Dr. Kornelis Poelstra, MD

Orthopedic Surgery | Male

Dr. Kornelis Poelstra, MD
Dr. Kornelis Poelstra, MD is an orthopedic surgery doctor who practices in Destin, FL. He is 44 years old and has been practicing for 20 years. Dr. Poelstra is affiliated with Fort Walton Beach Medical Center and Sacred Heart Hospital On the Emerald Coast.

Dr. Poelstra's Care Philosophy

Provide excellent care that is financially responsible and very well understood by my patients.

Dr. Poelstra's Experience

See how Dr. Poelstra's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Poelstra

Dr. Poelstra accepts 10 insurance carriers

Dr. Poelstra is now accepting new patients

Check out the quality of care at the 2 hospitals where Dr. Poelstra has admitting privileges.

Dr. Poelstra's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Poelstra to family and friends
    Dr. Poelstra Says:

Dear patients, Thank you so much for your comments and expressions of appreciation for the care you have received. I really appreciate all your compliments to myself and my PA, Jonathan Needler and my nurse, Tracy Whitehead. This will always continue to be the driving force behind making our Spine Institute the best place to go for all of your care! Go Spine!

Dr. Poelstra's Performance
    in Miramar Beach Florida |
    The professionalism that Dr Poelstra and his staff exemplified during my treatment and subsequent surgery, could only be considered as excellent and outstanding. Dr Poelstra and his staff made you feel that your wellbeing was most important. Professionalism at all levels. I highly recommend Dr Poelstra.
    in Crestview, FL |
    I have suffered for years with cervical disc issues and with the guidance and care of Dr. Poelstra and his staff I am now healing and can't thank them enough. Anyone considering surgery should undoubtedly look into the Spine Institute from pain management to surgery, they will help you every step of the way. I can't thank them enough.
    Panama City Beach, FL |
    He was beyond wonderful! I was only 30 when I learned that I needed a spinal fusion, and working in the healthcare field I knew I needed to find someone who truly knew what they were doing and Dr. Poelstra was the obvious choice. He was warm and caring the first time I met him and he had a great bedside personality, but more importantly, he knew what he was doing and has a good success rate for the surgery I needed. His staff was wonderful and accommodating! Can't recommend him enough!
    Crestview, FL |
    I suffered a combat injury about 2 1/2 years ago and as a result I have had a herniated disc in my lower back since then. The pain had gotten so bad that I couldn't sleep, it was effecting my work and I couldn't play with my kids. I was referred to Dr. Poelstra with it already set in my mind that I wanted surgery. Dr. Poelstra explained to me in detail what the surgery would entail and what to expect from the recovery. A few weeks later I went in for the surgery and when I woke up about 45 m
    in Rotterdam, Netherlands |
    After 8 surgeries during the last 35 years my back was a mess, I couldn't stand straight or walk and used 30 mg morfine daily. I traveled 10,000 miles to have my back fixed by dr. Poelstra. In dr. Poelstra's office hangs a painting from a patient, who believes dr. Poelstra is an angel sent by God to take care of his patients. I can only concur. After the surgery 1/14/2017 my pain was gone, I could stand and walk again. Best spinal orthopedic surgeon worldwide. And a very pleasant man.
    in Mary Esther, FL |
    Dr. Poelstra did my back surgery on 1 Dec 2016. He said that he could only get rid of 50% of the pain I was having from the severe spinal stenosis. I am happy to say that he got rid of 85% of the pain, maybe more! It's great to be able to get up, walk, and get things done around the house that I haven't been able to do for the last several years! Most important, I can now sit on my motorcycle and have a comfortable long ride. Thanks to you and your staff for everything! "Jake"
    in Coral Springs, FL |
    It is with great pleasure that I recommend Dr. Poelstra. I had been to five doctors and had three surgeries attempting to alleviate the pain associated with my spine. Dr. Poelstra was able to identify and articulate exactly what my problem was and not only what he would do to repair it, but how long it would take and what I could expect from the surgery. One of the prior surgeries I had turned out to be a full fusion of 4/5 and too k fourteen hours. As stated it took Dr. Poelstra two hours. Tks
    in Navarre, FL |
    My experience with Dr. Poelstra was very positive. Dr. Poelstra was very professional, technically competent and could explain the procedure I was to undergo in laymen's terms. His staff also exuded competence, compassion and approachability.
    in Niceville, FL |
    Dr. Poelstra performed spinal surgery on me on Feb 2, 2016. I first saw him in August 2015 barely able to walk because of back pain. After trying other pain relief measures without total success, we decided on surgery. I am walking totally without pain since April, 21/2 months after the surgery. Dr. Poelstra and staff, always explained everything to my satisfaction. They made sure my husband and I understood all their instructions; they never made us feel rushed.
    in Niceville, FL |
    Finally out of pain!! What a relief! Dr. Poelstra really cares for his patients and their well being. I will definitely recommend him and his team to others with spinal issues.
    in Miramar Beach FL |
    I never thought being normal could be something that would make me happy but after living with back pain for the last ten years I can't say enough about how great it is to be normal again. After years of living with back pain Dr. Poelstra found that I had fatty tissue growing in my spinal canal. The day after surgery I was walking pain free. The incision was small and I didn't need any pain meds, not even aspirin. I would highly recommend Dr. Poelstra to any one with spinal problems.
    in Santa Rosa Beach, FL |
    It really saddens me to give this review! However, Dr. Poelstra's office has clearly gone from providing quality care to only being interested in quantity of care! I'm so disappointed in how the service at the Destin office has deteriorated! You can't even get people to call you back! Then you get people like, Nicole Porter to finally answer the phone and then she speaks to you in a condescending tone! Thanks to your office I have been left in pain, in debt, and lost all trust in anyone from you
    Destin, FL |
    I have had the opportunity to be in Dr. Poelstra's presence on many occasions. From a standpoint not completely patient based, I have been able to see the love he has for his family, patients and employees. This gentleman truly loves to help people. He puts his entire heart into his work. I would highly recommend him to anyone needing health care. He is not only experienced beyond the normal expectations of his field, but he has an innate desire to help others.
    in Navarre, FL |
    I was referred to Dr. Poelstra by my physical therapist after being misdiagnosed for 2 years. Dr. Poelstra and his staff had me diagnosed and surgery complete within 2 months of seeing him. The staff is awesome and the whole procedure was easy. I am now 8 weeks post surgery and run 3 miles 4-5 days a week with general calisthenics.
    in Panama City Beach, FL |
    I had spine surgery a year and half ago by a neurosurgeon in Gulf Breeze. I continued to have terrible pain. My primary care physician recommended Dr. Poelstra and I am so glad that she did. Dr. Poelstra corrected my previous surgery two months ago and I am almost totally pain free. He has saved my sanity! His office staff are all the greatest especially his Nurse Practitioner Anna Braun. I was fortunate to have Dr. Poelstra correct the problems with my spine. My husband says so too!!
    in Freeport, FL |
    Excellent provider. Very skilled and compassionate.
    in Fort Walton Beach, FL |
    This one's easy. The man had a hand in saving my life!!! He's the best!!! He removed 3 busted up bones from my neck and then fused my cervical from C4-7. He is kind and honest and cares!! A true diamond! So so so gifted and skilled. Use this professional neurosurgeon today. Right now!!
    in Santa Rosa Beach, FL |
    Dr. Poelstra and his staff were amazing! I highly, highly recommend. This was my best medical experience ever. I ended up feeling like these folks have become my friends. Top notch!
    in Miramar Beach, FL |
    Dr Poelstra is the best there is. I had surgery in January and felt almost instant relief. Not only is he an excellent Surgeon he is so kind and makes you feel like you are his only patient. I would highly recommend him to ANYONE! They don't make doctors like him anymore. My wife and I feel very lucky to have found him. Sincerely, J.F. Badessi M.D.
    Have you seen Dr. Kornelis Poelstra, MD?
    Are you Dr. Poelstra?

