Dr. Mark Getelman, MD

Dr. Mark Getelman, MD

Orthopedic Surgery  |

Dr. Getelman is Board Certified in both Orthopedic Surgery and Sports Medicine with a subspecialty practice focused on treatments of the shoulder and knee. As a member of Phi Beta Kappa and graduating magna cum laude with departmental honors from Tulane University and the University of Florida College of Medicine, Dr. Mark Getelman completed his orthopedic surgery residency training at Boston University where he became chief resident. While in Boston, he received additional fellowship training in orthopedic surgery. Dr. Getelman spent one year as an orthopedic trauma fellow at Boston City Hospital and one year as a sports medicine and adult reconstructive surgery fellow at St. Elizabeth's Hospital, a Tufts University affiliate, furthering his sports medicine training to develop his skills as an orthopedic surgeon. Dr. Mark Getelman served as an associate team physician at Boston College and was the resident sports medicine director at Boston University from 1995 to 1996. Upon graduation from BU, he moved to Los Angeles where he completed additional subspecialty fellowship training in sports medicine and arthroscopic and reconstructive surgery at Southern California Orthopedic Institute (SCOI). He was then recruited by his mentors to join SCOI and has remained as a partner in that group for nearly 20 years.

Southern California Orthopedic Institute

6815 Noble Ave

Van Nuys, CA 91405

• Accepts most major Health Plans. Please contact our office for details.

Learn about Dr. Getelman

Dr. Mark Getelman is highly trained and skilled Los Angeles area Orthopedic Surgeon who is committed to the highest level of excellence and achieving the best possible results for his patients. He is double board-certified in Orthopedic Surgery and Sports Medicine by the American Board of Orthopedic Surgery. Remaining as a leader in the field of Arthroscopic and Minimally Invasive Surgery as evidenced by the many published journal articles, textbook chapters, meeting presentations, and arthroscopic surgery courses he teaches for other Board-Certified Orthopedic surgeons.

Dr. Getelman's subspecialty practice focuses on treatments of the shoulder and knee, such as rotator cuff and labral repair, arthroscopic rotator cuff repair and allograft augmentation, instability management including LATARJET reconstruction, meniscal repair and knee ligament reconstruction, ACL repair surgery including revision surgery for prior failed ACL reconstruction and articular cartilage defects surgery.

Dr. Getelman's Experience

Dr. Getelman's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery

• Rotator Cuff and Labral Repair
  • Shoulder Fracture and Dislocation Treatment
  • Shoulder Stabilizations
  • Shoulder Surgery

No malpractice history found for California.

• Tulane University of Louisiana
  • Southern California Orthopedic Institute
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1997
  • St. Elizabeth's Medical Center
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1992

Dr. Getelman has no media or publications listed.

