Dr. Lev Elterman, MD

Urology | Male

Learn about this Doctor

Excellence, integrity, compassion.Read more

Personal Bio

Dr. Lev Elterman attended Rush Medical College. He graduated at the top of his class with a number of awards...Read more

Dr. Elterman's Experience

100Experience
Match

See how Dr. Elterman's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Elterman

Dr. Elterman accepts 17 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 3 hospitals where Dr. Elterman has admitting privileges.

Hospital Quality Awards

Dr. Elterman's Reviews

Help millions of people find the right doctor. Share your experience today!
Likelihood of recommending Dr. Elterman to family and friends
4.2
Experience with Dr. Elterman
Dr. Elterman's Office & Staff
    16 – 30 minutes (64)
in Chicago, IL |
Nice person, Very competent Doctor who actually LISTENS to his patients. What more could you want?
With so many years of experience it is easy for me to just decide that I know already what a patient is about to say. But I am also experienced enough to know that each patient is different. Thank you for your review
Chicago, IL |
I would recommend Dr. Elterman because he is a real professional, he finds time to listen to a patient and to explain why plan of treatment is chosen taking into account last achievements in medical field. He is trustworthy doctor.
Thank you for the kind words. A patient has the right to know his or her options and make an educated decision
in Mundelein, IL |
I'm a patient of Dr. Elterman for many years. Every time I visit doctor's office he listens carefully to all my complains and problems, and clearly explains suggested treatment. I would say Dr. Elterman is the highest level expert in this field. The office is equipped with the state of the art diagnostic and testing equipment. The office staff is competent and friendly. I strongly recommend Dr.Elterman to anyone.
Leo, thank you for putting trust in me. I do pride myself in having the latest technology in terms of diagnostic and testing equipment.
in Wheeling, IL |
Dr. Elterman is the best doctor. Dr. Elterman and his team always work to exceed their expectations. He is professional, patient, and is easy to talk to. He explains in a manner which is easily understood. He genuinely seems to care about his patients and is always pleasant. Dr. Elterman took the time to listen, and he answered all my questions. He is smart, thoughtful, and kind doctor. The words cannot describe my appreciation to Dr. Elterman. He saved my life.
what an amazing review! I am so happy I was able to help
in Chicago, IL |
I WOULD RECOMMEND DR ELTERMAN. HE IS MOST THOROUGH AND KNOWLEDGEABLE IN HIS EXAMINATIONS AND SURGERY.I FELT SAFE AND SECURE WITH HIM.
Trust between physician and patient is so important. I am so glad you feel safe in my office.
in Chicago, IL |
I've been here a few times and I have to say, Dr. Elterman is definitely one of my favorite doctors. His bedside manner is exceptional and he's very easy to talk to. I found him on Zocdoc last year and I've been seeing him ever since. Today I went to see him and it was like clock work, I was in and out before I knew it. Moreover, the service was excellent as always, he always makes me feel comfortable and that's a big thing in my book.
Thank you for your loyalty and wonderful feedback. I do agree that making patients comfortable should be one of the priorities for a physician, particularly for a urologist. A proper diagnosis and treatment plan depend so much on the patient sharing all the relevant information.
in Morton Grove, IL |
Wonderful doctor. Very knowledgeable and easy to talk to. Very easy to make appointments.
Thank you for the kind words. I am glad I was there to help
San Antonio, TX |
I would recommend Dr. Elterman to my friends and family. Overall staff was kind and helpful. The Doctor also answered all of my questions and put me at ease. The only thing I didn't like was the wait.
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. I will make sure to share your kind words with my staff
in Highland Park, IL |
Very nice, courteous, knowledgeable and understanding of your situation.
Compassion is one of the most important qualities a doctor should have, in my opinion
in Chicago, IL |
Dr Elterman is a good listener and addresses your concerns quickly. Couldn't have found a better dr. Explains everything thoroughly and tells you everything he's doing as he goes.
I am so glad you have a positive experience
in Skokie, IL |
I strongly recommend Dr. Elterman. He is very professional, attentive and polite doctor. During appoitment he was not in a hurry, explained everything in detailes and gave understandable recommendations.
I go to work every day so my patients can feel the way you do. Thank you for the privilege to be your physician
in Hinsdale, IL |
We are very pleased by the medical attention given by Dr. Elterman. He is very thorough, easy to talk with, and has an excellent plan to solve a problem. Thank you, Dr. Elterman!
We will get through it together!
in Chicago, IL |
My experience with Dr. Elterman was absolutely awesome. He diagnosed my problem quickly and precisely, and he did not leave anything to chance. He and the staff were always very friendly, they could precisely answer any question I had and always made me feel comfortable. The cure was also very effective, and the problem was completely addressed in a pretty reasonable time. I would highly recommend Dr. Elterman and Rush.
in Chicago, IL |
He is the best doctor in urology. I have visited him after visiting 4 other doctors. I had prostate enlargement and some other issues. After my 3 visit I got my test result on 22 which is 15 is the average for my age. From prostate enlargement to perfect result proofs how great doctor he is. Thank you again Mr Elterman. You are the best doctor ever.
in Niles, IL |
We are extremely happy with Dr. Elterman's bed side manner. He's been keeping my husband alive for the last 15 years. He always says that my husband is like his own grandpa (my husband is 89 years old). Dr. Elterman is the only doctor I know who answers all his emergency calls himself. He does not employ an answering service. We can reach him 7 days a week (evening and weekends). He is an unbelievable doctor!!!
in Chicago, IL |
I was advised of the procedure and explained the results in language I could understand. He answered all questions.
in Highland Park, IL |
Dr. Elterman takes the Hippocratic Oath quite seriously. He is very professional, respectful and truly cares how you are emotionally as well as physically. The practice is up to date technologically, yet still maintains that Old Time physician house call feeling.
in Glenview il |
Excellent Doctor, caring , highly recommended!!!
Woodridge, IL |
I went in for a standard removal of stage 0 polyps of the urinary bladder and Dr. Lev Elterman not only punctured a hole in my bladder but also did not diagnose the perforation over the duration of 4 weeks of agony as urine was leaking out into the abdominal cavity!!!. Dr. Elterman missed classic signs of a perforation and persisted with his diagnosis of hyper reaction of the bladder. I have survived only because I went to another hospital and another doctor saved my life!!!
in Chicago, IL |
I scheduled an appointment with his Skokie office. Went in on the day of the appointment and was told because I didn't use credit cards, I would not be able to see him. So, people that prefer to only use cash/check are penalized. I guess this doctor is more interested in making money than helping people.
Have you seen Dr. Lev Elterman, MD?
Are you Dr. Elterman?

