Dr. Mark Held, MD

Dr. Held
Spine, and More

Carolina Craniospinal Neurosurgery LLC

2111 Neuse Blvd Ste A New Bern, NC 28560

Dr. Mark Held, MD is a Neurosurgery Specialist in New Bern, NC and has over 32 years of experience in the medical field. Dr. Held has more experience with Spine than other specialists in his area. He graduated from Georgetown University medical school in 1988. He is affiliated with CarolinaEast Medical Center. He is accepting new patients. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Held to book an appointment.

Compare Providers

Quickly compare more Neurosurgery Specialists in your area

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Practices at Top Hospital
    Outstanding Patient Experience Award™ See hospitals
  • Hospital Satisfaction

No malpractice claims found for North Carolina

Frequently Treated by Dr. Held

Based on treatment records, we have identified the following as areas of care that Dr. Held treats more often than their peers. If you are unsure whether Dr. Held treats other conditions, please contact the office at (252) 638-4500.

Spine

Spine specialists diagnose and treat conditions affecting the bones of the spine, including degenerative spine disease, herniated discs, stenosis, and fractured vertebrae, with treatments including medication, physical therapy, and surgery.Compare with other Spine specialists.

Dr. Held typically treats 70% more often than similar doctors

Based on claims data for 14 conditions and procedures

Treatments
Low Back Pain
Radiculopathy (Not Due to Disc Displacement)
Spinal Stenosis

• Brain Surgery
  • Broken Neck
  • Cauda Equina Syndrome
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid (CSF) Shunt - Insertion, Repair or Removal
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak (CSF Leak)
  • Cerebrovascular Disease
  • Craniectomy, Craniotomy, Surgery of Skull Base, Neuroendoscopy
  • Disc Replacement
  • Dural Repair or Other Spinal Cord Repair
  • Ear Disorders
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Hydrocephalus
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Meningiomas
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Neuroplasty
  • Thrombosis
  • Torticollis
  • Traumatic Brain Injury

Dr. Held accepts

Dr. Held accepts the following insurance:

American Republic
Commercial Insurance Company
CoreSource
Coventry Health Care
MagnaCare
Mail Handlers Benefit Plan (MHBP)
MedCost