• California Orthopaedic Association, Member

Dr. Getelman's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Getelman to family and friends
Dr. Getelman's Performance
in Northridge, CA |
Everything went very smoothly and with the health app there was always open communication. Plus the video that I was given was fascinating.
Studio City, CA |
He is honest about what your condition is upon review of you x-rays and films. He also lays out all your options for treatment. He narrates your surgery so you can see exactly what was done and he follows up with questions as needed. He also has a kind and knowledgeable staff that assists him.
Tarzana, CA |
Very thorough follow up post op.
in Thousand Oaks , CA |
Dr Getelman and his staff are veryconscientious and do their best to set your mind at ease. They set realistic expectations for recovery. Katie is amazing and a great addition to his staff! Dr. Getelman has done and ACL surgery on me as well as to meniscal surgeries. I would trust him to handle any surgery I would need.
Laguna Hills, CA |
Dr Getelman and his staff have been outstanding I was given options and never pressured for surgery. Once I decided to do surgery they were there for every step to help me. I was called personally before pre-op to answer any questions and then the office called me or emailed me every day to check on my progress for two weeks. I had very little pain and I know I will be back to normal very soon.
in Arleta, CA |
Dr. Getelman and Katie Williams exceeded my expectations at all levels, and so did his entire team - assistants Sara and Marco, anesthesiologist Dr. Lau, and nurse Jessica. This was my first surgery and I was extremely nervous. Dr. Getelman and his staff quickly put me at ease. They were very patient. After surgery the team took time to talk to me and make sure I was okay. What really impressed me about the team is how much time they spent listening/assessing me, and their great bedside manner.
in Camarillo, CA |
I saw Dr Getelman in 2007 for my right knee and now in 2017 for my left. In both cases, he has been thorough and fantastic. Would highly recommend!!!
in CA |
The "Pre" surgery appointments were ok and De. Getelman allowed me to give my input, as to what we should to recover from my injury. Once we tried everything to avoid surgery, Dr. Getelman performed the surgery and it was at this point that I realized how amazing Dr. Getelman is at his "craft", I was given a DVD after my procedure and this answered any questions, as to what he did, and "why", I could not have asked for more. Now it's time for recovery and this is on "ME" and my Therapist. Thx
in Agoura Hills, CA |
My wife had 2 meniscus surgeries both performed by Dr Getelman and she's doing fine. So when I had an issue with my knee, I knew exactly who I was reaching out to. Dr G examined me and very quickly knew what was wrong. He gave me a few options and performed surgery for my meniscus issue. I actually was walking the next day after surgery but decided to take it easy as they suggested. The bottom line, if you have an issue with your knee, make an appointment with Dr G.
in Malibu, CA |
Dr. Getelman carried an air of confidence and expertise into the exam room on our first meeting that instantly relaxed and impressed me. His explanation of the problems with my left knee and the arthroscopic procedure that would be necessary to correct to them were comprehensive and easily understandable. The surgery went well and the narrated video of the operation provided by Dr. Getelman allowed me to fully understand what had been done and to appreciate his skill at doing it.
in Santa Clarita, CA |
Dr Getelman is a true professional! He is extremely knowledgable and competent in his area of expertise and it shows every time I have contact with him. I have the utmost confidence in his ability and would recommend him for any shoulder injury, 110%. When you have a medical issue, you want to go to the best, most experienced and competent doctor for the exact issue you have. That is Dr Gentleman. Also, the entire team and staff are beyond excellent!!
in Van Nuys, CA |
Very good doctor. Knows his stuff. Very fast, but answers all questions. Has a sense of humor.
in Simi Valley, CA |
Dr. Getelman is an extremely talented surgeon. No complaints other than horrible parking for an office with lots of disabled needs parking and need quicker response by office in answering the phone. Love the email quick response by the health team. Overall a very good experience.
in Newbury Park, CA |
Excellent! - He will fix you!
in Woodland Hills, CA |
Exactly what I expected and more. Hope to see Dr on follow up visit after surgery
in Oxnard, CA |
I have found Dr Getelman to be Honest, sincere, Professional and extremely Kind. In medicine today, it's rare to find the good Character, as well as integrity all while having a great bedside manner. Dr. Getelman is extremely good at his craft. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND Dr. Getelman to anyone needing Orthopedic Surgery. The Dr. Made the Surgery a lot less Scary. All while being very upfront and honest.
in Thousand Oaks, CA |
My visit to Dr. Getelman was one of the worst experiences that I have ever had at a doctor's office. He is rude and spent about 5 minutes with me. It was a waste of my $40 co-pay. I do not recommend him.
in Valley Village, CA |
Dr. Getelman explained the severity of my knee injury so I completely understood what was happening and how to avoid further issues while I waited for my insurance to approve my surgery. Dr. Getelman's team saw me on a Tuesday and expedited by case to perform surgery Friday morning. After fighting so hard for my MRI that proved my injury was significant it was really comforting to have Dr. Getelman and his team support me. I would definitely recommend Dr. Getelman.
in Los Angeles |
Straightforward and easy to deal with
Van Nuys, CA |
I absolutely recommend Dr. Getelman. He and his team took excellent care of me and were able to tell me exactly what to expect. Appointments were prompt with little or no wait time and the staff (with one unfortunate exception) were friendly and helpful.
in Pacoima, CA |
Definitely recommend dr getelman to friends and family and to anyone looking for an ortho surgeon. He and his staff were very professional . The attention to any detail or concern that I had was dealt with speed and patience. Follow ups daily on the app was just a helpful tool to keep in contact. I never felt alone after my surgery. I have and will continue to sing praises to his work,his staff and the facility.
in Simi Valley, CA |
Dr. Getelman, is in my opinion one of the best surgeons I've ever come in contact with. Yeah at first his bedside manner didn't seem all that great but, after a couple of visits i experienced otherwise, he is very very professional, he listened very well to all of my questions and concerns. In turn he gave me very honest and upfront answers, and come to find out, he is pretty darn cool. He did a great job with my shoulder, he is an excellent mechanic. YOU CAN TRUST HIM!!!, and his staff.
in Thousand Oaks, CA |
Dr. Getelman is a great surgeon, performed arthroscopic shoulder surgery on me. My pain is getting better it's only been day 4. 5/5 in skill. As far as socially dr. Getelman just isn't a nice Doctor / person, he makes you feel like he just wants the money. Ignores comments you make , poor bedside manner. However , Dr. Getelman compensates his poor attitude for his excellent skills and I rather have a doctor with a poor bedside manner and excellent skills than the opposite, I recommend him!
in Toluca Lake, CA |
Very satisfied.
in Van Nuys, CA |
Dr. Getelman is very professional. After a few more appointments I became more comfortable with talking to him and asking him questions. His team is incredible - before, during and after the surgery. His explanation of exactly how he was going to perform the surgery. HealthLoop was a wonderful way to help me keep organized daily on what I needed to do before the surgery date. I was able to have all my questions asked as well as give them all the information they needed.
in Santa Monica, CA |
Extremely knowledgeable and professional. Immediately identified (later confirmed via MRI) my problem that had been misidentified by another doc. Clearly spelled out my options and educated me throughout the surgical and post-surgical process.
in Simi Valley, CA |
Very competent, good patient interaction, provides clear explanation of condition and the procedure to be performed. I experienced an excellent outcome.
in Woodland Hills, CA |
Great doctor. Very competent and great bedside manners. Extremely happy with Dr G and the whole experience
Van Nuys, CA |
His bedside manner is terrible. In fact, most of the time he's staring into the computer with his back toward you. How can he examine me when his looking the other direction the entire visit? He's also dismissed my questions and seems to be either moody or passive aggressive. I can't decide which one in the handful of visits of been to him, but I'm unimpressed as a whole.
Have you seen Dr. Mark Getelman, MD?
Are you Dr. Getelman?

Visit Dr. Getelman

Dr. Getelman accepts 2 insurance carriers
  • Accepts most major Health Plans. Please contact our office for details.

Hospitals where Dr. Getelman has admitting privileges

Van Nuys, CA 91405
Thousand Oaks Surgical Hospital
401 Rolling Oaks Dr
Thousand Oaks, CA 91361

More Orthopedic Surgery Specialists like Dr. Getelman at Southern California Orthopedic Institute

Dr. Michael Bahk, MD