Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism  |
Male
Dr. Leon Igel, MD
Leon I. Igel, MD, FACP is an Assistant Professor of Clinical Medicine at Weill Cornell Medical College, and an Attending Endocrinologist at New York Presbyterian Hospital-Weill Cornell Medical Center. Dr. Igel specializes in the care of patients with obesity and a broad spectrum of endocrine conditions. Dr. Igel's primary areas of expertise include: Obesity/weight loss, post-bariatric surgery care, diabetes mellitus, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), and disorders of the bone (osteopenia/osteoporosis) and thyroid (hypothyroidism/hyperthyroidism). Dr. Igel was born and raised in New York City. For high school he attended Trinity School in Manhattan. He then graduated with honors from Tufts University, and subsequently spent 2 years at Harvard University in the Health Careers Program, ultimately receiving a diploma in Premedical Studies. During medical school training at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine, he gained extensive clinical and research experience working closely with world-renowned obesity expert Dr. Louis Aronne, who has served as his mentor since this time. Dr. Igel and Dr. Aronne now work together at the Comprehensive Weight Control Center. Dr. Igel graduated from the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in 2010 with an M.D. degree with special distinction in Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism. He completed his Internal Medicine residency at New York Presbyterian-Weill Cornell Medical Center in 2013, where he served as ambulatory chief resident. In 2015, he completed a combined Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism fellowship at New York Presbyterian-Weill Cornell Medical Center, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, and the Hospital for Special Surgery. Dr. Igel is board certified in Internal Medicine, Obesity Medicine, and Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism.

1165 York Ave Fl 1

New York, NY 10065

• Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts
  • Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield
  • Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield
  • Oxford Health Plans

Learn about Dr. Igel

I believe that effective medical care requires a comprehensive patient evaluation in a comfortable and friendly environment. I take the time to listen to my patients, making sure their needs are met and their concerns are addressed. I always try to explain medical complexities in understandable terms, and I work hard to ensure the best possible results. I am surrounded by staff and colleagues who share the same commitment. I'm excited to be part of a department that not only delivers excellent care, but also contributes to advances in endocrinology, diabetes and metabolism.

Dr. Igel's Experience

Dr. Igel's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism

• Thyroid Cancer
  • Thyroid Disease
  • Thyroiditis
  • Vitamin D Deficiency

No malpractice history found for New York.

• Harvard University
    Internship Hospital | Completed
  • New York Presbyterian Hosp Cornell
  • New York Presbyterian Hosp Cornell Univ
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed

Dr. Igel has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Igel does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Igel and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Igel's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Igel to family and friends
Dr. Igel's Performance
New York, NY |
All my life I have struggled to loose and keep weight off. Dr. Igel is the first doctor who has been able to give me practical and sustainable strategies and I have now lost nearly 40 lbs. There are no silver bullets and each person is different but Dr Igel's advice was excellent and effective.
in Brooklyn, NY |
I've been a type 1 diabetic for 16 years he is the only doctor that actually helped me loss weight and control my sugar hes is the best Endocrinologist
Elizabeth, NJ |
I saw Dr. Igel today for the first time. I was SUPER IMPRESSED! He was VERY thorough, listened and explained everything. He even showed me pictures explaining what was going on in my body. For a change I didn't feel rushed. Towards the end of my appointment he asked me if I understood everything that was mentioned. Wish I would have seen him sooner. Soooo happy I went there for a second opinion. He picked up on things that my previous doctor never did!
in New York, NY |
Took a while to get an appointment but it was worth it! Dr. Igel is a great doctor... some doctors you know care about you and Dr. Igel is one of them.
in New York, NY |
Dr. Igel is the best doctor I have ever worked with! I initially went to his office for weight loss, but after mentioning to him my other issues/concerns, he referred me to great doctors in those respective areas AND followed up with me about those issues a few weeks later! I am already down 45lbs thanks to him and his wonderful staff, and my other problems are also being treated now too! I honestly owe him a huge debt for improving my quality of life! Thank you!!!
New York, NY |
I've never written a review for a doctor, but I felt compelled to because of the great experience I've had. My dad started seeing Dr. Igel and was so successful in his weight loss that he convinced both me and my mother to see him as well. All three of us have had had great results. He doesn't even take my insurance but I pay out of pocket because he's the best. Friendly, professional staff, and Dr. Igel makes each visit very comfortable especially in how explains everything in a relatable way.
New York, NY |
I met with Dr. Igel for my diabetic neuropathy. He is very knowledgeable and he took the time to explain the condition as well as various treatment options to me. He is a great and caring doctor, and I highly recommend Dr. Igel. It’s hard to find quality doctors these days, and he really is a great one!
in East Setauket, NY |
I was struggling with weight control and at one point realized that I had gained an additional 40 lbs. Dr Igel was recommended and at out initial meeting he put me at ease and spent a great deal of time getting to know me and the issues I was facing. He took more tests than I expected and was soon able to understand many of the reasons for my recent weight gain. Dr Igel has and will always be a pleasure to deal with and with his help I've lost the unwanted weight and have been much happier!
in New York, NY |
I am recommending Dr. Igel to family and friends! He is very attentive to details and has diagnosed conditions that other physicians have missed. His diagnostic skills are superior compared to other physicians I have worked with. I don't feel rushed during our appointments. In addition, his entire staff is cordial and efficient. Definitely I give him 5 stars.
Have you seen Dr. Leon Igel, MD?
Are you Dr. Igel?

See our Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism Specialist at NewYork-Presbyterian/Lawrence Hospital

Visit Dr. Igel