Dr. Marcia Sawa, MD

Dr. Sawa
Telehealth services available

Meridian Partners

625 N Michigan Ave Ste 2550 Chicago, IL 60611

Dr. Marcia Sawa, MD is a Psychiatry Specialist in Chicago, IL and has over 24 years of experience in the medical field. Dr. Sawa has more experience with Psychotic Disorders than other specialists in her area. She graduated from Southern Illinois University School Of Medicine medical school in 1997. She is affiliated with Evanston Hospital. She is accepting new patients and has indicated that she accepts telehealth appointments. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Sawa to book an appointment.

Dr. Sawa's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Sawa

2.0

Dr. Sawa?
  • Wait times (28)
  • Appointment wasn't rushed (10)
  • Listened & answered questions (10)
  • Appointment was rushed (32)
  • Didn't explain conditions well (32)
  • Didn't listen or answer questions (31)
Doctor Sawa is the most disorganized and dishonest professional I’ve ever dealt with. I met with her for a simple dosage check on my anti-anxiety medication. She told me I probably have bipolar. That diagnosis didn’t ring true, so I spoke with my therapist about it. When my therapist asked Dr. Sawa about it, she denied ever making the diagnosis. Why did I continue visiting Dr. Sawa? Because she offered to refill my prescription to “make it easy.” That was a huge mistake. She cancelled the auto-renew, and when I realized it the day I needed to refill the prescription, she told me that I would have to meet with her every two months for the refill. Before this, I had my prescription auto-filled by my GP. Dr. Sawa essentially held my prescription hostage so she could bill my insurance for a full visit every other month. Do not choose this doctor!
Jeremy – Oct 22, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Marcia Sawa, MD?
Dr. Sawa has been my psychiatrist for about 6 months. I started seeing Dr. Sawa for medication management after exiting an intensive outpatient program for trauma. She listened to my concerns and medical history and took them seriously. She researched medication that would work with my metabolic disorder, as I'd had some issues with metabolizing more commonly prescribed anti-depressants. Dr. Sawa has found the right mix of medications to bring me out of a major depressive episode and I have been doing really well, better than I have in years - sleeping well, good mood, and feeling like my old self again. I've seen 4 psychiatrists over the course of my life and Dr. Sawa has been my favorite. She's kind, thorough, and very knowledgeable. I always looks forward to our sessions and feel well cared for. Highly recommend.
Apr 23, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Marcia Sawa, MD?
So I have a rare positive review for Doctor Sawa. Not sure where all of these other accounts and reviews are coming from, and I hope she has improved her practice, as has been indicated to me through my appointments. I had recently come off of a spell of terrible psychiatrists, assuming that since they took insurance, they were the best I could get. They didn't care about me and my problems, and were prescription mills. Having read these reviews, I was none too excited to see Dr. Sawa in Evanston. But feeling desperate, I took the appointment. I can't say anything negative about Dr. Sawa. She does not have the best bedside manner, this is true. She does not deal in b*******. I'm hoping that this explains some of the negative reviews. She is not there to coddle. However, her expertise, and knowledge in brain chemistry and the chemistry of the pharmaceuticals she is prescribing is impressive. She worked with me to find the best cocktail for me, and she did so with care and expertise.
Jarred Sparber – Mar 09, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Marcia Sawa, MD?
Bad news! Dr. Sawa kept bulging her eyes out at me as if she was annoyed. She told me I would be a burden to my friends/family if I reached out to them, and discounted my recent (very helpful) diagnosis without asking me about it. She spent most of the time criticizing me and didn't try to understand my situation. She held onto my diagnosis papers until the next time, but the front desk called to cancel from her end a few days later. Thankfully the desk is helpful & there won't be a next time.
Mar 16, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Marcia Sawa, MD?
LISTEN TO THE NEGATIVE REVIEWS. DO NOT VISIT THIS "DOCTOR" UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. I have so many terrible things to say about this sad excuse of a human that I do not even know where to begin. First of all, she has no business being in this profession. Sawa pretty much berated me for my entire appointment and tried to convince me that I was faking my mental illness (that I have been diagnosed with and treated for for the last 9 years). She is a rude, mean, condescending shell of a person.
Chicago, IL – Mar 02, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Marcia Sawa, MD?
Dr Sawa has shown me her considerable skill in both judging a disorder and recommending medication. She is an excellent choice for psychiatric care.
Dec 14, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Marcia Sawa, MD?
I saw her once. I was very depressed and was told to make an appointment with a psychiatrist. After filling out a bunch of forms which she didn't bother to read, she asked why I was there (duh). When I said I wasn't sure about taking antidepressants because I have had so many bad experiences with side effects of medications over the years, she told me if I wasn't there for medication management I was wasting her time. My conclusion is that she is a nasty, rude woman in the wrong line of work.
Chicago, IL – Nov 06, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Marcia Sawa, MD?
