Dr. L Westerlund, MD

Dr. L Westerlund, MD

Orthopedic Spine Surgery  |
Dr. L Westerlund, MD is an orthopedic spine surgery doctor who practices in Columbus, GA. He is 49 years old and has been practicing for 22 years.

2300 Manchester Expy Ste A006

Columbus, GA 31904

• Principal Financial Group

Learn about Dr. Westerlund

See how frequently Dr. Westerlund performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Cervical Spine Myelopathy
Sciatica (Not Due to Disc Displacement)
Back Pain

Dr. Westerlund's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

This content was provided by Dr. Westerlund "As a fellowship-trained reconstructive spine surgeon, I appreciate that every patient is unique and that every neck and back problem requires a special, thoughtful solution. Many of the patients I see do not require surgery, and these patients are evaluated then referred for non-surgical care as a first priority. For those patients that do require a surgical solution, I believe in using the least invasive operative solution possible to help patients heal quickly and achieve their very best."

• Orthopedic Spine Surgery

• Elbow Bursitis
  • Ganglion Cyst
  • Hip Pointer Injuries
  • Knee Dislocation
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Lumbar Herniated Disc
  • Lumbar Radiculopathy
  • Lumbar Spinal Stenosis
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Morton's Neuroma
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Osteoarthritis of Ankle and Foot

• Adult Scoliosis Correction
  • Anterior Cervical Herniated Disc Surgery With Fusion
  • Anterior Cervical Herniated Disc Surgery With Plating and Fusion
  • Anterior Cervical Microdiscectomy With Fusion
  • Anterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion Surgery (ALIF)
  • Cervical Artificial Disc Replacement
  • Endoscopic Thoracic Spine Surgery
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Kyphoplasty
  • Kyphoplasty, Percutaneous
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Lumbar Laminectomy
  • Microsurgical Spine Surgery
  • Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery
  • Minimally Invasive Surgery
  • Neuroplasty
  • Percutaneous Vertebroplasty
  • Posterior Cervical Laminectomy
  • Posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion Surgery (PLIF)
  • Spinal Compression Fracture Repair
  • Spinal Decompression
  • Spinal Fusion
  • Spinal Reconstructive Surgery for Deformities
  • Spinal Tumor Surgery
  • Spine Fracture Treatment
  • Spine Surgery
  • Thoracic Disc Surgery

No malpractice history found for Georgia.

• The University Of Virginia
    Undergraduate School | Graduated 1990
  • Georgetown University School Of Medicine
    Medical School | Graduated 1995
  • University Of Virginia Health Sciences Center, Department Of General Surgery
    Internship Hospital | Completed 1996
  • University Of Virginia Health Sciences Center, Departement Of Orthopaedic Surgery
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2001
  • Thomas Jefferson University Medical Center and The Rothman Institute Division Of Spine Surgery
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2002
  • University Of Virginia Orthopaedic Research Laboratory, Biomechanics Fellow
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1997

• George M. Kober Scholar, Georgetown University School of Medicine,
  • Dean Edwin W. Pullen Anatomy Teaching Award, 1999

