Sports Medicine  |
Dr. Kevin Bonner, MD
Prior to joining the Jordan-Young Institute, Dr. Bonner served as an Orthopedic Surgeon in the U.S. Navy for four years until he left as a Lieutenant Commander in 2002. During his tenure, Dr. Bonner was Chief of Sports Medicine at Portsmouth Naval Hospital as well as the Team Physician for the U.S. Navy Seals. He is a former Division 1 Baseball player who now takes care of many of the regions elite athletes from high school through the professional level. He is the official team physician for the Old Dominion University Wrestling Team, Women's Soccer Team, and Baseball Team. Dr. Bonner serves as faculty and lectures at Orthopedic Conferences both in the US and internationally. He has written numerous articles and medical textbook chapters on topics including arthroscopic shoulder surgery, meniscus repair & transplantation, articular cartilage treatment & repair, osteochondral transplantation, ligament reconstruction of the knee, and the ethics of stem cells and other biologic treatments.

5716 Cleveland St Ste 200

Virginia Beach, VA 23462

• Optima Health
  • Optimum HealthCare
  • Worker's Compensation

Learn about Dr. Bonner

Dr. Bonner's Experience

Dr. Bonner's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Sports Medicine
  • Board certified in Orthopaedic Sports Medicine, Orthopedic Surgery and Sports Medicine

This content was provided by Dr. Bonner "According to Dr. Bonner, the inherent privilege of practicing medicine is the incessant challenge to acquire and synthesize ever-expanding information and evidence. An integral responsibility of being a physician and a surgeon is staying at the top of your game, whether in the office or the operating room setting. He also believes you truly need to treat your patients like they are family and friends. When it comes to surgical interventions, Dr. Bonner stresses that vetting new procedures based on scientific methodology and not commercial hype is an important component to his responsibility as a physician."

• Sports Medicine

• Arthroscopic Shoulder Surgery
  • Knee Arthroscopy
  • Meniscal Allograft Transplant
  • Osteotomy

No malpractice history found for Virginia.

• Georgetown University

• Best Doctors in America, 2015-2016
  • US News & World Report “Top Doctors”, 2011
  • Castle Connolly Top Doctor, 2011
  • Top Doctors for Men” Hampton Roads Magazine, 2013
  • Top Doctors” Hampton Roads Magazine, July 2009, July 2010, Sept 2011, Aug 2012, Aug 2013
  • “Guide to America’s Top Surgeons” Consumers’ Research Council of America, 2016
  • “America’s Top Orthopedists” Consumers’ Research Council of America, 2007-2014
  • “Top Doctors” Coastal Virginia Magazine, 2014-2016
  • Tompkins M, Hamann JC, Diduch DR, Bonner KF, Hart JM, Gwathmey FW, Milewski MD, Gaskin CM Arthroscopy. Vol 29(10): Oct 2013: 1661-1670., Oct 2013
  • Inside-out Meniscus Repair. Arthroscopy Techniques Vol 2: Issue 4: e453-460., 2013: Vol 2
  • Two Techniques for Anterior Cruciate Ligament Tibial Fixation With a Bicortical Screw, 2006
  • Two-year post-operative evaluation of a patient with a symptomatic full-thickness patellar defect repaired with particulated juvenile cartilage tissue. J of Knee Surgery, October 2010, 109-114, 2010
  • An Alternative Technique to Avoid Injury to the Medial Femoral Condyle when Reaming the Femoral Tunnel during ACL Reconstruction:Arthroscopy Techniques, 2016
  • New and Emerging Techniques in Cartilage Repair, 2013:21:82
  • Repair of SLAP lesions associated with a Buford complex: a novel surgical technique. Arthroscopy 27(3):314-21., 2011
  • Impact of Hamstring Graft Diameter on Tendon Strength: A Biomechanical Study; Arthroscopy; Vol 31 (6): Apr 2015;1084-1090, Apr 2015

• American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Member
  • American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine, Member
  • Arthroscopy Association of North America, Member
  • Virginia Orthopaedic Society, Member

