Dr. Mark Proctor, MD

Dr. Mark Proctor, MD

Neurosurgery  ·
Male
Dr. Mark Proctor, MD is a neurosurgery specialist in Boston, MA and has been practicing for 20 years. He graduated from Columbia University, College Of Physicians & Surgeons in 1990 and specializes in neurosurgery, craniofacial surgery, and more.Read his story

300 Longwood Ave

Boston, MA 02115

• Accepts most major Health Plans. Please contact our office for details.

Learn about Dr. Proctor

Dr. Proctor's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Proctor "I specialize in the treatment of pediatric craniofacial abnormalities, spinal disorders, sports-related injuries and trauma to the brain and spine. As chief of Boston Children's Hospital's Department of Neurosurgery, I believe in fostering a collaborative, multidisciplinary approach, and delivering to patients the best possible experiences and outcomes. My commitment to improving healthcare is reflected the depth and breadth of my education. After an undergraduate degree in French from Dartmouth College, I studied medicine at Columbia University, ultimately concluding my training as a fellow in pediatric neurosurgery at Boston Children's Hospital. I honed my skills as a manager and executive through Harvard Business School's Program for Leadership Development. I am committed to improving the lives of patients with craniofacial abnormalities, spinal disorders and brain injury. I specialize in endoscopic, or minimally invasive, approaches to neurosurgery. I work closely with Sports Medicine to maintain an active practice in sports-related injuries. I advocate for brain injury awareness beyond Boston Children's Hospital, and am a member of the board of directors of ThinkFirst, the leading national brain and spinal cord injury prevention foundation. In 2012, I was elected to lead the Physician's Organization at Children's Hospital, the umbrella group that directs contracting, billing, benefits and employment issues for over 1,000 doctors. I assumed the presidency in 2014, and have lead a great deal of change. I have been responsible for instituting a shared service center to centralize professional billing, a move that I hope will improve the experiences of families being treated at our hospital. I have also created several new collaborations between subspecialties at Boston Children's Hospital to deliver care to patients whose needs were previously unmet. I worked with providers from the departments of Gastroenterology, Urology and General Surgery to address incontinence associated with spinal problems. I direct and helped to create the Brain Injury Center, a previously unavailable resource that harnesses the expertise of our Neurosurgery, Trauma Surgery, Neurology, Neurophysiology and Psychiatry departments. We have formed a center for complex pediatric cervical spine problems along with orthopedics, and our multidisciplinary Craniofacial Center remains one of the foremost in the nation. One of the most extensive collaborative efforts I have participated in has been the development of the unique intra-operative MRI at Boston Children's Hospital, a project for which I facilitated partnership between the hospital administration, anesthesia, radiology, and engineering. This effort has resulted in great clinical success; I moderated a webcast highlighting the technology in a live brain surgery, which received a national "Webby" award."

This content was provided by Dr. Proctor "As the chief of the Department of Neurosurgery, I am passionate about harnessing the tremendous resources of Boston Children's Hospital to make our care truly patient centered. Through my leadership, I have brought together representatives from many departments to create new options for our patients, including forming the Brain Injury Center and a clinic for treating incontinence due to spinal cord malfunction.

A rotation through the neurosurgical suite at Georgetown University Medical Center as a resident gave me an early taste for the field and why it might suit me. The brain translates into everything about who we are, and there is so much that doctors still don't know, which creates exciting new opportunities. I came to the realization that I wanted to work with children when I led groups of kids on bike trips during the summers between medical school. I love treating children because of their resilience and capacity for recovery."

• Neurosurgery

• Pediatric Tethered Cord Syndrome
  • Spinal Instability
  • Sports-Related Concussion
  • Tethered Spinal Cord Syndrome

No malpractice history found for Massachusetts.

• Dartmouth College
  • Georgetown University Hospital
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1997
  • Boston Children's Hospital
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1998

Dr. Proctor has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Proctor does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Proctor and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Proctor's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Proctor

Dr. Proctor?
Dr. Proctor's Performance

How was your experience with Dr. Proctor?