Dr. Kevin Welch, MD

Dr. Kevin Welch, MD

Rhinology  |

Dr. Kevin Welch, MD is a rhinology doctor who practices in Chicago, IL. He is 44 years old and has been practicing for 15 years. Read his story

Northwestern Medical Group

675 N Saint Clair St Ste 15-200

Chicago, IL 60611

• Beech Street (Multiplan)
  • HealthLink
  • HFN
  • UniCare

Learn about Dr. Welch

Video

See how frequently Dr. Welch performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Chronic Sinusitis
Sinusitis
Intranasal or Sinus Procedure

Dr. Welch's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. Welch's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Welch "I am board certified in Otolaryngology -- Head & Neck Surgery and fellowship-trained in rhinology, sinus surgery and anterior skull base surgery. I am a former chairman of the American Rhinologic Society Information Technology Committee as well as a member of the Board of Directors for the American Rhinologic Society, which is the premier society that advocates for clinical and basic science research and advances in treatment for patients with sinusitis. I serve on the Rhinology & Paranasal Sinus Committee of the American Academy of Otolaryngology Head & Neck Surgery, and these are two long-standing committees that promote education in the field of rhinology and allergic diseases. Lastly, I am an Associate Editor and on the Board of Directors for the International Forum of Allergy & Rhinology, the most widely distributed and read medical journal for sinusitis and allergic diseases. I currently practice and research at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine. I see patients with chronic sinusitis, sinus cancer, sinus tumors, polyps, deviated septums and those who would like a consultation regarding endoscopic sinus surgery or revision endoscopic sinus surgery."

This content was provided by Dr. Welch "My approach to patient care is to work efficiently to accurately diagnose a patient's problem and to provide them with options in line with the best available evidence and outcomes in mind. As a specialist, I use a number of tools and techniques (e.g., nasal endoscopy and cone beam imaging) to increase the accuracy of diagnosis. While these may seem unnecessary to some, these tools and techniques have been shown to minimize misdiagnosis and to improve patient care while saving money in the long run. "

• Rhinology
  • Otolaryngic Skull Base Surgery
  • Sinus Surgery

• Otolaryngology
    Accredited by: American Board of Otolaryngology*

• Allergic Fungal Sinusitis
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak (CSF Leak)
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid Rhinorrhea
  • Sinus Polyp
  • Sinus Tumor
  • Sinusitis
  • Skull Base Tumor

• Antrostomy and Antrotomy (Sinus Surgery)
  • Balloon Sinuplasty
  • Complex Skull Base Surgery
  • Craniectomy, Craniotomy, Surgery of Skull Base, Neuroendoscopy
  • Dacryocystorhinostomy
  • Diagnostic Nasal and-or Sinus Endoscopy
  • Endoscopic Sinus Surgery
  • Ethmoidectomy (Sinus Surgery)
  • Intranasal or Sinus Procedure
  • Nasal Septum Surgery (Septoplasty)
  • Orbital Decompression and Orbitotomy
  • Orbital Surgical Procedures
  • Revision Surgery
  • Sinus Surgery
  • Skull Base Surgery
  • Sphenoidectomy (Sinus Surgery)
  • Sphenoidotomy (Sinus Surgery)
  • Tear Duct Surgery

No malpractice history found for Illinois.

• University of Pennsylvania
  • University of Maryland Medical Center
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2007
  • Hospital Of The University Of Pennsylvania
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2008

Dr. Welch has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Welch does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Welch and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Welch's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Welch to family and friends
4.4
Dr. Welch Says:

Thank you for the feedback. I value the constructive criticisms and praise that anyone chooses to leave as feedback on this site. I encourage you to leave details specific to your visit so that other prospective patients can understand the reasons behind your praise/criticisms. If you have a bad experience, I would appreciate it if you spoke to me directly so that I have the opportunity to...