Dr. Held's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Held

4.3

Dr. Held?
Fantastic results from lower back surgery in 2013!
Aug 21, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mark Held, MD?
After suffering from severe lower back pain for over a year and seeing multiple specialists, I was referred to Dr. Held by my Pain Management doctor. He performed lumbar fusion, which entailed a graft between 3-4, with a plate and screws. I was in a lot of pain following surgery but after 4 months, I am now almost back to normal. I still have some minor after-effects of surgery but overall, I am extremely pleased with my treatment by Dr. Held and his staff. His care pre- and post-op has been outstanding. I would highly recommend him and would definitely return for further spinal care/surgery if necessary. As a matter of fact, my daughter had a similar problem in her cervical area which was treated by Dr. Held. She has also been very satisfied with him. I am so grateful for his skill, care and compassion.
Jill Roberts – Jun 06, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mark Held, MD?
My personal experience with Dr. Held has been very positive. He is an extremely gifted surgeon and a truly compassionate person overall. I've seen some negative comments regarding the excessive wait time for his appointments. The reason for your wait at times is because he treats every patient with dignity and respect. When he is with you, you are the only person he focuses on and will make sure you are educated, understand and that he addresses each and every one of your questions or concerns fully. He performed a spinal stenosis procedure on L3-6 and the improvement in my daily life has been remarkable. If you are looking for a neuro-surgeon I would highly recommend setting up an appointment with Dr. Mark Held and his team.
Richard W. Seeger – Feb 11, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mark Held, MD?
DR HELD WAS VERY PROFESSIONAL AND REALIZED MY HURT. HE WORKED ME IN FAST AND I AM TOTALLY RELEAVED.THIS THE DOCTOR YOU WANT
GAIL WHITE – Feb 01, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mark Held, MD?
Dr.Held is an extremely compassionate and caring surgeon. He did my lumbar surgery 11-18-19 and I couldn't be more pleased! I suffered with extreme lower back pain for 8 and a half months before my insurance said I had tried all options. When I met Dr. Held he explained what my procedure would involve in terms I could understand. (Not sure where the negative feedback is coming from, but I experienced NO problems!) I can not say enough about his capability and concern. My procedure was scheduled for a Monday and he personally called me Sunday night to check in and talk to me and he took his time. Don't know many Surgeons who do that! After surgery, I was up and feeling mild discomfort which decreased within a few days. If I were to have any more surgery, I would return to him and am referring him. Dr.Held, if you are reading this, I can't express my gratitude for giving me my life back after so much pain this year. You are a gifted surgeon and I wish you the very best! God bless!
Rebecca Ann Whitley – Dec 13, 2019
Neck arm pain
Larry Feldhaus – Dec 06, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mark Held, MD?
Mark Held gave me my life back.I dealt with back pain for a long time and being younger no one took me seriously until I found him.A year after surgery and I am 100%better.
Tanya – Nov 13, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mark Held, MD?
Quite negative...He has the skills but no bedside manner...Rude Arrogant, Sarcastic . It was usually and hour + wait time. Front office staff rude .I left his office crying due to his non professional behavior
Nov 07, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mark Held, MD?
My first appt for surgery Spinal fusion was last week . Dr Held was very professional in answer all of my questions but gave me the chance to think about it and chance to come back to answer more questions I might have as I will be back later the following week . I am almost beating the 50 yr old female that is very active kiteboarder not ready to give up on my passion in the water just yet . He reassured me that I could return to my love of water sports . I'll be giving you an update in months to come on my surgery and recovery . I must say I feel the staff and dr Held are very caring people just in my first visit .
cheryl salter in Beaufort , NC – Jul 22, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mark Held, MD?
I cannot thank Drs. Held & Dalrymple enough. Their staff is the best. All of my questions were answered with patience and kindness. When I began my journey with them, I could barely walk. Believe it or not, I actually skipped down the hallway to their office for my last follow up. I am so blessed that I was referred to them. Their care coordinators are angels and were able to handle insurance and scheduling with ease. Even in the midst of a hurricane and approaching holiday season, everything fell right into place. A hundred stars and tons of gratitude to everyone that helped me through the most difficult year in my entire life. If you have been referred or need to be, rest assured that you will be in good hands and will receive the best of care.
May 03, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mark Held, MD?
The best there is in my book.
Apr 17, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mark Held, MD?
A big "Thank You" to Dr. Mark Held on my successful back surgery. Dr. Held is a wonderful surgeon. New Bern is lucky to have him! Thanks again, Dr. Held. George Kramer
Apr 15, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mark Held, MD?
I'm very grateful to have had Dr. Held as my back surgeon. He genuinely cares about his patients health issues. I can't say enough about him, his professionalism, his skills, and expertise. My back surgery was a success and I'm living a pain free life. Thank you Dr. Held. You're amazing!!!!
Apr 02, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mark Held, MD?
He is a good listener, takes time to review test results with you. ( X-RAYS, MRI). He also demonstrates where the problem is etc. Will recommend or agree to therapy if you choose and ultimately will perform surgery if necessary .
New Bern, NC – Jan 03, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mark Held, MD?
I've seen dr held three times and every time was a 2+ hr wait. He was very short with me and rude.
Kristen in New Bern, NC – Aug 31, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mark Held, MD?
I was very leery of back surgeries after hearing tons of horror stories. However a friend of a friend recommended Dr Held and after having the surgery I couldn't be more satisfied. I was up and walking within 30 minutes of waking up. First time I could stand up straight in seven months do to two car wrecks in 3 weeks. He has given me back my mobility and allowed me to continue pursuing my career!!! I highly recommend D Mark Held!!!!
jim in new bern, nc – Jul 07, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mark Held, MD?
I personally work with Dr. Held in the OR and I would trust him with my life or any of my family member's lives. He's professional, takes great pride in his work, and is a phenomenal surgeon.
Asheboro, NC – May 04, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Mark Held, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Held?

• Neurosurgery