Dr. Mark Shaya, MD

Neurosurgery •  Male • Age 45

Dr. Mark Shaya, MD is a neurosurgery specialist in Miami, FL and has been practicing for 15 years. He specializes in neurosurgery, sports medicine pain management, and more.

Neurosurgical Institute of Florida

88.0794701986755%

Dr. Shaya?
Dr. Shaya's Performance
What People Say About Dr. Mark Shaya, MD
Being a registered nurse you get very particular about the doctors that you see. I was fortunate enough to be recommended to Dr. Shaya about six years ago and he did my third spinal surgery which was a success in my cervical spine . His bedside manner I wish you print it out for all physicians to follow and he really cares for his patient.
MrsBSN – Apr 04, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mark Shaya, MD?
By happenstance (and very fortunately for me), a benign tumor ws found on my right auditory nerve before it had a chance to grow and cause serious issues . I researched and was able to find Dr. Shaya . He quickly prescribed a course of treatment to inhibit the growth of the tumor. Follow-ups with him have proven him to be both knowledgeable and experienced. At a time when my thoughts were going all over the board, he has provided a stable and calm background for me to feel comfortable about the future. Many thanks to Dr. Shaya and his staff. Good luck to them in this time of craziness.
Mar 31, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mark Shaya, MD?
Dr. Shaya saved my husband’s life. After a year of working with a major Michigan university we were told to call hospice and prepare for the worst. I sent all of my husband’s brain images for Dr. Shaya’s review. We had a film review by phone and a conversation about his interpretation of the scans. He gave us clear direction for next steps. We followed his advice. My husband is doing extremely well. He’s exercising and able to function mentally as he did 10 years ago! We are so glad we followed our friends’ recommendation to contact Dr. Shaya. We are forever grateful for Dr. Shaya’s sincere help in getting my husband’s life back! Dr. Shaya is warm, brilliant and caring.
Terry Viazanko – Mar 14, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mark Shaya, MD?
After seeing two other doctors over a three month period with no results for disc herniation which was pressing on my sciatic nerve causing constant pain, I sought out Dr. Shaya knowing I would need spinal fusion surgery (S1 - L4) and wanted the best of the best to perform same. I had the surgery in December 2019 and know I found the best. Dr. Shaya is brilliant, experienced, and did an amazing job. I am now pain free and am getting back into my regular workout routine. I would not hesitate to do it all over again - he truly is exceptional in his field. His staff is also very friendly and helpful.
Chandra – Feb 27, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mark Shaya, MD?
I came to Dr. Shaya for my back and neck. He put 3 bars in my lumbar and I am pain free. I also had an ACDF surgery and it was a great success. He is a good and caring Dr and I get taken care of good he explains everything. I would not go to anyone else.
Linda C Kleckler – Feb 10, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mark Shaya, MD?
Dr.Shaya again was able to do what no other surgeons were able to do and that was to operate on my sons neck where others just strung him along leaving my son with excruciating pain 24 hours a day. Why,why,why? After seven days my son was free of pain.Dr.Shaya is the absolute “Best”??.
Thomas V Amendola. – Nov 24, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mark Shaya, MD?
After 10 long years of suffering with chronic cervical pain and several consultations with other neurosurgeons, I saw Dr. Mark Shaya's excellent reviews and immediately made an appointment to see him within a few days. I needed surgery on my cervical spine. He explained the details to me and what to expect. It has been 9 weeks since my ACDF C5-C6 surgery and I feel great, the pain has improved incredibly. Aventura Hospital stay was very pleasant they even had a bed in the room for my family member. Dr. Shaya is a extremely knowledgeable and caring neurosurgeon and his staff are very professional and caring to their patients. I feel very confident with the care I received from Dr. Shaya and I highly recommend him. Thank You Dr. Shaya.
Ramon in Tampa, FL – Nov 18, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mark Shaya, MD?
Dr. Shaya and his team are remarkable! I have been seeing Dr. Shaya since 2016 for LSpine herniation and he has always been so professional, courteous and informative. I really appreciated his conservative approach, the treatment options that he recommended and feel that he genuinely cares for his patients' well being. Last month I injured myself and had to get a injection with him at North Shore Hospital. Considering all the pain I was in, the experience was extremely pleasant from start to finish. I work in healthcare quality and highly recommend Dr. Mark Shaya as he is not only extremely competent in his work but is also creative in his approach and asks the questions needed to better access the patient as a whole around their area of concern. I trust his abilities 100%. I am grateful to Dr. Shaya and his staff!
Adrianna Sperkacz – Jul 22, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mark Shaya, MD?
Thank Dr. Shaya. My pain is gone no more numbness in my left arm and no lack of strength. You really improved my life completely. No need for surgery. The traction and laser treatment were great. Leo Fierro.
Leo Fierro in Miami, FL – Jun 10, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mark Shaya, MD?
I would have had back surgery had it not been for Dr. Shaya. The laser treatments and traction table have been a life saver for me! I would recommend seeing Dr. Shaya before going forward with any type of surgery. Very professional, personal and helpful office staff. Excellent Dr.!
Edward Kemp in Boynton Beach, FL – May 31, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mark Shaya, MD?
Excelente doctor Muy profesional y con gran experiencia Gracias siempre Dr Shaya nuestra familia aprecia mucho que gracias a usted mi esposo ya no vive con dolor
Marta valenzuela in Hialeah , FL – Mar 29, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mark Shaya, MD?
After discovering the tarlov cysts on an MRI, we researched and found Dr. Shaya. He personally responded to my emails almost immediately and we spoke on the phone several times before traveling to see him. After 5 years of unrelenting nerve pain down my leg, it was gone the day I woke up from surgery. I anticipate all other pain to go away as well (only 14 days post opp). Dr. Shaya changed our lives with his eagerness to help and kind but exquisite expertise. Thank you, Dr. Shaya!
Carrie Turpin in Pensacola, FL – Feb 12, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mark Shaya, MD?
Great doctor , thanks to him I am still walking!
Walsin in Hialeah, FL – Jan 27, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mark Shaya, MD?
I went to Dr. Shaya in chronic pain. I brought in my MRI film as well as my reports and he new just what to do to make the pain go away. I needed surgery on my cervical spine. He explained the details to me and what to expect....I am PAIN FREE! Two thumbs up, I’m a very pleased patient.
Lisa Wallace in Miami – Jan 25, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mark Shaya, MD?
Very knowledgeable, he speaks frankly with no sugar coating, and EXPLAINED MY ISSUE in detail, I haven’t notice that before on any previous doctors’ meetings. I have lumbar arthritis, bulged disks with sciatic pain, and many years with back pain make you deeply incredulous, but his advice resolve my issue, I got my life back. I’m very grateful for his care, wisdom and good heart. I was expecting to easy my pain but actually BE OUT of pain has been a life change. I recommend him to anyone!
Axel in Miami, FL – Jan 10, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mark Shaya, MD?
Dr. Shaya has done more than one surgery for my mom and we wouldn’t trust anyone else to have taken care of her neck and back issues. Her recovery time is always fast and her surgeries were both done to perfection. He is the BEST in his field in our opinion. Not only is he Top at what he does but he genuinely cares for his patients. I thank God every day for bringing him into my moms life. He takes time to explain things in detail, and answer every question and concern.
Denise Gursky and Linda Kleckler in Miami , FL – Jan 04, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mark Shaya, MD?
Dr. Shaya is a extremely knowledgeable and caring Neuro Surgeon. I feel very confident with the care I receive from Dr. Shaya and I highly recommend him.
Abelardo Roman in Miami, FL – Jul 19, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mark Shaya, MD?
Dr Shaya had operated on me several years ago. I had cerical stenosis and scar tissue removal of the spine. His expertise and bed side manner should be highly praised. An absolute treasure to the medical community...His staff is empathetic, courteous & easy to communicate with. I have total confidence in Dr. Shaya who is still taking care of me with an additional neck injury on the golf course which happened this year March 2018. Thank you Dr Shaya L Adelman
L Adelman in Boynton Beach, Fl – May 02, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mark Shaya, MD?
I went to Dr. Shaya for a second opinion, because the first doctor wanted to cut twice. Dr. Shaya answer ever question I ask and told me that it wasn't necessary to cut twice. Dr. Shaya made me felt like I was family if I had any question I could call him anytime. I call to ask a question I didn't get a recorder, or if his secretary answer, I would always get Dr.Shaya on the phone and he would answer ever question and explain why the pain is happening. Dr. Shaya Is so calm he carry miracle hands
Gilbert in Miami Gardens – Apr 21, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mark Shaya, MD?
I started going to Dr. Shaya about 4 years ago because of lower back pain. My primary care physician gave me the recommendation. Dr. Shaya and his staff are very professional and caring to their clients by helping with difficult appointments and scheduling with outside facilities. I trust Dr. Shaya and try to follow his instructions and recommendations. The office is well kept, clean and the technology is up to date. I’m grateful and fortunate to have him as my doctor!
Brenda Lazier in Miami, Florida – Mar 27, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mark Shaya, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Shaya?

