Dr. Mark Shaya, MD

Dr. Mark Shaya, MD

Neurosurgery •  Male • Age 45

Spine, and More
Telehealth services available

Dr. Mark Shaya, MD is a Neurosurgery Specialist in Coral Gables, FL. Dr. Shaya has more experience with Spine than other specialists in his area. He is affiliated with medical facilities such as Aventura Hospital & Medical Center and Mercy Hospital. He is accepting new patients and has indicated that he accepts telehealth appointments. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Shaya to book an appointment.

Neurosurgical Institute of Florida

New Patient?
Neurosurgical Institute of Florida201 Bird Rd Coral Gables, FL 33146

• Practices at Top Hospital Patient Safety Excellence Award™ See hospitals

Dr. Shaya's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Shaya

Dr. Shaya?
I had the pleasure of doing a Zoom appointment with Dr. Shaya. I am a new patient who has had several back surgeries and continue to have severe nerve pain through my thigh (L2-L3) and foot. Dr. Shaya was very responsive when I first reached out to seek his opinion. He asked for my medical records and had me obtain a disk of my latest myelogram so we could review on the Zoom call. During this Zoom meeting, he had me share my screen while reviewing image by image while he explained in extreme detail what is presently going on with my back and nerves. I learned more about my back today in 45 minutes than I have learned in the last 10 years. He made sure I understood everything he was explaining and made sure that I did not have any unanswered questions prior to us disconnecting our meeting. I would highly recommend Dr. Shaya as he is very responsive and has a tremendous amount of knowledge about the spine.
Paul W – Sep 09, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mark Shaya, MD?
Dr. Shaya was very responsive when I contacted him, as a new patient, with terrible pain in my lower leg, caused by problems in my lower spine. He understood my urgent need for an appointment to review my CT scan results from a recent trip to the Emergency Room of the nearby Hospital. He was tech-savvy and set up a Zoom call two days later, after I obtained a CD copy of the images. During our first appointment, we reviewed the images on my PC from separate locations which was a great benefit, not forcing me to travel. With experience he instantly identified a bulging disc and bone-to-bone contact of my L4-L5 vertebrae. He explained he could perform arthroscopic surgery but my condition could be remedied by daily physical therapy in my home using an inversion table and back brace. I was pleased he did not push for surgery as some other doctors may have done. In summary, I view Dr. Shaya as highly experienced with spine problems, very responsive and easy to communicate with.
Scott McDowell – Aug 14, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mark Shaya, MD?
Anyone who has a chance to be treated by Dr. Shaya and his team are in good hands. I have had neck traction, laser treatments, and two multiple level cervical nerve blocks by him. Dr. Shaya is thorough, reliable, and extremely intelligent. I have experienced sub standard nerve blocks in the past and you can’t even tell he did one when you wake up. I’m not sure I would trust anyone else’s hands to do my next fusion.
Sharleen Blinken – Jul 10, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mark Shaya, MD?
Amazing doctor! I had to use his expertise when I had a neck injury a few years ago. This was an extremely painful and scary time for me as a working professional with three young children. Dr. Shaya took the time to interpret the test results and really explain all of the treatment options. I had many other doctors that were pushing surgery as the only method available to me. Dr. Shaya educated me on my injury in terms that I could understand and helped me to avoid surgery altogether. I can say I am fully recovered now and would not have fared well if I did not follow his sound advice. When my husband recently fractured his vertebrae, I didn't hesitate to contact Dr. Shaya. The hospital suggested some truly aggressive measures that weren't aligned with our personal practices. He took the time to explain options that again spared us from surgery and were gentle on our pockets, with empathy and kindness and utmost professionalism. SIX stars!
Sami R. – Jul 02, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mark Shaya, MD?
Being a registered nurse you get very particular about the doctors that you see. I was fortunate enough to be recommended to Dr. Shaya about six years ago and he did my third spinal surgery which was a success in my cervical spine . His bedside manner I wish you print it out for all physicians to follow and he really cares for his patient.
MrsBSN – Apr 04, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mark Shaya, MD?
By happenstance (and very fortunately for me), a benign tumor ws found on my right auditory nerve before it had a chance to grow and cause serious issues . I researched and was able to find Dr. Shaya . He quickly prescribed a course of treatment to inhibit the growth of the tumor. Follow-ups with him have proven him to be both knowledgeable and experienced. At a time when my thoughts were going all over the board, he has provided a stable and calm background for me to feel comfortable about the future. Many thanks to Dr. Shaya and his staff. Good luck to them in this time of craziness.
Mar 31, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mark Shaya, MD?
Dr. Shaya saved my husband’s life. After a year of working with a major Michigan university we were told to call hospice and prepare for the worst. I sent all of my husband’s brain images for Dr. Shaya’s review. We had a film review by phone and a conversation about his interpretation of the scans. He gave us clear direction for next steps. We followed his advice. My husband is doing extremely well. He’s exercising and able to function mentally as he did 10 years ago! We are so glad we followed our friends’ recommendation to contact Dr. Shaya. We are forever grateful for Dr. Shaya’s sincere help in getting my husband’s life back! Dr. Shaya is warm, brilliant and caring.
Terry Viazanko – Mar 14, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mark Shaya, MD?
