Dr. Mark Spatola, MD

Dr. Mark Spatola, MD

Neurosurgery  |

Dr. Mark Spatola, MD is a neurosurgery doctor who practices in Orange Park, FL. He is 62 years old and has been practicing for 36 years. Read his story

Orange Park Neurosurgery

2021 Kingsley Ave Ste 101

Orange Park, FL 32073

• AvMed
  • Beech Street (Multiplan)
  • Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida
  • Gallagher Basset
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
  • Mail Handlers Benefit Plan (MHBP)
  • Private HealthCare Systems

Learn about Dr. Spatola

Video

See how frequently Dr. Spatola performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Spondylosis
Spine Disorders
Spinal Stenosis

Dr. Spatola's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. Spatola's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Spatola "Mark A. Spatola, M.D. FAANS Born and raised in New Jersey, graduated Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Doctor of Medicine degree from Rutgers New Jersey Medical School, general surgery and neurosurgery residencies at Albert Einstein College of Medicine and Montefiore Medical Center, New York. Moved to North Florida, on staff at Orange Park Medical Center since 1988;previously on staff at Memorial Medical Center, St. Lukes Hospital, BaptistMedical Center, St Vincents Medical Center and Shands Jacksonville. Practices at present solely at Orange Park Medical Center,where he is Chief of the Section of Neurosurgery. Previous positionsheld at Orange Park Medical Center include Chief of Medical StaffChief of Surgery, Moderator of the Board of Trustees,Chairman of Ethics Committee and Institutional Review Board.Also served as Chair of Intecare Physician network, and on the board ofOrange Park Independent Practice Association. Professional memberships: Clay County Medical Society, Florida Medical Association, Florida Neurosurgical Society, American Association of Neurological Surgeons, Congress of Neurological Surgeons. Board Certified by the American Board of Neurological Surgery, andlicensed to practice medicine in the state of Florida. Organized neurosurgical activities include Chairman of the Ethics Committee of the American Association of Neurological Surgeons,Chairman of Board of Directors of ThinkFirst National Injury PreventionFoundation, Naperville IL, Vice Chairman of NeurosurgeryPAC, Washington DC. Volunteer activities include service on the board of directors for Concert on the Green, St Johns River State College Foundation, and the Jacksonville Symphony. Neurosurgical teaching includes University of Florida, Gainesville, department of neurosurgery and Brooks College of Health, Jacksonville. Has lectured at the American Association of Neurological Surgeons,the World Federation of Neurological Surgeons, and the Florida Neurosurgery Society. Has published articles in the Journal of Neurosurgery, Neurosurgery, and Neurosurgeon. Has appeared on radio, local and national TV."

This content was provided by Dr. Spatola "Our mission:

-do what's best for the patient

-avoid surgery if possible

-do the best, safest, smallest operation possible

-explain the risks, benefits and alternatives to surgery

-aim for the best possible result

-communicate with the referring physician

-see patients and schedule surgery in a timely manner

-treat each patient with respect"

• Neurosurgery

• Subdural Hemorrhage

• Abscess or Cyst Drainage or Aspiration
  • Disc Replacement
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Minimally Invasive Surgery

• Albert Einstein College of Medicine/Montefiore Medical Center
    Internship Hospital | Completed 1982
  • Albert Einstein College of Medicine/Montefiore Medical Center
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1988

