Neurology  |
Dr. Marianna Spanaki-Varelas, MD
Dr. Marianna Spanaki-Varelas, MD is a neurology doctor who practices in Detroit, MI. She is 52 years old and has been practicing for 29 years.

2799 W Grand Blvd Ste K-17

Detroit, MI 48202

• HAP Insurance
  • Priority Health

Learn about Dr. Spanaki-Varelas

See how frequently Dr. Spanaki-Varelas performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Epilepsy
Seizure Disorders
Brain Disorders

Dr. Spanaki-Varelas's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

• Neurology

Dr. Spanaki-Varelas does not have any board certifications listed.

• Alzheimer's Disease
  • Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension
  • Inflammatory and Toxic Neuropathy
  • Insomnia
  • Meningiomas
  • Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
  • Myasthenia Gravis
  • Temporal Arteritis
  • Tension Headache
  • Thrombosis
  • Tic Disorders
  • Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA)
  • Traumatic Brain Injury
  • Tremor
  • Trigeminal Neuralgia
  • Vasculitis
  • Vertigo
  • Visual Field Defects

• EEG (Electroencephalogram)
  • Vagus Nerve Stimulation (VNS)

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Michigan.

1 Sanction
  • Failure to complete continuing education requirements (9/19/2017)
    Action Taken: Probation
    Summary: Please reference the following Document
    Documentation: Download here (PDF)
    State: Michigan

• University Of Patras
    Medical School | Graduated 1988

Dr. Spanaki-Varelas has no awards or honors listed.

Dr. Spanaki-Varelas has no media or publications listed.

• French
  • Greek

Dr. Spanaki-Varelas does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Spanaki-Varelas and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

View Video

Dr. Spanaki-Varelas' Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Spanaki-Varelas to family and friends
Dr. Spanaki-Varelas' Performance
in Michigan |
Dr. Spanaki is very dedicated to her work. After it being determined that I was not a candidate for brain surgery, there were two available options. One was inserting a Vagus Nerve Stimulator (VNS) into my chest or implanting a stimulator into my skull. After hours of deliberation without the full support of her team, she decided to try the VNS. Now, there's no more dangerous seizures! Five stars don't do her justice. She has so many stars, symbols for her acts of kindness and love.
in Detroit, MI |
I have been to countless neurologist a couple of them have even told me I don't have epilepsy it's just a fluke that I have seizures now and again. Thank God for Dr spanikie and I did not listen to them because they have increased over the years and if it was not for her and her diagnosis and the medication she prescribed I would be so worse off right now she is the best neurologist I have ever been to she is carrying answers all your questions best doctor ever.
Farmington, MI |
I showed up as a patient on her office. She was 1.5 hours behind. When she finally came in she refused to see me because my visit was for headaches and she "only treats seizures".
in Clawson , MI |
Started taking my son to Dr. Spanaki when his seizures were increasing and his previous doctor actually told me she did not know what else to do for him. We found Dr. Spanaki who was very reassuring and patient. She was beneficial in evaluating our sons condition. We really appreciate her efforts to control his seizures and help ease our minds. Dr. Spanaki is a true professional. I would highly recommended her.
MI |
Dr. Spanaki is an amazing neurologist! She is truly one of a kind. I've never met a doctor that cares about her patients more than Dr. Spanaki does. She is not only very kind, helpful and smart, but she will sit with you until all of your questions are answered. She makes you a part of your care plan. She is very knowledgeable and explains everything in ways you can easily understand. I would highly recommend her to anyone looking for a neurologist, especially when it comes to seizures.
in Hockeytown, Mi. |
As a patient of Dr. Spanaki, I would highly recommend her to anyone seeking a nuerologist specifically in the areas of epilepsy and seizures. Dr. Spanaki stays current on new medication and procedures. She treats her patients as individuals with separate needs and is quick to respond when left a message. My pharmacists have often commented about how responsive she is. Dr. Spanaki is the one doctor I do look forward to seeing. I often refer to her as Wonder Woman.
in Almont, MI |
No other doctors I met in the course of having seizures for 30 years impressed me as being more concerned for my welfare than Dr. Spanaki-Varelas has every time I've seen her. I think that she is one of a kind. I could not recommend her highly enough. She came to my room in Henry Ford Hospital Detroit numerous times following my brain surgery to see if I was doing OK, and she went out of her way to make sure I felt well cared for. God bless her. I've remained seizure free for 4 1/2 years.
Have you seen Dr. Marianna Spanaki-Varelas, MD?
Are you Dr. Spanaki-Varelas?

See our Neurology Specialist at Henry Ford Hospital