Orthopedic Hip Surgery  |
Dr. Kostas Economopoulos, MD
Dr. Economopoulos is fellowship trained in sports medicine and hip arthroscopy. He is a team orthopaedic consultant for Arizona State University. At ASU, he participates in sideline management treating on-field injuries and seeing the athletes in the training rooms. Born and raised in Phoenix, he attended Brophy College Preparatory. He went on to complete his undergraduate degree and medical school at the University of Arizona in Tucson. Returning to Phoenix, he completed his residency in orthopaedic surgery at Banner Good Samaritan Medical Center. Following his training in Phoenix, he spent a year as a sports medicine fellow at the University of Virginia specializing in shoulder and knee arthroscopy under the guidance of internationally known surgeons Mark Miller and David Diduch. While a fellow at the University of Virginia, he functioned as a team physician taking care of the Division I athletes at the University of Virginia and James Madison University. He completed his training with a 6 month hip arthroscopy fellowship in Melbourne, Australia with John O'Donnell, a pioneer in hip arthroscopy and one of the highest volume hip arthroscopists in the world. Dr. Economopoulos is one of few orthopaedic surgeons in the United States to complete a concentrated fellowship in hip arthroscopy and the treatment of femoroacetabular impingement (FAI) and labral tears. Dr. Economopoulos' clinical interests include sports injuries and arthroscopic treatment of knee, hip and shoulder injuries. He has special interest in the treatment of hip injuries in the young athlete and specializes in the arthroscopic treatment of FAI and labral tears of the hip and open repairs of hamstring tears. In addition to hip injuries, he is fellowship trained in the arthroscopic treatment of knee and shoulder injuries including ACL and knee ligament reconstruction, meniscal tears, shoulder instability and arthroscopic rotator cuff repair. He has completed training in Makoplasty, which uses a robotic arm to perform partial knee replacements in select patients. Dr. Economopoulos has published multiple papers and book chapters on the topics of hip, knee and shoulder disorders in athletes and has presented his research at both national and international sports conferences. He is a member of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine, Arthroscopy Association of North America and the International Society for Hip Arthroscopy.

Tempe Office

• PacificSource

Learn about Dr. Economopoulos

RECOVERY. RESULTS. RELIEF.

Dr. Economopoulos' Experience

Dr. Economopoulos' experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Orthopedic Hip Surgery

• Orthopedic Hip Surgery
  • Orthopedic Knee Surgery
  • Orthopedic Shoulder & Elbow Surgery
  • Sports Medicine

Dr. Economopoulos does not have any board certifications listed.

• Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) or Posterior Cruciate Ligament (PCL) Tear

• Rotator Cuff Surgery
  • Rotator Cuff and Labral Repair
  • Shoulder Fracture Treatment
  • Shoulder Fracture and Dislocation Treatment

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Arizona.

• University Of Arizona
  • Hip Arthroscopy With John O'Donnell
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2013
  • University Of Virginia Hospitals
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2012

Dr. Economopoulos has no awards or honors listed.

Dr. Economopoulos has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Economopoulos does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Economopoulos and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Economopoulos' Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Economopoulos to family and friends
Dr. Economopoulos' Performance
Phoenix, AZ |
Dr. Economopoulos is one of the best surgeons I have had. He has a great bedside manner, educates you on what will happen after surgery and is available for questions. The staff at TOCA is amazon as well.
Tucson, AZ |
Awesome doctor. By far one of the best I have ever seen. After seeing multiple doctors about my hips, he was the only one who seemed completely knowledgeable and genuinely cared about me and the pain I was having. I was in pain for over a year where multiple surgeons told me that I was completely fine, but once I met with Dr. E he immediately noticed there was a problem and I ended up having a massive tear and large bone spur that the other failed to recognize. Highly recommend.
in Chandler, AZ |
Very friendly and straight forward.. He made me feel comfortable going through with the surgery I knew I needed. Dr E is truly the best
Oakland, CA |
I was pleased with the office. My disappointment was that I saw the PA for a longer time than Dr Economopoulos. I would prefer seeing only the doctor in the future. The PA was very nice, however. One should be informed that they would be seeing the PA. Thank you.
in Scottsdale |
Very knowledgeable, very friendly, very professional. Everything you want in a doctor!
The doctor and staff very organized and proffesional.
Gilbert, AZ |
Excellent doctor that by far is the most comfortable I’ve ever talked to in my almost 50 years of being on this planet. Very informative, doesn’t talk down to you and puts you at ease explaining everything in complete understandable details. Also has been great with meeting with my spouse post surgery and making her feel comfortable in how things went.
in Queen creek |
Dr. Economopoulos was fantastic. I was very nervous going in to get evaluated for my knee pain and he made me feel relaxed. He's a jokester and was very kind. He explained all of my options and answered all of my questions. Great doctor! Will return!
in Flagstaff, AZ |
I consulted three seperate surgeons concerning my hip problem. It was diagnosed as a cam impingement with probable labrum tear. The first physician wanted to perform a full hip replacement. The second told me that if I can deal with the pain that I should just take cortisone injections. I did a fair bit of research on line and learned about an arthroscopic repair technique and the best doctor to do it. My only regret now is that I did not have it done sooner. Thank You Dr. Eco!!
in Mesa, AZ |
I was very nervous about my visit. He made me feel calm and comfortable talking about it. He has a wonderful bed side manner!
in Mesa,AZ |
Dr Economopoulos is a wonderful physician.
in Peoria, AZ |
Very professional, he is great!
in Tempe, AZ |
Had a patellar fracture but have multiple allergies to anesthesia and pain medication. Dr. E found ways to do the surgery without me going into anaphylactic shock, kept me medically safe, found pain medications I could take and performed a surgical incision that looks really good and is healing well. All the nurses tell me the incision looks fantastic and I think so too. Gave me good information about the surgery and the expectations.
in Phoenix |
When I made my appt I told them I had bone on bone in my hip. They scheduled me with Economopoulos. I spent less than 5 minutes with him and he told me I have bone on bone but he no longer does hip replacement surgery so I have to reschedule with another Dr. When I asked why I was scheduled with him he apologized and said we don't have the brightest people up front. What an awful thing to say about your staff. Who even knows if it was their fault.A waste of time and still have to pay office vi
in Mesa, AZ |
The personality of Doc E is outstanding. He treats his patients as people first. He will treat you before pushing for surgery. Obviously if this is the needed case. In this day and age he will remind you of a old time home visit family doctor that knows his patients like family. Sometimes waiting will be more than expected because of the personal care he provides, but you will see it is all worth it. Absolutely outstanding. Is staff is absolutely great too! Class act professional!!!!!
Have you seen Dr. Kostas Economopoulos, MD?
Are you Dr. Economopoulos?

See our Orthopedic Hip Surgery Specialist at Dignity Health - St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center

Visit Dr. Economopoulos