Dr. O'Toole's Background
Research training, expertise and qualifications
- Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Obstetrics & Gynecology, 2012
- Destruction or Excision of Lesion of Cervix (incl. LEEP)
- Destruction or Excision of Vaginal Lesions
- Excision, Shaving, or Destruction of Skin and Subcutaneous Tissue (incl. Mohs Micrographic Surgery), Tissue Transfer
- Gynecologic Cancer Screening
- Hysterectomy - Laparoscopic
- Hysterectomy - Open
- Removal of Reproductive Organs (Hysterectomy, Oophorectomy, Salpingectomy, Salpingo-Oophorectomy, Resection of Peritoneal Malignancy)
- Vaginal Birth After Cesarean (VBAC)
- Vaginal Delivery and VBAC
- Asymptomatic Post-Menopausal Status
- Breech Position
- Carcinoma in Situ
- Cervical Cancer
- Cervical Polyps
- Fallopian Tube Cancer
- Human Papilloma Virus
- Hypertension Complicating Pregnancy, Childbirth and Postpartum
- Intrauterine Growth Restriction
- Ovarian Cysts
- Pap Smear Abnormalities
- Pregnancy & Hematologic Abnormalities
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases
- Symptomatic Menopause
- Uterine Cancer
- Uterine Fibroids
- Uterine Prolapse
- Vaginal & Pelvic Prolapse
- Yeast Infections
Background Check for Dr. O'Toole
Malpractice Claims not available
- Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Rhode Island.
- Professional Misconduct (10/13/2010)
- Action Taken: Reprimand
- Allegation of Complaint:
Dr. Maria M. O'Toole; License # MD06049
Nature of Complaint:
The Obstetrical Review Group met on 10-24-2008 to review the physician's alleged failure to timely recognize and respond to fetal distress resulting in an infant's death on 10-04-2008. The ORG believes that earlier intervention and delivery may have improved the outcome. The Women and Infants Hospital on 08-21-2009 notified the Rhode Island Board of Medical Licensure and Discipline of the claim.
A peer reviewer for the Board recognized the care by the physician to be generally inattentive. The Peer Reviewer identified the physician's failure to meet the standard of care in two areas: inattention to labor progress in the setting of repetitive fetal heart rate decelerations and failure to perform a cesarean delivery.
The Rhode Island Board of Medical Licensure and Discipline determined that the physician failed to correctly assess fetal well-being and consideration of earlier delivery.
Action Taken-Consent Order
The physician has been issued a Reprimand by the Rhode Island Board of Medical Licensure and Discipline and shall pay an administrative fee in the amount of $500.00 within sixty days.
- State: Rhode Island
- No board actions found for the years that Healthgrades collects data.
Education & Training
Languages Spoken by Dr. O'Toole & Staff