Dr. Leena Mathew, MD

• Group Health Cooperative
  • Health Net
  • HealthFirst

Learn about Dr. Mathew

We are committed to delivering the best care and an exceptional patient experience. We are devoted to providing services that are patient-centered and compassionate, and care for you as a person.

Personal Bio

Leena Mathew received an MD from Tirunelveli Medical College, India, in 1995 at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center, Dr. Mathew completed an internship in the Department of Surgery, followed by a residency in anesthesiology and a fellowship in pain medicine.

Dr. Mathew joined the faculty of the Department of Anesthesiology, Division of Pain Medicine, at Columbia University Medical Center in August 2003. An associate professor of anesthesiology at CUMC, she is program director for the pain medicine fellowship. She practices all aspects of acute and chronic pain medicine, with a special interest in interventional pain medicine in the treatment of cancer and chronic pain, including neurolytic procedures, Botox, ultrasound-guided peripheral nerve blockade, radiofrequency, and cryoablation, as well as implantable therapies. She is also interested in developing comprehensive treatment models for patients with pelvic pain and headaches.

Dr. Mathew is a member of the liver transplantation anesthesia team. She is also certified in medical acupuncture.

Dr. Mathew's Experience

Dr. Mathew's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Anesthesiology

• Cancer Pain Management
  • Chronic Pain Management
  • Cryoablation
  • Regional Anesthesia

No malpractice history found for New York.

• Tirunelveli Med Coll Hosp
    Medical School | Graduated 1994
  • New York Presbyterian Hosp Columbia Univ Medical Ctr
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2002
  • New York Presbyterian Hosp Columbia Univ Medical Ctr
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2003

Dr. Mathew has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Mathew does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Mathew and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

Dr. Mathew's Reviews

Help millions of people find the right doctor. Share your experience today!
Likelihood of recommending Dr. Mathew to family and friends
4.3
Dr. Mathew's Performance
New York, NY |
I have had several appointments with her in the past few years. She helped me tremendously when I had elbow issues as well as other connective tissue problems. I owe getting my life to her and recommend her as a fantastic doctor/ person to everyone.
in New York, NY |
I have had chronic back pain for over 10 years. Nothing had given me relief until I saw Dr. Mathew. After only 1 acupuncture session, I knew I finally found something to relieve my pain. Dr. Mathew is so kind and caring in her treatment. Most doctors make you wait forever in the waiting room and then you are lucky if they spend 2 minutes with you. Her office staff always gets me right into the treatment room, and she spends as much time with me as I need!
excellent care provider for me. I can trust her opinions and she has helped me out for many years
wonderful experience, great help
Orlando, FL |
Dr. Mathew has treated my CRPS for almost a year. I travel from FL, usually combining pain management visits with neurologist visits. Her staff is accommodating and sympathetic with scheduling. On my first visit, she listened to what was/was not working with my medications and made adjustments and suggestions. She tailored treatments/procedures specific to my condition within my body. She is compassionate with a soothing bedside manner. Dr. Mathew and her staff are restoring my hope.
After 5 years of daily debilitating pain and endless tests/doctors, I found my way to Dr Mathew. She was highly knowledgeable and always gave her honest opinion; and about 6 months and 3 nerve blocks later, the pain was gone -- I am now nearly 2 years completely pain free! Dr Mathew was always very approachable, easy to talk to, would explain everything, and I never felt rushed. I was easily fit into the schedule, office was clean, and staff was always nice. Highly recommend!
New York, NY |
I recommend Dr. Mathew to everyone. She is very patient and VERY effective and her focus is always on restoration of function. She spends time to really listen and looks at my problems holistically. Between the injections and acupuncture that she has done for me, i have been able to get back on my feet and back to work and am very pleased with her care.
New York |
Very unhelpful . After waiting a month and a half to see her in pain she prescribes me the same medication I was already taking . I insisted to her that my body was immune to this medication if she could give me something else and she says no . She then says if I want I could get a second opinion. I could understand if she worked with me at least once or twice and referred me else where but no my first time seeing her . then she refers surgery with no referral doctor to go to.
in nanuet, ny |
Wonderful and caring
in New York, NY |
Dr mathew was excellent. I have been seeing her for more than 10 years at this point and really benefitted from her superb care.
Yes she's not a Dr that sit and listen to her patients she comes in say I look at your paper work you doing better she never examined me or listened to any changes that I was having She send me back to work and before a month I was out I wouldn't recommend her to ANYONE
Have you seen Dr. Leena Mathew, MD?
Are you Dr. Mathew?

• Wellcare of Georgia
  • Worker's Compensation
    Worker's Compensation WC

Hospitals where Dr. Mathew has admitting priveleges

More Anesthesiology Specialists like Dr. Mathew at ColumbiaDoctors Columbus Circle

Dr. Michael Weinberger, MD