Dr. Mathew Alexander, MD

Dr. Mathew Alexander, MD

NeurosurgeryMaleAge 51

Neurosurgery

Dr. Mathew Alexander, MD is a Neurosurgery Specialist in Corpus Christi, TX. Dr. Alexander has extensive experience in Cranial Neurosurgery and Spine Disorders & Surgical Procedures. He is affiliated with medical facilities such as Corpus Christi Medical Center - Bay Area and CHRISTUS Spohn Hospital Alice. His office accepts new patients.

Brought to you by and on staff at

Corpus Christi Medical Center - Doctors Regional

South Texas Brain and Spine Center

South Texas Brain and Spine Center1227 3rd St Corpus Christi, TX 78404

Hospital Highlight

Dr. Alexander is affiliated with Corpus Christi Medical Center - Bay Area Corpus Christi, a highly rated hospital.

• Practices at Top Hospital Patient Safety Excellence Award™ See hospitals
  • Good Patient Care Patients said they had exceptional care at this hospital. See hospitals

Dr. Alexander's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Alexander

3.8

Dr. Alexander

Helped my mom when no one else could
My mother fractured her C1 and C2 vertebrae a couple of years back. After living in a brace for 18 months, her neck hadn't healed properly. Her regular doctor said, Oh well, she's too old, tough break. After another fall, she was seen by Dr Alexander who thought he could do something for her. We just wrapped up our two year post spinal fusion surgery visit. We tried a different solution prior to surgery - Dr Alexander was straight with us about the likelihood of that solution not working, but we needed to try it first, due to ethical guidelines. We are very pleased with the result, not only would we go to him again, but I'd recommend him to everyone I care about - he's the kind of doctor that other doctors want to be. PS: when he was running late due to complications in surgery, he had the office get catering from Bill Millers for the patients waiting.
John D. – May 07, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mathew Alexander, MD?
Thanks to Dr. Alexander and his staff, I can walk again. I suffer from spinal stenosis, myelitis, disc degenerative disease and sciatica nerve pain just to name a few. I have had seven previous back surgeries in Houston before moving to Corpus Christi in 2019. I was 90% paralyzed from the waist down and was suffering from a massive bacterial infection. Dr. Alexander immediately admitted me into the hospital and three days later performed his first surgery to remove all prior hardware to tackle the bacterial infection. Eight months later Dr. Alexander performed his second surgery, a laminectomy, to help relieve spinal cord pressure due to my spinal stenosis. Last December, Dr. Alexander performed his third surgery, a TLIF, to help alleviate spinal cord pressure due to my myelitis. Thanks to Dr. Alexander’s persistence, surgical skills and experience along with a lot of physical therapy, I can walk again! Dr. Alexander and his staff have always treated me with excellent care.
Manuel C. – May 05, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mathew Alexander, MD?
I would highly recommend Dr. Alexander. First of all the staff was really friendly. Secondly, when Dr Alexander came in to meet and talk to us, he was very friendly and explained everything clearly to us. He made me feel comfortable and I knew then that I could trust him. He was very positive about my procedure. After my surgery and even up til now , not once have I needed any kind of pain medicine. I am so happy to have my life back to normal and pain free. I am truly blessed. Thank you Dr. Alexander.
Cantu – Nov 03, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mathew Alexander, MD?
Terrible office management. We waited 4 hours and finally decided to leave. We decided that this poor attitude and lack of respect towards patients would most definitely reflect their attitude towards surgery. I know my time is not nearly as valuable as some but that was 4 hours lost for good.
  • Staff wasn't friendly
Robin – Aug 04, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mathew Alexander, MD?
I just went in for my 18 month checkup. Before the surgery I could barley walk and now I am up to a mile a day. My sciatic nerve issues have not returned and the pain is at a level that I can treat it with over counter drugs. This is an awesome result. Great Surgeon, great staff. I would recommend Dr. Alexander to anyone who wants or needs results.
Jun 20, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mathew Alexander, MD?
Great doctor and staff. Would recommend to anyone. Takes time in explaining your problem and how he is going to fix it.
Jun 02, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mathew Alexander, MD?
Outstanding Doctor and staff. Wish all Doctor offices were like Dr. Alexander. Any waiting time is well worth it. Thanks for your Great service Doctor and Staff....
Rolando Molina – Apr 15, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mathew Alexander, MD?
i had severe spinal cord.compression and was wheelchair bound. After surgery I can walk again
Mark – Mar 05, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mathew Alexander, MD?
I cannot explain just how grateful I am to Dr. Alexander. I suffered for years with excruciating pain on my lower back down my right leg. I had not slept on my own bed in at least 2 years. I handed my life over to him and he has given it back to me 99% better than it was before. I had my surgery March of this year and I can honeslty say that I do not feel any of the pain I had before. He has given me my life back to enjoy with my family once again. I highly recommend him.
Marmal – Nov 17, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mathew Alexander, MD?
In 2010, my husband fell 12’ through a ceiling, landing on his head on a concrete floor. His neck was broken in 4 places, as well as other life-threatening injuries. Dr. Matthew Alexander performed life-saving neurosurgery, and after 59 days in 3 hospitals, he made a miraculous recovery. Five months later, Dr. Alexander removed a tumor at the junction of C1-C2, and 7 months after that, he removed another tumor from around his brain stem, in an extremely difficult place to operate. Nine months later, he required lower back surgery -- his 4th neurosurgery within 2 years, performed by Dr. Alexander. In 2016, I had a spinal cord injury, and Dr. Alexander successfully performed an anterior cervical discectomy and fusion at C4-C7. Dr. Alexander is an experienced, super-dedicated neurosurgeon, and works late/long hours to accommodate EVERYONE! .We would NEVER consider going to anyone else. He saved our quality of life multiple times, and we will be forever grateful!
Diane S. – Nov 11, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mathew Alexander, MD?
I am a 68 yr old female. Doctor Alexander has saved my life. I was in a wheelchair this time last year. He performed my surgery and cleaned out a deadly spinal infection, I was in absolute agony when he saved me. There are not enough words to express the kindness brains and talent this man has been Blessed with. There is no other Doctor better than him. I am walking, infection free, and just about pain free. The office and staff are wonderful and you can expect a wait. All good things are worth waiting for. God Bless this man.
Lydia Franco – Oct 10, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mathew Alexander, MD?
Dr. Alexander has performed surgery for spinal compression fractures on my 92 year old sister. The fractures cause excruciating pain and Dr. Alexander has alleviated the pain. He is very caring and takes the time to show and explain the procedures that will be done. You might have to wait, but the wait is worth it if you will get relieve from pain.
M Garcia – Aug 31, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mathew Alexander, MD?
He's a very good doctor. He takes his time in explaining the patient's problems.
Aug 22, 2019
EXCELLENT BACK AND NECK SURGEON
CONRAD P RUIZ – Aug 12, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mathew Alexander, MD?
Superior neurosurgeon. Had a great surgical experience and recovery was quick. This was the second surgery in my neck. The previous was in 1997 where three disks were removed. I was suffering from extreme headaches. Now I am free of the headaches caused from my neck.
Corpus Christi, TX – Jun 11, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mathew Alexander, MD?
I had lower back surgery with Dr Alexander in early 2018. He is a very good and thorough surgeon. Like he told me he can’t take all my pain away. He did alleviate the pain. He always does his best to tend to my back pain. I would recommend him to anyone that needs back surgery. N Bueno
Jun 04, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mathew Alexander, MD?
After 4 hours I was 4th in line then the staff said it was best to call in at the time of your appointment, then they will call me back 30 minutes before the doctor can see me, they will call me back in Ingleside to come back and see Dr Alexander - I quickly saw one of his associates and when he showed me my x-ray I couldn't see the fracture - left and never went back to him Other patients said he sometimes orders pizza at 8pm for those still waiting
  • Difficult to schedule appointment
  • Appointment was rushed
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
  • Didn't explain conditions well
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
TX, TX – May 20, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mathew Alexander, MD?
When I began losing feeling in my fingers, Dr. Alexander and his team quickly (and confidently) diagnosed, communicated, and arranged procedure on neck vertebrae to "fix." His knowledge, skills, and process is so good that this is practically an in-patient evolution. Although wait times in lobby and exam room may vary, follow-up appointments are stress free with an attentive staff and scheduling (office open until 7pm). You are likely reading this and researching this Doctor due to a referral - I can confidently say that you will be in good hands if fortune finds you with an option to have Dr. Alexander and his team at South Texas Brain & Spine review your case.
Steve H in Corpus Christi, TX – May 12, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mathew Alexander, MD?
what a great doctor i had a blood hemorrhage in my left side of my head the blood was pushing on my brain giving me severe pain i went to two hospitals they did CAT scans and sent me home with pain meds the pain only got worse after a week of such bad pain i went to see dr alexander he put me in the hospital the same day and did surgery to remove the blood and the pain was gone six months later new CAT scan and all blood is gone back to normal again thank you dr alexander
grover sullivan in riviera, TX – Apr 18, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mathew Alexander, MD?
I highly recommend Dr. Mathew Alexander to everyone. He did an excellent job on my surgery. I am completely pain free! He is an amazing and very caring doctor!
Juan Suarez in Corpus Chris, TX – Apr 09, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mathew Alexander, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Alexander?

