Dr. Leon V. Katz, MD

Learn about this Doctor

Dr. Katz's Experience

95Experience
Match

See how Dr. Katz's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Katz

Dr. Katz accepts 30 insurance carriers

30 Insurance Carriers Accepted*

*Please verify this information when scheduling an appointment

/* /.overlay-container */}

Check out the quality of care at the 2 hospitals where Dr. Katz has admitting privileges.

Hospital Quality Awards

Reviewing Dr. Katz

Dr. Katz's Review Details
4.9 based on 62 responses
Experience with Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz's Office & Staff
    10 – 15 minutes (61)
Dr. Katz says

Thank you for taking the time to add a patient satisfaction evaluation.  If you feel you got great care please consider placing 5 starts.  If you feel your care was anything less then 5 stars then please call my office directly and let me know how I could do better.

Have you seen Dr. Katz?

Compare Dr. Katz

• Bariatric Surgery

Why It Matters: Dr. Katz's Board Certifications

• General Surgery

Dr. Katz says..

I have special expertise in bariatric surgery.  Having performed more than 1300 bariatric surgeries in the past 10 years, I have developed the necessary expertise to provide safe care for the patient requiring bariatric surgery.  Majority of the procedures are being done in a minimally invasive manner using the DaVinci Robotic platform.

I also specialize in the treatment of hernias, specifically Hiatal Hernias and Groin Hernia and Incisional Hernias.  Utilizing the latest technology including the DaVinci robotic platform, I am able to provide a more precise approach to repairing these complex hernias.

I have been placing Peritoneal Dialysis Catheters for the last couple of years and am able to communicate directly with your nephrologist about maximizing your dialysis needs.

This information was supplied by or on behalf of the provider.
  • Achalasia
  • Gallstones
  • Hernia
  • Hiatal Hernia

Dr. Katz says..

My partner and I have special interest in the use of robotic technology for all forms of intraabdominal surgeries and specifically bariatric surgery.  While no studies have shown the superiority of robotic surgery over traditional laparoscopic surgery, the robot allows me to offer more precise surgery and manipulation of my instruments.  It should be known that at times for patient safety, a surgeon may have to switch to laparoscopic or open surgery.

My expertise is focused around minimally invasive surgery and more specifically Robotic surgery.  I started a robotic program at my previous hospital and was named the Director of Robotic Surgery at Crozer Chester Medical Center.

I have worked closely with my kidney specialists and for the last few years I have been placing minimally invasive Peritoneal Dialysis Catheters in patients who choose this option over traditional hemodialysis.

This information was supplied by or on behalf of the provider.
  • Appendectomy, Laparoscopic
  • Bariatric Surgery (Weight Loss Surgery)
  • da Vinci® Robotic Surgery
  • Sleeve Gastrectomy
  • Splenectomy and Splenorrhaphy
  • Stomach Surgery
  • Umbilical or Ventral Hernia Repair, Laparoscopic

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Pennsylvania.

New York University School Of Medicine

N Shore Lij Syosset Hospital

Completed in 2003

University Of Rochester

Graduated in 1992

• Lowest Preventable Adverse Outcomes in United States per Blue Cross Blue Shield and Blue Health Intelligence, 02/01/2012
    • ASMBS Center of Excellence for Bariatric Surgery, 3/2012
    • Blue Cross Blue Shield Center of Distinction in Bariatric Surgery, 2010

Dr. Katz has no media or publications listed.

• Russian

Memberships & Affiliations

Dr. Katz does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Katz and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

×

Dr. Katz's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

• Specializes in Bariatric Surgery
  • Board certified in General Surgery
  • Malpractice claims in Pennsylvania not available
×

Why Does Experience Matter?

Patient Satisfaction Results for Dr. Katz

Overall Patient Satisfaction Score

Dr. Katz's Office & Staff

Ease of scheduling urgent appointments
Office environment, cleanliness, comfort, etc.
Staff friendliness and courteousness
Total wait time (waiting & exam rooms)
10 – 15 minutes

Experience with Dr. Katz

Level of trust in provider's decisions
How well provider explains medical condition(s)
How well provider listens and answers questions
Spends appropriate amount of time with patients

Dr. Katz says...

As a doctor and a surgeon, it is my responsibility to help guide your through the challenging health related issues that you may be facing.  I truly believe that this is a team approach and we will be helping each other to address the necessary problems.  I work very hard to communicate with you in a timely and straight forward manner.  In return I will ask of you to keep me informed about any pertinent changes in your health so that I can make the most timely decisions.

I am currently working at Reading Hospital in Pennsylvania where my partner and I have one of the largest experiences in utilization of the robotic technology for bariatric and intraabdominal surgery in the Northeast

While working at Crozer Chester Medical Center, I helped introduce Robotic General and Bariatric Surgery and was appointed the director of Robotic Surgery.  This technology allows me to deliver a more precise form of surgical intervention.  While not all patients may be candidates for this minimally invasive approach, I will take the time to get to know you and your medical and surgical history so that I can tailor your treatment to your specific needs.

Working closely with my colleagues, my nurses and the hospital administrators, we were able to accomplish the lowest adverse events in United States in Bariatric Surgery according to Blue Health Intelligence, a subsidiary of Blue Cross and Blue Shield.  You can rest assured that all necessary actions will be taken to help reduce the risk of any complications that are known to occur with the respective surgical intervention.

Dr. Katz's Care Philosophy

Patient safety, clear communication and mutual respect provide the best outcomes in medicine.