Dr. Lawrence Shin, MD

Dr. Lawrence Shin, MD

Orthopedic Spine Surgery  |
MEMBERSHIPS AMERICAN ACADEMY OF ORTHOPAEDIC SURGEONS NORTH AMERICAN SPINE SOCIETY SIMMONS SURGICAL SOCIETY AMERICAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION CLINICAL INSTRUCTOR - MEDTRONIC SPINE BALLOON KYPHOPLASTY FOR VERTEBRAL COMPRESSION FRACTURE MINIMALLY INVASIVE OBLIQUE LATERAL INTERBODY FUSION MINIMALLY INVASIVE MIDLINE INTERBODY LUMBAR FUSION COMMUNITY WOODS MEMORIAL PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, elder, confirmation leader, praise band bassist ST MARTINS EPISCOPAL DAY SCHOOL, board of directors STEPHEN'S MINISTRY, care giver PASADENA SOCCER CLUB, soccer coach

8894 Stanford Blvd Ste 104

Columbia, MD 21045

• Capital Blue Cross
  • CareFirst Blue Cross Blue Shield

Learn about Dr. Shin

See how frequently Dr. Shin performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Resection or Ablation of Bone Tumor, Partial or Complete Resection of Bone, Debridement of Bone
Spondylolisthesis
Intervertebral Disc Disease

Dr. Shin's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

This content was provided by Dr. Shin "When I am entrusted to provide care for my patients, it is an intimate experience. My patients share personal details regarding how their spine limits their relationships, they open up about their doubts and fears, and they express their hopes and expectations about restoring their life. Each story is unique, and the many options for treatment are chosen based on each person's situation.

If a patient chooses to have an operation, then an additional office appointment is made with the patient and family a few days before surgery to answer all questions in detail. The family is engaged in order for them to learn how they be most helpful. If hospitalization is required, then we provide a private hospital room with an extra bed for a family member to stay overnight. I visit with each patient once or twice a day while in the hospital, and all of my patients have access to my cell phone. It is an honor to share my patients' path towards recovery."

• Orthopedic Spine Surgery

Dr. Shin does not have any board certifications listed.

• Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis
  • Compression Fracture
  • Degenerative Scoliosis
  • Degenerative Spine Disorders
  • Kyphosis
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Lordosis

• Knee Surgery
  • Knee and Leg Fracture and Dislocation Treatment
  • Knee and Lower Leg Fracture Treatment, Closed
  • Kyphoplasty, Percutaneous
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery
  • Spinal Reconstructive Surgery for Deformities
  • Spine Fracture Treatment
  • Synovial Biopsy
  • Trigger Finger Release

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Maryland.

• Northwestern University
  • UCLA Med Center
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1991
  • SUNY / Buffalo General Hospital
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1992

Dr. Shin has no awards or honors listed.

