Cornea & Refractive Surgery  |
Dr. Mark Whitten, MD
ReNEW Your Vision at Whitten Laser Eye! Imagine vision like you used to have. Or, imagine having the best vision of your life. At Whitten Laser Eye, it's all possible. Dr. Whitten uses the latest advanced technologies, alone or in combination, to personalize an approach for you and your unique vision goals. Now you can see clearly into the distance, read a book, send a text or look at a computer screen…all without glasses or contacts. From 18 to 80 , we offer a lifetime of great vision correction choices to ReNEW Your Vision! Experience Matters! Dr. Whitten has over 30 years of experience and is 1 of only 3 surgeons in the country to have performed over 150,000 laser vision correction procedures. A Vision Pioneer Dr. Whitten was one of the first surgeons in the country to perform the groundbreaking LASIK procedure. He was also the first surgeon in the Washington DC area to perform the latest procedure for Reading Vision correction. Highest Quality Surgical Team Our highly experienced technical staff has been with Dr. Whitten since he began performing vision correction procedures. Dr. Whitten meets personally with patients prior to surgery to determine their vision needs. Every patient receives personalized quality of care. Happy patients are the goal every day!

5454 Wisconsin Ave

Chevy Chase, MD 20815

• CareFirst Blue Cross Blue Shield
  • EmblemHealth
  • Golden Rule
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
  • One Net

Learn about Dr. Whitten

See how frequently Dr. Whitten performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Stye
Cataract Removal Surgery
Cataract
high

Dr. Whitten's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

This content was provided by Dr. Whitten "Many of my patient reviews comment specifically on the care and attention they received in my offices, from me and all of my staff.  I am very proud of that.  And also the time spent to make certain all patient questions and concerns are addressed fully.  Our biggest source of new patients over the years has always been from current patient referrals...referring family, friends and co-workers.  That says a lot.

We value the relationships we build with our patients.

Patients meet and spend time personally with me prior to surgery, which is not always the case in other practices.

Sometimes patients are not good candidates for surgery.  Why is this important?  Because before performing any surgical procedure, we want each patient to have the best chance at the best visual outcome.  We are thorough in our testing and recommendations."

• Cornea & Refractive Surgery

• Clear Lens Surgery to Correct Near and Far Vision Simultaneous
  • Eye Surgery
  • Eyelid Surgery
  • LASIK

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Maryland.

• University Of Virginia
    Undergraduate School | Graduated 1973
  • Virginia Commonwealth University School Of Medicine
    Medical School | Graduated 1977
  • Riverside Hosp
    Internship Hospital | Completed
  • Washington Hospital Center

Dr. Whitten has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Whitten does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Whitten and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Whitten's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Whitten to family and friends
Dr. Whitten Says:

Why your patient feedback and reviews are important:

This information helps us to maintain the exceptional level of care we offer our patients.  Information is used to continuously improve our service and care.

It is also a very important educational tool for new patients.  They use your reviews to help evaluate their eye care surgeon...a very important decision....

Dr. Whitten's Performance
in California, MD |
Dr. Whitten was very knowledgeable and friendly! He talked me through every step of the lasik eye surgery and before I knew it, we were done. It only took a few minutes! All of the staff are very pleasant and professional, not a single bad thing to say.
Waldorf, MD |
Since I had my surgery my vision is great! It's wonderful to be able to see without glasses or contacts.
in Waldorf, MD |
All went as scheduled. By the next day, I could read all except the bottom line of the eye chart. Prior to the surgery, I couldn't see the top line without my glasses. I did not get the raindrop procedure but rarely need to wear reading glasses, and I am using the lowest strength. I am very happy that I had the surgery!
in Newburg, MD |
Dr. Whitten and his staff are great. I felt very comfortable with him and felt like I was in good hands. He has such a great bedside manner. My procedure was so quick and I had very little discomfort afterwards. I would definitely recommend Dr. Whitten to anyone thinking of getting Lasik.
in Richmond, VA |
The whole staff was cordial, polite, caring and understanding of my concerns. Wish I would of done this long time ago!!
Richmond, VA |
Dr. Whitten and his staff were amazing. The whole process was a well oiled machine. Unlike many other doctor's visits, I barely spent anytime in the waiting room. Dr. Whitten was great and talking you through the procedure and everyone was so friendly. It was a great experience and I feel like I have superhero vision.
in Richmond, VA |
From start to finish, everyone at this office was kind, helpful, re-assuring, compassionate, and overall amazing. I had a little anxiety going in, but at every step of the way there was a staff member there to ensure I was doing alright. Every appointment was extremely fast and efficient (from my first to the end of surgery ~2 hours). The procedure went flawlessly and my eyes have been better than perfect ever since! I would HIGHLY recommend Dr. Whitten and his staff for Lasik!
in Lusby, MD |
Dr. Whitten does great stuff. I highly recommend him if you are looking to get the surgery.
in Chester, VA |
AMAZING!!! At the time I had Lasik, I was 2 months shy of 47 and I've worn glasses since the 4th grade. I could not function with out my glasses. They went on as soon as I woke up and did not come off until I went to bed. Dr. Whitten changed my life. The only word I can think of to describe it is...AMAZING! I woke from the nap after the procedure and my vision was perfect. I could read the menu on the TV, street signs, score boards, you name it. I HIGHLY recommend Dr. Whitten!
in Hughesville, Md |
Dr. Whitten and his staff are very professional and caring. I felt well taken care of and was very at ease with the process. Wish I had done this sooner. But so happy I did.
in Lusby,MD |
He was reassuring and calm when i was extremely nervous....I wish I had done this years ago Dr. Whitten is an amazing doctor!
in Mechanicsville, Md |
BEST DECISION I'VE MADE IN MY LIFE!!! I am 50 years old and have had bad vision since 3rd grade (almost blind) Now I see better than 20/20 No pain a all HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY ?????????
Have you seen Dr. Mark Whitten, MD?
Are you Dr. Whitten?

CareFirst Maryland POS
    Southern Health PPO
    Emblem Health
  • Golden Rule
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
    GEHA