Dr. Lisa Tolnitch, MD

Surgical Oncology | Female

4101 Macon Pond Rd Raleigh, NC 27607 Get Directions
Dr. Lisa Tolnitch, MD
Dr. Lisa Tolnitch, MD is a surgical oncology doctor who practices in Raleigh, NC. She is 59 years old and has been practicing for 34 years. Dr. Tolnitch is affiliated with Rex Hospital and Duke Health Raleigh Hospital.

Dr. Tolnitch's Care Philosophy

I am a breast cancer surgeon. Like many doctors I started in medicine because I wanted to help people. I've always been a problem solver so I think thats why surgery particularly appeals to me. Early in my career no one was specializing in breast cancer. I started developing an expertise on that and then dedicated my whole practice to breast cancer. I think patients should choose Duke for breast care because we bring the most expertise to the table not only in surgery but also in oncology radiation and radiology. Duke has a longstanding history of comprehensive cancer work that includes research and clinical trials. Outside of work I enjoy riding horses being outside and gardening. I also run a non-profit foundation called Pretty in Pink that raises money for breast cancer surgery chemotherapy and radiation for local patients who cant afford treatment.

Dr. Tolnitch's Experience

See how Dr. Tolnitch's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Tolnitch

Dr. Tolnitch accepts 6 insurance carriers

Dr. Tolnitch is not currently accepting new patients

Check out the quality of care at the 2 hospitals where Dr. Tolnitch has admitting privileges.

Dr. Tolnitch's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Tolnitch to family and friends
3.2
Dr. Tolnitch's Performance
in Raleigh, NC |
Dr Tolnitch is an excellent, dedicated surgeon. With a diagnosis of breast cancer, Dr Tolnitch was the first Dr I contacted. Her exceptional reputation was well documented, and I was glad to have an experienced professional direct my care. With 5 tumors scattered through both breasts, she performed a bilateral mastectomy in a short time schedule at my extreme urging. The care I received from her office staff, both before and after the procedure was outstanding. I would highly recommend her.
in Raleigh, NC |
I went to see Dr. Tolnitch when my mammogram came back showing a shadow in my breast. She examined both of my breasts and explained to me why the shadow was on the mammogram. I appreciated how she took time with me instead of making me feel like I was just another body.
Raleigh, NC |
Dr Tolnitch did my moms prophylactic mastectomy. Her incision dehisced (the incision opened up).This happened on a weekend. Mom and I knew this was considered a surgical emergency, so we called Dr Tolnitch twice that weekend expecting her to tell us she would meet mom in the ER. Instead, Dr Tolnitch said it could wait until Monday at which point my moms incision had opened the entire length of the incision. Dr Tolnitch couldn't be bothered and my mom ended up with a wound vac for 3 months
in Raleigh, NC |
Dr Tolnitch has no bedside manner. She is cold and abrasive. She performed a core needle biopsy and it was performed in a rough manner with little to no explanation as what was happening or what to expect. Overall poor experience. Could not or would not let her perform surgery on me.
in Chapel Hill |
Stay away. I cannot express that enough! Careless during surgery, cold, zero bedside manner. RUN!
in Chapel Hill, NC |
I saw Dr. T. twice. #1 She said she'd call with the mammogram results. After three weeks I called her for results. They said she received/reviewed the report and all was fine. #2 I was interviewed at length by nurse practitioner. Dr. T. breezed in to do a breast exam. She felt something and ordered an ultrasound. Again she promised to call. It's been two months and no word from her, not even a card. Good thing I got immediate results from the radiologist. She won't see me again!
Have you seen Dr. Lisa Tolnitch, MD?
Are you Dr. Tolnitch?

Compare Dr. Tolnitch

Dr. Tolnitch's Care Philosophy

Dr. Tolnitch's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Surgical Oncology
  •  Board certified in General Surgery

Dr. Tolnitch has no media or publications listed.

No malpractice history found for North Carolina.

Why It Matters: Dr. Tolnitch's Board Certifications

• Gynecologic Cancer
  • Hyperparathyroidism
  • Lipomas
  • Partial Lung Collapse
  • Peripheral Vascular Disease (PAD, PVD)
  • Rib Fracture

Graduated in 1983

University Nc
    UNC Hospitals

Completed in 1988

Dr. Tolnitch does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Tolnitch and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Surgical Oncology