Dr. Shin has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Shin does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Shin and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Shin's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Shin to family and friends
3.9
Dr. Shin's Performance
in Laurel |
I have been seeing Dr. Shin for the last 3 years. While my pain condition continues to be treated I have regained a significant amount of function in my leg which had neuropathy following a previous spinal surgery.
in Columbia, MD |
Excellent care, great job, painless
in Columbia, MD |
Explained to me about pain and why it was hurting. Very nice & informative.
in Columbia, MD |
I have been under Dr. Shins care for over 10 years and have always felt valued and have been provided with excellent care.
Easy, Painless injection.
in Sykesville, MD |
I saw Dr Shin for neck pain from an auto accident. He sent me for an MRI, then surgery was scheduled 10 days later. I was up and walking pain free the same day, Went home the next day. It's been 5 days now and I have no pain and the problem is resolved. I wished I had done this 2 years ago instead of trying conventional treatments. I highly recommend Dr. Shin
Dr. Shin performed surgery on my neck 6 months ago and I must say that he is a professional in every sense of the word. He and his staff were there to meet my every need from the time I had surgery to now. During my visits he sat with me, took the time to explain everything aboout my procedure and the healing process and was able to answer any questions that I had. As a result of Dr. Shin's care I am feeling great!
in Elkridge. MD |
My mother is 84 years old and wears oxygen. She has a collapsing severe curve on her back and everyone has been telling her that she is too weak to have surgery. Dr Shin found a pinched nerve on her MRI and then she had a cortisone injection targeting that one nerve. After two injections, her pain went away for a year, and now its time for another injection. We have been so happy with her care. The injections allowed her to be active, going to church, out to the movies, and to the grocery.
in West Friendship, MD |
Very caring, listened to everything I had to say. He did spinal fusion on my back and I now have NO PAIN! Would highly recommend him and his office
in Clarksville, MD |
I was very satisfied with the treatment I received from Dr. Shin. He was very personable and showed great knowledge and problem-solving skills. Over the last few years, I had already seen two other doctors for my back pain. They both told me that my MRI was normal. Dr. Shin examined my hip and figured out that my pain was coming from my sacro-iliac joint. After 2 cortisone injections and physical therapy, I am now feeling good. Thank you! Valerie H
Crownsville, MD |
He is my hero. Likely to recommend him to anyone. Very pleased with my treatment.
Columbia, MD |
Very professional, extremely thorough, understands what the patient is going through and what they want to achieve after. He explains the details of surgery in layman's terms. We just love him.
Columbia, MD |
My brother injured his back while cleaning his garage. He knew something was wrong immediately so we called a couple of the spine doctors in the area. We were in touch with Dr. Shin's office right away and his staff was able to get an appointment that same week. Dr. Shin was easy going, gave us his undivided attention and explained the problem in details. I was very much impressed by his efficiency, knowledge and professionalism. We decided on the best treatment for him and had great results.
Columbia, MD |
I would highly recommend Dr. Shin to my family and friends. I work full time and also take care of my my family. I injured my back while on vacation and was in a lot of pain. I didn't have time to be down and out. A friend recommended that I see Dr. Shin. I made an appointment and got in right away. He took his time and explained everything thoroughly to me and my husband. I left his office feeling very relieved. In just a short few days I was feeling better and back to my normal routine.
Columbia, MD |
I wanted to leave a quick note following my visit with Dr. Shin. I saw Dr. Shin recently after I hurt my back cleaning. Turns out I had a small ruptured disc in my lower back. I am a wife, mother of 2, work full time, and spend my life at gymnastics and the baseball field. Who has time for back pain. Dr. Shin listened to my concerns and took the time to explain my diagnosis and treatment options with me. He truly cared about me as a patient and could relate with my hectic life.
in Canton, MD |
He listens!!! Very caring and thorough.
in Silver Spring, MD |
Dr. Shin is an excellent surgeon. He performed a complex spine surgery, and I have since returned to a normal pain-free life. He is a caring physician who has a truly kind bedside manner. My office visits were prompt, and the staff was very courteous. Dr. Shin took the time to explain everything, and he patiently answered all of my questions. I have been blessed to have Dr. Shin as my physician, and I have recommended him to my family and friends. Dr. M Choi
in Columbia, MD |
After I helped my friend move into a new apartment, I woke up the next morning with severe pain in my back that shooting into my left foot. Dr. Shin ordered an MRI that showed a ruptured disc at L4-5 that was pinching my sciatic nerve. After trying medications, therapy, and a cortisone injection it was not getting any better, so Dr Shin recommended a microdiscectomy. I woke up from surgery and all of the pain in my leg was gone. I went home the same day and was back in school the next week!
in Ellicott City, MD |
Dr. Shin is a very good doctor and has taken care of both of my parents and my brother too!
Baltimore |
Dr. Shin switched locations in between my visits and did not notify me. I ended up spending $200 for blood tests for no reason, had to call my insurance company and other doctors in the area multiple times to get it addressed because his staff would not return my voicemails. Completely unprofessional.
Towson, MD |
horrible doctor... I had a fall and he suggested surgery ... said I had a fractured spine. The bone scan showed no damage. Charged me $571.00 for nothing and made me wait over 1.5 hours to be seen . My back was better a week later.
Severna Park, MD |
RUN, he has a God-Like complex.
in Millersville, MD |
Last 2 visits were a 90min wait and a 2hr wait, then spent less than 5mins in the office. No interest in actually fixing or addressing current issues. "Just tough your pain out and take some pills" offered no direct solution to multiple spine issues. I had C3-4 surgery done by him, surgery went well. Left voicemails with no return call. Office staff is never happy because he is consistently late, ALWAYS. Not sure how he continues to practice medicine. I would not recommend him to anyone.
Baltimore, MD |
2-3 hour office waits and unpleasant office staff. Dr shin is rude and arrogant. He didn't explain my surgery well and argued with me when it didn't work, later openly admitting he did the wrong surgery for what I really needed. Absolutely horrible experience. I would give 0 star rating if that was an option!
in Columbia, MD |
With over a two hour wait time, the entire visit took 3 hours (no exaggeration). In addition, I called with a follow up question about the prescription I was given and a conflict with an existing medication and never received a return call. Why was I prescribed a medication with a clear conflict, particularly when I had included all my current medication in their questionnaire? I will be looking for a different doctor.
Have you seen Dr. Lawrence Shin, MD?
Are you Dr. Shin?