Dr. Westerlund has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Westerlund does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Westerlund and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Westerlund's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Westerlund to family and friends
Dr. Westerlund's Performance
in Columbus |
Dr. Westerlund is a expert surgeon and corrected my complex lower back issues with confidence and professionalism.
in Columbus, GA |
Outstanding bedside manner which went a long way towards alleviating my concerns. He spent plenty of time with me and answered all my questions. He wanted to start out with conservative treatment (pain mgmt, injections) but was willing to operate when that didn't help. Dr. Westerlund actually operated on my PT's wife too, and my PT highly recommends him. I'm just starting PT now, and am hopeful for a great outcome. If you need a great orthopedic surgeon, you can't go wrong with Dr. Westerlund.
in Phenix city |
A very good surgeon. I left surgery on my back with no pain. I feel awesome. He is very positive outgoing Dr. Thank you Dr Westerlund
in Columbus, Georgia |
I am a 33 year old healthy and active woman, but have been in pain at the L4/L5 level for the past year. Here I am almost 2 weeks after surgery and feel pretty awesome. I expect to continue healing and getting better each day. Dr. Westerlund, Ms. Ivy Holt, Ms. Misty Green, and Ms. Vicky have been a wonderful team to work with. Their professionalism and knowledge made me feel I was in super hands. Dr. Westerlund put my mind at ease. I highly recommend this awesome team for back pain!
in Smiths Station, AL |
My experience started off GREAT! The receptionist Melissa was very nice! Dr. Westerlund, and his staff were beyond awesome. Dr. Westerlund was truly concerned about my problem. I would definitely recommend him.
in Ft Benning, GA |
Exceptional care and patiance. I feel 100% better since my sergery. His office staff was magnificent, they were there to answer all questions and support me during my process. I would recommend Dr. Westerlund to my friends and family, especially my military battles. I would like to thanks you for your excellent care and dedication to wellness .
in Columbus, GA |
After 2 months of other doctors not finding my problem, Dr. Westerlund found it within an hour. He fixed the problem at it's root as opposed to the doctors at Midtown Medical Center. I spent nearly a week in the hospital only to be sent home with tons of pain medicine. Now, 3 weeks after Dr. Westerlund did surgery, my life is almost back to normal. I and my family thank you from the bottom of our hearts!
in Columbus, GA |
BEST Doctor and surgeon. Great staff and always put my health first. Dr. Westerlund is always available if I needed him even after hours and on the weekend. The surgery he did on my neck gave me complete relief of my pain. His surgical team was great and caring and very knowledgable. I highly recommend him.
in Columbus, GA |
Best Dr. ever with a wonderful staff they are nice and they tend to you. I appreciate the swift but accurate staff. Your treated you like family and how they want their families treated thanks Dr. Westerlund, thanks Vicky & Misty and etc.. and anyone I missed you are wonderful.
in Columbus, Ga |
Dr. Westerlund talked to me like he knew me and my family and cared about my health now and the future. He sets the tone of caring and professionalism for the rest of the staff.
in Columbus, GA |
Dr. Westerlund and his staff are extremely courteous and professional. Every question/concern I could ever imagine was addressed in detail.From the minute I walked through the doors I was treated like I was the only patient in the building. Missy, Ivy and Dr. W(and the amazing person that signed me in-didn't get her name) actually made having a surgical procedure and follow up a pleasant experience and that is a difficult feat. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this practice to family/friends!
in Phenix City, AL |
I have been seeing Dr. Westerlund for spine and back issues. He is very good at explaining what is wrong, going through the x-rays or MRIs and leaving time to answer any questions I would have. He is a very caring and compassionate doctor that is very easy to talk to. His procedures went just as planned and I am now pain free after having a herniated disc. The office staff is always courteous and helpful. I would highly recommend him.
in Fargo, ND |
Life changing! I came to Dr.Westerlund after 6 years of pain and immobility with no answers from other drs. Dr. Westerlund is engaging, clear, concise, thorough and compassionate. I left with a diagnosis and plan which I have implemented with great success in the first couple weeks. My family can't believe the change and have already recommended Dr. Westerlund to others. We give him 10 stars!
in Phenix City, AL |
I will definitely recommend Dr. Westerlund to family and friends. He is very friendly, professional, and thorough. He worked his magic and now I am pain free. He genuinely cares for his patients. He listens and takes time to address any and all concerns before, as well as after the procedures. His office staff is always kind and courteous. The office is always neat and clean. The wait time is never long. I completely trust his decisions regarding my health care.
in Warner Robins, GA |
Dr. Westerlund is very professional and pleasant to talk to. He explained what to expect on my first visit. He has changed my life drastically in a good way. I was falling apart at a fast pace and he put me back together. Meeting him and allowing him to repair the three herniated discs and pinched nerve in my neck has been by far the best decision I have ever made. I recommend him highly to anyone who is in pain and requires surgery. Thanks Dr. Westerlund.
in Hamilton, GA |
I came to Dr. Westerlund in extreme pain in my lower back and leg after a completely unsatisfactory surgery with another neurosurgeon in Columbus. After reviewing my results, we agreed that I needed surgery, but I was leaving for Costa Rica the next day. Ivy, his wonderful P.A., suggested I try a steroid pack for pain relief. THAT suggestion allowed me to ENJOY my trip with very little or NO PAIN!! The entire staff is friendly, caring & professional. Have recommended to several friends!
Columbus, GA |
I highly recommend Dr. Westerlund! He performed an anterior/posterior lumbar fusion on me in January 2017 and i had the best care from day one! He does not perform unnecessary surgery so i felt totally at ease. Between him and his PA Ivey, they constantly checked on me. Another huge event that occurred during my recovery is that Dr. Westerlund found a tumor in my stomach that ended up being cancer. He basically saved my life and i will be forever grateful. He is a very thorough surgeon!!
in Columbus, GA |
My experience has been a little different because I don't have insurance. I was unable to get out of bed for two months and in the worst pain of my life. The team at the doctors office assisted me as much as they could via phone and once I got in to see the doctor he jump right on my situation. My surgery was successful and the whole team made me feel like my case was most important. Let me say thank you to Dr. Westerlund and his entire staff for the care and work shown to me. Thanks Misty
