Orthopedic Spine Surgery  |
Dr. Laurence Mermelstein, MD
Dr. Mermelstein is Board Certified Orthopaedic Surgeon with additional Fellowship training and extensive experience in pediatric and adult deformities, sports-related spinal injuries, and degenerative and traumatic conditions of the neck and back. He is recognized as one of the leading experts in managing the care and treatment of the pediatric scoliosis patient and is an active member of the premier Scoliosis Research Society. As the first surgeon on Long Island to perform the Posterolateral Endoscopic Discectomy procedure, he continues to lead the field in laser surgery and minimally-invasive techniques, which reduce pain and the risk of infection while also making recovery quicker. He has pioneered new intra-operative neurophysiological monitoring procedures to improve surgical safety. His expertise includes complex reconstructive spine surgery and disc arthroplasty (disc replacement). Highly respected in the field of spine, he has lectured extensively at National and international meetings regarding spinal biomechanics and instrumentation. Dr. Mermelstein's passion for spine care is reflected in his willingness to share his knowledge and expertise by providing professional seminars and community lectures on spine health. Dr. Mermelstein's commitment to give "Back" is evident by his partnering with charitable organizations dedicated to improving the lives of children around the world, donating his time and skills to provide life altering surgery to improve the quality of their lives. Medical Degree: University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Internship/Residency Orthopaedic Surgery ResidentNew Haven, Connecticut Yale – New Haven Hospital Fellowships: Spinal Surgery Fellow: University of California Davis, California Professional Affiliations: Medical Society of the State of New York American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Section Chief of Spinal Surgery- Huntington Hospital, Huntington, New York

763 Larkfield Rd

Commack, NY 11725

• HIP Health Plan of New York
  • MagnaCare
  • Worker's Compensation

Learn about Dr. Mermelstein

A Comprehensive Approach to Treatment

At Long Island Spine Specialists, P.C., we know how debilitating back and neck disorders can be for our patients. We also know that when it comes to treating these conditions, finding the treatment option that best meets each patient's individual needs is perhaps the most important aspect to successfully alleviating or managing back and neck pain.

As a patient at Long Island Spine Specialists, P.C. you can be sure that your treatment plan reflects your specific needs and concerns and will be carried out by physicians and surgeons who are recognized leaders in the field. We work as a team to help you effectively manage your condition and improve your quality of life.

Dr. Mermelstein's Experience

Dr. Mermelstein's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Orthopedic Spine Surgery

• Cervical Spondylolisthesis
  • Coccygeal Pain
  • Degenerative Scoliosis
  • Degenerative Spondylolisthesis
  • Diffuse Idiopathic Skeletal Hyperostosis (DISH)
  • Gout
  • Lumbar Radiculopathy
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Lupus
  • Neck Pain
  • Neck Strain (incl. Whiplash Injury)
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Non-Unions and Malunions of Fractures

• Epidural Block, Facet Blocks
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Kyphoplasty
  • Kyphoplasty, Percutaneous
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Laminectomy
  • Spinal Reconstructive Surgery for Deformities
  • Spinal Tumor Surgery
  • X Stop® Interspinous Process Decompression System
  • XLIF® (eXtreme Lateral Interbody Fusion) Procedure

No malpractice history found for New York.

• The Johns Hopkins University
  • Yale New Haven Hospital
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1995
  • University Of California At Davis / School Of Medicine
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1996

Dr. Mermelstein has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Mermelstein does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Mermelstein and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Mermelstein's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Mermelstein to family and friends
4.4
Dr. Mermelstein's Performance
in Massapequa Park, NY |
My daughter has been seeing Dr. Mermelstein for 3 years and we are very pleased with his knowledge & expertise on scoliosis......she has had several spine doctors in the past & he has been the best!
in Holbrook, NY |
I have seen Dr Mermelstein for a consultation and I was so impressed with him and the way that he didn't push surgery upon and how we explored every other option and non operative care was the best route for me and I am feeling so much better. I appreciate his honesty and guiding me with a tailored treatment. I highly recommend him and his qualified staff.
in Holbrook, NY |
I had a kyphoplasty with Dr Mermelstein and he repaired my fractured spine and I am so happy with the results. It came out wonderfully. His bed side manner is like no other. He always takes the time to answer all of my questions and makes me feel so comfortable. The staff here is amazing and I highly recommend him.
in New Hyde Park, NY |
I felt the need to leave a review because I had seen multiple doctors for a lumbar herniated disc with onset of dropfoot. First off id like to Thank doctor Mermelstein for the successful surgery he performed on me. It was a nerve racking decision on having the surgery let alone who you were going to let cut your spine open. Amazing bedside manner, knowledgable, and well known in Huntington hospital. Im 9 weeks post op and feel great. Im getting better and better each day. 5 stars for this doctor
in Bronx, NY |
Dr Mermelstein is an amazing surgeon. He did my lumbar surgery and it relieved my severe sciatica pain that caused me to be in debilitating pain. I am thankful for his excellent surgical skills and getting me back on the path to maximum recovery and my life before pain. I highly recommend Dr Mermelstein and admire his patience bed side manner and deep compassion towards everyone he encounters.
in Kings Park, NY |
Dr. Mermelstein is a very thorough doctor and he took the time to listen to me. Nowadays the way things are for a doctor to take so much time with me to answer all of my questions and explain everything to me means a lot. His bed side manner is excellent and I highly recommend him.
in Stony Brook, NY |
Dr Mermelstein is a wonderful doctor. He gave me an answer that nobody else could give me. He always takes the time to answer all of my questions and is always honest with treatment options. The staff here is always so polite and kind. I highly recommend Dr Mermelstein.
Miller Place, NY |
Dr Mermelstein did my daughters spinal fusion surgery. Its now a year and a half later, I can say that he did a phenomenal job. She is doing so well. He made us feel very much at ease and is still very caring and concerned. I do recommend him wholeheartedly!
in Commack, NY |
I had lower back surgery with Dr Mermelstein he was so great in preparing me with my surgery he told me exactly what to expect exactly what was going to happen I woke up from the surgery without the debilitating pain in my leg Dr Mermelstein really saved my life I was in a lot of pain and now I'm back to my life before pain he took his time with me answered all of my questions he is the best. Huntington hospital was great the staff there was so caring. My family was confident that I was in goo
in East Northport, NY |
Dr. Mermelstein is very professional he cares about me truly and he listens to every question that I have and answers it perfectly. I highly recommend him my surgery is a success
in Nassau NY |
Dr. Mermelstein and the entire staff at Long Island Spine were fantastic. Dr. Mermelstein took plenty of time to exam me and provided me with all my health care options going forward. The staff & Dr. M were very informative, responsive and easy to deal with during the surgical process. I would recommend Dr. Mermelstein to anyone in need of spinal care and or surgery. -Discectomy Surgery Patient 2016
in Brentwood, NY |
My Lumbar fusion surgery with Dr. Mermelstein was 100% successful he exceeded my expectations and as always it is a very positive experience when I see him the staff is very professional I highly recommend him to anyone I am very pleased!!!
Have you seen Dr. Laurence Mermelstein, MD?
Are you Dr. Mermelstein?