Dr. Shaya accepts

Dr. Shaya accepts the following insurance:

Medicare

No malpractice claims found for Florida

Spine

Spine specialists diagnose and treat conditions affecting the bones of the spine, including degenerative spine disease, herniated discs, stenosis, and fractured vertebrae, with treatments including medication, physical therapy, and surgery.

TreatmentsTreatment Frequency
Radiculopathy (Not Due to Disc Displacement)

Dr. Shaya treats Radiculopathy (Not Due to Disc Displacement) more than 92% of their peers

Dr. Shaya treats this condition more than 92% of their peers

• Ganglion Cyst
  • Gout
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Hydrocephalus
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Limb Cramp
  • Thoracic Spine Fracture
  • Thrombosis
  • Torticollis
  • Traumatic Brain Injury

Dr. Mark Shaya's success rate is second to none. He is careful in recommending surgery as a first option. Non-invasive modalities are offered in the office. Pain management options are available as well. He never has students, residents or trainees at surgery.

• Neurosurgery

Wayne State University School Of Medicine
1995
University of Michigan / Ann Arbor

• President of Florida Neurosurgical Society, 8/15/2011

Check the quality of care at hospitals where Dr. Shaya treats patients.

Mercy Hospital

Miami, FL
  • Patient Safety Excellence Award™ (2018)

Aventura Hospital & Medical Center

Aventura, FL

62% Patient experience rating, 7% lower than the national average

• Patient Safety Excellence Award™ (2019, 2018)

Coral Gables Hospital

Coral Gables, FL

66% Patient experience rating, 3% lower than the national average

• Patient Safety Excellence Award™ (2019)

Doctors Hospital

Coral Gables, FL

76% Patient experience rating, 7% higher than the national average

Hialeah Hospital

Hialeah, FL

60% Patient experience rating, 9% lower than the national average

• Patient Safety Excellence Award™ (2018, 2017)

North Shore Medical Center

Miami, FL

62% Patient experience rating, 7% lower than the national average

• Patient Safety Excellence Award™ (2019, 2018)

Palmetto General Hospital