Dr. Mark Syms, MD

• Accountable Health Plans of America
  • Alta Health Network
  • Ameriben
  • American Republic
  • Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS)
  • AZ Benefit Options
  • AZ Foundation Medical Care (AZFMC)
  • Bankers Life and Casualty
  • Banner Health
  • Bashas Benefit Trust

Dr. Syms specializes in Neurotology and practices in Phoenix, AZ. He practices at 1 location.

Are you Dr. Syms? Add your own statement here.

Dr. Syms' Experience

See how Dr. Syms' experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Syms

Dr. Syms accepts 79 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 2 hospitals where Dr. Syms has admitting privileges.

Dr. Syms' Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Syms to family and friends
2.7
Dr. Syms' Performance
in Riverdale il |
60 years i was reading lips. March 31 2015. Dr Symes gave me a implant and a new life. he and his staff are wonderfully acknowledged with the hand of God to heal. I hear birds sing. Thank you and i will always love y'all!!! God Bless you!
Glendale, AZ |
I was waiting for my implant surgery date to find out at last minute they do not accept my BCBS insurance. So no I have to go through the entire process again with a diff doctor.
I am sorry about the issue with your insurance. Your insurance was approving your visits at our office during your evaluation for a cochlear implant. If you are out of network and your insurance was approving your visit - they usually will approve your surgery as well. Please contact your insurance and ask them why they stopped approving your care. Perhaps your insurance wants you to start over with a new doctor with the hopes you never get an implant. I would like you to hear better.
Phoenix, AZ |
I met Dr Syms for a pinhole sized hole in my ear drum that I have had for a couple of years. He performed a tympanoplasty to patch the hole with a piece of my ear-lobe which was unsuccessful. He then performed a second tympanoplasty and cut my ear open to patch the entire bottom half of my ear-lobe. This surgery was also unsuccessful. My hearing before the surgery was perfect, and now I have lost a good majority of hearing out of the ear. He has since referred me to another doctor.
I am sorry you did not get the desired outcome from surgery. During our discussions it seemed you had questions about my ability to close the hole. Your review very clearly reflects this sentiment. Due to this, I recommended you see one of my colleagues. If this is not the desired course of care - I will gladly see you back for further discussions and possible management of your ear.
in LAKE HAVASU |
Great doc. Right on the
in Phoenix, Az |
Dr Syms very straight forward and calls it how he sees it what all docs should do. He takes any route before a conclusion of surgery with our son. I feared my son would have a huge nasty scar and be in pain. All i can say is wow. Dr Syms did the most amazing work we now have a happy little boy who can hear and no longer suffering. Thank you thank you for do an amazing job. Hands dow best ENT our there.. ;) Carr Family
Mesa, AZ |
This Dr is NEGLIGENT! He knew I had a remote history of a brain tumor. But when I came for eval of ear pain & hearing loss, he disregarded this, diagnosed me w/ a rare ear tumor on CT scan, & filleted my ear to remove it in a long surgery taking hrs longer than est. Scant w/ details of the surgery, when I cont. to have hearing loss & pain, he finally got an MRI about 1mo later. He rudely told me my tumor relapsed and he couldn't do anything. How about paying for the needless surgery he did?!?
in Peoria, AZ |
He is a very knowledgeable and trustworthy doctor. He's easy to communicate with and will ensure you understand what's been discussed. I highly recommend him.
in Phoenix, AZ |
Was rude, arrogant, irritable, like he needed a smoke. Not helpful. Exam was quick look in ear.Spent most time telling his attitude, philosophies and theories about patient care and his role or non-role.He would not look at the the reports from other Drs He ordered a test, on f/u told me radiologist was wrong in identifying my problem as opposed to Dr. Syms saying everything was normal prior to the test. He denied symptoms, ignored history. If he was a washing machine mechanic, I would not pay.
I am sorry I fell very short of meeting your expectations. I strive to provide excellent care. I was attempting to help you navigate the health care system. Sometimes a patient's problem is outside of the scope of my care and patients are frustrated with being bounced around the system. There are problems I have expertise in treating and others I do not. I was attempting to explain why I was not able to help you regarding your specific problem. Clearly, I fell short and for that I am sorry
in Silver City, NM |
I was glad I chose Dr. Syms as a provider. He is knowledgeable, experienced and professional.
in Queen Creek, AZ |
I scheduled the biopsy for two months out and my insurance wasn't checked until LESS THAN a week prior to the biopsy which is when I was told they would need $866.14 UP FRONT with NO option for a payment plan, this did not include hospital fees or the anastasia that would be used (the hospital does have a payment plan however, Dr. Syms does not). The kicker is they sent this to me, VIA TEXT MESSAGE. I would never recommend this doctor. His staff is very rude as is he.
Phoenix, AZ |
Honestly I was a little nervous to see Dr. Syms when I read some of the reviews, but found Dr. Syms to be really great. I took my elderly father to see him and Dr. Syms was very kind and patient with him. He explained things well and made them in easy language for us to understand.
Phoenix, Arizona |
VERY oppression and encourage parent of deaf childrens to have cochlear implant. I'm wonder does Deaf Doctor encourage parents to remove cochlear so children can't hear anymore? Would it sound fair? Think about it. Also it's conflict of interest he is serve on board of director at State School for the Deaf and the Blind which it run by State of Arizona Governor. Also school are strong use American Sign Language. EVEN he is board of director at school and HE doesn't know SIGN LANGUAGE.
Have you seen Dr. Mark Syms, MD?

Dr. Syms' experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Neurotology
  •  Board certified in Neurotology and Otolaryngology
  •  Malpractice claims in Arizona not available

Dr. Syms has no media or publications listed.

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Arizona.

Why It Matters: Dr. Syms' Board Certifications

• Outer Ear Infection
  • Pediatric Cholesteatomas
  • Pediatric Hearing Loss
  • Perforated Eardrum
  • Perilymph Fistula (PLF)
  • Swimmer's Ear

Jefferson Medical College Of Thomas Jefferson University, Thomas Jefferson University

Graduated in 1993

Thomas Jefferson University Hospital
    Tripler Regional Medical Center-Honolulu, Hi
    House Ear Clinic, Inc.

Dr. Syms does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Syms and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Neurotology

• Endolymphatic Mastoid Shunt
  • Hearing Aid
  • Mastoidectomy
  • Pediatric Cochlear Implants
  • Perforated Eardrum Repair (Tympanoplasty)
  • Stapedectomy