Extremely Grateful for Dr. Sawa accepting me as a patient from my referring physician. Myself, raised among Medical Pros, family and being a retired Employee of the Year at Northwestern, specifically in the Medical School, I feel I can adequately gage & know when in the presence of an excellent Health Care Provider. Also referring me to groups increasing my confidence with coping skills in our now fractured society, I remain aware there is no quick fix without my own, honest effort ongoing
Carole L. Becker in Highland Park, IL – Aug 24, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Marcia Sawa, MD?
My previous Dr. moved and referred Dr. Sawa. I’m glad she did. She was very nice, knowledgeable, and helpful.
Abby in Evanston – Aug 23, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Marcia Sawa, MD?
My wife saw Sawa for sudden onset of anxiety. She had recently went on blood thinners . I pleaded with Sawa to consider the thinners as a possible cause for her current mental state. She shrugged that off as not possible . What we didnt know at the time was she was in hypovolemic shock (loss of too much blood) which can cause anxiety and cognitive issues. You would think a MD in Pysch should know the signs of this. We didnt get the right help until my wife fell unconscious.
  • Appointment was rushed
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
  • Didn't explain conditions well
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
Mark R. in none – Aug 02, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Marcia Sawa, MD?
I thought she was GONE. I received her letter of resignation from NSUHS in 9/2016. Yet, now she shows up as a member of my so-called CareTeam. Talk about waving a red flag in front of a bull! No one seems to understand how terrible my 20 minutes with her (in 2014) actually were. HOW CAN SHE ACTUALLY BE ON MY CARETEAM? This is cruel.
Ellen F. in Evanston, IL – Sep 29, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Marcia Sawa, MD?
This is a follow-up. Dr. Sawa's nastiness has been reported to the Illinois Department of Professional Regulation, the NorthShore Medical Group, and to her superior, Dr. F. Miller. They found nothing wrong with her behavior nor, apparently, with the more than 15 negative reviews I found online. I copied and pasted and submitted them with my personal complaint. Nothing will improve unless more people she frightened or whose time she wasted... report her.
Ellen Fendrich in Evanston, IL – Aug 15, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Marcia Sawa, MD?
This was one of the worst experiences I've ever had with a doctor. Sawa seemed perturbed to even see me at the beginning, which I just ignored because I figured I was going to get sound medical advice. She asked me a couple questions and then kept bulging out her eyes at me like she was incessantly annoyed to be even having the conversation. She talked to me for only 10 minutes and then started berating me and listing out what she deemed as my extensive problems. It was frankly very upsetting.
Evanston, IL – May 17, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Marcia Sawa, MD?
I saw Dr. Sawa once. That was all it took for me to feel her instant dislike for me and and all the anger she then accused ME of. Angry, sarcastic, cold, uncaring, almost hostile. When I tried to switch to another MD in the psych department - one who was originally recommended to me but who was not taking new patients at that time - she would not allow my chart to be transferred to another doctor. I was literally SHUT OUT of seeking psychiatric care at my own hospital, in my own medical plan.
Annie in Evanston, IL – Apr 16, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Marcia Sawa, MD?
I had to switch to Dr. Sawa because my previous doctor moved. He general demeanor is cold and uncaring. You can tell from her body language and general attitude that she has grown to hate her job and probably the rest of her life, too. She changed my medication that has been working well for me so far, and spent our entire 20 min session together chastising me about everything i do wrong in regards to my mental health. She didn't let up until she had me in tears in her office.
Evanston, IL – Mar 26, 2016
Evanston, IL – Mar 26, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Marcia Sawa, MD?
Simply put this is the worst experience I have ever had with a medical professional. Her manner was curt and dismissive from the moment she called me to her office. After talking with me, or rather at me, for 15 minutes she was magically able to discern that my previous diagnosis was inaccurate, my medication was dangerous and the dosage was homeopathic. Apparently she not only lacks respect for her patients, but for her colleagues as well. I would not recommend this charlatan to anyone.
Sarah in Evanston, IL – Mar 15, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Marcia Sawa, MD?
The poor reviews are true. Dr. Sawa is quite rude and on several occasions made errors, from confusing me with another patient to never remembering my medical history. I ended up on a very destructive path on meds I never should have had, and it was only after leaving her care that I became much better, became completely rx-free, and felt like myself. I'm sure she is fine for certain people and conditions, but if you sense something is off or you could do better, you are probably right.
Evanston, IL – Feb 21, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Marcia Sawa, MD?
I had to see her because my health insurance changed and I could not see my previous psychiatrist under my new plan. Sawa didn't listen to a thing I said and is taking me off medications I know work, even when I begged her to not do that. I will not be returning.
Feb 19, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Marcia Sawa, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Sawa?

• Psychiatry