Dr. Kevin Shea, MD

Dr. Shea
Telehealth services available

UConn Musculoskeletal Institute

263 Farmington Ave Farmington, CT 06032

Dr. Kevin Shea, MD is a Sports Medicine Specialist in Farmington, CT and has over 38 years of experience in the medical field. He graduated from University of Michigan Medical School medical school in 1982. He is affiliated with Uconn John Dempsey Hospital. He is accepting new patients and has indicated that he accepts telehealth appointments. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Shea to book an appointment.

Dr. Shea's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Shea

3.7

Dr. Shea?
  • Staff friendliness (36)
  • Office environment (35)
  • Appointment scheduling (29)
  • Long wait times (29)
  • Didn't listen or answer questions (15)
  • Appointment was rushed (14)
I had rotator cuff and torn bicep surgery on my left shoulder on 1-20-20. He made it very clear that the rehab could be 6 months or longer. I'm 6 months and 1 week into the surgery and I could not be more pleased with his surgical skills and professionism of the office staff. I'm probably 90% of a complete recovery at 65 years old. Biking and going to the gym 7 days a week and playing golf again. The combination of a great surgeon and dedicated rehab has clearly provided a great recovery. I would recommend him to anyone in need of this type of surgery.
Ralph Passaro – Aug 03, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kevin Shea, MD?
Dr. Shea is a most skilled and respected doctor. He's the doctor other doctors learn from. He has performed 6 surgeries on my husband over the last 25 years and the outcomes always excede expectations. Maybe some reviewers don't care for his sense of humor or his no nonsense approach (we adore him)but his skill is unmatched. His staff, which most have been with him for at least 20 years, is a testament to what type of man he is. Wonderful doctor, second to none.
Diana – Aug 01, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kevin Shea, MD?
This was the worst experience I have every had with a Dr. He could have cared less about what I thought or wanted. I went to him to do rotator cuff surgery and he didn't tell me until I was being discharged (4 months later) that he couldn't connect it correctly because "he didn't have the right materials." He implied that because I was a mid-life female and didn't play sports it didn't really make a difference! I can't even raise a glass to my mouth!
Jun 20, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kevin Shea, MD?
Dr Shea did a Total Left Shoulder Replacement in June 2018 and a Total Right Shoulder REVERSE Replacement in August 2019. I could not be more pleased with my results.
Bill Ducci – Jun 15, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kevin Shea, MD?
The staff was WONDERFUL! The doctor was HORRIBLE. I am not one to go out of my way to leave reviews but I must say that this doctor was one of the rudest doctors I’ve ever met. He made it clear he could care less about why I was there in the first place and had better things to be doing. He is completely lacking in bedside manner. Cut me off while talking consistently. Didn’t let me explain anything and treated me like I was worth less then trash. I couldn’t agree more with all these one star reviews. He wasn’t just a man who clearly hates his job, he was not kind man at all. Not even a little bit. He made it very clear that he works for the insurance side of things and wants nothing to do with patients. He continuously asked me questions and then interrupted me mid sentence and never heard my answer to begin with. I have never had such a bad doctor. If he hates his job that much he kind as well retire.
May 20, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kevin Shea, MD?
I was a patient of Dr Shea a couple of years ago for a severe pain in my left shoulder, I do remember him having a bad bedside manner but since he did the job to alleviate my shoulder pain with a cortisone shot I overlooked the lacking. I recently was in a serious motor vehicle accident & ! among other injuries have been suffering with right shoulder pain, I came back to see him for an evaluation ( i am of the mind that a health care professional who is good at what they do in the medical sense is first & foremost. Not only did he measure up to my memory of him lacking in bedside manner, he was also rude to me, cutting me off when I tried to explain “anything” about my discomfort when I was going to show him the picture of the trauma I sustained to my shoulder , he rudely said, I don’t need to see pictures” just tell where it hurts e entire visit he treated me as if he had somewhere better to be I am embarrassed to say i began to cry. I can not believe he is so rude and condescending
Feb 28, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kevin Shea, MD?
This was the most miserable experience I have had so far in any medical facility. This Dr made a determination within the first 10 seconds of seeing me. Stating he cannot help me (he did not bother to look at the MRI) , That there was "nothing " wrong (despite the results of the MRI) and then made a follow up appointment. He was rude, in a hurry, bedside manner non existent and does not seem to care about his patients at all. I really wish I read reviews before I went to see him. If you want results please do not see this Dr.
michele moore – Jan 21, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kevin Shea, MD?
Dr. Shea was terrific. Had to meet him with a fractured collar bone. He was very reassuring during follow up visits making me feel great about the entire ordeal. Thank you Dr. Shea.
Aug 05, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kevin Shea, MD?
Friendly staff and knowledgeable, meticulous surgent. He got me back to 100% quickly and being past 50 I'm just not healing as fast as I use to. The rotator and bicep surgery got me back to 100% inside of 4 months. I can't be happier with the entire process... Thank you.
