Dr. Mark Shaya, MD

Dr. Mark Shaya, MD

Neurosurgery  |
123 reviews

Dr. Mark Shaya, MD is a neurosurgery doctor who practices in Coral Gables, FL. He is 40 years old and has been practicing for 18 years. Dr. Shaya is affiliated with Mercy Hospital, Aventura Hospital & Medical Center, Doctors Hospital, North Shore Medical Center, Palm Springs General Hospital, Coral Gables Hospital, Hialeah Hospital and Palmetto General Hospital....See Less

Neurosurgical Institute of Florida

• Community Health Choice
  • CoreSource
  • EmblemHealth

Learn about Dr. Shaya

Dr. Mark Shaya's success rate is second to none. He is careful in recommending surgery as a first option. Non-invasive modalities are offered in the office. Pain management options are available as well. He never has students, residents or trainees at surgery.

Dr. Shaya's Experience

Dr. Shaya's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Neurosurgery

• Cerebral Artery Thrombosis
  • Cerebral Hemorrhage
  • Cerebral Palsy Dystonia
  • Cerebral Vascular Disease
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak (CSF Leak)
  • Cerebrovascular Disease
  • Gout
  • Hydrocephalus
  • Intra-Articular Fracture
  • Joint Fracture
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Lumbar Disc Degeneration
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Lumbar Sprain
  • Lupus
  • Meningiomas
  • Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
  • Neck Muscle Strain
  • Neck Pain
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Neuritis
  • Spinal Compression Fracture
  • Spinal Cord Tumor
  • Spinal Dysostosis, Anhalt Type
  • Spinal Instability
  • Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA)
  • Spinal Tuberculosis

• Cervical Spine Surgery
  • Complex Spinal Deformity Correction
  • Complex Spine Surgery
  • Craniectomy, Craniotomy, Surgery of Skull Base, Neuroendoscopy
  • CyberKnife®, Cranial (Stereotactic Radiosurgery, Cranial) incl. Gamma Knife and LINAC Photon Beam
  • Deep Brain Stimulation
  • Disc Replacement
  • Dural Repair or Other Spinal Cord Repair
  • Elbow Fracture and Dislocation Treatment
  • Endoscopic Spinal Surgery
  • Epidural Block, Facet Blocks
  • Foot and Ankle Fracture and Dislocation Treatment
  • Fracture Open Reduction and Internal Fixation (ORIF)
  • Hand and Wrist Fracture and Dislocation Treatment
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Hip Fracture and Dislocation Treatment
  • Image-Guided Spine Surgery
  • Knee Replacement
  • Knee Surgery
  • Kyphosis Surgery
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Laminectomy

Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2005
  • Cyberknife Center Of Miami
    Other Education | Completed 2006

• President of Florida Neurosurgical Society, 8/15/2011

Dr. Shaya does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Shaya and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