After seeing two other doctors over a three month period with no results for disc herniation which was pressing on my sciatic nerve causing constant pain, I sought out Dr. Shaya knowing I would need spinal fusion surgery (S1 - L4) and wanted the best of the best to perform same. I had the surgery in December 2019 and know I found the best. Dr. Shaya is brilliant, experienced, and did an amazing job. I am now pain free and am getting back into my regular workout routine. I would not hesitate to do it all over again - he truly is exceptional in his field. His staff is also very friendly and helpful.
Chandra – Feb 27, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mark Shaya, MD?
I came to Dr. Shaya for my back and neck. He put 3 bars in my lumbar and I am pain free. I also had an ACDF surgery and it was a great success. He is a good and caring Dr and I get taken care of good he explains everything. I would not go to anyone else.
Linda C Kleckler – Feb 10, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mark Shaya, MD?
Dr.Shaya again was able to do what no other surgeons were able to do and that was to operate on my sons neck where others just strung him along leaving my son with excruciating pain 24 hours a day. Why,why,why? After seven days my son was free of pain.Dr.Shaya is the absolute “Best”??.
Thomas V Amendola. – Nov 24, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mark Shaya, MD?
After 10 long years of suffering with chronic cervical pain and several consultations with other neurosurgeons, I saw Dr. Mark Shaya's excellent reviews and immediately made an appointment to see him within a few days. I needed surgery on my cervical spine. He explained the details to me and what to expect. It has been 9 weeks since my ACDF C5-C6 surgery and I feel great, the pain has improved incredibly. Aventura Hospital stay was very pleasant they even had a bed in the room for my family member. Dr. Shaya is a extremely knowledgeable and caring neurosurgeon and his staff are very professional and caring to their patients. I feel very confident with the care I received from Dr. Shaya and I highly recommend him. Thank You Dr. Shaya.
Ramon in Tampa, FL – Nov 18, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mark Shaya, MD?
Dr. Shaya and his team are remarkable! I have been seeing Dr. Shaya since 2016 for LSpine herniation and he has always been so professional, courteous and informative. I really appreciated his conservative approach, the treatment options that he recommended and feel that he genuinely cares for his patients' well being. Last month I injured myself and had to get a injection with him at North Shore Hospital. Considering all the pain I was in, the experience was extremely pleasant from start to finish. I work in healthcare quality and highly recommend Dr. Mark Shaya as he is not only extremely competent in his work but is also creative in his approach and asks the questions needed to better access the patient as a whole around their area of concern. I trust his abilities 100%. I am grateful to Dr. Shaya and his staff!
Adrianna Sperkacz – Jul 22, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mark Shaya, MD?
Thank Dr. Shaya. My pain is gone no more numbness in my left arm and no lack of strength. You really improved my life completely. No need for surgery. The traction and laser treatment were great. Leo Fierro.
Leo Fierro in Miami, FL – Jun 10, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mark Shaya, MD?
I would have had back surgery had it not been for Dr. Shaya. The laser treatments and traction table have been a life saver for me! I would recommend seeing Dr. Shaya before going forward with any type of surgery. Very professional, personal and helpful office staff. Excellent Dr.!
Edward Kemp in Boynton Beach, FL – May 31, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mark Shaya, MD?
Excelente doctor Muy profesional y con gran experiencia Gracias siempre Dr Shaya nuestra familia aprecia mucho que gracias a usted mi esposo ya no vive con dolor
Marta valenzuela in Hialeah , FL – Mar 29, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mark Shaya, MD?
After discovering the tarlov cysts on an MRI, we researched and found Dr. Shaya. He personally responded to my emails almost immediately and we spoke on the phone several times before traveling to see him. After 5 years of unrelenting nerve pain down my leg, it was gone the day I woke up from surgery. I anticipate all other pain to go away as well (only 14 days post opp). Dr. Shaya changed our lives with his eagerness to help and kind but exquisite expertise. Thank you, Dr. Shaya!
Carrie Turpin in Pensacola, FL – Feb 12, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mark Shaya, MD?
Great doctor , thanks to him I am still walking!
Walsin in Hialeah, FL – Jan 27, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mark Shaya, MD?
I went to Dr. Shaya in chronic pain. I brought in my MRI film as well as my reports and he new just what to do to make the pain go away. I needed surgery on my cervical spine. He explained the details to me and what to expect....I am PAIN FREE! Two thumbs up, I’m a very pleased patient.
Lisa Wallace in Miami – Jan 25, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mark Shaya, MD?
Very knowledgeable, he speaks frankly with no sugar coating, and EXPLAINED MY ISSUE in detail, I haven’t notice that before on any previous doctors’ meetings. I have lumbar arthritis, bulged disks with sciatic pain, and many years with back pain make you deeply incredulous, but his advice resolve my issue, I got my life back. I’m very grateful for his care, wisdom and good heart. I was expecting to easy my pain but actually BE OUT of pain has been a life change. I recommend him to anyone!
Axel in Miami, FL – Jan 10, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mark Shaya, MD?
Dr. Shaya has done more than one surgery for my mom and we wouldn’t trust anyone else to have taken care of her neck and back issues. Her recovery time is always fast and her surgeries were both done to perfection. He is the BEST in his field in our opinion. Not only is he Top at what he does but he genuinely cares for his patients. I thank God every day for bringing him into my moms life. He takes time to explain things in detail, and answer every question and concern.
Denise Gursky and Linda Kleckler in Miami , FL – Jan 04, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mark Shaya, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Shaya?

