Dr. Mark Syms, MD

Dr. Mark Syms, MD

Neurotology  |

Dr. Mark Syms, MD is a neurotology doctor who practices in Phoenix, AZ. He is 49 years old and has been practicing for 24 years. Dr. Syms is affiliated with Phoenix Children's Hospital and Dignity Health - St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center.

Arizona Ear Center

2627 N 3rd St Ste 201

Phoenix, AZ 85004

• AARP
  • Accountable Health Plans of America
  • Alta Health Network
  • Ameriben
  • American Republic
  • Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS)
  • AZ Benefit Options
  • AZ Foundation Medical Care (AZFMC)
  • Bankers Life and Casualty
  • Banner Health
  • Bashas Benefit Trust

Learn about Dr. Syms

See how frequently Dr. Syms performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Acoustic Neuroma
Otosclerosis
Perforated Eardrum Repair (Tympanoplasty)

Dr. Syms's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

• Neurotology

• Outer Ear Infection
  • Pediatric Cholesteatomas
  • Pediatric Hearing Loss
  • Perforated Eardrum
  • Perilymph Fistula (PLF)
  • Swimmer's Ear

• Endolymphatic Mastoid Shunt
  • Hearing Aid
  • Mastoidectomy
  • Pediatric Cochlear Implants
  • Perforated Eardrum Repair (Tympanoplasty)
  • Stapedectomy
  • Stereotactic Radiosurgery
  • Wound Repair

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Arizona.

• Jefferson Medical College Of Thomas Jefferson University, Thomas Jefferson University
    Medical School | Graduated 1993
  • Thomas Jefferson University Hospital
    Internship Hospital | Completed
  • Tripler Regional Medical Center-Honolulu, Hi
  • House Ear Clinic, Inc.
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed

Dr. Syms has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Syms does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Syms and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Syms' Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Syms to family and friends
2.9
Dr. Syms' Performance
Fargo |
Dr. Syms is arrogant and incompetent. I recommend that you do not waste your time going to this man.
Placentia, CA |
Dr Syms is such a good doctor. He really cares about his patients and works hard to help people. I definetly reccomend Dr Syms!!
in Fountain Hills, AZ |
I am 65 and have never reviewed a doctor before.......am compelled to write this because I am SO impressed. I've been dealing with an ear issue for several months that has made me crazy but is likely very common .... Dr. Syms listened to me, acknowledged my frustration, and explained, in great detail, what was happening to me, and what I could expect. The fact that he personally came to the waiting room to introduce himself and take me to the exam room was most astounding and appreciated!!
in Peoria, AZ |
Dr. Syms is an amazing doctor and surgeon., He explains everything in terms that anyone can understand. His entire staff is awesome. I would not hesitate to refer him to anyone.
in Phoenix, AZ |
Dr. Syms did a surgery to patch a hole in my ear drum. He was professional he answered all my questions and did a good job. I've seen ear doctors all my life and Dr. Syms is one i would reccommend. He is a good doctor.
in Peoria, AZ |
When it comes to my health knowledge and experience is what matters most. Dr. Syms is one of the leading experts in Neurotology; thorough in examination, and straight to the point in diagnosis and treatment. Him and his staff are highly trained, punctual, and quick to respond to any need or question I may have.
in Phoenix, AZ |
Dr. Syms sees both of my young children. We have been extremely pleased with Dr. Syms and his office staff. Dr. Syms has always answered our numerous questions and never rushed us. His office staff squeezed our son in for a last minute appointment and then a needed surgery the very next day. We trust Dr. Syms' opinion, and we feel very blessed to have found him to treat our children.
in Riverdale il |
60 years i was reading lips. March 31 2015. Dr Symes gave me a implant and a new life. he and his staff are wonderfully acknowledged with the hand of God to heal. I hear birds sing. Thank you and i will always love y'all!!! God Bless you!
Glendale, AZ |
I was waiting for my implant surgery date to find out at last minute they do not accept my BCBS insurance. So no I have to go through the entire process again with a diff doctor.
I am sorry about the issue with your insurance. Your insurance was approving your visits at our office during your evaluation for a cochlear implant. If you are out of network and your insurance was approving your visit - they usually will approve your surgery as well. Please contact your insurance and ask them why they stopped approving your care. Perhaps your insurance wants you to start over with a new doctor with the hopes you never get an implant. I would like you to hear better.
Phoenix, AZ |
I met Dr Syms for a pinhole sized hole in my ear drum that I have had for a couple of years. He performed a tympanoplasty to patch the hole with a piece of my ear-lobe which was unsuccessful. He then performed a second tympanoplasty and cut my ear open to patch the entire bottom half of my ear-lobe. This surgery was also unsuccessful. My hearing before the surgery was perfect, and now I have lost a good majority of hearing out of the ear. He has since referred me to another doctor.
I am sorry you did not get the desired outcome from surgery. During our discussions it seemed you had questions about my ability to close the hole. Your review very clearly reflects this sentiment. Due to this, I recommended you see one of my colleagues. If this is not the desired course of care - I will gladly see you back for further discussions and possible management of your ear.
in LAKE HAVASU |
Great doc. Right on the
in Phoenix, Az |
Dr Syms very straight forward and calls it how he sees it what all docs should do. He takes any route before a conclusion of surgery with our son. I feared my son would have a huge nasty scar and be in pain. All i can say is wow. Dr Syms did the most amazing work we now have a happy little boy who can hear and no longer suffering. Thank you thank you for do an amazing job. Hands dow best ENT our there.. ;) Carr Family
Mesa, AZ |
This Dr is NEGLIGENT! He knew I had a remote history of a brain tumor. But when I came for eval of ear pain & hearing loss, he disregarded this, diagnosed me w/ a rare ear tumor on CT scan, & filleted my ear to remove it in a long surgery taking hrs longer than est. Scant w/ details of the surgery, when I cont. to have hearing loss & pain, he finally got an MRI about 1mo later. He rudely told me my tumor relapsed and he couldn't do anything. How about paying for the needless surgery he did?!?
in Peoria, AZ |
He is a very knowledgeable and trustworthy doctor. He's easy to communicate with and will ensure you understand what's been discussed. I highly recommend him.
in Phoenix, AZ |
Was rude, arrogant, irritable, like he needed a smoke. Not helpful. Exam was quick look in ear.Spent most time telling his attitude, philosophies and theories about patient care and his role or non-role.He would not look at the the reports from other Drs He ordered a test, on f/u told me radiologist was wrong in identifying my problem as opposed to Dr. Syms saying everything was normal prior to the test. He denied symptoms, ignored history. If he was a washing machine mechanic, I would not pay.
I am sorry I fell very short of meeting your expectations. I strive to provide excellent care. I was attempting to help you navigate the health care system. Sometimes a patient's problem is outside of the scope of my care and patients are frustrated with being bounced around the system. There are problems I have expertise in treating and others I do not. I was attempting to explain why I was not able to help you regarding your specific problem. Clearly, I fell short and for that I am sorry
in Silver City, NM |
I was glad I chose Dr. Syms as a provider. He is knowledgeable, experienced and professional.
in Queen Creek, AZ |
I scheduled the biopsy for two months out and my insurance wasn't checked until LESS THAN a week prior to the biopsy which is when I was told they would need $866.14 UP FRONT with NO option for a payment plan, this did not include hospital fees or the anastasia that would be used (the hospital does have a payment plan however, Dr. Syms does not). The kicker is they sent this to me, VIA TEXT MESSAGE. I would never recommend this doctor. His staff is very rude as is he.
Phoenix, AZ |
Honestly I was a little nervous to see Dr. Syms when I read some of the reviews, but found Dr. Syms to be really great. I took my elderly father to see him and Dr. Syms was very kind and patient with him. He explained things well and made them in easy language for us to understand.
Phoenix, Arizona |
VERY oppression and encourage parent of deaf childrens to have cochlear implant. I'm wonder does Deaf Doctor encourage parents to remove cochlear so children can't hear anymore? Would it sound fair? Think about it. Also it's conflict of interest he is serve on board of director at State School for the Deaf and the Blind which it run by State of Arizona Governor. Also school are strong use American Sign Language. EVEN he is board of director at school and HE doesn't know SIGN LANGUAGE.
Have you seen Dr. Mark Syms, MD?

Visit Dr. Syms

• Alta Health Network
  • Ameriben
  • American Republic
    Motorola Health Plans
  • Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS)
    American Indian Health Plan
  • AZ Benefit Options
  • AZ Foundation Medical Care (AZFMC)
    AZ Foundation Medical Care (AZFMC) EPO
    Cigna Healthcare of Arizona
    Cigna POS
    Great West Healthcare-Cigna
  • City of Mesa Health Plan
  • Compassionate Care Network (CCN)
  • Comprehensive Medical and Dental Program (CMDP)
  • Concentra
  • CoreSource
  • CRS
  • EBMS
  • Golden Rule
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
    GEHA
    Humana PPO
  • Indian Health Service
  • Liberty Mutual Insurance Company
  • LifeWise
  • Mail Handlers Benefit Plan (MHBP)
  • Maricopa Foundation For Medical Care
    Administrative Enterprises
  • MetLife
  • Monumental Life Insurance Company
    RAN/AMN
  • National Association for the Self-Employed (NASE)
  • One Health
  • Operating Engineers Health & Welfare Plan
  • PHCS
    PHCS PPO
  • Phoenix Health Plan
    AHCCCS - AZ Health Care Cost Containment System
    Phoenix Health Plan (w/prior authorization)
  • Physicians Mutual
  • Principal Life
  • Private HealthCare Systems
  • Prudential
  • SCAN Health Plan
  • Self Pay
  • Southwest Service Administrators, Inc.
  • State Farm