Dr. Kevin Bonner, MD

Dr. Kevin Bonner, MD

Sports Medicine | Male

Jordan-Young Institute 5716 Cleveland St Ste 200 Virginia Beach VA 23462 Get Directions

According to Dr. Bonner, the inherent privilege of practicing medicine is the incessant challenge to acquire and synthesize ever-expanding information and evidence. An integral responsibility of being a physician and a surgeon is staying at the top of your game, whether in the office or the operating room setting. He also believes you truly need to treat your patients like they are family and friends. When it comes to surgical interventions, Dr. Bonner stresses that vetting new procedures based on scientific methodology and not commercial hype is an important component to his responsibility as a physician.

Prior to joining the Jordan-Young Institute, Dr. Bonner served as an Orthopedic Surgeon in the U.S. Navy for four years until he left as a Lieutenant Commander in 2002. During his tenure, Dr. Bonner was Chief of Sports Medicine at Portsmouth Naval Hospital as well as the Team Physician for the U.S. Navy Seals.  He is a former Division 1 Baseball player who now takes care of many of the regions elite athletes from high school through the professional level. He is the official team physician for the Old Dominion University Wrestling Team, Women's Soccer Team, and Baseball Team. Dr. Bonner serves as faculty and lectures at Orthopedic Conferences both in the US and internationally.  He has written numerous articles and medical textbook chapters on topics including arthroscopic shoulder surgery, meniscus repair & transplantation, articular cartilage treatment & repair, osteochondral transplantation, ligament reconstruction of the knee, and the ethics of stem cells and other biologic treatments.

Dr. Bonner's Experience

See how Dr. Bonner's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Bonner

Dr. Bonner accepts 7 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 1 hospitals where Dr. Bonner has admitting privileges.