Dr. Shaya accepts

Dr. Shaya accepts the following insurance:

Medicare

No malpractice claims found for Florida

Frequently Treated by Dr. Shaya

Based on treatment records, we have identified the following as areas of care that Dr. Shaya treats more often than their peers. If you are unsure whether Dr. Shaya treats other conditions, please contact the office at (305) 325-4873.

Spine

Spine specialists diagnose and treat conditions affecting the bones of the spine, including degenerative spine disease, herniated discs, stenosis, and fractured vertebrae, with treatments including medication, physical therapy, and surgery.Compare with other Spine specialists.

Typically treats 56% more than similar doctors

Based on claims data for 14 conditions and procedures

TreatmentsTreatment Frequency
Radiculopathy (Not Due to Disc Displacement)

Dr. Shaya treats Radiculopathy (Not Due to Disc Displacement) more than 92% of their peers

Dr. Shaya treats this condition more than 92% of their peers

• Ganglion Cyst
  • Gout
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Hydrocephalus
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Limb Cramp
  • Thoracic Spine Fracture
  • Thrombosis
  • Torticollis
  • Traumatic Brain Injury

Dr. Mark Shaya's success rate is second to none. He is careful in recommending surgery as a first option. Non-invasive modalities are offered in the office....Read more

The Neurosurgical Institute of Florida is one of the premier providers of neurosurgical care in the region, and recognized as a center of excellence. Providing...Read more

• Neurosurgery