in Alabaster, AL |
My experience was the best! His staff is excellent esp.Vicky and Misty! Dr.W. Is thorough with his explanations of procedures,risks and outcomes! I have been very pleased with the results of the kyphoplasty performed on February 7th by Dr. Westerlund. I would recommend Dr.W. and the Spine Center to everyone with a 5 - Star rating??
in Columbus, GA |
Dr. Westerlund care about patient he explained and show the problem at hand.His staff are great too they friendly .Miss Green , whenever I had questions she very helpful. Key to operation doing as the doctor say.Thank You Dr. Westerlund & staff.
Great doctor
in Opelika, AL |
The office staff is very helpful and friendly!! Dr. Westerlund is the BEST!!!. He always takes the time to answer all your questions and explain everything. He reviews all nonsurgical procedures and options for you to decide and determine if surgery is your best option. He loves his work and shows you before and after x-rays to see the improvements from the surgery. We love him and highly recommend him to everyone.
in Phenix City, AL |
My experience with Dr. Westerlund and his team was great. He explained all my options to make sure I understood and was comfortable with my decision. The results from my procedure was great! I had instant relief of pain and discomfort. The whole process was smooth. The staff in his office was friendly and helpful. The wait time for office visits was lower than expected. Thanks Dr.Westerlund and Team!
in Columbus, GA |
Dr Westerlund was extremely compassionate and knowledgeable about my condition and the surgery I needed. He offered other suggestions before having the surgery, which I appreciated and tried. His Staff is friendly and very courteous. My calls and questions were welcomed and addressed immediately. I highly recommend Dr Westerlund and the St Francis Pine Center, Columbus, GA.
in Macon, Georgia |
Approachable, honest, very capable spine surgeon. I came to Dr. Westerlund for a 2nd opinion for surgical options. I had seen two other doctors, to include one at a center that is on national TV. He introduced me to a minimally invasive surgery that provided more a permanent solution than what others were offering. He was honest about the expectations and limitations. He performed my surgery almost two years ago now, and I continue to do incredibly well. Wonderful caring office and staff!
in Columbus, GA |
My experience with Dr. Westerlund and his staff was exactly what I was looking for in an orthopedic surgeon and follow-up care. Dr. Westerlund bed side manors and patience explaining what procedure is best for my back increased after the first visit. My husband and I had total confidence that I was in the best hands possible. The office nurse Misty is very pleasant and has excellent follow-up technique which I believe makes the complete experience A-1.
in Pine Mountain, Ga |
Dr. Westerlund has an excellent personality. He was pleasant and explained things so I could understand them. His staff was helpful and pleasant also. I would recommend him!
in Columbus, GA |
I've been extremely pleased with the care I've received. When I initially came to see him, he did not push me to have surgery and was genuinely concerned that I be comfortable about the necessity. When I returned to him to discuss surgery, he was honest, straightforward encouraging. Surgery went extremely well and follow up visits have been positive and helpful. His staff has been wonderful and I have been able to call and get answers. Staff is cheerful and helpful. Would recommend him.
in Phenix City, AL |
I can't give Dr. Westerlund (and his Physician's Assistant, Ivy) enough stars. He did a very complex surgery on my neck and did it well, and I can highly recommend him. He explained my situation well, before and after my surgery, at follow up. I feel quite optimistic that a 20 year long problem is finally solved, since my pain is virtually gone! The office staff are efficient and kind.
in Columbus, GA |
No relief from lumbar fusion surgery. I would not let this man work on my dog. It has been 2 years since my surgery and I am still in quite a bit of pain daily. I ended up going to a pain management Doctor. I kept telling Dr. Westerlund that I was still in pain so he just referred me to the pain management clinic. His words were " I worked on you, so you should be fine". He has a God like complex. I don't know how he has so many 5 stars on his ratings. I would not recommend him.
in Phenix City, AL |
Dr. Westerlund and his staff are awesome. They treated me like an individual, not just another patient. Dr. W was knowledgeable and he acted quickly, gave me my treatment options, gave me his recommendation and the rest was history. Even after my insurance declined my surgery, Dr. W performed it anyway and we worked it out later. I only wish I had found him sooner.
in Thomaston Ga |
Took time to explain MRI results and options available. Staff very friendly. Great physician assistant!
in Buena Vista, GA |
I Think Dr. Westerlund was the best I could go to. THANKS
in Bainbridge, GA |
Dr. Westerlund was referred to me by another physician. His expertise resulted in my having minimally invasive spine surgery, which made my recovery process much easier. He does not hurry through office visits and answers any and all questions thoroughly. He does not push for surgery as the first alternative. I recommend Dr. Westerlund to anyone needing back surgery. He obviously stays current with state-of-the-art procedures.
in Acworth, GA |
Dr. Westerlund is an amazing physician,surgeon, and individual. He is very patient, listens well, explains well, and takes the time to answer your questions thoroughly and honestly. I am so blessed to have had another physician refer me to him. He was able to accomplish in my cervical spine what no other neurosurgeon or orthopedic spine surgeon would touch. My experience was virtually painless and my recovery for this particular surgery was two weeks max. I highly recommend him.
in Mammoth Lakes, CA |
Outstanding health provider who managed my pain successfully. I would definitely recommend him.
in San Juan Capistrano, CA |
Dr. Westerlund was concerned about my well-being. He attentively listened, diagnosed and prescribed a treatment protocol that corrected my situation. He also followed-up to ensure a positive outcome. A most positive experience...straight forward and to the point. Thank you.
in Washington, DC |
Dr. Westerlund is an extremely professional spine surgeon who takes time to listen and understand what's wrong. He is responsive and thorough and I would highly recommend him to anyone in the Columbus, Ga or ATL area.
in Smithfield, North Carolina |
Dr. Westerlund did my neck surgery several years ago and I could not recommend him more highly. I was impressed with his bedside manner, the attention he gave my concerns and questions, and his skills as a surgeon. My surgery was a success and I feel he gave me great care before surgery and during the follow up period.
Have you seen Dr. L Westerlund, MD?
Are you Dr. Westerlund?