Dr. Mark Shaya, MD

Dr. Mark Shaya, MD

Neurosurgery  |

Dr. Mark Shaya, MD is a neurosurgery doctor who practices in Coral Gables, FL. He is 42 years old and has been practicing for 18 years. Read his story

Neurosurgical Institute of Florida

• Community Health Choice
  • CoreSource
  • EmblemHealth

Learn about Dr. Shaya

See how frequently Dr. Shaya performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Cervical Spine Myelopathy
Spinal Stenosis
high
Spine Disorders
high

Dr. Shaya's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. Shaya's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Shaya "The Neurosurgical Institute of Florida is one of the premier providers of neurosurgical care in the region, and recognized as a center of excellence. Providing services to thousands of patients with hundreds of successful surgical procedures each year, the physicians and staff place special emphasis on offering the finest in patient care. We are uniquely equipped to handle routine cases and technically demanding cases. The Neurosurgical Institute of Florida is comprised of neurosurgeons who specialize in a variety of neurological areas including radiosurgery, neuro-oncology, pediatric neurosurgery, stereotactic procedures, skull base surgery, spinal instrumentation, spinal lesions, aneurysm repair, and others. We offer state-of-the-art technology for treating neurological disorders, including Cyberknife and Gamma Knife technology. Having treated hundreds of patients with this advanced approach to brain surgery, we are a leader in radiosurgical care in Florida."

This content was provided by Dr. Shaya "Dr. Mark Shaya's success rate is second to none. He is careful in recommending surgery as a first option. Non-invasive modalities are offered in the office. Pain management options are available as well. He never has students, residents or trainees at surgery. "

• Neurosurgery

• Broken Neck
  • Cerebral Artery Thrombosis
  • Cerebral Hemorrhage
  • Cerebral Palsy Dystonia
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak (CSF Leak)
  • Cerebrovascular Disease
  • Gout
  • Hydrocephalus
  • Intra-Articular Fracture
  • Joint Fracture
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Limb Cramp
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Lumbar Sprain
  • Lupus
  • Meningiomas
  • Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
  • Neck Muscle Strain
  • Neck Pain
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Neuritis
  • Spinal Cord Injury
  • Spinal Cord Tumor
  • Spinal Dysostosis, Anhalt Type
  • Spinal Instability
  • Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA)
  • Spinal Tuberculosis

• Cervical Spine Surgery
  • Complex Spinal Deformity Correction
  • Complex Spine Surgery
  • Craniectomy, Craniotomy, Surgery of Skull Base, Neuroendoscopy
  • CyberKnife®, Cranial (Stereotactic Radiosurgery, Cranial) incl. Gamma Knife and LINAC Photon Beam
  • Deep Brain Stimulation
  • Disc Replacement
  • Dural Repair or Other Spinal Cord Repair
  • Elbow Fracture and Dislocation Treatment
  • Endoscopic Spinal Surgery
  • Epidural Block, Facet Blocks
  • Foot and Ankle Fracture and Dislocation Treatment
  • Fracture Open Reduction and Internal Fixation (ORIF)
  • Hand and Wrist Fracture and Dislocation Treatment
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Hip Fracture and Dislocation Treatment
  • Image-Guided Spine Surgery
  • Knee Replacement
  • Knee Surgery
  • Kyphosis Surgery
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Laminectomy

Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2005
  • Cyberknife Center Of Miami
    Other Education | Completed 2006

