Dr. Zaher Akkad, MD

Dr. Zaher Akkad, MD

Interventional Cardiology  |

Dr. Akkad was trained at Wayne State University Affiliated Hospital in Detroit, Michigan. Before joining Affiliated Cardiologists of Arizona, Dr. Akkad was an Assistant Professor of Internal Medicine and Cardiology at Wayne State University. During this time, he was the Interim Director of the Echocardiography Lab. Dr.Akkad published multiple textbook chapters in the fields of Cardiomyopathy, Myocarditis and Congestive Heart Failure. Dr. Akkad holds multiple board certifications, including Internal Medicine, Cardiovascular Disease, Interventional Cardiology, Nuclear Cardiology, and Echocardiography. Dr. Akkad's clinical skills are outstanding. Aside from being a superb cardiologist, he practiced as a hospitalist for two years before embarking upon his cardiology training. Dr. Akkad is a young, energetic and multi-talented cardiologist. He is a fully trained Interventional Cardiologist with superb skills in all aspects of cardiac and peripheral vascular interventions, as well as pacemaker implantation. He is also experienced in all aspects of non-invasive cardiology, including Echocardiography, Transesophageal Echo, and Nuclear Cardiology. Dr. Akkad is very compassionate with exceptional patient skills. His philosophy is to provide a level of care for his patients as if they are family. When entrusting him with your care, you can expect him to provide prompt, cutting edge and evidence-based treatments.

Affiliated Cardiologists of Arizona

1331 N 7th St Ste 400

• AARP
  • Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS)
  • AZ Foundation Medical Care (AZFMC)
  • Banner Health
  • Care 1st Health Plan
  • Health Net
  • Health Net of Arizona, Inc.
  • Indian Health Service
  • Maricopa Health Plan
  • Mercy Care

Learn about Dr. Akkad

I have 25 years of experience in cardiovascular medicine. Over the years, I have performed thousands of cases in cardiac and vascular interventions. I hold six Board Certifications in multiple areas of cardiovascular medicine.

I am fully committed to provide the highest quality of care in cardiac and vascular medicine to all of my patients. My qualified team and I will strive to treat each and every patient like a family member with dignity, compassion and courtesy.

Dr. Akkad's Experience

Dr. Akkad's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Interventional Cardiology
  • Board certified in Cardiovascular Disease, Internal Medicine and Interventional Cardiology

• Interventional Cardiology
  • Adult Cardiology
  • Clinical Cardiology
  • Invasive Cardiology
  • Nuclear Cardiology

• Cardiovascular Disease
  • Interventional Cardiology
    Accredited by: American Board of Internal Medicine*

• Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (AAA)
  • Acute Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT)
  • Acute Venous Embolism Thrombosis
  • Cardiomyopathy
  • Cardiovascular Disease
  • Carotid Artery Disease
  • Chest Pain
  • Chronic Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT)
  • Chronic Pulmonary Heart Diseases (incl. Pulmonary Hypertension)
  • Congenital Heart Defects
  • Congenital Heart Disease
  • Congestive Heart Failure
  • Coronary Artery Aneurysm
  • Coronary Artery Disease (CAD)
  • Coronary Artery Dissection
  • Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT)
  • Endocarditis
  • Heart Attack (Acute Myocardial Infarction)
  • Heart Disease
  • Peripheral Arterial Aneurysm
  • Peripheral Arterial Aneurysm and Dissection
  • Peripheral Arterial Disease of Extremities
  • Peripheral Arterial Embolism and Thrombosis
  • Peripheral Vascular Disease (PAD, PVD)
  • Phlebitis and Thrombophlebitis
  • Renal Artery Arteriosclerotic Disease
  • Rheumatic Aortic Valve Disorders
  • Secondary Hypertension
  • Septal Defect
  • Syncope
  • Thrombosis
  • Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA)
  • Tricuspid Valve Disease
  • Varicose Veins
  • Venous Embolism and Thrombosis
  • Venous Insufficiency

• Angioplasty
  • Angioplasty With Stent Placement
  • Cardiac Angiography
  • Cardiac Catheterization (incl. Coronary Angiography)
  • Cardiac Imaging
  • Cardioverter-Defibrillator or Pacemaker Insertion, Removal or Repair
  • Carotid Artery Stent Placement
  • Carotid Endarterectomy (CEA) or Excision of Infected Graft
  • Carotid Ultrasound
  • Chest CT (incl. Heart and Lungs)
  • Coronary Angiogram
  • Renal Artery Angioplasty
  • Stress Echocardiogram
  • Thrombolysis
  • Tilt Testing or Cardiac Event Monitors
  • Transesophageal Echocardiography (TEE)
  • Varicose Vein Procedure
  • Vascular Duplex Ultrasonography and Plethysmography
  • Vascular Stenting
  • Vascular Surgical Procedure
  • Vascular Transcatheter Embolization
  • Vein Laser Ablation

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Arizona.