Dr. Shaya's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Shaya to family and friends
Dr. Shaya's Performance
Germantown, TN |
Dr. Shaya, In your expert opinion, how am I mostly deficit free after a massive stroke/2 lobes which( Left) side should have effected memory, walking, talking, you name it pretty much unscathed ? I've worked hard to get everything back, but how does a Neuro explain this? Have you encountered this before and what are your thoughts? Thank you !
in Miami, FL |
Dr. Mark Shaya is an excellent Neurosurgeon, I felt very confident with him since my first appointment, he explain to me my procedure and gave me a faith that everything will be find. He was the four Neurosurgeon that I consult to made a decision for a surgery, and finally I selected him, and I was very satisfied, he really take of his patients and we love him. Thank you Dr. Mark Shaya
in Hialeah, FL |
My name is Gustavo Macias, just had Spinal stenosis done with Doctor Shaya a little over a month ago. im 45 years old and i was a little scared of going into surgery for the second time,but after a month into recovery i feel like new. Now i feel 100 percent and free of pain. I recomend DR.Shaya very highly to any one whos suffering from back pain or have any related issues.This is my second surgery with DR.Shaya,and they have both been a success. He has also operated on my mother. HES THE BEST
NC |
After seeing doctors/physical therapists for 18 mos for my severe spinal stenosis I decided on surgery Dr Shaya & staff are amiable, professional, efficient, & appointments are always handled on time; he & his staff also coordinate with their patients thru email when necessary! he discussed at length the implications, pros and cons with us and the surgery was a huge success; I was able to drive 600 miles 3 wks after; we would heartily recommend Dr Shaya to anyone considering surgery in S Florida
in Fort Myers Florida |
Not a kind Dr.,he refused to help my sister who is in the ICU from another hospital
After researching this, you called a hospital demanding me to see your sister on the other side of the state and/or transfer a brain dead patient. Your sister is best served by staying on the West Coast, such a long transfer could be dangerous and is not practical. Her brain injury sounds life threatening. Your sister is experiencing LACK of glucose and oxygen to her brain, and from the inappropriate review you posted (since I never spoke to you or met you), it seems like it runs in the family.
in Miami, FL |
After suffering of stenosis for a couple of years of on L3, L4 & L5 and visited many doctors I finally met Dr. Shaya. He recommended to have surgery and I did a month ago at the Doctor's Hospital. The procedure was a success. His staff and the Hospital staff are very professional. I wish I had met Dr. Shaya before, I highly recommend him.
in Aventura |
I am pleasantly surprised and impressed with Dr. Mark R. Shaya, his staff and his state of the art office. Dr. Shaya is an extraordinary doctor. He is committed, positive, professional, polite and has a great personality. He patiently explained to me, the different options for the treatment of my back and leg pain. His office has state of the art technology to treat spinal disk problems. I am going for my treatments and I am extremely happy with the results. I feel much better. Dr. Shaya
in Miami, FL |
Unfortunately, I had a terrible experience with Doctor Shaya. After a year of my Lumbar Surgery, the pain is still there (worse than ever) and the problem that I'm presenting now is on an area that should have been checked during the surgery. Now, I'm going to have another surgery, to correct what it should have been corrected, during that surgery. Another issue is that I had to pay to the doctor -on front- $12,500 to have the surgery performed quickly, due to the pain that I was having.
We encourage patients to use their real names or at least a first name and location like other reviews on this site. We know of no patient named Aboco from Miami in our system. Have never accepted payments for expediting an elective surgery. We are the process of obtaining the necessary information about the person who posted these false statements.
in Southwest, FL |
Dr.Mark Shaya is the BEST neurosurgeon in Florida & in the world.He is the most knowledgeable & kind surgeon I ever met. Dr. Shaya was able to fix a severe problem that was caused by another neurosurgeon. From the moment I spoke with him I knew he could improve my back, he was honest & compassionate & always available to answer questions & concerns. He is a skilled surgeon & I recommend that anyone in pain see him 1st. I'll always be grateful to Dr. Shaya for taking my case that others wouldn't.
in Vero Beach,Fl |
