Dr. Kirk McCullough, MD

Dr. Kirk McCullough, MD

Orthopedic Surgery  |

Dr. Kirk McCullough, MD is an orthopedic surgery doctor who practices in Leawood, KS. He is 38 years old and has been practicing for 10 years. Read his story

Orthopaedic and Sports Medicine Clinic of Kansas City

3651 College Blvd Ste 100A

Leawood, KS 66211

• Blue Cross Blue Shield of Kansas City
  • Buckeye Community Health Plan
  • Coventry Health Care of Missouri
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)

Learn about Dr. McCullough

See how frequently Dr. McCullough performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Ankle Sprains and Strains
Ankle Sprain and Achilles Tendon Sprain or Rupture
Sprains and Strains (incl. Muscle Tear)

Dr. McCullough's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. McCullough's bio

This content was provided by Dr. McCullough "Kirk A. McCullough, M.D. is a graduate of the University of Kansas School of Medicine. He completed his Orthopaedic Residency at Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville, TN. After residency, Dr. McCullough completed a fellowship in Sports Medicine and Shoulder/Elbow Surgery at OrthoCarolina in Charlotte, NC. Following his sports fellowship, Dr. McCullough completed an Orthopaedic Foot/Ankle fellowship at the Cleveland Clinic in Cleveland, OH. Since returning to Kansas City, Dr. McCullough has remained active in the professional sports community. In addition to his continued service on the NFL Foot and Ankle Subcommittee with Dr. Robert Anderson, he currently serves as an Assistant Team Physician for the Kansas City Chiefs, Assistant Team Physician for Sporting KC, and Head Team Physician for the Swope Park Rangers. He also continues consultant care for many local universities as well as the Kansas City Ballet. Clinical interests include the treatment of shoulder and elbow injuries, along with comprehensive treatment of knee and foot/ankle pathology. Dr. McCullough is Board Certified in Orthopaedic Surgery in addition to Subspecialty Certification in Orthopaedic Sports Medicine through the ABOS and is affiliated with the Kansas City Orthopaedic Institute."

This content was provided by Dr. McCullough "Growing up in the Kansas City area, I am excited to return to the region after training at some of the top centers of orthopedic education in the nation to provide excellence in the care of sports medicine knee, shoulder, and foot/ankle injuries.  I am passionate about providing the same high level of care that I received as a patient/athlete during my high school and collegiate career.  My primary objective as a clinician is to understand the desires of each patient regarding their respective injury/condition and hope for return to function, and to employ what I have learned to best achieve that goal.  "

• Orthopedic Arthroscopy

• Heel Spur
  • Internal Derangement of Knee
  • Knee Dislocation
  • Knee Sprain
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Non-Traumatic Rupture of Achilles Tendon

• Rotator Cuff Surgery
  • Shoulder Fracture and Dislocation Treatment
  • Shoulder Surgery
  • Viscosupplementation With Hyaluronate

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Kansas.

• U.S. Air Force Academy
  • Cleveland Clinic Foundation Foot and Ankle Fellowship
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2014
  • OrthoCarolina Sports Medicine and Shoulder/Elbow Fellowship
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2013

Dr. McCullough has no media or publications listed.