• University Of Aleppo
    Medical School | Graduated 1990
  • Damascus University, Fac Of Medicine
    Internship Hospital | Completed
  • Wayne State University
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1997
  • Wayne State University
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2004

Dr. Akkad has no media or publications listed.

• Arabic

Dr. Akkad does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Akkad and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dignity Health - St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center

is a Recipient of a Healthgrades Excellence Award
Distinguished Hospital Award for Clinical Excellence

Hospital Quality Award

Dr. Akkad is on the medical staff at our top-rated hospital.

View Awards

Dr. Akkad's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Akkad to family and friends
Dr. Akkad's Performance
Phoenix, AZ |
Very considerate of his patience, Gives them all the time they need in the exam room. He listens and addressed issues. Very knowledgeable about Cardiology. Treats you like you are part of his family. Cares very much about his patience.
in Glendale, Arizona |
Dr Akkad and his assistant Katie Minor are the best doctors I have ever been to see. They are patient and informative, and never make you feel like you are being rushed. If it were not for Dr. Akkad I would not be alive. He came into my life and saved me from dying, and I will always be grateful that he was there. I call him my guarding angel, and he smiles when I tell him that. His office is very professional and caring. If you need a cardiologist he is your man.
in Maricopa AZ |
Dr. Akkad is my Husband Heart specialist we've bin with him about 3years, he and Katie Minor are the best, we trust Dr. Akkad advice. He's always upbeat and explain the situation so we can understand it, that helps a lot. He got a wonderful staff and they all work hand in hand, I think Dr. Akkad is the best thing he knows he's job and so does Katie. We are so glad to have them.
Maricopa, AZ |
I am alive today due to Dr. Akkad's care. I went to him with chest pains and other classic symptoms of a heart problem. He immediately scheduled an angiogram and opened up a 98% blockage. His personality, caring, gentleness and expertise are outstanding. Katie, his PA, is equally delightful.. Both the doctor and Katie showed a caring attitude. I was not a number. I was a person about whom they genuinely seemed to care. I would recommend him to anyone. Staff was very accommodating.
in Phoenix, AZ |
Dr. Zaher Akkad literally saved my life several years ago, when I passed out and taken to the hospital. Dr. Akkad, had diagnostic tests performed and determined my arteries were almost closed with plaque and cholesterol. through a total of three procedures, he opened up the arteries with stents and expansions. I would certainly cast my vote for Dr. Akkad as one of the best, if not THE best cardiologist in this country or the world!
in Phoenix, AZ |
I have had the pleasure and the gift of having Dr. Akkad as my Cardiologist for over 10years. He provided care due to a heart attack and follow up care. Dr. Akkad and his PA, Katie Minor, not only provide exceptional handling of the care of their patents, they are very caring and they are genuine with a sympathetic ear and heart. Their staff are great. i They are very thorough and take the time to ensure everything, providing solutions and alternatives to your situation. I thank God for them.
in Phoenix Az |
Dr. Akkad was great., very nice and excellent as cardiologist. I recommend him highly to anyone.Very Knowledgeable, super at explaining everthing.
in Wexford, PA |
Dr. Akkad treated me for heart problems while we were vacationing in AZ. He was very thorough and professional, performed the angiogram that led to bypass surgery. Explained everything in detail, followed up in St. Luke's and his office until I was released to return to Pittsburgh. Both Dr. Akkad and his PA, Katie Minor, were a pleasure to have at such a critical time for me and my family. I really felt that they cared about us, which gave us confidence. 2 thumbs up!! Tom Bachman Wexford, PA
in Phoenix, AZ |
Dr. Akkad is a genius. He saved me from having to have an extremely difficult surgery with a long difficult recovery. He explained exactly what he was going to attempt to do and after 4.5 hours of Dr. Akkad working on clearing out one of my femoral arteries (both were 100% blocked)was able to clear out one of them 100%. I was immediately able to walk again, and there was very little recovery time. I am having Dr. Akkad attempt to do the same on my other leg and have complete faith he will.
in Maricopa,AZ |
Dr..Akkad has been my cardiologist for 4 1/2 years and I have been very pleased with his work. He is a very compassionate doctor and I feel comfortable discussing any concerns I may have about my heart condition. His assistant Katie and all of his staff are very personable and professional. It is comforting to know you a great team of professionals taking care of your needs.
in Phoenix, AZ |