• President of Florida Neurosurgical Society, 8/15/2011

Dr. Shaya does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Shaya and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Shaya's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Shaya to family and friends
Dr. Shaya's Performance
in Miami, FL |
Simple the best neurosurgeon!!Woke up free of pain
in miami, fl |
Excellent Doctor. takes the time with you to explain everything.
in Miami |
Excellent surgeon! The best at what he does. He explains things very clearly and is caring and has a true concern for his patients. Takes the time to answer all questions and is always available when you call with concerns etc. I would highly recommend him. Thank you Dr. Shaya, you are the best!
in Coral Gables, FL |
Just fininished my second appointment with Dr. Mark Shaya - have to say the Doctor and his staff are top notch. My first appointment was to consult regarding five herniated discs - so much pain.... I was able to make a fast first appointment with a followup. I was also referred for PT and his staff promply made the proper refferals. What I've seen to date Dr. Shaya runs a first class practice. Highly recommend.
in East Setauket, NY |
My mom lives in Fort Myers and we traveled 2 hours over to Miami to be treated by Dr. Mark Shaya because this was the doctor we wanted to cure my mom of her pain from spinal stenosis! Let me just tell you he gave her, her life back!! She woke up the very next day after a 2nd laminectomy performed 8 months later by Dr. Shaya and he fixed the problem immediately!!!Dr. Shaya and his amazing magical fingers worked his magic and cured my mom of her pain for the past 12 months! He's a miracle worker!
in Miami |
I am an RN who moved to Miami and needed a new NeuroSurgeon after a bad experience in another state. EXCELLENT TOP RATE Brilliant MD with superb office staff and easy to get to location. He saved my life and gives me peace of mind and serenity!!
Kendall |
Very professional staff and great location! Doctor is reasonable and common sense and spent the appropriate amount of time with me and my husband.
Windermere, FL |
I traveled 200 miles after making an appointment only to be told To pay $500. cash upfront to be seen. Very shady!!! Office is run down, business post cards taped on walls and glass symbolizing their surgical center with no signs on building exterior. Office manager very shady. Caveat Emptor - BEWARE - Do due diligence!!! Something very wrong with this business!!!!!!!!
This is an inaccurate review for many reasons: we have 2 clear signs on the building complying with City of Coral Gables code. The office is upscale, clean, and in no way run down. The cost for patients without insurance for a full in-depth consultation is 500 which is fair market value. No one who works in this office is "shady" and those who work with me are always professional. If you are indeed a real patient who had a problem, it would have been best to speak directly to me at that time.
in Pembroke Pines FL |
After I found out I had an AVM I immediately sought medical care. I visited three Dr and was not satisfied with the attention and care provided. I did some research and found Dr Shaya that was a God sent. Dr Shaya's care for his patients is beyond measure. I have been treated for my condition with Cyberknife and found immediate relief of my symptoms. It's been one month since my treatment and have had no issues except for loosing a small patch of hair in the localized area. Thank you Dr Shaya
in Miramar, Florida |
In 2013 after 5 years of severe back pain I found an amazing Doctor who within moments knew the problem and it wasn't my back it was in my neck. He performed surgery in October of 2013 three days after he saw the problem on the MRI I was in surgery. Now in 2017 I was experiencing severe back pain and jumped through Tricare hoops to see the same doctor. Again within days of the MRI which was the week before I was in a operating room to get Botox injections into my back. No Pain....
in Islamorada, FL |
Super neurosurgeon, none better! Dr. Shaya is extremely knowledge, very caring and responsive to patients' questions and concerns, personally return patients' telephone calls, and visits his patients in the hospital. His office staff, Jamie, Vanessa, and Michael are equally professional and caring. My husband and I had lumbar surgeries performed in the January - March 2017 timeframe. We are very pleased with the outcomes now that we getting back our active lives, Thank you, Dr. Shaya!
in Ft Lauderdale, FL |
This was my 1st appointment at Dr. Shaya' office. What a delight! Such professionalism. His staff, Karla, Jamie, & Michael are very sweet & truly know their job positions well. Dr. Shaya was one of the most polite exceptional Drs. I have ever come across. He explained everything to my husband & myself. He is top notch. I would highly recommend Dr. Shaya & his staff to anyone who wants the best!!!! I have never left an office feeling such an empowerment. He is honestly one of a kind!