Dr. Bonner's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Bonner to family and friends
Dr. Bonner's Performance
in Virginia Beach, VA |
I had rotator cuff surgery with Dr. Bonner in December, 2016, and the entire experience couldn't have been better. His assistants, nurses, and staff were all excellent, and I would recommend that anyone experiencing shoulder problems to see Dr. Bonner.
Virginia Beach, VA |
Dr. Bonner and his staff are professional and friendly. They will take time to answer your questions and ensure you are fully informed. I would recommend them to anyone looking for excellent orthopedic care!
in Chesapeake, VA |
I was injured in a car accident, Dr. Bonner was recommended by several of my customers. I looked up the practice to get a better understanding and read the reviews. I found myself scheduled for a consultation with Dr. Bonner. I really liked how professional the office was and the way the visit flowed. I met with Dr. Bonner and felt like he truly listened to my concerns. I ended up having surgery and felt I was in good hands through the entire experience. Sabrenia Gill, his P.A is fabulous.
in Chesapeake, VA |
My visit with Dr. Bonner was pleasant and his staff were kind and professional. I was experiencing severe pain in my right shoulder and it was keeping me awake at night. After having an MRI it was discovered that my rotator cuff was torn and my bi-cep tendon was shredded. DR. Bonner and Sabrina explained to me what had to be done to repair my shoulder in layman terms, so I knew what to expect. Surgery went well and my shoulder is better than new. As a Firefighter this was a must. Thanks
Secaucus, NJ |
Dr. Bonner is experienced and knowledgeable. He truly cares that his patients will be pain free after treatment, and will return to a healthy, fully functioning life.
in Norfolk, VA |
I will recommend Dr. Bonner to anyone who asks. Both my husband and I have been treated by Dr. Bonner. He was very detailed in his explanations of our conditions and of how he was going to treat them. - we trust him totally! Sabrenia Gill was my P.A. - she was fantastic as well! (Dr. Bonner's PA when my husband was treated is no longer with them - but she was fantastic as well) If you are having shoulder issues, I would strogly recommend Dr. Bonner and his staff
in virginia beach, va |
I've already told many of my friends that Dr. Bonner and his team are THE cream of the crop. I didn't anticipate the quality of care I received. My questions were answered and my concerns thoroughly addressed. Surgery was precisely what I was told The follow up care was outstanding. I was seen regularly. My physical therapist's input in terms of my progress was seriously considered. I could write volumes about the gracious and professional care I received. They're the best of the best.
in Chesapeake, VA |
Dr. Bonner, with the assistance of Sabrenia Gill, removed a large fatty tumor from my shoulder, bone spurs, inflamation on the bicep muscle and did rotator cuff work. Prior to surgery, I was told I would be down for two to three months. Six weeks after, I was playing golf. Dr. Bonner and Sabrenia have been blessed with a special God-given talent.They are down-to-earth professionals, very patient and thorough in dealing with their patients. I would recommend Dr. Bonner and Sabrenia to anyone.
in Chesapeake, VA |
Dr. Bonner and his staff were superlative in every respect for my surgery to the shoulder. The little bit of additional time spent waiting in the waiting room was rewarded with professionalism and on-point diagnosis. You cannot go wrong! I was out of physical therapy in minimum time because of the way the surgery was carried out.
in Franklin, VA |
Dr. Bonner and his excellent staff restored my shoulders (one in 2014, the other one in 2016) to COMPLETE functionality! I couldn't have asked for better results! Thank you Dr. Bonner and Sabrenia Gill, you both are the best of the best!
Virginia Beach, VA |
Dr. Bonner was so fantastic. His bedside manner is great and unlike other doctors he doesn't seem to be rushing you out of his office. I really appreciated the time and care he took to dive deep into my medical issues to diagnose the problem. I had 3 surgeries prior with other doctors and none of those relieved my knee pain, but one surgery with Dr. Bonner seems to have done the trick. Also, his PA Sabrina was super! I can't thank them both enough!
in Manteo, NC |
I completely recommend Dr. Bonner & Sabrenia Gill! I cannot say enough positive comments about the level of service I received. It is certainly worth the drive to VA Beach from the OBX, where I live. Both are superstars and treated me as if I was their only patient, taking all the time that was needed to address any questions I had. My procedure and recovery went exactly as planned and I am forever grateful for their knowledge, skill and compassion.
in Norfolk, VA |
Dr. Bonner is an amazing surgeon! Compassionate and thorough! Performed a procedure with my elbow and did an amazing job! This is one Physician that I would highly recommend for Orthopedics!
in Virginia Beach, VA |
Dr. Bonner has performed two knee surgeries on my 17 year old daughter (ACL both knees) and we couldn't be more pleased with the results as well as the care we received throughout the entire process. He and Sabrina are extremely patient, very detail oriented and never rush us through appointments. They stay "on top" of all the latest research, are extremely knowledgeable and always willing to share their knowledge. Dr. Bonner is the best and we would (and have) recommend him to others.
in Virginia Beach, VA |
Thorough explanations on diagnosis of rotater-cuff tear, advance explanation of surgical repairs, treatment on day of surgery, strong ongoing coordination with physical therapy and other post-operative support
in Norfolk, VA |
Dr. Bonner came highly recommended by friends and family . Surgery on shoulder rotator cuff was not desired ,but was the best solution based on what was the problem . Dr Bonner 's experience and confidence, helped me make my decision.. He and his team of pros made for a seamless experience. After physical therapy . I am very pleased.
in Virginia Beach, VA |
After rotator cuff surgery I am back to sleeping pain free and am once again enjoying activities like swimming, weight training and pickleball.
Norfolk, VA |
Dr Bonner is an outstanding practitioner. His first instinct is to suggest all interventions with surgery option of last resort. Has kept my shoulders going for over 15 years. He is The Man as far as I am concerned. Highly recommend.