No malpractice claims found for Texas

Frequently Treated by Dr. Alexander

Based on treatment records, we have identified the following as areas of care that Dr. Alexander treats more often than their peers. If you are unsure whether Dr. Alexander treats other conditions, please contact the office at (361) 883-4323.

Cranial Neurosurgery

Cranial neurosurgeons perform surgical procedures that involve opening or passing through the skull to treat conditions affecting the brain, spinal cord, and nervous system.Compare with other Cranial Neurosurgery specialists.

Dr. Alexander is experienced in the area of Cranial Neurosurgery. See the graph below to learn more about his experience.

Based on claims data for 11 conditions and procedures

Normal
High
Very High

Spine Disorders & Surgical Procedures

Spine specialists diagnose and treat conditions affecting the bones of the spine, including degenerative spine disease, herniated discs, stenosis, and fractured vertebrae, with treatments including medication, physical therapy, and surgery.Compare with other Spine Disorders & Surgical Procedures specialists.

Dr. Alexander is experienced in the area of Spine Disorders & Surgical Procedures. See the graph below to learn more about his experience.

Based on claims data for 57 conditions and procedures

Treatments
Similar Providers
Spondylolisthesis
Spinal Stenosis
Radiculopathy (Not Due to Disc Displacement)
Spine Fractures, Traumatic

• Broken Neck
  • Cauda Equina Syndrome
  • Cerebral Artery Thrombosis
  • Cerebral Hemorrhage
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak (CSF Leak)
  • Cerebrovascular Disease
  • Hydrocephalus
  • Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Meningiomas
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Nerve Sheath Tumors
  • Traumatic Brain Injury
  • Upper Back Pain
  • Vertebral Column Tumors

Dr. Alexander accepts

Dr. Alexander accepts the following insurance:

National (BlueCard) PPO