Germantown, TN |
Dr. Shaya, In your expert opinion, how am I mostly deficit free after a massive stroke/2 lobes which( Left) side should have effected memory, walking, talking, you name it pretty much unscathed ? I've worked hard to get everything back, but how does a Neuro explain this? Have you encountered this before and what are your thoughts? Thank you !
in Miami, FL |
Dr. Mark Shaya is an excellent Neurosurgeon, I felt very confident with him since my first appointment, he explain to me my procedure and gave me a faith that everything will be find. He was the four Neurosurgeon that I consult to made a decision for a surgery, and finally I selected him, and I was very satisfied, he really take of his patients and we love him. Thank you Dr. Mark Shaya
in Hialeah, FL |
My name is Gustavo Macias, just had Spinal stenosis done with Doctor Shaya a little over a month ago. im 45 years old and i was a little scared of going into surgery for the second time,but after a month into recovery i feel like new. Now i feel 100 percent and free of pain. I recomend DR.Shaya very highly to any one whos suffering from back pain or have any related issues.This is my second surgery with DR.Shaya,and they have both been a success. He has also operated on my mother. HES THE BEST
NC |
After seeing doctors/physical therapists for 18 mos for my severe spinal stenosis I decided on surgery Dr Shaya & staff are amiable, professional, efficient, & appointments are always handled on time; he & his staff also coordinate with their patients thru email when necessary! he discussed at length the implications, pros and cons with us and the surgery was a huge success; I was able to drive 600 miles 3 wks after; we would heartily recommend Dr Shaya to anyone considering surgery in S Florida
in Fort Myers Florida |
Not a kind Dr.,he refused to help my sister who is in the ICU from another hospital
After researching this, you called a hospital demanding me to see your sister on the other side of the state and/or transfer a brain dead patient. Your sister is best served by staying on the West Coast, such a long transfer could be dangerous and is not practical. Your ratings are not valid since you never spoke with me or been to the office.
in Miami, FL |
After suffering of stenosis for a couple of years of on L3, L4 & L5 and visited many doctors I finally met Dr. Shaya. He recommended to have surgery and I did a month ago at the Doctor's Hospital. The procedure was a success. His staff and the Hospital staff are very professional. I wish I had met Dr. Shaya before, I highly recommend him.
in Aventura |
I am pleasantly surprised and impressed with Dr. Mark R. Shaya, his staff and his state of the art office. Dr. Shaya is an extraordinary doctor. He is committed, positive, professional, polite and has a great personality. He patiently explained to me, the different options for the treatment of my back and leg pain. His office has state of the art technology to treat spinal disk problems. I am going for my treatments and I am extremely happy with the results. I feel much better. Dr. Shaya
in Miami, FL |
Unfortunately, I had a terrible experience with Doctor Shaya. After a year of my Lumbar Surgery, the pain is still there (worse than ever) and the problem that I'm presenting now is on an area that should have been checked during the surgery. Now, I'm going to have another surgery, to correct what it should have been corrected, during that surgery. Another issue is that I had to pay to the doctor -on front- $12,500 to have the surgery performed quickly, due to the pain that I was having.
We encourage patients to use their real names or at least a first name and location like other reviews on this site. We know of no patient named Aboco from Miami in our system. Have never accepted payments for expediting an elective surgery. We are the process of obtaining the necessary information about the person who posted these false statements.
in Southwest, FL |
Dr.Mark Shaya is the BEST neurosurgeon in Florida & in the world.He is the most knowledgeable & kind surgeon I ever met. Dr. Shaya was able to fix a severe problem that was caused by another neurosurgeon. From the moment I spoke with him I knew he could improve my back, he was honest & compassionate & always available to answer questions & concerns. He is a skilled surgeon & I recommend that anyone in pain see him 1st. I'll always be grateful to Dr. Shaya for taking my case that others wouldn't.
in Vero Beach,Fl |
After many years of back problems I researched and found Dr. Shaya My experience with him was amazing. I had L3 through S1 stenosis, instability,herniated disk and radiculopathy. I was in pain most of the time. Dr. Shaya performed lumbar decompression laminectomy with fusion. He did a great job. He is an excellent neurosurgeon,very professional and knowledgeable. He is the best! Would definitely recommended him to every one. Thank you so much Dr. Shaya. You have giving me a better quality oflife
