Dr. Ligia Rioja, MD

Dr. Ligia Rioja, MD

NeurologyFemale

Dr. Ligia Rioja, MD is a Neurology Specialist in Oak Park, IL. Dr. Rioja has more experience with Epilepsy and Headache than other specialists in her area. She is affiliated with medical facilities Rush Oak Park Hospital and Elmhurst Hospital - Main Campus. She is accepting new patients and has indicated that she accepts telehealth appointments. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Rioja to book an appointment.

Rush Oak Park Specialty Clinic

New Patient?
Rush Oak Park Specialty Clinic610 S Maple Ave Ste 5500 Oak Park, IL 60304

Hospital Highlight

Affiliated with Rush Oak Park Hospital Oak Park, a highly rated hospital.

• Practices at Top Hospital Patient Safety Excellence Award™ See hospitals

More Neurology Specialists at Rush Oak Park Specialty Clinic

Dr. Rioja's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Rioja

Dr. Rioja
She is an outstanding physician that truly cares about her patients. She is warm, patient, thoughtful and extremely well qualified. She listens intently, tests when needed to, not just take care of your symptoms but to actually find the root cause of the issue that affects you. I am so glad that she is my neurologist. I am blessed.
KAREN RICHMOND – Mar 30, 2020
very good manner with my relative I accompanied who has a Learning Disability and some brain issues. She explained things carefully, went over tests and was very encouraging. She checked all tests and seemed very thorough.
IL – Jun 07, 2019
Dr. Rioja is the most professional and compassionate Dr. I've encountered. I suffer from migraines and occipital neuralgia with debilitating pain. After my first visit, Dr. Rioja ordered tests to reach a diagnosis and develop an ongoing treatment plan. Dr. Rioja is on time for appointments! Her office staff is professional and kind. Dr. Rioja is patient. She 'listens' to my concerns and never hustles me through my appointments. The few occasions I've had an 'urgent' situation, Dr. Rioja and her staff respond almost immediately. She is very knowledgeable about all types of headaches . Her scope of treatment options seems endless. No cookie-cutter diagnostics here-it’s personal with Dr. Rioja. I feel safe with her. Dr. Rioja cares about her patients and it shows. She takes time to discuss the best treatment for me and communicates in a language I understand. I recently had a health situation that Dr. Rioja is managing to get me the help I need. I'm lucky to have her.
May 14, 2019
Dr. Rioja is amazing! I have a rare, chronic, complex illness and it is difficult for me to find doctors that are willing to work with me to get to the root of new symptoms and help determine if they are indeed related to the chronic condition or not. Dr. Rioja, took the time to listen to me, acknowledge my concerns, and answer my questions without trying to ‘hurry me out of the office.' She was kind, patient, and seemed genuinely concerned and interested in getting to the root of the issue. She was also willing to collaborate and think outside of the box. I can’t say enough good things about her! She is a wonderful doctor who really cares about her patients and I am so thankful to have found her.
May 03, 2019
I have the absolute pleasure of being seen and treated by Dr. Rioja twice recently. She is one of the most pleasant, professional and thorough doctors I have met in a very long time. Her bed side manner is superb. She takes her time and explains everything she does and answers all questions. Stellar performance. I would definitely recommend her to others.
Ms. G. Jacobs in BROADVIEW – May 06, 2018
Dr. Rioja has demonstrated a warmth and compassion not often found in medicine. From my first encounter through a series of diagnostic tests, she has personally called me to follow up, discuss findings, and even asked for my permission to discuss my case with another physician. When my insurance would not cover a particular medication, she did not hesitate with providing the additional documentation. Her communication is thorough, timely and supportive.
Christina N. in Oak Park, IL – Dec 10, 2017
Hi Dr. Rioja, Today was my First visit with you and your staff, I just wanted to say first off you were so warm and friendly I felt like you really cared about my issues (I have been to many Dr.'s men/women the past 4 years due to my Medical Diagnosis and have literally walked out on a couple.so thank you for the professionalism & making me feel like a friend : ) 2nd I would like to say your office staff is wonderful.. Kelly was the 1st lady I talked to and she made a great impression! Thanks
Christina S in Addison, IL – Dec 08, 2016
After having radiation treatments to help shrink a mass found in my brain, I started experiencing numbness to my arms and legs, heart palpitations, blurred vision, and the sensation that my throat was closing. Dr. Rioja did a thorough neuro examination and diagnosed me with nerve damage and hypersensitivity. She knew exactly what medication to prescribe me. I've been almost pain-free for 8 months and am now able to start college this fall. I couldn't be more appreciative for how she's helped me.
Katie in Elmhurst, IL – Aug 18, 2016
Dr. Rioja has helped treat five members of my family in addition to myself. She has been incredibly kind and compassionate. I was suffering form rare disorder which went undiagnosed by three doctors. Dr. Rioja was able to figure out what was causing me so much discomfort and help effectively resolve it. She did this by listening very carefully to my symptoms and designing an individualized treatment plan. I recommend her to anyone I know who is experiencing neurological problems.
John in Chicago, IL – Feb 22, 2016
Dr. Rioja is very knowledgable, personable and bilingual. She was able to diagnose one of my family who speaks only Spanish and has dementia. She was so kind, patient and caring. Her office is very. clean and uses state-of -the- art- equipment. My family is so lucky to have found her! We will be referring all our friends who need a neurologist to Dr. Rioja!
Claudette in Burr Ridge, IL – Jan 15, 2016

How was your experience with Dr. Rioja?

No malpractice claims found for Illinois

Frequently Treated by Dr. Rioja

Based on treatment records, we have identified the following as areas of care that Dr. Rioja treats more often than their peers. If you are unsure whether Dr. Rioja treats other conditions, please contact the office at (312) 942-5936.

Epilepsy

Epilepsy specialists diagnose and treat spectrum of brain disorders that cause seizures due to an interruption of normal nerve activity in the brain.Compare with other Epilepsy specialists.

Dr. Rioja is experienced in the area of Epilepsy. See the graph below to learn more about her experience.

Based on claims data for 3 conditions and procedures

Normal
High
Very High

Headache

Headache is a common symptom that can sometimes signal a more serious condition, such as migraine, high blood pressure, or cerebral hemorrhage.Compare with other Headache specialists.

Dr. Rioja is experienced in the area of Headache. See the graph below to learn more about her experience.

Based on claims data for 6 conditions and procedures

Treatments
Similar Providers
All Headaches (incl. Migraine)
Headache

• Inflammatory and Toxic Neuropathy
  • Insomnia
  • Lyme Disease
  • Memory Evaluation
  • Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
  • Myoclonus
  • Nerve Block, Somatic
  • Nerve Conduction Studies
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Non-Cosmetic Chemodenervation
  • Parkinson's Disease
  • Parkinsonism
  • Peripheral Neuropathy Testing
  • Pituitary Tumor
  • Polyneuropathy
  • Post-Concussion Syndrome
  • Quantitative Sensory Test (QST)
  • Rathke's Cleft Cyst
  • Syncope
  • TCD Bubble Test
  • Temporal Arteritis
  • Tension Headache
  • Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA)
  • Tremor
  • Trigeminal Neuralgia
  • Vertigo
  • Visual Field Defects
  • Vitamin B Deficiency
  • Wada Test

Dr. Rioja accepts

Dr. Rioja accepts the following insurance:

National (BlueCard) PPO