• Prostate Oncology

Why It Matters: Dr. Elterman's Board Certifications

• Urology

Dr. Elterman says..

My particular areas of interest include voiding dysfunction in men and women, pelvic reconstructive surgery, continence procedures, placement of Interstim device, and minimally invasive procedures for BPH.

The goals of my practice include providing the best urological care and to communicate medical findings, treatment plans, and results in expeditious manner. My offices are completely equipped to evaluate and handle all of the urological conditions I look forward to providing you with the best possible care.

This information was supplied by or on behalf of the provider.
  • Atrophic Vaginitis
  • Balanoposthitis
  • Bladder Cancer
  • Bladder Diseases
  • Bladder Diverticulum
  • Bladder Infection
  • Bladder Stones
  • Blood in Urine (Hematuria)
  • Chronic Kidney Diseases
  • Elevated PSA (Prostate Specific Antigen)
  • End-Stage Renal Disease
  • Enlarged Prostate (BPH)
  • Erectile Dysfunction
  • Leakage of Urine
  • Male Genital System Cancer
  • Male Genitourinary Cancer
  • Neurogenic Bladder
  • Nighttime Urination (Nocturia)
  • Overactive Bladder
  • Painful Urination (Dysuria)
  • Primary Prostate Cancer
  • Prostate Cancer
  • Prostatitis
  • Restless Leg Syndrome
  • Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
  • Sleep Disorders
  • Urinary Disorders
  • Urinary Incontinence
  • Urinary Stones
  • Urinary Tract Cancer
  • Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)
  • Urinary-Genital Tract Fistula, Female
  • Urological Trauma
  • Vaginal and Pelvic Prolapse
  • Vaginal Prolapse
  • Vaginitis and-or Vaginosis
  • Vesicoureteral Reflux
  • Yeast Infections

Dr. Elterman says..

I received my medical education at Rush Medical College, and completed urological residency at Rush University Medical Center. In addition to being in private practice, I am deeply involved in teaching of residents and medical students at Rush University.

I have performed over 8000 surgeries since I have begone practicing as a urologist.

My areas of outmost interest include:

• Urodynamic Testing
  • Minimally invasive procedures for treatment of female urinary incontinence and Pelvic Floor Reconstruction
  • Sacral Nerve Stimulation, Interstim for Urge incontinence, Urinary Frequency, Urgency, Urinary retention
  • Minimally invasive and office procedures for treatment of BPH
  • Reconstructive and organ spearing cancer surgery - partial nephrectomy, orthotopic neobladder, nerve spearing prostatectomy
  • Pelvic floor physical therapy and pelvic floor rehabilitation are available in the office
This information was supplied by or on behalf of the provider.
  • Bladder Surgery
  • Kidney Surgery
  • Lithotripsy
  • Lymph Node Biopsy or Excision
  • Orchiectomy
  • Pelvic Exenteration (For: Gynecologic, Urinary, or Colorectal Malignancy)
  • Penile Implants
  • Urethral Reconstruction
  • Urethral Sling
  • Urinalysis
  • Urinary Incontinence Surgery
  • Urinary Stone Removal (Litholapaxy)
  • Urinary Tract Endoscopy
  • Urinary Tract Procedure
  • Uroflowmetry
  • Urologic Reconstruction
  • Urological Surgery
  • Urology Procedure
  • Vaginal Prolapse Surgery
  • Wound Repair

No malpractice history found for Illinois.