Dr. McCullough does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. McCullough and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. McCullough's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. McCullough to family and friends
Dr. McCullough's Performance
in Parkville, MO |
Dr. McCullough is outstanding. He is extremely competent and professional. I had a significant ankle injury and sought out Dr. McCullough as a second opinion. I am so glad I did. He explained how serious my injury was and why I needed surgery. I believe he saved me from years of ankle problems. He was highly recommended to me by others who knew athletes who went to him and a physician who sent his daughter to him for a gymnastics injury. He takes time to explain everything.
in Shawnee |
I have been going to the Kansas City Orthopedic Institute for several years and started seeing Dr. McCullough in 2015 for an ankle injury. He has also repaired my knee. Dr. McCullough is a very good doctor who truly cares about his patients. He takes the extra time to make sure all your questions are answered. Dr. McCullough goes above and beyond and takes great care of his patients. He is truly top notch.
Overland Park, KS |
I am sure he is competent, however, after a two hour wait in his small waiting room, he wasn't worth the visit
I am truly sorry for your wait time on the day of your appointment. Despite my best efforts, due to the unpredictable nature of our profession I was late in getting to clinic that day which then led to my delay in attempting to help you. While seemingly done without regard or concern of your time, please know that is not my intent and that I would more than happy to accommodate you however possible should a request for a different appointment be made.
in Leawood, KS |
Dr. McCullough has treated my foot and shoulder injuries over the last 2 years. A great listener, I left feeling like he knew everything he needed to, and he explained why he made his recommendations. Obviously I returned for my next injury and would recommend Dr. McCullough to anyone!
Leawood, KS |
While other doctors just told her to rest and that the pain would correct itself as growth plates closed, Dr. McCullough took the time and consideration to accurately and carefully diagnose and repair a problem with our daughter's shoulder. She could not swim without pain. She could not even brush her hair without extreme pain! But, today she can blow dry her own hair AND swim a 500m freestyle. Dr. McCullough's sincere concern gave our daughter confidence and peace of mind. We recommend!!!
Parkville, Mo |
Dr.McCullough is the most dedicated, conscientious Doctor who has ever treated me. He saw that I was in dire distress from a mishandled surgery and fixed it in an extremely timely manner. He deeply cared about my recovery and spent whatever time was necessary to explain my medical situation. I hold him in the highest regard and would definitely recommend him for complicated ankle surgeries.
Kansas City, MO |
I have had multiple knee issues throughout my career and have seen many orthopedic surgeons. Dr. McCullough by far is the best experience I have had. He is very helpful, knowledgeable, and provides you with a level of trust that is hard to find. I would highly recommend him to everyone and even have sent two co-workers to him. They have both had great experiences as well!
Wichita, KS |
I tore my Achilles' tendon playing soccer. I had my first surgery in wichita, but then I fell shortly after and retore the tendon. I had a second surgery however the second surgery did not fix the tendon. I was in need of a third surgery, and I needed an expert. It was a very complicated surgery and I spoke to three surgeons who all gave me different advise. I picked Dr McCullough to perform the third surgery. He was very knowledgeable and kind. He did a great job, and i'm fixed.
You won't find better!! Amazing
Overland Park, KS |
Simply Awesome experience. Took the time to answer all my questions, explains all my options clearly. Followed up with me after surgery thourouly including calling to check in at times on a weekend!!! That was amazing. You won't find a more skilled and caring surgeon around!!
Gardner, KS |
4 visits over past 3 months. Each visit required over two hr wait time(waiting room and exam room) Staff very unhappy with situation and were increasingly impolite to us when we ask why the wait
I apologize for the unfortunate wait times that you have experienced in your multiple visits over the past couple of months. I thank you for your continued patronage during this time despite this inconvenience to you. Please know that we are continuing to make adjustments to deal with the significant increase in clinic volume to hopefully make your experience a more enjoyable one in the future. If you have any specific recommendations for how to improve your experience I welcome the feedback.
Overland Park, KS |
STEER CLEAR of this guy & this clinic. Two years after having a ruptured Achilles Tendon repaired, my husband still can't feel his foot or walk without a limp-- including severe numbness, tingling and burning sensations throughout his ankle and foot. This doctor and this clinic have offered zero assistance in resolving this situation. Probably because it likely CAN'T be resolved due to nerve damage during the surgery. Patient care is nonexistent, the almighty dollar rules at this place.
I am not aware of any patient of mine that fits this description. If I am incorrect, I would urge you to please contact our office at your earliest convenience to better understand the ongoing issue as described and to attempt to identify any potential remedy to the situation.
Kansas City, MO |
I appreciate the fact that Dr McCullough only offered this elective shoulder surgery, but never pressured me. After living with chronic pain I decided to move forward and have never regretted it. The pain was gone immediately, the recovery was easy, and I had complete confidence in Dr McCullough through the entire process.
in Grain Valley |
We had a great experience with Dr. McCullough. He cared for our daughter with a broken hand as well as performed surgery on her broken collar bone. He is personable and took the time to communicate what to expect with surgery, recovery and rehab. He even followed up personally a few days after surgery. The surgery went great and I would high recommend him!
in Prairie Village, KS |
Dr. McCullough is very present for me. He takes his time and listens. He has a very calming presence. I feel so taken care of and I trust him 100%. I'm so glad I made an appointment with him.
in Lenexa, KS |
Dr. McCullough operated on me for a bone spur. He is personable, extremely competent, and caring. His nurse was helpful and considerate.
Dr. McCullough has made me achilles? tendon repair recovery so much smoother. He is extremely personable and it is very clear that he cares about each and every one of his patients. After having surgery he called me once a week to make sure things were okay. It?s the little things like that, which help the process go so much smoother mentally. It is nice to have a doctor who is on your side and only wants the best for you. I would definitely recommend him to anyone!
in overland park |
Pretty incredible experience. I had a torn Achilles Tendon and got in to see Dr. McCullough after he was referred to me. He did a procedure that only of handful of people are doing in the Country. I'm so glad I did, my ankle recovered in a few months when typically it takes about a year. I highly recommend him!
in Overland Park, KS |
I suffered a navicular fracture in my left foot during a basketball camp this June. I went to Kirk promptly and he accurately diagnosed my injury and formulated a plan for my recovery. He did an excellent job on my surgery, and I was able to recover from my injury in a mere 4 months, considering the seriousness of my injury and the stress of my sport. I am very satisfied with Kirk's expertise, and I recommend him very highly to anyone with orthopedic injuries.
Have you seen Dr. Kirk McCullough, MD?

Visit Dr. McCullough

Dr. McCullough accepts 13 insurance carriers
  • Blue Cross Blue Shield of Kansas City
  • Buckeye Community Health Plan
    Medicare
  • Coventry Health Care of Missouri
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
    GEHA