Dr. Kolawole Oyelese, MD

Maternal-Fetal Medicine | Male

Dr. Kolawole Oyelese, MD

I graduated in 1986 from the University of Ibadan in Nigeria, at the time considered the preeminent medical school in Africa. After undergoing training in ObGyn and practicing in Nigeria, I moved to London, England in 1992. I retrained in England and practiced there. I was fortunate to train and work under Professor Stuart Campbell, internationally known as the father of obstetrical ultrasound, and a pioneer in the field of fetal medicine. It was working with Professor Campbell that stimulated me to pursue a career in maternal fetal medicine. It was during this period at the world famous St. George's Hospital in London that I became interested in academic medicine and research. In London, I was fortunate to work closely with such international giants as Dr. Yves Ville, Dr. Stuart Stanton, Christoph Lees, Tom Bourne, Abdul Sultan, Austin Ugwumadu, Ranee Thakar and Austin Ugwumadu. In 1999, I moved to Washington DC, where I did my residency at Georgetown University Hospital. Following completion of my residency, I moved to the Robert Wood Johnson Medical School where I did my fellowship under Dr. John Smulian and Anthony Vintzileos, both giants in the field of maternal fetal medicine. Upon completion of my fellowship at the Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, I was asked to join the faculty as an Assistant Professor. A few years later, I was promoted to Associate Professor. From 2010 to 2014, I was at the Jersey Shore University Medical Center, where in 2013, I was appointed Director of Maternal Fetal Medicine. In October 2014, I was recruited to Atlantic Health System at the Morristown Medical Center, where I currently am a perinatologist. I have authored over 100 research papers, abstracts and book chapters. I am a reviewer for over 25 of the leading journals in obstetrics. I am also an award-winning photographer, a musician, and music producer.

...See Less

Dr. Oyelese's Care Philosophy

I believe my work is a calling, rather than a "job". I do my utmost to give every patient the very best care that can be provided. Furthermore, I promise to treat you with compassion, patience, and understanding. I try to treat every single patient the way I would want to be treated. I promise to treat you the same way I would treat my own wife, sister, or mother. In order to provide the very best care, I have undergone a lot of training, more than most physicians in our specialty. Going through a high risk pregnancy can often be an extremely scary time for the patient and for those close to her. However, these pregnancies can have good outcomes if the patient is looked after by a competent, compassionate physician. My philsophy has always been to care for the patient with the patient being an equal partner in decision making. In helping you make the best decisions, I will provide you with honest, medically sound information. It is a privilege to care for you!

Dr. Oyelese's Experience

See how Dr. Oyelese's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Oyelese

Dr. Oyelese accepts 35 insurance carriers

Dr. Oyelese is now accepting new patients

Check out the quality of care at the 2 hospitals where Dr. Oyelese has admitting privileges.

