Dr. Mark Vital, MD

Dr. Mark Vital, MD

Ophthalmology  |

I was born in Beaumont, Texas but was quickly transplanted to Littleton, Colorado when I was just two months old. Colorado taught me to weather the cold and I soon learned to love the snow and became an enthusiastic skier. Each student of my sixth grade science class was assigned an organ of the body and instructed to write an informational paper on that organ. My assigned organ was the eye and I still have that report. Ever since, I have been passionate about the sense of sight and its preservation. The idea of entering medicine was an early and easy decision. My road through advanced education began with a move back to Texas in 1984 where I attended Cypress Creek High School in northwest Houston. I then attended Rice University and was elected President of Baker College. After graduating from Rice in 1993, I attended The University of Texas Southwestern in Dallas where I was lucky enough to meet my wonderful wife Kathie. At the conclusion of medical school in 1997, we returned to Houston where I completed my internship at St. Joseph Hospital and my ophthalmology residency at The University of Texas Hermann Hospital. My relationship with Houston Eye Associates (HEA) began in 2001 with my fellowship in Cornea and External and Infectious Disease with Dr. Jeffery Lanier. I was conferred certification by the American Board of Ophthalmology in 2002. I was honored to join Houston Eye Associates in 2002 because of the achievements and dedication of the physicians and staff that comprise the group. As the largest ophthalmology practice in Texas, HEA is able to offer its patients and consulting doctors advanced diagnostic testing and expert eye care in all of the sub-specialties of ophthalmology. In addition to several publications, I have been fortunate enough to have been recognized for my contributions in ophthalmology by being afforded the following awards and positions: Robert D. Moreton, MD Award for Outstanding Resident, 1999 and 2001 Chief Resident, 2000 The UTMB Troupe Resident Teaching Award, 2007 HEA Executive Committee member HEA Compliance Committee member HEA Quality Committee member HEA Foundation board member HEA EMR implementation team member Lions Eye Bank of Texas board member Medical Direct of Memorial Hermann Home Health Home Sight Program for low vision assistance I am a member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology, the Texas Ophthalmological Association, the Texas Medical Association, the Houston Ophthalmological Society, and the Harris County Medical Society. I am the proud father of a son, Coleman, and a daughter, Kennedy, who keep me grounded and keep me on my toes. My wife Kathie (Dr. Diase), is one of H Texas Magazine's Top Docs and practices obstetrics and gynecology at Southwest OB/GYN. She makes sure to remind me that I'm not the smartest one in our household. I enjoy performing normal comprehensive eye exams as well as treating complex ocular issues such as infections, trauma, corneal dystrophies, corneal scars, pterygia, cataracts and other anterior segment problems. My office works hard to accommodate major and minor ocular emergencies quickly. My philosophy for the practice of ophthalmology is to deliver quality medical and surgical interventions, when medically necessary, on an individualized basis, that help to preserve and improve ocular and general health. I strive to protect and improve the way my patients' eyes see, feel, and look.

Houston Eye Associates

2855 Gramercy St

Houston, TX 77025

• Amerigroup (Wellpoint)
  • Centene
  • EmblemHealth
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
  • HAP Insurance
  • HealthSmart

Learn about Dr. Vital

Our physicians are pioneers in new research and donate their time and skills to the Houston Eye Associates Foundation. The Houston Eye Associates Foundation is a non-profit foundation created by HEA to provide medical eye care services to those less fortunate by providing financial assistance for medical treatment and surgery of the eye.

Video

Dr. Vital's Experience

Dr. Vital's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Ophthalmology

• Corneal Ulcer
  • Diabetic Lens Osmosis
  • Diabetic Retinopathy
  • Diplopia
  • Drooping Eyelids (Ptosis)
  • Dry Age-Related Macular Degeneration
  • Lazy Eye
  • Lens Disorders
  • Macular Edema
  • Nearsightedness
  • Ocular Herpes (Herpes of the Eye)
  • Ocular Hypertension
  • Uveitis and Iridocyclitis
  • Visual Field Defects
  • Vitreous Hemorrhage
  • Wrong Power Intraocular Lens

• Anterior Lamellar Keratoplasty (ALK)
  • Anterior Segment Surgical Procedure
  • Eye Examination
  • Eye Procedure
  • Eye Surgery
  • Eyeglasses
  • No-Stitch Corneal Transplantation (DLEK)
  • Ocular Surface Reconstruction

• University Of Texas Houson Medical School
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2001
  • Cornea, External and Infectious Ocular Disease
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2002

Dr. Vital has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Vital does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Vital and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Vital's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Vital to family and friends
Dr. Vital Says:

Dr. Vital feels it is important that same day appointments are available for eye emergencies. We know that you did not plan to have an eye problem. We also understand how frightening and urgent a sudden eye problem can be. Therefore, we have designed our schedule to accommodate walk-ins and emergencies. It is common for other eye care providers to send serious and potentially blinding ocular...