Dr. Welch's Performance
in Highland Park, IL |
After two unsuccessful sinus surgeries, an ear doctor I was seeing recommended Dr. Welch (2010). With the inclusion of daily nasal rinses, I’ve been mainly trouble free ever since. I rarely bother with reviews, but I’m confident in recommending Dr. Welch to anyone who is having sinus issues.
Chicago, IL |
I had heard from friends who work at Northwestern and Loyola that Dr. Welch is exceptional - extremely smart, a very capable surgeon, and very caring for his patients. I thus chose him to do my sinus surgery and was very pleased. He was definitely very caring and I feel really great thanks to the surgery. Thanks Dr. Welch!
Hi, there! I'm glad you had a great experience. Always pleased to hear that friends and former colleagues still send patients to me. Always grateful for that.
in Chicago, IL |
I think anyone who has a problem with their sinuses should see Dr. Welch. He and Elisabeth are a fantastic team. They are comprehensive and I feel like nothing is overlooked when I see them. Dr. Welch performed sinus surgery on me last year and I haven't had an infection since surgery!!! It's so great to be healthy again. I would recommend him to anyone who has sinus problems!
Hi, Stacey. Thanks so much for the great review; I'm glad things are going well for you.
in Chicago, IL |
I have been Dr. Welch's patient for about 3 years. When he left Loyola, I left with him. He salvaged my sinuses back then and they continue to feel so much better than ever before. He came highly recommended and I highly recommend him. GC
George, always happy to see you. Keep doing those irrigations!
Chicago, IL |
Came to Dr. Welch with the expectation of being heard out and thoroughly evaluated. Felt as though he was almost mocking me from the start. He didn't seem to want to actually listen to what I was telling him (had to keep correcting him about my symptoms numerous times), and he spoke to me in a concerningly condescending way. He offered virtually no helpful suggestions for alleviating my symptoms. I have never been treated that way by a doctor and wouldn't wish it on anybody else.
I'm sorry this was such a terrible experience for you. I spent a total of 45 min with this patient, including a very thorough history & evaluation. I kept asking the patient to repeat the symptoms, because the symptoms and the findings were not making sense. I reviewed scans. I performed a new scan. I performed endoscopy. This patient has mild sinusitis, but it was not the cause of the symptoms. Much of the encounter was spent trying to convey this. Patient has seen many doctors for this.
Oak Park, IL |
I have Sampter's Triad and have been battling sinus problems and polyps for most of my life. I've had 7 operations, 2 of them with Dr. Welch. It seems as though I was having surgery every year or two after I was diagnosed. I started seeing Dr. Welch at Loyola where he did my first surgery and did a revision about 6 years later, and that's the longest I've ever gone between surgeries! Dr. Welch has done a masterful job all around doing my surgeries and managing my medications.
in Chicago, IL |
I have been a patient of Dr. Welch from end of 2015 till mid 2016 for treatment of silent sinus syndrome. It was determined that endoscopic sinus surgery be done to alleviate the enophthalmos. As such, he performed the surgery as well as the several follow-up care visitations. Dr. Kevin Welch is an excellent medical practitioner. I was describe him as no nonsense, extremely precise in disposition and very experienced in his speciality. His care staff, notable, Elizabeth Stanton was great too.
Thanks for the positive review, David! Elizabeth and I are glad you are feeling better.
Reassuring and helpful
in Chicago IL |
Years of sinus probablems gone with a couple courses of antibiotics and a pretty routine surgery. I had a balloon surgery over a year ago with another doctor that left me with a $2000 bill and no results. Not this time. I noticed a difference right away. Very pleased.
Thanks for the review, Jim! I'm glad you are enjoying things again.
in Skokie, IL |
Effective care. After a couple courses of antibiotics and steroids, my sinus infections are gone now. He explained that this may be an ongoing problem for me, but so far my sinuses haven't returned. Will be sending my husband as well.
Thanks for the great review, Berrylin! Glad you are feeling better. Your husband is a trip!
in Chicago, IL |
I had surgery in 2015 to fix my sinus infections. Instead of fixing them the surgery made them worse. i got another opinion from Dr Welch who scoped me and pointed out a bunch of areas that were scarred up and was told there were even several sinuses that hadnt even been opened at all! Surgery wasn't exactly fun, but after a few weeks I noticed great improvements. Its been about 6 months now and my return visit showed that my sinuses were clear. I feel great and can even smell things again.
Thanks, Remy! Glad you are feeling better. Enjoy the smell and taste!
Chicago, IL |
Charged as new patient though I had been to this office before and was told I could see anyone when making my appointment. Spent very little time with me or addressing my concerns. Performed expensive test yet didn't provide me any relief of my symptoms.
This patient had not been seen in the practice for greater than 3yr; any patient not seen within 3yr is a "new" patient from a billing perspective. Patient signed a consent form for the "test," which was endoscopy. Patient even asked if I was going to perform "31231," which is the procedural code. Patient had ample time alone (while numbing up) to consider whether to have the scope. Was able to determine that patient did not have any condition I treat. Appropriate referrals were given.
in Chicago, IL |
Dr. Welch is completely unqualified regardless of his education. I would NEVER recommend him to anyone!
I wish I knew who left this comment because s/he is obviously upset. If you wrote this and would like to discuss your visit, please call 312-695-8182.
Have you seen Dr. Kevin Welch, MD?

Visit Dr. Welch

Dr. Welch accepts 13 insurance carriers
    Aetna POS
    Aetna PPO
  • Beech Street (Multiplan)
    Blue Advantage PPO