Dr. Lance Wright, MD

Neurology | Male

Semmes-Murphey Clinic 6325 Humphreys Blvd Memphis, TN 38120 Get Directions
Dr. Lance Wright, MD
Lance J. Wright | Semmes Murphey Neurologic and Spine Institute Dr. Lance Jefferson Wright was born on February 5, 1960 in Odessa, TX. He grew up in Dallas and later Houston, TX. He attended Texas A&M University where he graduated in 1982, Summa Cum Laude with a Bachelor's of Science Degree in Zoology. He was admitted to the Alpha Phi Omega Honor Society and was elected to "Who's Who in American Colleges and Universities". Dr. Wright attended Medical School at the University of TX Health Science Center in Houston, graduating in 1986. He performed his internship at Charity Hospital in New Orleans and completed a neurology residency at the University of TX Southwestern Medical School in Dallas. A fellowship in epilepsy and neurophysiology followed in Dallas as well. Dr. Wright practiced neurology in Wilmington, NC for two years before joining the Semmes Murphey Clinic in 1993. He served in the US Navy Reserves attached to Fleet Hospital 21 where he attained the rank of Lieutenant Commander. He is an Assistant Clinical Professor at the University of TN School of Medicine. Dr. Wright is married to Evie Skoda Wright. He has two children, Johanna Claire and Kendall Paige, and two step-children, Helena Faith and Michael Paul. Professional Societies: TN Medical Society Shelby County Medical Society Extra Curricular Activities: Dr. Wright has been involved in martial arts since 1974 and holds a 6th Degree Black Belt in Taekwondo and a 3rd Degree Black Belt in Okinawa Kenpo Karate. He also trains in Aikido and has studied Kendo.

Dr. Wright's Experience

See how Dr. Wright's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Wright

Dr. Wright accepts 15 insurance carriers

Dr. Wright is now accepting new patients

Check out the quality of care at the 1 hospitals where Dr. Wright has admitting privileges.

Dr. Wright's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Wright to family and friends
3.4
Dr. Wright's Performance
Germantown, TN |
For anyone who feels Dr Wright is rude I would have to AGREE. He insulted me and called me a liar within 10 minutes of seeing him. Tried to force medicine on me that was not needed (including Botox). I was on a medicine that was working but instead of listening to the questions I had about my current meds he preceded to tell me that because I'm not a doctor my opinion about the medicine he wanted to take was stupid. His bedside manner is TERRIBLE!
Memphis, TN |
Dr. Wright is very textbook and seems to know his stuff, but his bedside manner leaves a lot to be desired. He was, quite frankly, rude. I have worked in medicine, and for surgeons all of my adult life, and if someone tells you they are scared, the doctor should reassure them. I work at UT as a standardized patient to train medical students, and he would have gotten very negative comments from me as far as actual compassion.
in Memphis, TN |
I love this doctor! I was suffering with chronic 24/7 migraines. I was misdiagnosed with Meneire's disease by an ENT's nurse practitioner. The ENT doctor himself, after reviewing my file, thought perhaps it was migraine and sent me to Dr. Wright. After about 15 minutes he immediately knew it was migraine, without a doubt. He put me on medication that has completely fixed the issue - this man saved my life! I cannot thank him enough.
Bridget W, thank you for leaving this detailed feedback about your experience with Dr. Lance Wright. We are so glad that you had a positive experience and are doing well!
in Memphis, TN |
For years, I struggled with headaches. I went to the ER with stroke like symptoms. They were preparing to give me meds for a stroke. Dr. Wright said it's not a stroke, it's a migraine. He finally diagnosed me with complicated migraines. Now that I know what it is that I suffer from, I am able to manage my healthcare. He has tirelessly over 10 years adjusted my medications to give me comfort. He has personally called the insurance company for approvals. The best neurologist in Memphis!
Erika S., thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback. We're so glad that Dr. Wright was able to help you and that you have found comfort!
in Memphis, TN |
Dr. Wright will keep you waiting, unfortunately, but if you want help and answers, it's worth the wait. I was mistakenly diagnosed with MS by another physician. Dr. Wright is great with complicated issues and encouraged me to not give up different treatments before we found one that worked. He will not jump to conclusions or blow you off. I avoided unnecessary surgery and control my pain and issues now instead of them controlling me.
E. S., thank you for leaving this detailed feedback about your experience with Dr. Wright. We appreciate the positive review on his behalf.
in Memphis, TN |
I see Dr. Wright for the treatment of migraines. Since I started seeing Dr. Wright the quality of my life has greatly improved. My headaches are less severe and less frequent. He and his staff are excellent.
Mary Mckinney, thank you for leaving this detailed feedback about your experience with Dr. Lance Wright. We are so glad to hear that he has helped youw ith your migraines!
in Oakland, TN |
After speaking with me during my visits he told me that I took too much of his time, 3 x's the amount the scheduled for me and now because of ME he was behind. He got up and left the room. Told me any further questions would need to be discussed in my next visit 4 months from now. Don't waste your time w/ a physician who has terrible bedside manner and doesn't listen to you. He was very condescending, rude and didn't look at the whole picture. Find anther doc who has compassion.
in Memphis |
He is very helpful. I felt like he really cares. Not a doctor just rushing to do his job. He is really trying help with the situation that I am going through
Thank you very much for sharing these comments, Joye. We are so glad that you had a positive experience with Dr. Wright!
in Germantown, TN |
I saw Dr. Wright for management of migraine with vertigo. He was the first doctor to go through my symptoms thoroughly and give me an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan. He explained current evidence-based treatment options and expected outcomes. I felt like he spent plenty of time with me, included my opinions/concerns in my treatment plan, and made it clear that he was available should I have any questions between visits. My migraines are gone and I feel great!
S, thank you for leaving this detailed feedback about your experience with Dr. Lance Wright. We're so glad to hear that your migraines are gone and that you are feeling better!
Have you seen Dr. Lance Wright, MD?

Compare Dr. Wright

Dr. Wright says...

Lance J. Wright | Semmes Murphey Neurologic and Spine Institute

Dr. Wright practiced neurology in Wilmington, NC for two years before joining the Semmes Murphey Clinic in 1993. He served in the US Navy Reserves attached to Fleet Hospital 21 where he attained the rank of Lieutenant Commander. He is an Assistant Clinical Professor at the University of TN School of Medicine.

Professional Societies:

• TN Medical Society
  • Shelby County Medical Society

Extra Curricular Activities:

Dr. Wright says...

Lance J. Wright | Semmes Murphey Neurologic and Spine InstituteDisorders & Treatments

• ADHD
  • Tourette Syndrome
  • Weakness

Additional Areas of Expertise

• Migraine Headaches
  • Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
  • Tremor
  • Parkinson's disease
  • Neuropathy
  • Seizures
  • Spasticity
  • Dementia

Dr. Wright's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Neurology
  •  Board certified in Neurology

Dr. Wright has no media or publications listed.

No malpractice history found for Tennessee.

Why It Matters: Dr. Wright's Board Certifications

• Hydrocephalus
  • Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension
  • Inflammatory and Toxic Neuropathy
  • Insomnia
  • Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
  • Myasthenia Gravis
  • Myoclonus
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus
  • Stroke
  • Subarachnoid Hemorrhage
  • Syncope
  • Thrombosis
  • Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA)
  • Tremor

U Tex SW

Completed in 1991

Texas A&M University / Main Campus

Graduated in 1982

Dr. Wright does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Wright and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Neurology