedics." – Dr. Matthew Buchanan"

• Orthopedic Foot & Ankle Surgery

• Osteochondritis Dissecans
  • Plantar Fasciitis
  • Pseudoarthrosis
  • Pyogenic Arthritis
  • Reiter's Syndrome (Reactive Arthritis)
  • Sever's Disease

• Foot and Ankle Ligament and Tendon Repair
  • Myofascial Trigger Point Injection
  • Nerve Block, Somatic
  • Synovial Biopsy

No malpractice history found for Tennessee.

• Ohio State University College Of Med and Public Health Columbus Oh
    Medical School | Graduated 1998
  • Ohio State University College Of Medicine And Public Health
    Medical School | Graduated 1998
  • West Virginia University
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2003
  • Orthopaedic Foot And Ankle Center
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2004

Dr. Buchanan has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Buchanan does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Buchanan and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Buchanan's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Buchanan to family and friends
4.5
Dr. Buchanan Says:

Thank you for taking the time to review. We appreciate all feedback as our goal is to provide the best in patient care.

Dr. Buchanan's Performance
in Ooltewah |
I was pleased at how Dr Buchanan spoke to me, treated me and explained the options for treatment. Howeer after I talked it over with husband and decided on surgery I spoke to office his staff told me Dr Buchanan agreed to surgery and the scheduler would call by end of week and thus was a Tuesday. Did not hear from them I called them the following Monday and was told his scheduling nurse would call by the end of that day.,no call and half way through following day.
in Chattanooga TN |
Thanks to Dr Buchanan I feel like my previous pain will be reduced drastically it was a rough surgery and recovery but I am getting there
in Fort Payne, AL |
I am 75 years old and fell almost a month ago breaking my ankle in three places Dr Buchanan performed surgery putting plates & screws in so that I would be able to walk again Dr Buchanan took the time to explain exactly what he did and what kind of recovery I could expect I could not ask for a better orthopedic surgeon and would recommend him highly to anyone in the need of his expertise.
in Tunnel Hill, GA , 30755 |
Dr. Buchanan is a wonderful physician!! He has been treated me for a severe gout attack and was in major pain. Dr. Buchanan not only listened to all my complaints I told him,but treated me as I was the only patient he had that day. Dr. Buchanan is kind,sincere,very easy is to talk too. Great to know that I have a great Foot and Ankle.
in Hixson, TN |
Dr. Buchanan is great Doctor. I had a complex problem. He was very careful to consider the problem and explain it thoroughly. Reviewing X-rays and discussing options to fix it. He thoroughly explained procedure, care, recovery, and expected outcomes. He was kind, compassionate, and encouraging. Sharing his knowledge and expertise. I highly recommend him.
in Chattanooga, TN |
I find Dr. Buchanan very likable, concerned and willing to take the time to listen. I did benefit from his instruction and follow up was easy. I would and did recommend him to a couple of friends of mine.
in Trenton, GA |
Dr Buchanan is very pleasant, kind, caring, and compassionate. He thoroughly explained my x-rays and what I needed to do to heal. I feel very cared for by both him and his staff.
in Chattanooga |
The entire practice is very professional and efficient! Love that I received a written summary of all that was talked about and done at my appointment and a write-up of how my treatment will proceed. Very knowledgeable and caring doctor and staff.
in Chattanooga, TN |
Dr Buchanan explains everything (X-rays, diagnosis, prognosis, exercises etc) in a way that is easily understood. He is very thorough and never seems rushed. Very happy with my treatment.
in Chattanooga, TN |
Dr. Buchanan is an excellent physician. He is extremely knowledgeable, he listens and then forms a plan and then is flexible to fitting the plan into my everyday life. Thank you Dr. Buchanan.
in Chattanooga, TN |
Dr. Buchanan is very professional and explains results in a manner that is easy to understand. He operated on my broken ankle and did a wonderful job. I would recommend Dr. Buchanan.
in Soddy Daisy, TN |
How lucky was I to visit with Dr. B. Stress fx left ankle was not so lucky. He has an excellent manner & is very knowledgeable about diagnosis and the plan. Much appreciated
in Chattanooga, TN |
I love Dr. Buchanan! He is always patient and caring. He explains everything and listens to my concerns. Great doctor!
in Cleveland, TN |
He was great had ankle surgery and had almost no pain. He's a good caring doctor.
in Cleveland, TN |
I was recommended to Dr. Buchanan, who implanted a 3D printed, next generation artificial ankle. I'm still in recovery, but have already seen that I will have close to a full range of motion. I am amazed, thrilled, and highly recommend Dr. Buchanan. I am looking forward to resuming my life with my usual gusto. Thank you, Dr. Buchanan.
Thank you for the review, Linda.
in Bowling Green, KY |
Dr. Buchanan performed ankle replacement surgery on my left ankle. We were from out of town as because nobody in Bowling Green, KY did this type of surgery. Every aspect from initial contact to post op care has been superb. Everything has progressed better than I expected. Couldn't be happier. I had surgery 20 days ago.
Thank you for the review, Juan.
in Dalton, GA |
Dr. Buchanan has been a blessing to our family. He has taken the time to not only explain the problem that my husband was facing with his injury, he took the time to teach us the things that we would need to be able to do to speed the healing process. It is rare to find doctors who can achieve the balance of staying on schedule while still spending the necessary time to make sure his patients feel secure in the care that they are getting. So glad to have him in Chattanooga!!!!!
Thank you for the review, Kim.
Chattanooga, TN |
Long wait. Seemed in a rush. Did not show me or explain X-rays taken of broken foot. Did not offer a smaller boot like my new doctor did. Dr. Buchanan later refused to write a script for pain management of a broken bone. I had to go to my family doctor for pain relief and then follow up with a different podiatrist. My new doctor is wonderful and she explained everything in detail, gave me a more comfortable boot, and made sure pain was under control.
We appreciate your feedback. If you would like to be contacted to discuss your experience, please email info at sportmed.com and include the best way we can reach you. Upon receiving your email, we will promptly be in touch. Thank you!
in Chattanooga, TN |
very friendly, explained to me what was wrong, what had to be done ask me questions took time to explain what was wrong and how to treat it
Thank you for the review, Ernest.
Have you seen Dr. Matthew Buchanan, MD?

Visit Dr. Buchanan