Dr. Mark Vital, MD

Dr. Mark Vital, MD

Ophthalmology  ·

Dr. Mark Vital, MD is an ophthalmology specialist in Houston, TX and has been practicing for 16 years. He specializes in ophthalmology, cataract surgery, and more.Read his story

Houston Eye Associates

• HealthSmart
  • HealthSmart - Interplan Health Group

Learn about Dr. Vital

Video

See how frequently Dr. Vital performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Corneal Diseases
Corneal Erosion
Corneal Ulcer

Dr. Vital's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. Vital's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Vital "I was born in Beaumont, Texas but was quickly transplanted to Littleton, Colorado when I was just two months old. Colorado taught me to weather the cold and I soon learned to love the snow and became an enthusiastic skier. Each student of my sixth grade science class was assigned an organ of the body and instructed to write an informational paper on that organ. My assigned organ was the eye and I still have that report. Ever since, I have been passionate about the sense of sight and its preservation. The idea of entering medicine was an early and easy decision. My road through advanced education began with a move back to Texas in 1984 where I attended Cypress Creek High School in northwest Houston. I then attended Rice University and was elected President of Baker College. After graduating from Rice in 1993, I attended The University of Texas Southwestern in Dallas where I was lucky enough to meet my wonderful wife Kathie. At the conclusion of medical school in 1997, we returned to Houston where I completed my internship at St. Joseph Hospital and my ophthalmology residency at The University of Texas Hermann Hospital. My relationship with Houston Eye Associates (HEA) began in 2001 with my fellowship in Cornea and External and Infectious Disease with Dr. Jeffery Lanier. I was conferred certification by the American Board of Ophthalmology in 2002. I was honored to join Houston Eye Associates in 2002 because of the achievements and dedication of the physicians and staff that comprise the group. As the largest ophthalmology practice in Texas, HEA is able to offer its patients and consulting doctors advanced diagnostic testing and expert eye care in all of the sub-specialties of ophthalmology. In addition to several publications, I have been fortunate enough to have been recognized for my contributions in ophthalmology by being afforded the following awards and positions: Robert D. Moreton, MD Award for Outstanding Resident, 1999 and 2001 Chief Resident, 2000 The UTMB Troupe Resident Teaching Award, 2007 HEA Executive Committee member HEA Compliance Committee member HEA Quality Committee member HEA Foundation board member HEA EMR implementation team member Lions Eye Bank of Texas board member Medical Direct of Memorial Hermann Home Health Home Sight Program for low vision assistance I am a member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology, the Texas Ophthalmological Association, the Texas Medical Association, the Houston Ophthalmological Society, and the Harris County Medical Society. I am the proud father of a son, Coleman, and a daughter, Kennedy, who keep me grounded and keep me on my toes. My wife Kathie (Dr. Diase), is one of H Texas Magazine's Top Docs and practices obstetrics and gynecology at Southwest OB/GYN. She makes sure to remind me that I'm not the smartest one in our household. I enjoy performing normal comprehensive eye exams as well as treating complex ocular issues such as infections, trauma, corneal dystrophies, corneal scars, pterygia, cataracts and other anterior segment problems. My office works hard to accommodate major and minor ocular emergencies quickly. My philosophy for the practice of ophthalmology is to deliver quality medical and surgical interventions, when medically necessary, on an individualized basis, that help to preserve and improve ocular and general health. I strive to protect and improve the way my patients' eyes see, feel, and look."

This content was provided by Dr. Vital "My philosophy for the practice of ophthalmology is to deliver quality medical and surgical interventions, when medically necessary, on an individualized basis, that help to preserve and improve your ocular and general health."

• Ophthalmology

• Corneal Ulcer
  • Diabetic Lens Osmosis
  • Diabetic Retinopathy
  • Diplopia
  • Drooping Eyelids (Ptosis)
  • Dry Age-Related Macular Degeneration
  • Lens Disorders
  • Macular Edema
  • Macular Hole
  • Nearsightedness
  • Ocular Herpes (Herpes of the Eye)
  • Ocular Hypertension
  • Visual Field Defects
  • Vitreous Hemorrhage
  • Wet Age-Related Macular Degeneration
  • Wrong Power Intraocular Lens

• Anterior Lamellar Keratoplasty (ALK)
  • Anterior Segment Surgical Procedure
  • Eyeglasses
  • Femtosecond Laser-Assisted Cataract Surgery
  • Foreign Body Removal from Eye
  • Laser Cataract Surgery
  • No-Stitch Corneal Transplantation (DLEK)
  • Ocular Prosthetics

• University Of Texas Houson Medical School
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2001
  • Cornea, External and Infectious Ocular Disease
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2002

Dr. Vital has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Vital does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Vital and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Vital's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Vital to family and friends

Dr. Vital's Performance

Dr. Vital Says:
"

Dr. Vital feels it is important that same day appointments are available for eye emergencies. We know that you did not plan to have an eye problem. We also understand how frightening and urgent a sudden eye problem can be. Therefore, we have designed our schedule to accommodate walk-ins and emergencies. It is common for other eye care providers to send serious and potentially blinding ocular emergencies to our clinic at a moment s

...

Excellent doctor and person he took the time to, explain things to me
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon option0thumbs down icon option0
He is an excellent doctor with good bedside manners. He was very patient and explained everything thoroughly!!
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon option0thumbs down icon option0
Staff was very professional. I got to the office ahead of my schedule and I was seen immediately did not have to wait.
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon option0thumbs down icon option0
I'm very pleased that I was referred to him. He explains all the processes that he will be taking, have a good patient relationship, which sometimes some doctors don't have. Make a long story short I would recommend him to my family and friends.
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon option0thumbs down icon option0
Dr vital took care of my cataracts and corneal issues great. He explained everything in deal and answered all my concerns and questions.
Are you Dr. Vital?