Dr. Lisa Marten, MD

Dr. Lisa Marten, MD

Ophthalmology  |

Lisa Martén, M.D. is Board Certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology with advanced fellowship training in Cornea and Refractive Surgery. Dr Martén performs the latest techniques involving bladeless iLasik and PRK procedures, Intacs for Keratoconus, Collagen Crosslinking, Implantable Collamer Lenses (ICL) and laser cataract surgery with multifocal lens implants. She trained at a referral center for Lasik, and treated many complications, helping her have a more careful approach when choosing candidates for surgery. She also has a background in nutrition and worked at a center for nutrition research in her home country of Costa Rica. She has extra insight into diseases that affect the eye such as Diabetes and Macular Degeneration. ..one of the Top 12 Lasik Surgeons in the United States… Dr. Martén received her undergraduate degree from Tulane University, as well as attending their School of Public Health Tropical Medicine for her Master's Degree in Nutrition. She also earned her Medical Degree from their medical school in 2001. During her studies, she won the AMA Foundation Leadership Award for her work as the president of the Latin American Medical Student Association. She also participated in research and received a grant from the American Heart Association. After completing her internship, Dr. Martén came to San Antonio for her Ophthalmology residency at the UT Health Sciences Center where she is now an assistant clinical professor. She moved to Tennessee where she attended the Wang Vision Institute for her fellowship. Dr. Lisa Martén is currently the medical director and owner of the South Texas Eye Institute, the first clinic in San Antonio to perform Lasik. She has performed thousands of refractive procedures and was recently honored from among her peers as one of the Top 12 Lasik Surgeons in the United States. South Texas Eye Institute also partners with research organizations where Dr. Martén is an investigator for several clinical trials. Dr. Martén has been selected as America's Top Ophthalmologist with special mention in Cornea and Refractive Surgery, and one of San Antonio's Top Doctors. She is also proud to be the official Eye Care Provider and Lasik Surgeon for the San Antonio Rampage AHL Hockey Team. Born in New Orleans, LA and raised in San José, Costa Rica, Dr. Martén's unique combination of cultures allows her to bring her patients quality care and the best service in their native language. Her patients value her dedication and the time she takes to explain eye conditions and their treatments. They also appreciate her donating her time for medical trips to Mexico and Costa Rica.

South Texas Eye Institute

2424 Babcock Rd Ste 101

San Antonio, TX 78229

• Amerigroup (Wellpoint)
  • Bakery & Confectionary Union Plan
  • Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas
  • CHAMPVA
  • CoreSource
  • Mail Handlers Benefit Plan (MHBP)

Learn about Dr. Marten

Mission

Provide the highest quality Ophthalmic service in a setting that is attractive to patients of all ethnic and educational backgrounds, that is cost effective, and meets the needs of our community.

Vision To be the best place to receive care, the best place to practice medicine, and the best place to work.

We strive to exceed the expectations of our patients in medical diagnosis, treatment, and in quality service.

Video

Dr. Marten's Experience

Dr. Marten's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Ophthalmology

• Corneal Abrasion or Laceration
  • Corneal Diseases
  • Corneal Erosion
  • Corneal Ulcer
  • Diabetic Macular Edema (DME)
  • Diabetic Retinopathy
  • Diplopia
  • Drooping Eyelids (Ptosis)
  • Drusen

• University Tenn Center Health Scis Memphis
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2007
  • Wang Vision Institute
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed

Dr. Marten has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Marten does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Marten and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Marten's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Marten to family and friends
4.1
Dr. Marten's Performance
in San Antonio, TX |
They talk a big game at the Eye Institute. They also tell you UP FRONT that the visit will take between 2-2" 30min. At that point, turn and walk out. Tell them that's too long. Don't be an idiot and get there EARLY like I did, to fill out paperwork. I do that as a COURTESY. 45 minutes later, I left. It's a business and there are other ophthalmologists that RESPECT that your time is valuable also. Get an office manager Dr. Marten, because I worked in ophthalmology and that's far too long to wait
San Antonio, TX |
Booked several appointments, spoke to several receptionists to confirm my appointments before I had to reschedule, only for a month later for them to call me and tell me they don't accept my insurance, THEN when I informed them to call my insurance and ask to be taken off of their list of approved providers, the guy in billing refused. Sounds like scam artists to me.
in San antonio, TX |
Mrs marten is very nice however her staff is horrible! They are rude they never call you back when they insist they will ! You have to be persistent if you want anything done . this is my third visit and i have yet to receive any medication or support from what she diagnosed me with!
in San Antonio,Tx |
Dr is awesome and Very courteous staff and environment pleasant however WAIT TIME is over 2 hours, appointment was for 2:40 pm , it is now 4:54 pm and still have not seen Dr.
in Arlington, TX |
I like everything. I would give people here a 5 because they are all good people. I am getting laser treatment for eye. I have also come for my glasses for the past 5 years and they have done a good job wi
in San Antonio, TX |
Dr. Marten listens and explains real good. She does a nice job examining my eyes.
in Houston, TX |
They are very thorough. Techniques seem to be up to date and everyone is friendly and positive.
in San Antonio, TX |
We recommend Dr. Marten to she is very thorough with her exams.
in San Antonio, TX |
I would recommend her because she is very thorough and she is very clear in her expectations of what is going on with you. She will try to fit you in even if it is emergency. It was really great that she saw me right away too when my eye was bleeding I have been treated for macular degeneration and glaucoma. They are very patient oriented.
in San Antonio, TX |
Dr. Marten give me good service and takes good care of me. I feel comfortable with here. They help take care of my eyes and make sure that I can see with decent glasses.
Awesome!
in Houston, TX |
They are very friendly and nice and acknowledge the patient when they come in. Very important. Staff were very informative about what he was going to do.
in Houston, TX |
My experience has been very professional. Today I had a field test because I have a shadow on my eye and my pituitary gland is injured. She also did cataract surgery on me. She is very thorough and I am very happy that I became a member of her clinic because I wasn't too happy with my opthalmogist before who misdiagnosed me with glaucoma. This practice found out that I did not have glaucoma and am now happy that I don't have to pay hundreds of dollars for treatments I did not need.
in Helotes, TX |
Equipment they have here is awesome. I had a procedure where they removed the growth in my eye. They also removed the film in my eye from a previous surgery using the laser technology. Dr. Marten did it in the office. It is still healing process and she is helping in monitoring the eye.
in San antonio , TX |
Everything is great. First time I came here, I felt really comfortable with Dr. Marten and assistants. I am here again for my glaucoma treatment care. They help check the pressure in my eyes to help me avoid going blind. It is well managed under my treatment. I feel confident in their service.
in San Antonio, TX |
Dr. Marten is very observant and explains things. The only drawback is it takes a while to the doctor.
in San Antonio, TX |
I have not had any trouble with Dr. Marten. I had blephorplastly on my eyelids. It went really well. I am able to see a lot better because my eye lids are lifted up. I would recommend her to others and have been going here since they have started.
in San Antonio, TX |
My mom came in for red eye and has before. I love it here. They do Pay attention to your needs and treat you really good. I like the way they work. Dr. Marten is great. She really take Care Of you especially if it is an emergency they get an appointment for you right Away. The staff are really good and to me the doctor is excellent.
in San Antonio, TX |
Dr. Marten gave me the proper care , took her time, and gave the right diagnostic which was that my eyes had macular degeneration. I am trying to keep the left eye healthy under her care checking for glaucoma and high blood pressure. Dr. Marten has a good background with the medical board certification.
in san Antonik, TX |
I would give Dr. Marten a 10 stars. She is awesome! She is the best doctor I ever had. She goes above and beyond for customer service. Dr. Marten's husband even picked me up before and after my surgery because I had a personal emergency. I had a corneal transplant and am in the healing process and would get my second eye done too. I even recommended to my primary care doctor and anyone who needs eye care.
in San Antonio, TX |
I did not get to see Dr. Marten, I saw Dr. Dudek She was so nice and friendly she made me feel like I was important, She gave me good news and made my day I hope I Always get sent to her for my Eye Exams. Even though the wait time was kind of long they keep you so comfortable and happy that it is not so bad waiting, Overall the wonderful Staff and Dr Dudek are so caring your visit is awesome.
in San Antonio, TX |
I came here for a general eye exam today. I also had surgery in the past to release the pressure in my eye for glaucoma. My eyes have gotten a lot better because I am receiving care to controll pressure in my eyes. I really like Dr. Marten because she is very thorough and knowledgeable.
in San Antonio, TX |
My mother had laser glaucoma surgery and it went really well. We love Dr. Marten because she speaks Spanish. No pain or problems. She is able to engage in regular activities. We would recommend Dr. Marten to others who are looking for eye care.
in San Antonio, TX |
I received eye exam check ups, glaucoma care, and keeping up with the cataract progression. I felt like they have been very thorough and very professional. I love the notifications they send in regards to your appointment for the week before, day before etc. via text. I would recommend South Texas Eye Institute to others.
in San Antonio , TX |
I had cataract surgery in an eye and I think they are very thorough in their eye exams and informative.
in San Antonio, TX |
This is my first time coming for a general eye exam. I am also looking into getting LASIK. My time with technicians was good and the front staff too. I would recommend South Texas Eye Institute to others.
in Greenville, TX |
It has been good for my husband Beverly Deleonand I. I had my eye exam for glasses. PTERYGIUM surgery is what my husband had which is a growth that grows over your eye. He puts drops in his eyes 3 times day and they were able to explain the care.
in San Antonio, TX |
I had cataract surgery and can see far away and before I couldn't in one of my eyes. My primary physician suggested that I come here. Dr. Marten's care is very good and so are her assistants.
in San antonio , TX |
Overall, everyone was nice. Dr. Marten's care was great. I come in because I had conjunctivitis and needed to figure out how to treat the infection. The front office is very friendly too.
in Houston, TX |
The service has been excellent in terms of my lasik consultation. Myrandah is very patient, very thorough, and very kind. I heard of South Texas eye institute at various places and have seen her in various magazines and tv shows. I would definitely suggest this place to others.
Atlanta, GA |
People are friendly and nice. I came for my general eye exam. Only thing I would suggest is improving the wait time.
Have you seen Dr. Lisa Marten, MD?

Visit Dr. Marten

Blue Choice
  • CHAMPVA
  • CoreSource
    Preferred PPO
  • Mail Handlers Benefit Plan (MHBP)

Hospitals where Dr. Marten has admitting privileges