Orthopedic Surgery  |
Dr. Mariam Hakim-Zargar, MD
I became an orthopaedic surgeon because my father was a dedicated pediatrician who loved his work. Being stopped and thanked in public was a fairly common event anytime we stepped out as a family. Early on, I learned the joys and rewards of helping other people and when I rotated through orthopaedics in medical school, it was an instant match. As far as I could tell, there was no other field in medicine where people's lives could be so quickly and dramatically improved. The most impressive patients to me, were those who had coped with chronic joint pain for decades and finally underwent joint replacement. Their new found lease on life, and the joy in their faces as they thanked their surgeons, transported me back to my childhood and my outings with my father. I couldn't imagine myself doing anything else. Being an orthopaedic surgeon is a true privilege. I'm a solo practitioner, and while my elective practice is focused on the treatment of foot and ankle disorders, I provide orthopedic coverage for my community hospital six nights a month. In this capacity, I am able to use my general orthopaedic skills to provide care to some of the most thankful, and often some of the most vulnerable members of my community. It is common for me to be treating multiple members of the same family concurrently for different musculoskeletal problems. It's a true honor and pleasure to be able to care for a whole community of people. I'm active in my hospital's leadership, where I serve as Chairman of the Credentials Committee, as well as Chairman of the section of Orthopaedic Surgery. On a state level, I'm active in our state Orthopaedic Society, where I serve as the President. I have a background in public health, and see these engagements as natural extensions of my practice as an orthopaedic surgeon. These venues allow me to take responsibility for and affect public policy and patient care from a more comprehensive vantage point. I'm also an active member of my undergraduates university's Alumni Association and interview applicants once a year. It's a fun way for me to give back to my college and keeps me in touch with the younger generation of up-and-coming professionals.

New England Orthopedic Center LLC

• EmblemHealth
  • Golden Rule
  • Oxford Health Plans

Learn about Dr. Hakim-Zargar

Dr. Hakim-Zargar believes in treating patients on an individualized basis, as each patient and situation is unique.  Non-operative treatments are used first and operations are a last resort when all other courses of action have failed.

Dr. Hakim-Zargar's Experience

Dr. Hakim-Zargar's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery

• Elbow Sprain
  • Femur Fracture
  • Foot Fracture
  • Foot Sprain
  • Fracture of Hand (incl. Fingers)
  • Ganglion Cyst
  • Hammer Toe
  • Hand Fracture
  • Heel Spur
  • Hip Fracture
  • Knee Fracture
  • Knee Sprain
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Morton's Neuroma

• Shoulder Fracture Treatment
  • Shoulder Fracture and Dislocation Treatment
  • Trigger Finger Release
  • Viscosupplementation With Hyaluronate

No malpractice history found for Connecticut.

• University Of Louisville School Of Medicine
    Medical School | Graduated 2001
  • University Of Connecticut Health Center/John Dempsey Hospital
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2006

Dr. Hakim-Zargar has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Hakim-Zargar does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Hakim-Zargar and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Hakim-Zargar's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Hakim-Zargar to family and friends
Dr. Hakim-Zargar's Performance
Goshen, CT |
Great doctor. Companionate and intelligent. Skilled surgeon. Very thorough and has the patient's puts well being first. Every thing a doctor should be. Highly recommend.
in Burlington, CT |
Dr. Hakium is one of the best doctors I have ever had the pleasure to use. She is thorough, compassionate, intelligent and just an all over wonderful human being. She is not "knife happy" opting for surgery as a last resort. She does not rush you through your visit, and takes time to really listen to you, since diagnosing properly comes with diagnosing the whole person and not just the foot! I have read the review from Harwinton (one star) and say ignore it! That is not her....period!
in Morris, CT |
I recently needed emergency surgery on a Saturday night and was very fortunate that Dr. Hakim-Zargar was the doctor on call. She is a tremendous advocate for her patients, an excellent, highly skilled surgeon and a truly lovely person. I highly recommend this doctor.
in Harwinton, connecticut |
Not very compassionate office at all. I was rear ended, and was diagnosed with whiplash. We have med pay though our auto insurance and health insurance through work. The office still insisted on us paying $150 up front before they would treat my wife. I'm sorry, but it was obvious they were more interested in money, than my well being. Office was empty, and she is accepting new patients. Now you know why. Also informing my PCP so they no longer will refer anyone to them.
in Torrington, CT |
Such an amazing Doctor. What she did for me was more than an Doctor did in my 40 years
in Barkhamsted, CT |
She is the most compassionate Dr. who is very knowledgeable and won't offer surgery if it isn't needed. Love her!
in Torrington |
The absolute best orthopedic I have ever been to ! Dr Hakim-Zargar is very knowledgeable, compassionate & down to earth sweet person. The office staff is wonderful as well! I recommend them to everyone!
in bethlehem, CT |
She was very friendly and made me feel very comfortable. She made the information about my arm easy to understand. Overall it was a great visit and staff was very nice as well. Thankyou Dr!!
in Torrington, CT |
we recently were referred to dr. hakim from the charlotte hungerford hospital er. dr. hakim was not only very thoroughb, but incredibly personal and profession.
in Harwinton, CT |
Dr. Hakim is wonderful! She is intelligent, patient and empathetic. She never seems rushed and she never rushed me through my appointment. She is very thorough and remember details about me from one visit to the next. She offers the best care at the best price that she can. I have recommended her to several family members and friends!
Litchfield, CT |
Dr. Hakim is very knowledgable, patient, thorough, and empathetic. She provides not only medical support but personal support, insuring that her patients are comfortable and fully understand their medical needs and options for treatment. Dr. Hakim takes the to answer all questions, never rushes through an appointment, and is consistently positive about outcomes.
Excellent! I was given a same day appointment. I was brought to an exam room within minutes of arriving. Dr. Hakim took the time to listen to me. Wonderful experience.
Have you seen Dr. Mariam Hakim-Zargar, MD?
Are you Dr. Hakim-Zargar?

Visit Dr. Hakim-Zargar