Dr. Mark Gorman, MD

Dr. Mark Gorman, MD

Pediatric Neurology | Male

Boston Children's Hospital 300 Longwood Ave Fl 11 Boston, MA 02115 Get Directions

I became interested in working with children with disabilities during high school, when I volunteered at a summer camp for children with special needs.

I worked with a child with down syndrome and became fascinated by how the brain works and by what wasn't working properly. On an emotional, personal and social level I developed a deep respect for the abilities of children with special needs and the families who help care for them.

I majored in psychology with a focus in neuroscience. During college I worked with Best Buddies, a group that matches students with young adults with intellectual disabilities, and greatly enjoyed these relationships.

From this interest, I trained in pediatric neurology. I became fascinated by, and developed a specialization in, autoimmune diseases of the brain and spinal cord. I realized that often children and teens with these conditions were greatly in need of cohesive, coordinated care.

My practice specializes in pediatric neuroimmunology, which involves autoimmune conditions of the brain and spinal cord in children and adolescents. The most well-known condition within this field is multiple sclerosis (MS), but there are many other conditions, including opsoclonus myoclonus syndrome (OMS), autoimmune encephalitis, and central nervous system vasculitis, among others.

As a resident in both pediatrics and pediatric neurology at Boston Children's Hospital, I became fascinated clinically by demyelinating diseases (such as MS), a group of neuro-immune conditions in which the immune system damages the protective covering of the nerves called myelin. After finishing of my five-year residency, I completed a two-year fellowship in MS, becoming one of the first physicians nationwide with formal training in both pediatric neurology and multiple sclerosis.

Prior to my training, most children who presented with symptoms suggestive of demyelinating diseases would be referred out from Boston Children's Hospital to adult centers. I saw an unmet need to make great progress and help these children, and created Boston Children's first Pediatric Multiple Sclerosis Program.

With this base, I also started to see many children with other autoimmune disorders of brain and spinal cord. I was able to apply the knowledge and lessons I had learned in multiple sclerosis to these other conditions.

As an international expert in the care of children with these conditions, I have built my team from a small clinic into a large multidisciplinary program. My program includes nurses, nurse practitioners, psychologists, neuropsychologists, educational specialists and multiple consultants to address all of the medical, psychological, educational and social needs of the patients and families we see. In addition, I direct the hospital's inpatient neurology service and was in 2014 selected as the Department of Neurology's Teacher of the Year by the residents.

Dr. Gorman's Experience

See how Dr. Gorman's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Gorman

Dr. Gorman accepts 1 insurance carrier

Check out the quality of care at the 1 hospitals where Dr. Gorman has admitting privileges.

Dr. Gorman's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Gorman to family and friends
based on 3 total surveys
Dr. Gorman's Performance
Have you seen Dr. Mark Gorman, MD?
Are you Dr. Gorman?

Compare Dr. Gorman

Dr. Gorman says...

Dr. Gorman's Care Philosophy

Dr. Gorman's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Pediatric Neurology
    •  Board certified in Neurology with Special Qualification in Child Neurology

Dr. Gorman has no media or publications listed.

No malpractice history found for Massachusetts.

Why It Matters: Dr. Gorman's Board Certifications

• Neurology with Special Qualification in Child Neurology

• Autoimmune Encephalopathy
    • Demyelinating Diseases
    • Demyelinating Disorders
    • Immune Disorders
    • Macrocephaly - Mental Retardation - Short Stature - Spastic Paraplegia - CNS Malformations
    • Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
    • Multiple Sclerosis, Pediatric

Harvard Medical School

Graduated in 2001

Boston Children's Hospital, Pediatrics

Completed in 2009

Boston Children's Hospital, Pediatrics

Completed in 2006

Partners Adult and Pediatric Ms Centers/Brigham & Women's Hospital/Massachusetts General Hospital, Ms and Neuro-Immunology

Completed in 2008

Duke University

Graduated in 1997

Dr. Gorman does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Gorman and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Pediatric Neurology