John in Plainville, CT – Sep 28, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kevin Shea, MD?
I have never been treated so rudely by a doctor. I was in tears after my appointment. I believe the disparity in reviews is because he discriminates against average women. Don't see him if you're not an athlete. Although the staff was nice and scheduling was good, I'm rating one star in every category so as not to skew the final rating. Heeding his advice caused me six extra weeks of pain until I saw a doctor who cared.
  • Difficult to schedule appointment
  • Staff wasn't friendly
  • Appointment was rushed
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
  • Didn't explain conditions well
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
Sue in CT – Sep 20, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kevin Shea, MD?
Dr. Shea is phenomenal from any point of view. Explanations, warnings, forecasts, he does everything for you to understand all pros and cons of your possible procedure and its consequence, so that your decision would be the most educated one. After 14 months of very complex repair of full rotator cuff tears, my shoulder works and feels as 50 years ago (no push ups though).
Vladislav Zalevsky in CT – Aug 05, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kevin Shea, MD?
Dr. Shea performed medial meniscus surgery on my right knee in February of 2018. Everything has went exactly has he told me it would. Most importantly, I had issues with insurance not wanting to cover the surgery. Dr. Shea worked very hard for me to make sure the surgery did happen. Everyone at Dr. Shea's office was a pleasure to work with. I would highly recommend Dr. Shea and his staff.
Kim D. Sonstroem in Farmington, CT. 06032 – Apr 09, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kevin Shea, MD?
Dr Shea has treated me twice over the years for problems resulting from severe osteoarthritis. He explains what the problem is and ways to resolve it. He is very thorough in his evaluation.. He is personable and never condescending. I now have full range of motion and am pain-free following a shoulder replacement and a rotator cuff repair on the same shoulder. I have and continue to highly recommend him.
Mary in SOUTH WINDSOR, CT – Dec 21, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kevin Shea, MD?
Have had Dr. Shea perform two shoulder surgeries and couldn't be more satisfied. First a rotator cuff repair and then an AC joint procedure. He takes the time to explain his diagnosis, procedure and follow-up. I now have nearly complete range of motion after only 4 weeks after the last surgery. I expect complete recovery in a few more weeks. Dr. Shea's support team is first rate. Always friendly, professional and a pleasure to work with. I highly recommend Dr. Shea.
James Cashman in Canto, CT – Sep 25, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kevin Shea, MD?
Dr. Shea is very knowledgeable in his field. He takes the the time make sure you understand all your options as far as your treatment goes. I highly recommend him to anyone suffering shoulder and knee problems.
Waterbury, CT – Mar 28, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kevin Shea, MD?
I had rotator cuff surgery on December 16, 2016, performed by Dr Shea of UCONN Musculoskeletal Institute. The horror stories I heard from friends about this procedure had me laid up 6 months to a year. My surgery went very well and with time and physical therapy, I was 85% back with full range of motion and good strength in 10 weeks. My experience at the UCONN Health Center was excellent and I have no complaints which speaks for itself because I hate everybody. Thanks for a job well done
James D. Lawson in Cheshire, CT – Mar 14, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kevin Shea, MD?
I was told by my orthopaedic doctor, that Dr. Kevin Shea was the best shoulder doctor in Connecticut. I saw Dr. Shea in July and he felt that surgery would really help me. He wanted to know what I wanted from the surgery. I told him I wanted to be able to do things my way without help. Now, I have mobility I didn't have prior to the surgery and its wonderful. I would recommend him as one of the best if not the best shoulder doctor in Connecticut. Thank you Dr. Shea for everything.
Kathy in Simsbury, CT – Feb 02, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kevin Shea, MD?
He's my favorite an all around great Dr.
Bloomfield, CT – Nov 29, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kevin Shea, MD?
I am IN AWE of Dr. Shea - and his staff. They are punctual to a fault. They spend whatever time you need with you. And they are friendly and VERY supportive. Dr. Shea himself is a master. I had a total shoulder replacement 4-7-16. Two weeks later, my physical therapist could not believe what shape my shoulder was in. He even bragged about me - and Dr. Shea - all over the department. I continue to make an astonishing recovery. I am in Dr. Shea's debt - I have my life back!
Tracy C in Sharon, CT – Jun 16, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kevin Shea, MD?
I was recommended to Dr. Shea by my original Orthepaedic. While telling me he was the best, he warned me I might hear contrary opinions, but they were not true. In 3 years I have had 5 surgeries by Dr. Shea, and he is the BEST! I had a complicated shoulder that for no fault of the good Dr. was not responsive to the repairs. But through many discussions with Dr. Shea, we pursued the next step. Finally the Reverse Replacement has the answer! I highly recommend Dr. Shea!
DMW in Granby, CT – May 06, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kevin Shea, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Shea?

Dr. Kevin Shea is a professor in the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery at UConn Health. He has served as a team physician for the Hartford Whalers professional ice hockey team, the UConn varsity athletic teams, Trinity College, and for several local ...Read more

• Sports Medicine