in Virginia Beach |
Dr Bonner is outstanding in all respects!! A tremendous doctor/surgeon, terrific bedside manner and a dedicated staff, especially Sabrenia, who treat people with respect and provide courteous service throughout the entire treatment process. Dr Bonner works hard to provide proper treatment without surgery. I went through extensive physical therapy and injection treatment before deciding on surgery. He is the best!!
in Kill Devil Hills, NC |
I met Dr.Bonner true Dr. Hirsch from the hand center.just let me say .he is a great and his staff. Sabrina.head my rotator cuff repaired ,it has been 6 and a half month .feel good no pain >he is very attentive and he truly cares for his patients .I would highly recommend hem
in Virginia Beach, VA |
Dr Bonner did surgery for a severe rotator cuff injury on June 12th 2016. Everything from the initial consultation,thru surgery,and post op.care was excellent . I would be very happy to use him and Jordan Young in future should that be necessary.
in Kitty Hawk, N.C. |
Extremely professional,and excellent services.
in Virginia Beach, VA |
My son was seen at Jordan Young Institute by Dr. Bonner several times due to a shoulder injury that needed surgery. Dr. Bonner was phenomenal! He's extremely busy, but never seemed rushed, was very patient with us, answered our questions fully and was so caring! The surgery went very smoothly - the entire team worked like a well-oiled machine. Post op visits were done by Sabrenia, physician assistant. She was outstanding! She was very knowledgeable, very caring and dedicated to her profession!
in Virginia Beach, VA |
Dr Bonner is the best Shoulder Surgeon in VA. He has great bad side manner and doesn't rush . He accesses the entire patient not just the problem at hand. His staff incredible . On May 6, 2016 he preformed a multi tear Rotator Cuff surgery on my Life Partner Burl. He explained that since the tears were so bad that in good conscience he could not give it a 100% success . Well it's been 6 months and it is 100%. Dr Bonner and PA Melissa your the best! Thank you for believing in your skills.
in Chesapeake, VA |
His skill and professionalism is unsurpassed. Despite being anxious about the surgery and recovery, he made me feel I was getting the best care possible.
in Norfolk, VA |
Dr. Bonner and Sabrinia Gill were wonderful. Both took the time to explain ( in great detail) what was going on with my shoulder and the type of surgery I would require. My surgery was a success, and so was my recovery! I am so grateful he was recommended to me!
in Virginia Beach, VA |
Thank you Dr. Bonner for taking care of me and my family any time I call with on orthopedic issue. I always recommend you to others. You saved my sons athletic career.
Norfolk, VA |
I had two shoulder surgeries with Dr. Bonner within a 28 month period. Everything about him and the surgeries was professional and my quality of life is much better because of him and his PA, Sabrina Gill. He tried to help me avoid surgery, however, when it became inevitable he did not sugar coat the fact that surgery was necessary and it was scheduled in a timely manner and I felt informed and confident at all times. I am thankful that Dr. Bonner was my surgeon and highly recommend him.
in Chesapeake, VA |
I learned of Dr Bonner when he repaired my daughter's ACL, and was so impressed with him and the staff. When it came time for my rotator cuff repair, I wanted no other surgeon to even look at me. He keeps up on the latest techniques, is very thorough, and although he is very busy, takes the time to make you feel as if you are his number one priority. I would not think of hesitating in my recommendation of Dr. Bonner.
in Virginia Beach, VA |
Dr. Bonner is the best! I had urgent MPFL reconstruction surgery on my right knee and he fit me in right away (within a weekend!). He is the nicest guy around and really cares about the whole person. I'm so thankful he did my surgery. Each pre and post operation appointments went smoothly with his accommodating staff and warm atmosphere. I 100% recommend him.
in Virginia Beach, VA |
Dr. Bonner came highly recommended to me and for good reason. He was very thorough and took all the time necessary to explain all my options for ACL surgery. His assistant, Sabrenia Gill was also wonderful. My surgery and recovery were a breeze. I had very little pain and now less than 5 months after surgery you have to look hard to find the scars. Wait time at all my pre surgery and follow up appointments was very minimal. I would highly recommend Dr. Bonner and his assistant to anyone.
in Chesapeake, VA |
Dr. Bonner was highly recommend by my primary care physician and physical therapist and with good reason. He is not only highly skilled technically, but is friendly, caring and takes as much time as necessary to speak with you. I also appreciated the time he took after my surgery to explain to my husband everything he had to do in a way my husband could understand.
in Norfolk, VA |
I have been with me for four shoulder surgeries and each time I was very pleased with the professional work he did and my fast recovery time. Also his staff is number one in my book especially his PA MS. Gill. They both work well together both in the office and in the operating room.
Norfolk, VA |
Excellent surgeon. Rotator cuff surgery. Well organized, knowledgable, excellent results.
in Virginia Beach, VA |
Chronically long wait times that average between 90 minutes and 2 1/2 hours after your scheduled appointment are all you remember from your seeing Bonner. This is the case even with morning appointments where an 11:20AM appointment leads to you being seen by Bonner mid afternoon. When you tell them you are leaving after 2 hrs. the staff will insist that you were next and about to be taken. Wait times in an examining room average an additional hour. Only a retiree can afford to wait out the delay
in Chesapeake |
Very professional, I have been very athletic my entire life and all of sudden I rupture my patella tendon. One of the worst knee injuries you can get. Dr. Bonner and his staff reassured me that life wasn't over. He kept me positive and told me with hard work I could be back out there playing again. I gained about 95 to 98 percent of my range motion back. From no movement to upper 90 percentile I would say that is pretty successful. I would suggest him to anyone considering knee surgery.
Have you seen Dr. Kevin Bonner, MD?
Are you Dr. Bonner?

