Dr. Laurence Sloss, MD

Dr. Laurence Sloss, MD

Cardiology | Male

I was interested in science from an early age, with my brother accompanying our father on geology field trips with his students from Northwestern University.

I had an extensive home chemistry laboratory and an active interest in electronics and went to Caltech with the expectation of being a "hard" scientist. I became progressively more interested in biology and was nearly seduced by a summer marine biology course into a life as a marine biologist, but felt somehow that moving away from pure science and toward the human, personal and particular nature of life as I experienced it would be more fulfilling to all of the components of that life, and more challenging to me as one who was confident in technical knowledge and skills but saw room to grow as a person and serve as a citizen in real time, and that medicine was the place of confluence of what I had been and was and what I might and would be.

I was an undergraduate at the California Institute of Technology (Caltech), graduating in 1961 with a bachelor of science in biology. My original major was chemistry, switching to biology in my sophomore year. I attended Stanford Medical School in their new five year program, but rather than using the extra time to develop a laboratory science concentration I spent my elective time largely in cardiology and cardiovascular surgery, continuing those interests and concentrations in my elective time while an intern and resident at MGH. While at Stanford and continuing at MGH I became particularly interested in adults with congenital heart disease, and to round out my education in congenital cardiology I took an additional year of fellowship in pediatric cardiology at Boston Children's Hospital. I then joined the faculty and began to develop a clinical program emphasizing my interest in adults with congenital heart disease, a project that subsequently developed into the BACH adult congenital heart disease program. I also spent considerable time in the cardiac pathology service and during the sabbatical of Prof.Van Praagh ran the congenital cardiac pathology program and conferences. While continuing my clinic at Children's I spent four years as director of the Heart Station cardiac noninvasive laboratory at Peter Bent Brigham Hospital, stepping back in 1978 to associate director while opening my private practice in cardiovascular disease with emphasis on noninvasive diagnosis and adults with congenital heart disease, continuing that practice to the present day as well as remaining an active part-time member of the Children's Hospital cardiology department.

Dr. Sloss' Experience

See how Dr. Sloss' experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Sloss

Dr. Sloss accepts 15 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 7 hospitals where Dr. Sloss has admitting privileges.

Dr. Sloss' Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Sloss to family and friends
Dr. Sloss' Performance
in Newburyport |
Dr. Sloss has been my cardiac Dr. For over 20 years! He is professional, yet personable and never forgets that your a person with pain, fears and feelings. Having open heart surgery is a major life changing experience and with him by my side, I felt safe, assured and in competent hands. DW
in Massachusetts |
Besides being a smart-as-a-whip world-class cardiologist and a top-notch raconteur, Dr. Sloss is also a genuinely good guy whom I always look forward to seeing.
in Auburn, MA |
Dr Sloss is a very caring and wonderful doctor. When I had my surgery, one of the nurses told me that if she ever had heart problems, she would go to Dr. Sloss. I thought that was the highest compliment to be paid to him. I have been going to Dr. Sloss for about 10 years and I won't change.
Have you seen Dr. Laurence Sloss, MD?
Are you Dr. Sloss?

Compare Dr. Sloss

Dr. Sloss says...

Dr. Sloss' Care Philosophy

Dr. Sloss' experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Cardiology
  •  Board certified in Cardiovascular Disease and Internal Medicine

Dr. Sloss has no media or publications listed.

No malpractice history found for Massachusetts.

Why It Matters: Dr. Sloss' Board Certifications

• Cardiomegaly
  • Cardiomyopathy
  • Carotid Artery Disease
  • Chest Pain
  • Chronic Pulmonary Heart Diseases (incl. Pulmonary Hypertension)
  • Coarctation of the Aorta
  • Congenital Aortic Valve Disorders
  • Congenital Heart Defects
  • Congenital Heart Disease
  • Congenitally Corrected Transposition of the Great Arteries (CCTGA)
  • Congestive Heart Failure
  • Coronary Artery Disease (CAD)
  • Ebstein's Anomaly
  • Endocarditis
  • Heart Attack (Acute Myocardial Infarction)
  • Heart Disease

Completed in 1973

Completed in 1972

California Institute Of Technology

Graduated in 1961

Dr. Sloss does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Sloss and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Cardiology
  • Adult Congenital Heart Disease Cardiology

• Cardiac Catheterization (incl. Coronary Angiography)
  • Cardiac Electrophysiology
  • Cardiac Imaging
  • Cardiac MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) of Heart or Chest
  • Cardiac Myocardial Perfusion Imaging
  • Cardiovascular Stress Test
  • Cardioversion, Elective
  • Chest CT (incl. Heart and Lungs)
  • Coronary Angioplasty, Atherectomy and Stent