Dr. Mahesh Shenai, MD

Dr. Mahesh Shenai, MD

Neurosurgery  |

Dr. Mahesh Shenai, MD is a neurosurgery doctor who practices in Fairfax, VA. He is 40 years old and has been practicing for 12 years. Read his story

Inova Medical Group - Neurosurgery

8503 Arlington Blvd Ste 200

Fairfax, VA 22031

• Anthem
  • CareFirst Blue Cross Blue Shield
  • Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield

Learn about Dr. Shenai

See how frequently Dr. Shenai performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Chiari's Deformity
Brain Surgery
Spine Fractures, Traumatic

Dr. Shenai's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. Shenai's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Shenai "Dr. Mahesh B. Shenai, MSE, MBA is a board certified and fellowship-trained neurosurgeon, with over 5 years of clinical and surgical experience. He specializes in the surgical treatment of movement disorders (Parkinson's disease, essential tremor, dystonia), with expertise in deep brain stimulation (DBS) therapy. He serves as the director for Functional and Restorative Neurosurgery at the Inova Neuroscience and Spine Institute. Dr. Shenai has a special interest in bringing new surgical technologies to Inova and to provide the Northern Virginia community with cutting-edge care. He has been on the forefront of intraoperative imaging and computer-aided surgical navigation for complex spine instrumentation, allowing for maximum precision and accuracy during spinal surgery. More recently, Dr. Shenai performed an "asleep" DBS implantation directly in an MRI scanner – the first procedure of its kind in the DMV area. Inova is now only one of approximately 50 centers worldwide that can offer this unique type of procedure. Before arriving at Inova in 2013, Dr. Shenai served as a clinical instructor in neurosurgery at University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB), where he also directed the charity care clinic. He completed his residency and fellowship at UAB after graduating from the University of Michigan Medical School, where he was awarded a Howard Hughes fellowship. Dr. Shenai completed his undergraduate and graduate degrees in biomedical engineering at Johns Hopkins University and was named a prestigious Goldwater Scholar and a USA Today College Academic All-American. Dr. Shenai is a native of Michigan and currently resides in Northern Virginia with his wife and daughter."

• Neurosurgery

• Brain Cancer
  • Broken Neck
  • Cerebral Artery Thrombosis
  • Cerebral Hemorrhage
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak (CSF Leak)
  • Cerebrovascular Disease

• Deep Brain Stimulation
  • Disc Replacement
  • Dural Repair or Other Spinal Cord Repair
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery
  • Nerve Block, Somatic
  • Neuroplasty
  • Spinal Compression Fracture Repair
  • Spinal Fusion
  • Spinal Reconstructive Surgery for Deformities
  • Spine Fracture Treatment

No malpractice history found for Virginia.

• University Of Michigan Medical School
    Medical School | Graduated 2005
  • University Of Alabama
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2011
  • University Of Alabama
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2013

Dr. Shenai has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Shenai does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Shenai and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Shenai's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Shenai to family and friends
3.9
Dr. Shenai's Performance
Clinton, MD |
Visited after referral for second opinion. He was rude, in a hurry and though I provided an MRI, I am not certain that he looked at it but did quote the radiologist. There is "a question of ..." a cyst on spine. He stated he didn't even know if it existed and told me to come back in 6 months. I came to see him to have him look at the MRI and advise what the MRI indicated about the existence of the cyst. I really like INOVA, but not this guy.
in Winchester, VA |
We traveled a long distance to see Dr.Shenai and we are very pleased. I have Parkinsons, and was placed on many medications. Though it initially worked, my condition slowly worsened -- my neurologist said I should consider deep brain stimulation, or DBS, and referred us to Dr.Shenai. He spent a lot of time with us, and went over the process step by step. I finally had it done 2 months ago - my tremors are now absent, and I take a lot fewer medications. Highly recommend-
Fairfax, VA |
I had a very POSITIVE experience with Dr.Shenai. I came to his office after seeing two other neurosurgeons, both wanted to do a spinal fusion on me, with rods and screws and the like. Instead of only looking at my MRI, Dr.Shenai actually listened to me -- and suspected that my pain was coming from my femoral nerve, instead from inside the spine. I am now doing much better with non-operative treatment. Would highly recommend Dr.Shenai -- honest and thorough.
Annandale, VA |
We consulted Dr. Shenai after my mother had emergency surgery in another state for a broken neck. It did not appear he had read any of her case file. He kept stating he did not know what procedure was done, the implants used, etc. though this information was sent to him weeks before. We asked about the discharge tests the surgeon in the other state recommended and asked Dr. Shenai to contact him. He refused. We went to another neurosurgeon and are very happy. I would not go to Dr. Shenai.
in Alexandria, VA |
I had a condition where arthritis in my spine began to pinch off my spinal cord, and I was losing strength in my hands and legs. Dr.Shenai did a spinal fusion in my neck and relieved the pressure on my spinal cord, and my strength almost immediately started to return! Now, after physical therapy and rehab, I am 100% better than I was. Throughout the process, Dr.Shenai has provided clear explanations and focused on realistic explanations. His staff and assistants are also incredible-
in Springfield, VA |
Dr. Shenai is a wonderful surgeon. Number 1. Can't recommend him and his staff enough!!!!
in Alexandria, VA |
Dr. Shenai did surgery on my wife in March. Before surgery a lot of numbness in hands. He did CSF. She has been in pain since having the surgery. She got a second opinion from another specialist. Her latest CT Scan shows several loose screws. One screw is not attached to anything. She now has to have the same surgery again to fix his mistakes. Not a very good surgeon.
We have shared your message with the practice manager, Steve. If you would like to speak further about this experience, please contact him at 703-970-2670 and request to speak with Steve. He can address your concerns with neurosurgery team.
in Burke, VA |
Dr Shenai did the 1st Asleep DBS in DMV on my husband. - all went above & beyond! - minimal wait times - staff performed miracles getting all approved w HMO - always kept us informed - arranged for INOVA to get MRI so that asleep DBS is now offered in DMV! - Dr S was always avlb to answer any questions - multiple staff followed up after surgery DBS is scary & Dr S & his team helped us every step! Huge success ! My husband now has his life back!!!!! THANK YOU Dr S & Team!!!
Have you seen Dr. Mahesh Shenai, MD?

Visit Dr. Shenai