Dr. Kevin Karikomi, DO

Dr. Kevin Karikomi, DO

Dermatology  |

Dr. Kevin Karikomi, DO is a dermatology doctor who practices in Westerville, OH. He is 66 years old and has been practicing for 44 years. Read his story

Westerville Dermatology Laser & Rejuvenation Center

235 W Schrock Rd

Westerville, OH 43081

• Golden Rule
  • Medical Mutual of Ohio
  • NGS CoreSource

Learn about Dr. Karikomi

See how frequently Dr. Karikomi performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Scabies
Itchy Skin
Skin Infections

Dr. Karikomi's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. Karikomi's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Karikomi "As a first year medicine resident, pursuing a career in hematology/oncology, I became fascinated with skin conditions with internal involvement, especially those with life threatening or severe disease associations. One night while on call, I admitted a woman who had scleroderma with ‘beaked’ nose, bound down skin, struggling for her life. As I listened to her story. I was moved by her suffering from this condition and dread while desperately managing her rapidly deteriorating condition. Days later, I was saddened to hear about her death from lung complications. My first two months I managed patients in ICU/CCU. After an exhausting day, I recall saying to my wife I don’t think I can or want to do this, medicine as a specialty. With her support, I applied for a dermatology residency, not once but three times. When Lyme Disease was first published, I was a third year medicine resident on rotation at Ohio State dermatology. I was excited to give a lecture on this new condition to the Director, Dr.Lowney and residents who were unaware of this tick borne illness. Early recognition of the characteristic/diagnostic rash is imperative so prompt treatment may prevent a patient from developing serious heart problems, joint and neurologic complications. Unable to accept me for a position, Dr. Lowney wrote a letter of recommendation to his friend and colleague, Dr. Ken Hashimoto who recently became Chairman of the Department of Dermatology at Wayne State University in Detroit Michigan, an hour from my hometown of Webberville. I was thrilled (he was internationally known expert in pathology and electron microscopy) and hopeful that I might have a greater chance of acceptance with our mutual Japanese heritage. To help bolster my application, I arranged an elective as an outside medicine resident few months before I would graduate as an internist. When I arrived on my first day of clinic, Eleanor, his secretary was surprised, bewildered, since it was against policy to allow medicine residents outside of their institution (over 200 residents were given first dibs). Later, I found out Virginia, the department secretary had somehow granted by request). As I sat there wondering, Dr. Hashimoto’s voice broke through the intercom, “Ask Dr. Karikomi to come in.” As I walked into his office, he chuckled, “I thought you were Greek!” What irony! This brilliant first born Japanese physician who spoke seven languages, thought my name (apparently a rare Japanese name) was Greek! During the interview, as a department chair who loved research, he asked if I would be interested in research. I did mention that I would be, not sure what this meant or required. Before I left the interview, he accepted me for a nonfunded residency position beginning the following year. If I wasn’t accepted this go around (with a wife and young son to take care of), I would accept a fellowship at University of Michigan in gastroenterology. Naturally, I was shocked and ecstatic, answer to prayers! So after I finished residency, my family and I left Columbus and moved to Michigan where I would work as emergency room director with the goal to save as much money as we could. Dr. Hashimoto elected me as co-chief resident at the end of my second year. He mentioned I know enough now and he would like me to spend my third year doing research in addition to the duties of chief resident. I appreciated the encouragement, but I didn’t think I could do both (his research team tirelessly worked into late evening). I enjoy ballroom dancing, cycling, cooking and reading. I was inspirited by Dancing with the Stars (while I was rehabbing my shoulder). The highlight and culmination was performing at the Ohio Star Ball. I enjoy the intricate dance relationship as leader with follower, very engaging, scintillating and romantic. I started to cycle because of Pelotonia, raising money for cancer research and breakthrough treatments.I enjoy hanging out with friends and family. I enjoy traveling to the West Coast seeing two sons and grandson.I enjoy cheering, hoping for that win against the Buckeyes for Michigan football."

This content was provided by Dr. Karikomi Our Physicians and Staff are dedicated to provide the highest quality dermatologic and surgical care with compassion and concern for patient well-being.

• Dermatology

• Age Spots
  • Allergic Reaction
  • Alopecia Areata
  • Athlete's Foot
  • Atopic Dermatitis (Eczema)
  • Basal Cell Carcinoma
  • Itchy Skin
  • Keloid Scar
  • Lichen Planus
  • Melanoma
  • Moles (Benign Skin Lesions)
  • Parapsoriasis

• Mole Evaluation
  • Phototherapy
  • Shaving of Skin Lesion
  • Skin Tag Removal

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Ohio.

• MI STATE UNIV COLL OF OSTEO MED
    Medical School | Graduated 1973
  • Detroit Osteo Hosp
    Internship Hospital | Completed
  • Doctors Hosp
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1981
  • Wayne State University
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1985

Dr. Karikomi has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Karikomi does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Karikomi and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Karikomi's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Karikomi to family and friends
Dr. Karikomi's Performance
in Reynoldsburg, OH |
Unfortunately, Dr Kevin Karikomi stopped treating my condition before healing it. His front staff were gatekeepers. I was given reasons that insulted even my moderate intelligence. I was always paying cash without questions. The lack of truthful answer why my cash is no good there, anymore, is the most bothersome.
in Columbus, OH |
I was very disappointed in his professionalism and they way he treated his staff members. After deciding to be seen by his PA-C instead of him, his office manager called me and told me I would be unable to see his PA-C. She told me that it was brought to his attention that I was on her schedule. My appointment was at 1:10pm and I received that call at 1:00pm, as I was parked in there parking lot. I did not feel that I was treated properly. I would not recommend anyone put their life in his hands
Lewis Center, OH |
He once performed a procedure on my bottom lip. When I had my follow up he wasn't happy with the results. He told me to come back for the same procedure at no cost, he also told me not to tell any one. I know he was concerned he hadn't done an adequate job the first time. He is a HACK, no matter what he is always taking something off, too concerned about his net worth. Since my last visit 7 yrs ago, I have heard nothing good about him.
Columbus, OH |
Very disappointing.
in Columbus, OH |
I have been seeing Dr. Karikomi since 2003. He is outstanding!!
Have you seen Dr. Kevin Karikomi, DO?

Visit Dr. Karikomi