Rush Medical College Of Rush University

Graduated in 1995

St Lukes Med Center

Completed in 1996

Rush University

Completed in 2000

St Lukes Med Center

Completed in 2000

• Charles B. Huggins, M.D. Resident Essay Contest of the Chicago Urological Society ,1st place clinical research, January 19
    • Society of University Urology Residents Basic Sciences Research Award -2nd place,, April 27,
    • The Nathan M. Feer Prize - THe outstanding senior medical student as voted by the faculty, June 1995
    • AOA member -elected Junior year of medical school, 1994
    • The Pfizer Scholars in Urology Award, June 1999
    • McGraw-Hill Prize, (The Prize is awarded to the top two M1 students), 1993
    • The Irving J. Shapiro Award of the Chicago Urological Society, 1st place, April 1998
    • The Irving J. Shapiro Award of the Chicago Urological Society , 3d place, April 1997
    • David Sobel and Lev Elterman. Hematuria in Surgical Oncology: An Algorithmic Approach. Second Edition T.J. Saclarides, K.W. Millikan, and C.V. Godellas editors. Springer-Verlag, New York
    • Laurence A. Levine, Lev Elterman. Rigiscan in Male sexual function: a guide to clinical management. Edited by John J. Mulcahy. Totowa, N.J.: Humana Press, 2001
    • Patrick Guinan, Marvin Rubenstein, Michael Shaw, Charles F. McKiel and Lev Elterman. African Americans Receive Therapy for Cure of Prostate Cancer at Rates Similar to Whites. Abstract 1382. Journal of Urology 161: 357, 1999
    • Laurence A. Levine and Lev Elterman: Urethroplasty following total phallic reconstruction. Journal of Urology 160: 378-382, 1998
    • Kalian C. Latchamsetty, Lev Elterman, Christopher L. Coogan. Schwannoma of a seminal vesicle. Urology. 60(3):515, 2002
    • Michael Shaw, Lev Elterman, Marvin Rubenstein, Charles F. McKiel, Jr., Patrick Guinan. Changes in radical prostatectomy and radiation therapy rates for African Americans and whites. Journal of the National Medical Association. 92(6):281-4, June 2000
    • Lev Elterman and Shahid Ekbal. An open prospective study of the safety and efficacy of transurethral ablation in patients with trilobar benign prostatic hyperplasia. Abstract 1168. Journal of Urology 161: 304, 1999
    • Laurence A. Levine, Lev Elterman, and Daniel B. Rukstalis: Treatment of subclinical intraurethral human pailloma virus infection with Interferon Alpha-2b. Urology 47: 553-557, 1996
    • Ernst W. Lisek, Lev Elterman, Charles F. McKiel, Jr., and Jerome Hoeksema. Prostrate Cancer in Surgical Oncology: An Algorithmic Approach for the General Surgeon. T.J. Saclarides, K.W. Millikan, and C.V. Godellas editors. Springer-Verlag, New York. 460-476, 2003
    • Lev Elterman, Kelly Bewsey, Gabriella Cs-Szabo, Ada Cole, Laurence A. Levine. Connective tissue components of Peyronie's disease plaque. Abstract 748. Journal of Urology 163: 169, 2000

• Lithuanian
  • Russian

Dr. Elterman does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Elterman and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

×

Dr. Elterman's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

• Specializes in Urology
  • Board certified in Urology
×

Why Does Experience Matter?

Patient Satisfaction Results for Dr. Elterman

Overall Patient Satisfaction Score

Dr. Elterman's Office & Staff

Ease of scheduling urgent appointments
Office environment, cleanliness, comfort, etc.
Staff friendliness and courteousness
Total wait time (waiting & exam rooms)
16 – 30 minutes

Experience with Dr. Elterman

Level of trust in provider's decisions
How well provider explains medical condition(s)
How well provider listens and answers questions
Spends appropriate amount of time with patients

Dr. Elterman says...

Dr. Lev Elterman attended Rush Medical College. He graduated at the top of his class with a number of awards and then went on to urological residency at Rush University Medical Center.

He is a faculty member at Rush University. He is serving as the Chief of the Urology section at Louis A. Weiss Memorial Hospital.

In 2001 Dr. Elterman founded the Chicago Association of Russian-speaking Physicians (CARP) which is a medical Society devoted to continuing education of physicians of the Chicago area. He is also the president of this organization.

He is the founding chairman (2011) of the International Russian-speaking Urological Society (iRUS). This organization is dedicated to promoting highest standards in urological education for Russian speaking urologists around the world. This organization is recognized byAmerican Urological Association.

Dr Elterman is the only urologist in Chicago to have his own Wikipedia page due to his achievements in the field of Urology.

Dr. Elterman's Care Philosophy