Dr. Oyelese's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Oyelese to family and friends
Dr. Oyelese's Performance
Dr. Oyolese is a wonderful Doctor. He is caring and his calm demeanor is very comforting. I was pregnant with twins and he did everything to put me at ease. He had a special way of explaining what was occurring and also provided an environment where all of my questions could be answered. I am grateful to him because when I was admitted into the hospital during the course of my pregnancy, I knew I was in good hands because he was working that day along with many other amazing doctors. Thank you.
in NJ |
Dr Oyelese is like a gentle giant. He was very attentive and professional. He even followed up while he was on vacation. He did my cerclage at 24 wks and I am at 33 wks thanks to him. We are so grateful for his technique and suggestions. I highly recommend him!!
in Morristown, NJ |
Throughout the course of my IVF & pregnancy I met with a LOT of doctors and had several issues arise. Dr. Oyelese was hands down the most straight forward and helpful doctor I had the pleasure of being treated by. He was non patronizing and thorough. He neither erred towards being an alarmist nor complacent feeling. He had a calm confidence and spent the time needed to explain everything to me in a way that left me certain we were taking the appropriate steps and minimized my nervousness.
in Hamburg, NJ |
Dr. Oyelese was an amazing comfort while in the hospital waiting to deliver our now beautiful 2 year old son. He is extremely brilliant and has an educators way of explaining what can be, not only a very emotional situation, but confusing as well. We will forever be grateful for him and his kindness and understanding.
Dr. Oyelese is simply amazing. I met him for a check up at MFM with Overlook hospital for a pregnancy with twins. Unfortunately, the check up led to me needing an emergency cerclage placed immediately (the following day). I must say, I received the best care that I have EVER experienced in my entire life with their team of doctors including DR. Oyelese. I can't thank him enough for his loving spirit, his patience, & most importantly his care for his patients. Highly Recommended!!!!
in Flanders, NJ |
Did my emergency cerclage at 22 weeks. Checked up on me to see how I'm doing. Trustworthy. Highly recommend if you're looking for a high risk doctor!
in Landing, NJ |
All of my interactions with Dr. O. have been positive. He is upbeat and always has a positive attitude. He always takes the time to stop by in the office or hospital and say Hi or call to check up on me. He calls to see how I am doing. I feel that he truly cares about his patients. When was the last time your doctor called to see how you were doing? :)
in Morristown, NJ |
I've been a patient of Atlantic MFM with two high risk pregnancies. I met Dr. Oyelese during my pre-pregnancy consultation when I was deciding whether to move forward with a second ivf AMA pregnancy. He spent a lot of time talking with me about risks and options and provided a lot of information to read. He was the Doctor who placed my cerclage at 22 weeks and was very positive and optimistic which was comforting. It enabled me to have a more active pregnancy even tho it's high risk!
I HIGHLY recommend Dr. Oyelese to anyone! After losing child and having miscarriages, I went to his practice because I needed a high-risk doctor and he gave me the best care and always made me feel comfortable. He also eased my mind after I had bleeding in my first trimester with my daughter (now nine) explaining to me that it's normal and not to worry. He's the most humble AND experienced doctor I've ever met.
in Lake Hiawatha, NJ |
Dr O is an excellent physician, today we are happy parents thanks to him. He is caring, compassionate, has in depth knowledge and excels in his field. And I say this because he took his time explaining my condition, he didn't promise me a miracle but he promised to do his best which he delivered. He really cared for me infact he gave me his contact number and regularly kept in touch with me throughout my pregnancy. One feels this isn't just a job for him but a calling. All we can say is thank u.
in ANNANDALE |
Dr. Oyelese wasn't my direct doctor for the condition I had. I happen to get him as the doctor on call when I had a question. My fetal son was diagnosed with a very serious condition and they didn't expect him to live. Dr. Oyelese helped me through that excessively difficult time. He kept following up with me my whole pregnancy through the birth of my healthy baby boy. He is kind, compassionate, detailed, and driven. He is incredible and a true healer.
Roselle, NJ |
Dr. Oyelesi is probably one of the best doctors I have ever been to. He's upbeat, very positive and extremely thorough. I had seen several doctors in the same practice and many doctors through my complicated pregnancy and all pale in comparison to him. He simply has a higher bar of excellence than other doctors. I think it is because he recognizes the high importance of both listening to and educating the patient. I wish other doctors would take a page out of his book!
Have you seen Dr. Kolawole Oyelese, MD?
Are you Dr. Oyelese?

Compare Dr. Oyelese

Dr. Oyelese says...

I graduated in 1986 from the University of Ibadan in Nigeria, at the time considered the preeminent medical school in Africa.  After undergoing training in ObGyn and practicing in Nigeria, I moved to London, England in 1992. I retrained in England and practiced there. I was fortunate to train and work under Professor Stuart Campbell, internationally known as the father of obstetrical ultrasound, and a pioneer in the field of fetal medicine. It was working with Professor Campbell that stimulated me to pursue a career in maternal fetal medicine.  It was during this period at the world famous St. George's Hospital in London that I became interested in academic medicine and research. In London, I was fortunate to work closely with such international giants as Dr. Yves Ville, Dr. Stuart Stanton, Christoph Lees, Tom Bourne, Abdul Sultan, Austin Ugwumadu, Ranee Thakar and Austin Ugwumadu.

I am also an award-winning photographer, a musician, and music producer.