in Miami, FL |
All I have to say that my experience with Dr. Shaya and his staff was outstanding. A few days ago, I went through an Anterior cervical discectomy and fusion (ACDF). It has been 5 days and now I feel much better compare to how I was before. From his office appointments, referrals, and his staff have been truly professional; follow ups appointments to arranging the procedure was flawless. I highly recommend Dr. Shaya as he was to me.
in Miami, FL |
Awesome job doc. feeling better already
Miami, FL |
Professional sensitive and caring and he cured my condition
in Naples, FL |
Just had my second operation with Dr. Shaya. First he he fuses S1 to L3. Then L1 & 2 went I drive from Naples to see him Simply the best!
in Ft Pierce, FL |
This was my 2nd surgery with Dr. Shaya. Last year he saved me from paralysis. This time he removed a plate and screws from the front of the neck that had migrated through soft bone and was indenting the spinal cord. He consulted others in planning surgery to stabilize from the rear in a second surgery. The result is a well aligned, solid neck with no complications. Dr. Shaya is an exemplary surgeon, and will do whatever it takes to get the best outcome for his patients. I was twice blessed.
in Homestead, FL |
I chose to not visit Dr. Shaya due to his office manager, Michael. My insurance had Dr. Shaya as out-of-network. Michael's demeanor was absolutely HORRIBLE. His tone was demeaning and condescending. Ultimately, I choose a different doctor to treat my condition.
Since you did not visit the doctor at all, you cannot comment in the Level of Trust in the Provider's Decision.
in Atlanta and Lawrenceville, GA |
Dr. Shaya is the best neurosurgeont. My quality of life has improved after my back surgery performed by Dr. Shaya and the surgery staff of North Shore Hospital.
in Miami, FL |
I spread the word about Dr. Shaya every chance I get. My wife will only let me go to Dr. Shaya. I have put my life in his hands on a couple of occasions for a lumber fusion and a neck fusion surgery and I will tell you this doctor is the best. Probably in the world. I highly recommend anyone that is looking for a doctor for his specialty make an appointment. His staff is awesome and will go out of their way to assist you in any way they can. Thanks Dr. Shaya for all that you have done for me.
in Miami, Fl |
He is great! Solved my back problem with a professionalism you expect from a top doctor!
in Homestead, FL |
After many years of neck and back pain I researched and found DR Shaya. After looking at MRI he said I was in dire need of a ACDF on 2 levels. Surgery was set up quickly (in a week and a half) at Doctors Hospital. Surgery went great, hospital was great. After surgery I no longer had pain in my neck, shoulders, arms, and headaches were gone. Dr Shaya in my opinion is a godsend. He is straight to the point with no sugarcoating. I would highly recommend him to anyone with pain in back or neck.
in Miami, FL |
Excellent surgeon, excellent staff and very speedy recovery!!!
Port Saint Lucie, FL |
Dr Shaya might be good at some things but when it comes to nuerological conditions cause and effect he was in over his head.
Neurological, not nuerological. We are happy to recommend a neurologist for your condition, I am a neurosurgeon and your condition is not surgical. Have a nice day.
in Hialeah, FL |
Excellent Dr. so far he is very peaky with his patients.
in Fayetteville, AR |
Dr Shaya performed a three level ACDF on my husband two weeks ago. The whole experience was good. We were only in town for a couple of weeks and he made time to see us at the beginning and was able accommodate us, including surgery and recovery, we didn't even have to change our plans. His bedside manor is excellent! He is confident, without being arrogant, he took time with us, to go over records, MRI's, answered all our questions and was able to put us at ease in a stressful situation.
in Hialeah, FL |
It's very rare to find a surgeon in Miami who is exceptionally skilled and equally compassionate and personable. There are not many doctors like him anymore. I was with lot of pain and bladder retention with risk of permanent neurological deficit when i meet Dr Shaya : I'm super happy I found him. I highly recommend Dr Shaya as a skilled surgeon! My surgery was an overwhelming success, with very little downtime. Not only were there NO COMPLICATIONS with the surgery, my recovery was uncomplicated
in Palm Beach |
Dr Shaya helped me tremendously. I'm so grateful that my quality of life is back. Office staff was friendly and helpfu .
in Miami |
Excellent treatment. Phenomenal recovery.
Have you seen Dr. Mark Shaya, MD?

Visit Dr. Shaya