Dr. Vital's Performance
in Bellaire, TX |
Great doctor Would highly recommend.
in Houston, TX |
The office was very nice and the staff was very helpful! I had an overall excellent experience.
Bellaire, TX |
I love to work with him if work is great. Very simple
Bellaire, TX |
First visit to this office and I'm thoroughly impressed. The staff was friendly, professional and my wait time was remarkable. I highly recommend Dr. Vital and this location.
in Bellaire, TX |
Exccellent bedside manner,efficient courteous staff, definitely would recommend dr. vital and staff.
in HOUSTON, TX |
I want to commend Dr. Vital on a job well done... With God working through him, the outcome will always be super !!! Thank you, appreciate you, &I let the God that we serve continue to allow the Holy Spirit to guide you... "In Jesus Name"!!!! God bless you !!
in Bellaire, TX |
Dr. Vital was a great experience curing my ulcer in the right eye everyone was so nice in this location and I'll be back in the future
Sugar Land, TX |
Excellent doctor and patient repore. A fine surgeon! All directions were specific and clear!
in Sugar Land, TX |
This issue started 4 years ago in Waco, and I moved here for a job promotion. My medical team here was able to offer me treatments that in Waco I was deemed to old to have . Dr. Vital performed a cornea transplant and now I can see again. I will be able to continue my passion which is teaching. Having had five surgeries I can tell you that the surgery that Dr. Vital performed was amazing. I was informed and I was not scared. His entire staff was amazing. Thank you!
in Missouri City, TX |
Significant improvement in ability to see. Operation was easy and made easy by the support of hospital and Dr team. First two to three days of recovery were the most difficult mostly from not knowing what the various feelings and issues might be. I will approach the second eye operation with much better understanding and attitude.
in Houston Texas 77006 |
Extremely good temperment with excellent explanation of what to expect before and after the surgery.
in Spring, TX |
Great communication with all phases of surgery. Glad to take time to answer any questions.
Houston, TX |
Dr Vital is very good. Front desk staff seemed to unfriendly and less than helpful at times. To patients and other employees.
Dr. Vital was the right choice! I looked for an expert that knows medicine and will answer my questions in a language I understand. You can trust him to give you professional options and see you as a person not just another 'case'. I feel I got the best outcomes possible and am very happy. His staff is welcoming and attentive.
in Houston, TX |
He good and well caring doctor, infact a Proffesional
in Houston, TX |
I am totally pleased with my experience with Dr. Vital and his staff. I can already see much more clearly and am confident that the improvement will continue. Thank you, Dr. Vital.
in Houston, TX |
The doctor and his staff are super friendly and very competent. They were very reassuring and answered all my questions. Very professional and reasonable organization. If you need glasses or cataract surgery, I recommend them very highly.
in Bellaire, TX |
Absolutely a wonderful experience! My new vision is better than it has been for over 35 or 40 years! Dr. Vital is as skilled a surgeon as I can think of, he is the best!
in Sugar Land, TX |
My experience, was extremely good. Every one were very curious and pleasant to be around. Overall from the exam through the surgery, I am very pleased. I highly recommend Dr. Vital and his staff for anyone needing eye care.
in Houston, TX |
Excellent - shows sincere compassion as a professional, always putting u first. More importantly, scheduled spots occur at the scheduled time !!
Houston, TX |
For us Dr. Vital is an Angel, he gave my mother her back. Very grateful with the service and help. Marcel Belloso is fabulous, we love him. We will come back
in Houston, TX |
Dr. Vital is a good doctor his helpful. I highly recommend him.
in Stafford, TX |
Professional but personable. Easy to talk too. No long waiting time.
in Houston, TX |
Two cataract surgeries later and I am able to really see. Dr. Vital is a great surgeon. His staff is capable and very nice to everyone. HEA is the place to go.
in Houston, TX |
After struggling with extreme dry eye (my eyelid was sticking to my eye at night--waking me up).....Dr. Vital had a diagnosis and solution after only 5 minutes after doing an exam and talking to me about my symptoms. It was corneal erosion and the answer was simple--over-the-counter saline gel and drops to ease this problem I'm now sleeping through the night without waking up with eye pain and worried about my eyelid sticking! (And a shout-out to his great staff who helped me too!)
in Magnolia, TX |
I was diagnosed with Fuch's dystrophy at 58 years old. Driving was becoming more difficult as street signs etc. were almost impossible to read until closeup. I also had early stages of cataracts to compound things. My optometrist actually diagnosed and sent me to Houston Eye. After meeting with Dr. Vital he approved me for corneal transplant and cataract surgery together. It's been 1 year since the second eye was done. The improvement was remarkable! Dr. Vital was the greatest thru it all! THKS!
in Houston, TX |
It's my second experience with Dr. Vital and staff, referred by my Dr.'s staff because of his absence. Each time they became available immediately, saw me quickly and attended me in the most professional way. I like Dr. Vital very much for his level of confidence, his quiet & respectful manner, his explanation of the problem, the solution and the application of the solution. I felt welcomed and well taken care of. If my doctor retires, I certainly would ask Dr. Vital to take me as patient.
in Houston, TX |
Professional, knowledgeable and competent. Answers all questions.
in Houston, TX |
Everyone at Dr. Vitals office is awesome. Complete and pleasant with all that they do.
in Houston, TX |
I met Dr Vital in February when I was diagnosed with Fuch's Dystrophy. I can't say enough how much I appreciate all he's done with improving my vision. Surgery was a great success. Dr Vital has a wonderful disposition, is patient when explaining procedures and is caring with all of his patients. After a lot of research on different Dr's in the Houston area that specialize in Fuch's I know I made the right decision in choosing him as my Dr.
in Houston, TX |
(1) As a surgeon, he seems to provide great surgical results (2) he is very easy to visit with and very nice to talk to (3) he gives one a sense of confidence about what they are about to have done (surgery)
in Houston, TX |
His demeanor was calm. He explained things clearly. I was impressed with his knowledge and felt comfortable with the suggestions he made about treatment of my cataracts.
in Houston, TX |
Dr. Vital did a wonderful job on my cataract surgery. I love my new eyes! The eye drops he prescribed, plus the care taken during the procedure, prevented any problems. He is very personable and has a good sense of humor. He clearly explained everything and answered all my questions, and I never felt rushed.
Have you seen Dr. Mark Vital, MD?

Visit Dr. Vital

Dr. Vital accepts 23 insurance carriers
  • Amerigroup (Wellpoint)
  • Centene
    Emblem Health
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
    GEHA