Dr. Oyelese's Care Philosophy

Dr. Oyelese says...

I have expertise in the management of disorders of the placenta and umbilical cord. In particular, placenta previa, vasa previa, placental abruption and placenta accreta. I have done extensive research on these disorders, as well as having experience in caring for patients with these pregnancy complications.  Other areas of expertise  include cervical insufficiency and cerclage, prematurity, multifetal gestations, intrapartum obstetrics,  antepartum and intrapartum fetal assessment. I have authored several publications and book chapters on these subjects. In addition, I have presented my work at national and international meetings. As a professor, I have helped train and mentor medical students, residents and fellows over several years.

Dr. Oyelese's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Maternal-Fetal Medicine
      •  Board certified in Maternal & Fetal Medicine and Obstetrics & Gynecology

• Humanitarian Award; International Vasa Previa Foundation, 2003
        • Top 10% of reviewers for Obstetrics & Gynecology, official journal of the American Congress of Obstetricians & Gynecologists, 2005
        • Strings of Pearls Excellence in Teaching Award presented by the Class of 2001, Georgetown University Medical Center, 2003
        • Top 10% of reviewers for Obstetrics & Gynecology, official journal of the American Congress of Obstetricians & Gynecologists, 2011
        • Top 10% of Reviewers for The American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology, 2010
        • American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists and CREOG National Faculty Award for Excellence in Resident Education, 2009
        • New Jersey Maternal Fetal Medicine Society - First Prize for Research, 2004
        • Faculty Prize for Excellence in Medical Student Education, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Georgetown University M, 2002
        • Top 10% of reviewers for Obstetrics & Gynecology, official journal of the American Congress of Obstetricians & Gynecologists, 2006
        • Top 10% of reviewers for Obstetrics & Gynecology, official journal of the American Congress of Obstetricians & Gynecologists, 2008
        • New Jersey Maternal Fetal Medicine Society - First Prize for Research, 2003
        • Top 10% of reviewers for Obstetrics & Gynecology, official journal of the American Congress of Obstetricians & Gynecologists, 2007
        • First Prize Research Presentation, New Jersey Maternal-Fetal Medicine Society, 2006
        • First Prize, Chief Resident Research Presentation Day, Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC, 2002
        • Faculty Prize for Excellence in Medical Student Education, Department of ObGyn Georgetown University M, 2000
        • Strings of Pearls Excellence in Teaching Award presented by the Class of 2001, Georgetown University Medical Center, 2002
        • UMDNJ. Excellence in Teaching Award, 2008
        • Strings of Pearls Excellence in Teaching Award presented by the Class of 2001, Georgetown University Medical Center, 2001
        • First Prize Research Presentation, New York Perinatal Society, New York, NY, 2005
        • Outstanding Graduating Resident in Maternal Fetal Medicine, Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington DC, 2003
        • UMDNJ . Excellence in Teaching Award, 2006
        • Chavez MR, Oyelese Y, Vintzileos AM. Antepartum fetal assessment by ultrasonography: the fetal biophysical profile. In: Ultrasonography in Obstetrics and Gynecology. Fifth Edition, Callen P. (editor) Saunders Publishing 2007.
        • Oyelese Y, Smulian JC. Placenta Previa, Placenta Accreta and Vasa Previa. In: High Risk Pregnancy. Cheischeir N. Hankins GV. Mercer B. Editors. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, Washington DC, 2006.
        • Oyelese Y, Ananth CV. Placental Abruption. In: High Risk Pregnancy. Cheischeir N. Hankins GV. Mercer B. Editors. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, Washington DC, 2006.