Extremely impressed with my entire experience with Dr Akkad and PA Katherine Minor. They took the time to both talk to and listen to me in a relaxed and attentive manner. Would definitely recommend their office.
in Maricopa, AZ |
I have been going to Dr. Akkad for 6 years and have never had a more efficient and attentive Physician. His bedside manner is excellent, I have never been rushed and he has addressed every issue I have brought to his attention in a professional and satisfying manner. I highly recommend Dr. Akkad.
in Queen Creek |
I highly recommend Dr. Akkad. He is an excellent interventional cardiologist with excellent bedside manners. Dr. Akkad never rushes through our appointments and explains everything. The best attribute of Dr. Akkad is that he really cares about the health and well being of his patients.
in Queen Creek |
I highly recommend Dr Akkad. He is my cardiologist for about 10 years. I have had a hard time controlling my blood pressure but he did find the perfect medication for it. Also recently Dr. Akkad did venous ablation, condition I've been suffering for many years, he and his team did excellent job during the procedure and aftercare. Dr. Akkad takes his time to listens to you and to your problems and comes up with solutions. Thank you Dr. Akkad
Phoenix, AZ |
Dr.Akkad is amazing. I had blockages in my legs and other doctors were going to refer me for bypass. I sought out another's opinion and I am so glad I did! He was able to open up my arteries with stents and I didn't need have to have surgery. He was able to do what the other doctors weren't. he truly is fantastic.
in Maricopa, AZ |
Doctor Akkad and P.A. Katy Minor plus Kizzy, Marisol, Regina and his entire staff are a fabulous team. I live in Maricopa,Arizona which is a small town outside of Phoenix. I had open heart surgery and Doctor Akkad and Katy watched over me every day. His office and his staff really care about their patients and that is special these days. I look forward to seeing them all during my visits and want to thank them and God for the extra life I've been given thanks to them. Wil Bibleheimer
in Phoenix, AZ |
I saw Dr. Akkad due to a major heart attack. Dr.Akkad and his associates literally saved my life. The follow up care is great. They are very attentative and answer my questions. THANK YOU
in Phoenix, Az |
Doctor Akkad is a life saver, literally. His diagnosis and quick action to the specific need in the Cath Lab was skillful and decisive. In addition, his bedside manner is earnest and healing. While providing information he is straight forward yet sensitive and cordial. I look forward to seeing him and trust him explicitly. His guidance for recovery and continued rehabilitation is precise and meaningful. I am in his hands as he performs the procedures and I would not want anyone else in charge.
in Phoenix, AZ |
Dr. Akkad and Katie Minor saw me on short notice and immediately took charge. After a stress test and EKG I was told that I had significant heart issues and needed an angiogram asap to identify and isolate my issues. In the span of two weeks I had five stents inserted in three blocked arteries. My wife and I had complete confidence in their knowledge, skill and ability. Within two weeks after surgery I was back to exercising vigorously. They are a fabulous team and I highly recommend.
in Phoenix, AZ |
Dr. Akkad is not like many of the doctors these days. He takes time to listen to the patient and always find the time to answer questions. He is very experienced cardiologist and vascular doctor. he saved my life when I had a heart attack. I have been doing great since then. His staff are amazing and very helful. His physician assistant Katie is so friendly and compassionate, she always calls back when I call with any questions. Thanks Dr. Akkad for all what you do and for saving my life.
in Maricopa, AZ |
Dr. Akkad is a caring man. His staff is fantastic. They actually care about you as a person, not just "another file with a complaint ". It's good to go and not dread the experience.
in Phoenix, AZ |
Dr. Akkad and Katie Minor, PA-C (his physician's assistant) have been very helpful in discovering and treating my angina. I've found they take time to listen carefully to what you have to say, and investigate your problems to a proper resolution. I've called their Medical Assistant who promptly talked to the doctor and called back with the answers, often scheduling appointments right away. Wait times typically run 5-20 minutes. And, most important, Dr. Akkad saved my life!
Have you seen Dr. Zaher Akkad, MD?
Are you Dr. Akkad?

Visit Dr. Akkad

Dr. Akkad accepts 19 insurance carriers
  • AARP
  • Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS)
    Maricopa Health Plan
    Phoenix Health Plan
  • AZ Foundation Medical Care (AZFMC)
  • Banner Health
  • Care 1st Health Plan
  • Health Net
    Health Net PPO
  • Health Net of Arizona, Inc.
    Health Net of Arizona HMO

1111 E McDowell Rd
Abrazo Arizona Heart Hospital
1930 E Thomas Rd
Phoenix, AZ 85016

More Interventional Cardiology Specialists like Dr. Akkad at Affiliated Cardiologists of Arizona

Interventional Cardiology Specialist