Orthopedic Surgery  |
Dr. Lee Rubin, MD
Dr. Rubin is a board-certified, fellowship-trained Orthopaedic Surgeon. His surgical practice is entirely focused on the care of Hip and Knee Disorders, including joint preservation techniques, partial and total joint replacements, revisions, and peri-prosthetic fractures, failures, and infections. In 2016, Dr. Rubin successfully authored, edited, and published the World's First Comprehensive Text on Anterior Hip Surgery, entitled "The Direct Anterior Approach To Hip Reconstruction," which is now the definitive reference for surgeons around the world who are learning and performing hip surgery using the minimally invasive direct anterior approach technique. Dr. Rubin is a Fellow of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery (AAOS), a Fellow of the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons (AAHKS) an active member of the Orthopaedic Research Society (ORS), and is a Six-Time Faculty Member of the International Congress for Joint Reconstruction (ICJR). On January 1, 2017, Dr. Rubin joined the Clinical Faculty of Yale University's Department of Orthopaedics & Rehabilitation, where he serves as both the Co-Chief of the Adult Reconstruction Division and the Chief of the Yale-New Haven Hospital (YNHH) Center For Musculoskeletal Care (CMC) Total Joint Replacement Program. In these roles, he will educate medical students, residents, and fellows, coordinate the clinical care program for patients undergoing total joint surgery at YNHH, provide quality improvement and outcomes assessment, and streamline the rehabilitation process for patients and their families. Originally from New Jersey, Dr. Rubin matriculated as an undergraduate Presidential Scholar at Brandeis University and graduated Cum Laude in 2000. He then graduated with Alpha Omega Alpha distinction from the Tufts University School of Medicine in 2004. Dr. Rubin completed his Orthopaedic training at Yale University in 2009, followed by an Adult Reconstruction (Total Joint Replacement) Fellowship in 2010, focused on the Direct Anterior Approach with Dr. Kristaps J. Keggi and the Keggi Orthopaedic Foundation at the Waterbury Hospital in Connecticut. Following his surgical training and early practice with Dr. Keggi, Dr. Rubin spent five years in practice with University Orthopedics, Inc. and Lifespan, while serving as an Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery on the Faculty of the Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University in Providence, Rhode Island. In this role from 2011 to 2016, he was actively engaged in numerous clinical research projects through The Miriam Hospital's Total Joint Center, publishing numerous scientific posters, papers, and book chapters. At Age 35 In 2013, Dr. Rubin was selected and awarded as one of the "Forty Under 40" by the Providence Business News, becoming the first Orthopaedic Surgeon to win this honor in Rhode Island. In 2013, he was elected to serve on the Executive Committee of the Rhode Island Orthopaedic Society (RIOS), and was invited to serve on the Board of the Yale Orthopaedic Association in 2016. He serves as an editorial board member and reviewer for a number of prestigious orthopaedic journals, is actively involved with the Arthritis Foundation, and was the Rhode Island Arthritis Foundation Chapter's "Medical Honoree" at the Providence Walk to Cure Arthritis event in 2015. He lives with his wife and two children.

800 Howard Ave Fl 1

New Haven, CT 06519

• Harvard Pilgrim Health Care
  • Tufts Health Plan
  • Worker's Compensation

Learn about Dr. Rubin

See how frequently Dr. Rubin performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Osteoarthritis of Hip and Thigh
Osteoarthritis of Hip
Osteoarthritis

Dr. Rubin's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

This content was provided by Dr. Rubin "As an orthopaedic hip and knee joint replacement specialist, I strive to provide the highest quality of care to patients with Hip and Knee Arthritis. I am dedicated to applying the most current medical knowledge and surgical evidence to help inform and educate my patients as well as their families. I am proudly affiliated with Yale-New Haven Hospital, based primarily at the YNHH St. Raphael's Campus in New Haven, CT,  and also providing surgical care at the YNHH Westerly Hospital Campus in Rhode Island. Together with the nurses, therapists, and staff at these facilities, I provide comprehensive care for total joint replacement patients, while remaining focused on the safety and outcomes of these procedures. "

• Joint Replacement & Reconstruction Orthopedics
  • Orthopedic Hip Surgery
  • Orthopedic Knee Surgery

Accredited by: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery*

• Baker’s Cyst
  • Complications of Joint Prosthesis
  • Enthesopathy of Knee (incl. Bursitis of Knee)
  • Femur Fracture
  • Knee Dislocation
  • Knee Fracture
  • Knee Injuries
  • Knee Sprain
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Non-Unions and Malunions of Fractures

• Total Hip Replacement
  • Total Knee Replacement
  • Total Knee Replacement Revision
  • Viscosupplementation With Hyaluronate

No malpractice history found for Connecticut.