        • Intrapartum fetal assessment and amnioinfusion. In: Operative Obstetrics. Vintzileos AM, Appuzzio J (eds). Taylor & Francis, London, 2005
        • Oyelese Y, Winkel CA. Uterine Diseases. In: Essential Reproductive Medicine. Carr BR, Blackwell RE, Azziz R (eds). McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, 2004
        • Oyelese Y. Epidemiology of Placenta Previa. In: Perinatal Epidemiology. Sheiner E. 2009
        • Oyelese Y. Chavez M. Vintzileos A. Antepartum Fetal Assessment. Fetal Heart Monitoring and Biophysical Profile. In Winn H. Chervenak F. Romero R (Eds). Clinical Maternal Fetal Medicine. Informa 2010
        • Oyelese Y. Canterino J. Placenta previa. In: Sheiner E (Ed) The Comprehensive Guide to Bleeding in Pregnancy. Springer 2011.
        • Oyelese, Y. Third Trimester Bleeding. In: High Risk Pregnancy Protocols. Spong CY. Hobbins J. Queenan JT. (Eds) 2009
        • Oyelese Y, Poggi SH, Collea JV. Aggressive versus conservative management of triplet pregnancies. In: Triplet Pregnancies and Their Consequences. Keith LG, Blickstein I (eds). Parthenon, London, UK. 2002
        • Oyelese Y, Ville Y. Fetal Hematology. Chapter 7. In: Fetal Disorders: Diagnosis and Management. Petrikovsky B (ed). Wiley-Liss, New York, NY. 1999
        • Babies die as hospitals skip test to save money, 2007
        • Doctors retreat over life-saving test, 2007
        • Y. Oyelese. JC. Smulian. Placenta previa, placenta accreta, and vasa previa. Clinical Expert Series. Obstetrics & Gynecology, 2006: Apri
        • Oyelese Y, Ananth CV, Smulian JC, Vintzileos AM. Delayed interval delivery in twin pregnancies in the United States: Impact on perinatal mortality and morbidity. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2005 Feb;192(2):439-44.
        • Auguste T, Murphy B, Oyelese Y. Appendicitis in pregnancy masquerading as recurrent preterm labor. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2002 Feb;76(2):181-2.
        • Oyelese KO, Porter A, Wai C. Midline episiotomy and anal incontinence. Is episiotomy ethically acceptable? BMJ 2000;320(7249):1602.
        • Oyelese Y. Obstetrical hemorrhage. Causes & Epidemiology. Clin Obstet Gynecol North Am 2009, 2009
        • Nath CA, Oyelese Y, Yeo L, Chavez M, Kontopoulos EV, Giannina G, Smulian JC, Vintzileos AM. Three-dimensional sonography in the evaluation and management of fetal goiter. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2005 Mar;25(3):312-4. Review.
        • Oyelese Y. Re: Prenatal detection of velamentous insertion of the umbilical cord: a prospective color Doppler ultrasound study. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2003 Sep;22(3):327.
        • Oyelese Y, Kueck AS, Barter JF, Zalud I. Asymptomatic postmenopausal simple ovarian cyst. Obstet Gynecol Surv. 2002 Dec;57(12):803-9. Review
        • Oyelese Y, Spong C, Fernandez MA, McLaren RA. Second trimester low-lying placenta and in vitro fertilization? Exclude vasa previa. J Matern Fetal Med. 2000 Nov-Dec;9(6):370-2.
        • Oyelese Y, Tchabo JG, Chapin B, Nair A, Hanson P, McLaren R. Conservative management of uterine rupture diagnosed prenatally on the basis of sonography. J Ultrasound Med. 2003 Sep;22(9):977-80.
        • Jermy K, Oyelese O, Bourne T. Uterine anomalies and failed surgical termination of pregnancy: the role of routine preoperative transvaginal sonography. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 1999 Dec;14(6):431-3.
        • Oyelese Y, Chavez MR, Yeo L, Giannina G, Kontopoulos EV, Smulian JC, Scorza WE. Three-dimensional sonographic diagnosis of vasa previa. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2004 Aug;24(2):211-5.
        • Oyelese Y, Jha RC, Moxley MD, Collea JV, Queenan JT. Magnetic resonance imaging of vasa praevia. BJOG. 2003 Dec;110(12):1127-8.