Dr. Poelstra's Care Philosophy

Dr. Poelstra says...

Dr. Poelstra's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery
    •  Board certified in Orthopedic Surgery
    •  Board actions found

Board Action

Dr. Poelstra has 1 board action

• Wrong-site surgery (6/15/2015)
      • Action Taken: Education
      • Summary: Please reference the following Document
      • Documentation: Download here (PDF)
      • State: Florida

Why It Matters: Dr. Poelstra's Board Certifications

• Ankle Fracture
    • Ankylosing Spondylitis
    • Ankylosing Vertebral Hyperostosis
    • Baker’s Cyst
    • Bone Cancer
    • Broken Neck
    • Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak (CSF Leak)
    • Chondrocalcinosis
    • Coccygeal Pain
    • Coccyx or Sacrum Fracture
    • Femur Fracture
    • Hand Fracture
    • Heel Spur
    • Hip Fracture
    • Hip Pointer Injuries
    • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
    • Lumbar Spine Fracture
    • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
    • Non-Unions and Malunions of Fractures
    • Pathological Spine Fracture
    • Peripheral Autonomic Neuropathy
    • Pseudoarthrosis
    • Pyogenic Arthritis
    • Reiter's Syndrome (Reactive Arthritis)
    • Sacrum Disorders

University Of Virginia

Completed in 2000

University Of Virginia

Completed in 2005

Thomas Jefferson University and The Rothman Institute Combined Neurological-And Orthopaedic Spine Surgery Fellowship-Rated #1 In The Usa

Completed in 2006

Praedinius Gymnasium-Magnet School / Pre-Med

Graduated in 1991

• Other Education
      Royal University Of Groningen-Department Of Biomedical Engineering-Phd

Completed in 2000

• Dutch
    • German

Dr. Poelstra does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Poelstra and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Orthopedic Spine Surgery

• Hip Fracture and-or Dislocation Treatment, Open
    • Knee Surgery
    • Knee and Lower Leg Fracture Treatment, Open
    • Kyphoplasty, Percutaneous
    • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
    • Lumbar Fusion