Dr. Spatola has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Spatola does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Spatola and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Spatola's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Spatola to family and friends
4.1
Dr. Spatola's Performance
in Orange Park, FL |
When you are in pain and told MRI shows “bulge” in your spine only scary thoughts go through your mind. Dr Spatola went over the MRI with my wife and me, explained treatment options and truthfully provided his expert advice. I walked out of the office feeling relieved and ready to start my PT. His patience, truthfulness, and no nonsense approach was refreshing and appreciated. I know I have work to do to help myself back to my health but also know I have a highly professional neurosurgeon gui
in Middleburg, FL |
I’m a 26 year old young man that’s L5/S1 disc was badly ruptured 7mm+ protrusion on my sciatic nerve. Dealing with pain for 14 months and being told to deal with it I was referred to Dr. Spatola. Had my first appt and the Dr seemed to care about my well being and wanted to do what was best for me. He got updated imaging and found a solution. Within 2 months was in surgery! Feeling almost 100% and I’m only 14 days post op,He also personally updated my family during surgery So very thankful for Dr
in Orange Park, Fl |
Never would I ever recommend him to anyone. I was worse after his surgery on my back, but he wouldn't even talk to me about anything else that might be done to help. Fortunately, I found a spinal genius in Gainesville (Dr. Cauthen--retired now) that literally saved my life. I also know several others whom Spatola messed up. I also had a friend who died during brain surgery with him--couldn't help but wonder!!
What can I say about Dr. Spatola that would express the gratitude that my wife and I have for this brilliant caring surgeon. Dr. Spatola gave my wife her life back by removing a golf ball size tumor from her brain. Although the tumor was no malignant it was wrapped around the optic nerve of her left eye and the area which registers smell. Dr. Spatola completely removed it without affecting her sight, smell or taste. It has been now over 7 years since the operation and the tumor has not returned.
in Orange Park, FL |
My mother recently had back surgery a few months ago in which she had a few nerves cut. She is more disabled now than she was before the surgery. The office staff are rude and act like they don't want to be bothered or care that a patient is worse off now than before surgery. You're supposed to help my mother instead you made her worse and drastically decreased her quality of life. Stay away from this dr as his bedside manner is deplorable.
in Fleming Island |
August 204 Dr Spatola performed surgery on my neck, 3 levels with peak and cage. He saw me on a Monday and did surgery on Friday since a slight bump on head could have paralyzed me with my injury. I had suffered debilitating migraines and neck pain from a car accident for years. I also am a nurse and had cared for his patients for years. He and Effie gave me my life back. The most wonderful and professional people you will ever meet. I trust him with my life, a true blessing.
in Orange Park, FL |
Dr. Spatola performed back surgery on me back in January 2016, I had herniated discs with spinal stenosis, I was in constant pain for years, I could not stand or walk for more than 5 minutes without being in horrible pain. I am happy to say that after 1 month of recovery I was pain free, and to this day continue to be pain free. I can not recommend Doctor Spatola enough..I got my life back, I can walk and stand all day long with absolutely no pain. Thank you Doctor Spatola !
in Orange Park, Fl |
I LOVE Dr. Spatola! He has performed two back surgeries on me and I have had nothing but great experience from him. I also recommend him to everyone I know and have sent him six more patients that have not one complaint about Him!
in Hawthorne Fl. |
I would not recommend Dr. Spatula after my neck operation he left me partially paralyze and admitted to damaging my spinal cord. After he got paid by my insurance he blew me off and refuse to see me anymore. His staff is the RUDEST people I have ever dealt with. They are just motivated by money and have no interest in their patients. He should have is license revoke. $200.000.00 plus per operation and blowing your patient off when they have problems with your work is a great scam.
in Jacksonville, FL |
Doctor Spatola discovered I had a brain tumor on a Friday and scheduled me for surgery the following Tuesday. His care and skills is top notch, I trust him and his skills with my life. I have seen Doctor Spatola on numerous other occasions and he always shows such personal care and has the best bed side manor of any doctor that I have ever dealt with. Clay County, Florida is very lucky to have a doctor of his skill in our area.
in Middleburg, FL |
Dr. Spatola is professional in the finest sense of the word, dress, demeanor and treatment. He is excellent at explaining your condition, options and talking to you about your recommended treatment. I would trust him with any treatment or surgery he recommends.
in Middleburg fl |
Came out of surgery with the same problem I had before I had it. I had surgery to stay away from pain medication now after surgery I can't work our live a somewhat normal life without them. And still paying O.P. Med center. Quality of life poor
in Middleburg, FL |
My experience with Dr. Spatola was wonderful. He was very focused & supportive of my choice. Concerned with my pain level. Very honest, humble & cordial. He was right on the mark for getting rid of my pain and preventing my future in a wheelchair. I had 3 opinions, and Dr. Spatola's won by far. I spoke with lots of people that had gone to him for surgery in the past and raved about his work. I spoke with Nurses that work along side of him in OR and they praised him. My surgery was as he said.
Have you seen Dr. Mark Spatola, MD?
Are you Dr. Spatola?

Visit Dr. Spatola

Dr. Spatola accepts 17 insurance carriers
    Choice PPO
  • AvMed
    AvMed HMO
    AvMed POS
    AvMed PPO
  • Beech Street (Multiplan)
    Blue Advantage HMO
  • Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida
    Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida PPO
    Great West Healthcare-Cigna
  • Gallagher Basset
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
    GEHA
    Gold
    Tricare
  • Mail Handlers Benefit Plan (MHBP)
  • Private HealthCare Systems