Dr. Kevin Speer, MD

Dr. Kevin Speer, MD

Orthopedic Surgery | Male

Southeastern Orthopedics Shoulder Center 3404 Wake Forest Rd Ste 201, Raleigh, NC 27609 Get Directions

I was one of the first two fellowship trained North Carolina shoulder specialists when I began my practice at Duke in 1992. My career over the past 23 years has focused on shoulder care and shoulder surgery. My practice focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of patients with all types of shoulder pain. All available resources are considered in improving the patient's symptoms and function without having to operate. But many patients need anatomic restoration of the shoulder to enable them the clinical improvement they seek. My practice Southeastern Orthopedics Shoulder Center is now an affiliate of Duke Medicine. Unlike many practices I personally see and evaluate all patients during each of their visits. We try to personalize the care for all patients because even though we see many shoulders it is paramount to state that every person's shoulder problem is different. Every person is different. We take pride in our pain management strategies for patients who have shoulder surgery. Our anesthesiologists are terrific with nerve blocks and we use multimodal strategies including cryotherapy to diminish the postoperative pain and improve overall the patients perioperative experience.Read more

Dr. Speer's Experience

See how Dr. Speer's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Speer

Dr. Speer accepts 24 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 2 hospitals where Dr. Speer has admitting privileges.

Dr. Speer's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Speer to family and friends
4.1
Dr. Speer's Performance
in Wasilla, Alaska |
Excellent surgeon. Dr. Speer replaced my husband's left shoulder in February. He had more pain before the surgery than afterward. He has progressed amazingly well. My husband will return in October to have Dr. Speer replace his left shoulder. Highly recommend him.
in Raleigh NC |
Extremely professional and knowledgeable. I had a great experience and a quick recovery. Dr Speer is direct and informative. His staff is friendly and caring, ensuring to address any questions/concerns. I highly recommend....
in Wilson, NC |
Dr. Speer is the absolute best. I had a 'massive' tear in my rotator cuff, and a detached bicep. Told I'd be lucky to comb my hair again, not so. I'm now playing tennis again!!! Very professional, day of surgery was absolutely the best. He's very polite, you'll see him every visit except the pre-surgery appointment, actually removes stitches himself! If you're in need of shoulder surgery, and want prompt, professional, no nonsense service, Dr. Kevin Speer is the man to see.
in Gaston,NC |
I was extremely pleased with my results after my surgery. Thank you Dr Speer and staff for making a painful situation as good as it could be.
in Pinehurst, NC |
Dr. Speer explains clearly the diagnosis; the recommended course of action and your options; and the prognosis........we find him to be straight forward, thorough, and precise. I would highly recommend Dr. Speer to anyone having shoulder issues. We have had 2 shoulder surgeries performed by Dr, Speer, both were successful. His staff is very professional, and the post op follow up is exacting. I have full trust in this gentleman.
in Spring Hope, NC |
first of all dr. speer was highly recommended by pre surgery staff when I had a procedure done 2 yrs ago. I had a total shoulder replacement on 3-21-16. on my first dr visit 2 weeks after surgery I was surprised at how well I was doing. I am using dr speer's therapist and that also is going very well. I might add that I followed drs instructions exactly. I would highly recommend dr speer's and his staff for anything you need done to your shoulder.
New York, NY |
Originally went to Dr. Speer for a second opinion after being told I needed a full shoulder replacement. He assured me that he could repair the problem with arthroscopic surgery. It was successful and I returned to yoga within 8 weeks. Two years later returned to Dr. Speer with opposite shoulder problem. Did not hesitate and feel second shoulder surgery is progressing well. He explains and answers questions. You see him before you enter surgery and right after he has finished. He is excellent.
in Middlesex,nc |
A great doctor with a caring bedside manner. Always explained everything and answers any questions we have. Wonderful!
Have you seen Dr. Kevin Speer, MD?
Are you Dr. Speer?

Compare Dr. Speer

Dr. Speer's Care Philosophy

Dr. Speer's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery
  •  Board certified in Orthopedic Surgery

Dr. Speer has no media or publications listed.

No malpractice history found for North Carolina.

Why It Matters: Dr. Speer's Board Certifications

• Gout
  • Internal Derangement of Knee
  • Knee Dislocation
  • Knee Sprain
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Lupus
  • Muscular Dystrophy (MD)
  • Non-Unions and Malunions of Fractures

Duke University Medical Center

Completed in 1991

The Hospital For Special Surgery

Completed in 1992

Dr. Speer does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Speer and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• All Shoulder or Elbow Replacement Procedures