After many years of back problems I researched and found Dr. Shaya My experience with him was amazing. I had L3 through S1 stenosis, instability,herniated disk and radiculopathy. I was in pain most of the time. Dr. Shaya performed lumbar decompression laminectomy with fusion. He did a great job. He is an excellent neurosurgeon,very professional and knowledgeable. He is the best! Would definitely recommended him to every one. Thank you so much Dr. Shaya. You have giving me a better quality oflife
in Miami, FL |
All I have to say that my experience with Dr. Shaya and his staff was outstanding. A few days ago, I went through an Anterior cervical discectomy and fusion (ACDF). It has been 5 days and now I feel much better compare to how I was before. From his office appointments, referrals, and his staff have been truly professional; follow ups appointments to arranging the procedure was flawless. I highly recommend Dr. Shaya as he was to me.
in Miami, FL |
Awesome job doc. feeling better already
Miami, FL |
Professional sensitive and caring and he cured my condition
in Naples, FL |
Just had my second operation with Dr. Shaya. First he he fuses S1 to L3. Then L1 & 2 went I drive from Naples to see him Simply the best!
in Ft Pierce, FL |
This was my 2nd surgery with Dr. Shaya. Last year he saved me from paralysis. This time he removed a plate and screws from the front of the neck that had migrated through soft bone and was indenting the spinal cord. He consulted others in planning surgery to stabilize from the rear in a second surgery. The result is a well aligned, solid neck with no complications. Dr. Shaya is an exemplary surgeon, and will do whatever it takes to get the best outcome for his patients. I was twice blessed.
in Homestead, FL |
I chose to not visit Dr. Shaya due to his office manager, Michael. My insurance had Dr. Shaya as out-of-network. Michael's demeanor was absolutely HORRIBLE. His tone was demeaning and condescending. Ultimately, I choose a different doctor to treat my condition.
Since you did not visit the doctor at all, you cannot comment in the Level of Trust in the Provider's Decision.
in Atlanta and Lawrenceville, GA |
Dr. Shaya is the best neurosurgeont. My quality of life has improved after my back surgery performed by Dr. Shaya and the surgery staff of North Shore Hospital.
in Miami, FL |
I spread the word about Dr. Shaya every chance I get. My wife will only let me go to Dr. Shaya. I have put my life in his hands on a couple of occasions for a lumber fusion and a neck fusion surgery and I will tell you this doctor is the best. Probably in the world. I highly recommend anyone that is looking for a doctor for his specialty make an appointment. His staff is awesome and will go out of their way to assist you in any way they can. Thanks Dr. Shaya for all that you have done for me.
in Miami, Fl |
He is great! Solved my back problem with a professionalism you expect from a top doctor!
in Homestead, FL |
After many years of neck and back pain I researched and found DR Shaya. After looking at MRI he said I was in dire need of a ACDF on 2 levels. Surgery was set up quickly (in a week and a half) at Doctors Hospital. Surgery went great, hospital was great. After surgery I no longer had pain in my neck, shoulders, arms, and headaches were gone. Dr Shaya in my opinion is a godsend. He is straight to the point with no sugarcoating. I would highly recommend him to anyone with pain in back or neck.
in Miami, FL |
Excellent surgeon, excellent staff and very speedy recovery!!!
Port Saint Lucie, FL |
Dr Shaya might be good at some things but when it comes to nuerological conditions cause and effect he was in over his head.
Neurological, not nuerological. Good luck.
in Hialeah, FL |
Excellent Dr. so far he is very peaky with his patients.
in Fayetteville, AR |
Dr Shaya performed a three level ACDF on my husband two weeks ago. The whole experience was good. We were only in town for a couple of weeks and he made time to see us at the beginning and was able accommodate us, including surgery and recovery, we didn't even have to change our plans. His bedside manor is excellent! He is confident, without being arrogant, he took time with us, to go over records, MRI's, answered all our questions and was able to put us at ease in a stressful situation.
in Hialeah, FL |
It's very rare to find a surgeon in Miami who is exceptionally skilled and equally compassionate and personable. There are not many doctors like him anymore. I was with lot of pain and bladder retention with risk of permanent neurological deficit when i meet Dr Shaya : I'm super happy I found him. I highly recommend Dr Shaya as a skilled surgeon! My surgery was an overwhelming success, with very little downtime. Not only were there NO COMPLICATIONS with the surgery, my recovery was uncomplicated
in Palm Beach |
Dr Shaya helped me tremendously. I'm so grateful that my quality of life is back. Office staff was friendly and helpfu .
in Miami |
Excellent treatment. Phenomenal recovery.
Have you seen Dr. Mark Shaya, MD?

Visit Dr. Shaya