Compare Dr. Bonner

Dr. Bonner says...

Dr. Bonner's Care Philosophy

Dr. Bonner says...

Dr. Bonner is principally focused on the treatment of problems prior to joint replacement surgery.  Whether it's an injury to an elite athlete or an older individual who simply cannot get a good night's sleep due to a rotator cuff tear, patients can be confident that they will be treated with the most modern, verified techniques.

Dr. Bonner's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Sports Medicine
  •  Board certified in Orthopaedic Sports Medicine, Orthopedic Surgery and Sports Medicine

• Best Orthopedic Surgeon” Hampton Roads Magazine, 2008-2013
    • Best Doctors in America, 2015-2016
    • US News & World Report “Top Doctors”, 2011
    • Castle Connolly Top Doctor, 2011
    • Top Doctors for Men” Hampton Roads Magazine, 2013
    • Top Doctors” Hampton Roads Magazine, July 2009, July 2010, Sept 2011, Aug 2012, Aug 2013
    • “Guide to America’s Top Surgeons” Consumers’ Research Council of America, 2016
    • “America’s Top Orthopedists” Consumers’ Research Council of America, 2007-2014
    • “Top Doctors” Coastal Virginia Magazine, 2014-2016
    • Tompkins M, Hamann JC, Diduch DR, Bonner KF, Hart JM, Gwathmey FW, Milewski MD, Gaskin CM Arthroscopy. Vol 29(10): Oct 2013: 1661-1670., Oct 2013
    • Inside-out Meniscus Repair. Arthroscopy Techniques Vol 2: Issue 4: e453-460., 2013: Vol 2
    • Two Techniques for Anterior Cruciate Ligament Tibial Fixation With a Bicortical Screw, 2006
    • Two-year post-operative evaluation of a patient with a symptomatic full-thickness patellar defect repaired with particulated juvenile cartilage tissue. J of Knee Surgery, October 2010, 109-114, 2010
    • An Alternative Technique to Avoid Injury to the Medial Femoral Condyle when Reaming the Femoral Tunnel during ACL Reconstruction:Arthroscopy Techniques, 2016
    • New and Emerging Techniques in Cartilage Repair, 2013:21:82
    • Repair of SLAP lesions associated with a Buford complex: a novel surgical technique. Arthroscopy 27(3):314-21., 2011
    • Impact of Hamstring Graft Diameter on Tendon Strength: A Biomechanical Study; Arthroscopy; Vol 31 (6): Apr 2015;1084-1090, Apr 2015

No malpractice history found for Virginia.

Why It Matters: Dr. Bonner's Board Certifications