• Brandeis University
  • Yale University & Yale-New Haven Hospital
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2009
  • Keggi Orthopaedic Foundation
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2010

Dr. Rubin has no media or publications listed.

• International Congress for Joint Reconstruction, Member

Dr. Rubin's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Rubin to family and friends
Dr. Rubin Says:

I am deeply thankful for the feedback shared by my patients about their experiences regarding my care.

Dr. Rubin's Performance
in East Haven, CT |
I thank God for giving me Dr Rubin as my ortho md, he is very professional and courteous to me as his patient. I had knee problem, he explained to me what happened to it. Gave me enough time for my knee to heal before going back to work and he follow up his patients condition.
in North Kingstown, RI |
I suffered needlessly for several years over concerns of getting my hip replaced, potential problems and recovery time. Wow, did Dr. Rubin show me how unnecessary my years of pain was. The surgery was so easy. In recovery I could tell I was already feeling better. I was back to work in 4 weeks, and just over two months since the surgery, I am pain free and ecstatic that I can walk, sit, drive and sleep without pain. Thank you Dr.Rubin! BEST. SURGEON. EVER!
in Pawtucket, RI |
On Friday, October 21, 2016, Dr. Lee Rubin replaced my left hip via the Anterior Approach at Miriam Hospital....The procedure is less invasive than the traditional Posterior Approach.......The incision is 4 inches and he cuts through no muscle, tissue or tendons...PT had me walking with a walker 8 hours after surgery and allowed to put 100% weight on the leg with the new hip.....Discharged Sunday, October 23rd in time to watch the Pats Game.......Thanks again Dr. Rubin........U R the Best !!!!!!
Bristol |
Dr. Lee Rubin is a very professional doctor that I was fortunate to have as my doctor. The hip replacement was a success thanks to Dr. Rubin.
in Coventry, RI |
Dr. Rubin is amazing. I had been in pain and limped around for over 4 years with doctors telling me it was only arthritis and keep moving. Found Dr. Rubin and Xrays confirmed I needed both hips replaced. . Rubin performance was no short of miraculous! I have the full movement, no pain, and the quality of my life has improved dramatically. His approach had me moving within hours of surgery and back to work in 4 weeks.
in West Greenwich, RI |
Thanks to Dr. Rubin, I'm like a new woman! The pain is gone and I have my life back. I had total confidence in Dr. Rubin. If you are considering Dr. Rubin for hip replacement, go no further. You have picked the right doctor!
in Barrington, RI |
I would greatly recommend Dr. Rubin for any operation concerning his expertise in orthopedics. I had a partial knee replacement on May 9, 2016 and felt very confident in Dr. Rubin ,he explained the procedure very carefully and after the operation he informed my wife of all that he had done. He was very professional and polite. Stephen Crawford
in East Greenwich, RI |
I was very nervous about having knee surgery. But Dr. Rubin made me feel comfortable about the whole thing. I'm very glad that I had it done and that Dr. Rubin was my doctor.
in North Scituate, RI |
Dr. Rubin was excellent at explaining the surgical procedure he was going to perform. He answered all of my questions without rushing through his explanations. I was able to call his office and get answers to any further questions prior to my surgery. Dr. Rubin has all of his total hip replacement patients attend a 4 hour tutorial two weeks prior to surgery. After the tutorial there was a question and answer period. The whole experience was a good one. I highly recommend Dr. Rubin.
in Attleboro MA |
Dr Rubin is a no nonsense direct tell it like it is surgeon. He did an exceptional job replacing my hip that was full of arthritis due to Lyme disease. After 4 years of excruciating pain I am walking at least a mile a day I will need two knee replacements also and will be going back to see Dr Rubin. His office staff is caring and pleasant and always takes time with you
in Johnston, RI |
dr.rubin,is by far a total professional,,excellent bedside manner,,i received total professional medical and followup service,,i would recommenend him to anyone who needs a hip or knee surgery,,,,,,,
in North Scituate, RI |
I received excellent care from DR Rubin and his staff. I would highly recommend him for anyone having surgery.
in cumberland, ri |
He as the utmost care and concern for his patients. I have not had my hip replacement yet, 26 days and counting and I already visualize my trip up MT. KAHTADHIN.
in Warwick, RI |
Although Dr. Rubin feels his surgical skills are beyond reproach, he is unable to help if the outcome is not textbook perfect. Total knee replaced with debilitating pain still after 1 year. Another surgery done to see if he could find the cause. Again,No relief from pain. 6 months later,after being told he did a perfect job, he said he could do no more. Now for 6 months, I have been seeing another MD that is at least TRYING several non surgical interventions. I would not recommend him!
in Rhode Island |
Had both knees replaced by Dr Rubin.
Have you seen Dr. Lee Rubin, MD?
Are you Dr. Rubin?