        • Oyelese Y, Catanzarite V, Prefumo F, Lashley S, Schachter M, Tovbin Y, Goldstein V, Smulian JC. Vasa previa: the impact of prenatal diagnosis on outcomes. Obstet Gynecol. 2004 May;103(5 Pt 1):937-42.
        • Oyelese Y, Elliott TB, Asomani N, Hamm R, Napoli L, Lewis KM. Sonography and magnetic resonance imaging in the diagnosis of cervico-isthmic pregnancy. J Ultrasound Med. 2003 Sep;22(9):981-3.
        • Oyelese KO, Placenta praevia: the case for transvaginal sonography. Contemp Rev Obstet Gynaecol 1999;257-261.
        • Lashgari S, Kueck AS, Oyelese Y. Atrial fibrillation in pregnancy associated with oral terbutaline therapy. Obstet Gynecol. 2003 Apr;101(4):814.
        • Oyelese Y, Ikomi A, Manyonda IT. Third consecutive complete posterior uterine rupture. A case report. J Reprod Med. 2001 July:46(7):694-6.
        • Oyelese Y. Placental Disorders/Bleeding in Pregnancy. In: Management of High Risk Pregnancy. Queenan JT. Spong CY. Lockwood CJ. Blackwell Publishing, June 2007.
        • Zekam N, Oyelese Y, Goodwin K, Colin C, Sinai I, Queenan JT. Total versus subtotal hysterectomy: a survey of gynecologists. Obstet Gynecol. 2003 Aug;102(2):301-5.
        • Oyelese Y. Placenta previa and vasa previa: time to leave the Dark Ages. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2001 Aug;18(2):96-9. Review.
        • Oyelese Y, Landy HJ, Collea JV, Cervical laceration associated with misoprostol induction. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2001 May:73(2):161-2.
        • Oyelese KO, Shehata H, Hussain S, Manyonda I. Towards the modern management of ectopic pregnancy: a complete audit cycle of practice in a London teaching hospital. J Obstet Gynaecol. 1999 May;19(3):276-9.
        • Oyelese, KO, Turner M, Lees C, Campbell S. Vasa previa: an avoidable obstetric tragedy. Obstet Gynecol Surv. 1999 Feb;54(2):138-45. Review
        • Oyelese Y, Holden D, Hamid R. Ville Y. Three-week delayed delivery in triplet pregnancy at full dilation with aggressive tocolysis. J Matern Fetal Med. 2000 July-Aug;9(4):250-1.
        • Oyelese KO, Schwarzler P, Coates S. Sanusi FA, Hamid R, Campbell S. A strategy for reducing the mortality rate from vasa previa using transvaginal sonography with color Doppler. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 1998 Dec;12(6):434-8.
        • Oyelese KO, Turner M, Ikomi A, Ville Y, Manyonda IT. Delivery through an undiagnosed major placenta praevia: good outcome for mother and baby. J Obstet Gynaecol. 1998 Jul:18(4):385-6
        • Ananth CV, Oyelese Y, Srinivas N, Yeo L, Vintzileos AM. Preterm premature rupture of membranes, intrauterine infection, and oligohydramnios: risk factors for placental abruption. Obstet Gynecol. 2004 Jul;104(1):71-7.
        • Poggi SH, Ghidini A, Landy HJ, McLaren R, Oyelese Y, Alvarez M, Pezzullo JC, Collea JV. Role of transvaginal sonographic cervical length in predicting spontaneous preterm delivery in triplet pregnancies with therapeutic cerclage. J Reprod Med. 2003 Oct;48(10):785-8.
        • Oyelese KO, Black RS, Lees CC, Campbell S. A novel approach to the management of pregnancies complicated by uteroplacental insufficiency and previous still birth. Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 1998 Nov;38(4):391-5.
        • US diagnosis of vasa previa prevents perinatal mortality, 7/14/2004
        • Couple urges routine screening for pregnancy condition
        • Prenatal ultrasound averts fetal vasa previa deaths Timely diagnosis helps physicians determine appropriate strategies for delivery, 2004

No malpractice history found for New Jersey.

Why It Matters: Dr. Oyelese's Board Certifications

Georgetown University Hospital

Completed in 2003

St George's Hospital

Completed in 1997

University Of Medicine and Dentistry Of New Jersey / Robert Wood Johnson Medical School

Completed in 2006

• Yoruba

Dr. Oyelese does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Oyelese and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Maternal-Fetal Medicine