Dr. Bonner's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Bonner to family and friends
Dr. Bonner's Performance
in Norfolk, VA |
My case was very complicated.My shoulder was torn in several places, the bicep was totally torn from the bone. Dr. Bonner went above and beyond to fix my shoulder, because I can use my arm at 100%. Thank you Dr. Bonner for the great work that you did .
in Chesapeake, VA |
I cannot express how blessed I feel to have been under the care of Doctor Bonner and his staff. This was my second surgery with his team and both times I was completely satisfied with the procedure, the recovery and most important..........the results....
in Chesapeake |
Of the docs in my adult life, Dr. Bonner has been the best by far! His genuine concern for me as his patient help put my mind at ease for my orthopedic issues. He repaired my meniscus tear and a very bad rotator cuff and bicep tear. I was hesitant and scared, but he helped me to understand the entire procedure, pre and post op! On the day of both surgeries, he assured me that he would do his best and he did! I highly recommend Dr. Bonner & his team for any and all orthopedic issues.
in Chesapeake, VA |
Dr. Bonner has been my doctor for many years and hasn’t let me down. He has kept me out of surgery so far when other doctors just wanted to cut me open. Great guy. Great practice. Great staff. Thanks for taking care of me.
in Norfolk |
Dr. Bonner and Sabreina Gill (PA-C) have performed both of my rotator cuff repairs over the past 3 years. I received excellent pre-op and post-op instructions, Followup appointments were convenient and waiting times were tolerable. All of my questions were answered with patience and reassurance. The staff was very pleasant. I highly recommend Dr. Bonner and Sabreina Gill to everyone!
in Virginia Beach, VA |
I highly recommend Dr. Bonner and I could not have asked for a better surgeon. He is a very caring and attentive person, which really put me at ease when discussing having surgery on my left rotator cuff My questions were answered and my concerns thoroughly addressed both prior to surgery and during my recovery by either Dr. Bonner or his able assitant Sabrina Gill.
in Virginia Beach, VA |
Dr. Bonner, and his staff were nothing short of thorough, friendly and professional, not to mention doing a great job on my (pain free) rotator cuff surgery. They make a point to listen to any questions and thoroughly answer them for you without ever making you feel rushed! This practice is a "well oiled machine" and runs very smoothly. I highly recommend Dr. Bonner and his staff!
in Chesapeake, VA |
Dr. Bonner is a trusted partner in my health and a skilled surgeon. He is truly one of the best!
Chesapeake, VA |
I would highly recommend Dr Bonner. He was caring, and very skilled. He and his staff spent the time they need with me to explain all aspects of treatment and recovery.
in Virginia Beach, VA |
Very good communication before surgery. Positive disposition. Follow up visits short waits and superlative staff. Excellent recovery.
in Virginia Beach, VA |
Dr Kevin Bonner, performed Lt Rotary Cuff surgery in September along with his PA Sabrina Gill. Unfortunately for me my shoulder my worse than they expected. The surgery went very well everything and more was repaired. My recovery has been tough, the pain manageable, PT starts a few days after surgery. But, each day gets easier than the day before. I’m in my 2nd month I have no pain, the shoulder pain I had before is gone. Dr Bonner is the “Best” Shoulder Specialist. I highly recommend him.
Virginia Beach, VA |
ACL reconstruction was my first major surgery. Dr Bonner & PA Gill were very patient and explained everything. They did an awesome job with my pre-surgery nervousness. Six months after surgery I am back in action. If I break something else (knock on wood), I will go right back to Dr Bonner. A+ for professional knowledge, A+ for bedside manner, A+ for sense of humor
in Norfolk, VA |
As a patient of Dr Bonner's, I was given excellent medical information to help discern the nesscessity to have shoulder repair surgery. All of my surgery follow up appointments with Sabrenia Gill were informative and provided me with my plan to regain total mobility in my shoulder. I would recommend Dr Bonner to my family and friends without hesitation, in fact I have already done this!
in Virginia Beach, VA |
I had shoulder surgery with very little pain afterward and was able to get back to work. I give all credit to Dr. Bonner and PA Sabrenia Gill for the minimal pain and quick recovery.
in Virginia Beach, VA |
Outstanding and very professional. Kept me informed about the shoulder surgery before during and after the procedure. even though the rotator cuff tear was very survier the repair was accomplished in a manner that a fast recovery was able to be done.
in Chesapeake, VA |
Highly recommend Dr. Bonner. He performed some knee surgery on me for a torn meniscus several years ago, I had excellent results and was able to return to my full activity level. Last year(2016), I had tore some ligaments on my rotator cuff, fortunately Dr. Bonner was performing surgeries on the rotator cuff and he repaired two tears on my rotator cuff. I followed his instructions for recovery and am 100% recovered. He has a very strict prescription for recovery, but it worked.
in Chesapeake, VA |
Dr. Bonner is an amazing orthopedic doctor. He is very personable and makes his patients feel comfortable and special. He truly cares about all of his patients. I would recommend him to everyone that needs an orthopedic physician for their knee or shoulder. He takes his time to explain your diagnosis and the procedures that are available to you. I am 100% satisfied with the care that he and his PA (Sabrina) provided to me.
in Painter Va |
Dr Bonner is a excellent and professional surgery. I would recommend him to any one. The care I received after surgery was compassion.
in Virginia Beach, VA |
I could NOT have asked for a better surgeon!! I needed rotator cuff surgery due to being an active wheelchair user all my life. Dr. Bonner is FANTASTIC! Not only is he a wonderful surgeon, he is also a VERY caring person. He knew this surgery would be difficult for me, and tried to talk me out of it!! After a LONG recovery and PT ( 7months) I am back to being active! In addition to DR. Bonner, his PA, Sabrenia Gill, is WONDERFUL! Sabrenia is : knowlegable, caring, professional!
in Virginia Beach, VA |
Dr Bonner is a very caring and attentive doctor. He also is a very personable doctor that talks to you so you can understand. I have not ever had any issues like my shoulder but I wouldn't have wanted anyone else performing this surgery. He is professional and very knowledgable as a surgeon. I left my last appointment with not even a scar to show my surgery. I would recommend Dr Bonner and his PA Sabrina Gill to anyone. Sabrina was a pleasure. They make great team.
in Virginia Beach, VA |
Dr. Bonner did my rotator cuff surgery - 5 months later and I would say I'm as close to 100% possible. Couldn't be happier!
in Virginia Beach, VA |
Like most people these days I did look online for reviews. I was hoping there would be more but I went with the few and made my appointment. I was seen promptly with very little wait time at the office. My surgery was scheduled at my convenience and was a success!! I will be seeing Dr Bonner again if needed and would definitely recommend him to my friends and family.
in Virginia Beach, VA |
I saw Dr. Bonner today about a complicated shoulder problem. It was one of the best experiences I've ever had with a doctor. He was very easy to talk to, spent the right amount of time with me, explained everything that is going on, and left me with a clear path for working on making my shoulder problem better. I was very much at ease with him, will definitely look forward to working with him in the future on this issue. His PA was also very helpful, as was the rest of the staff.
Virginia Beach, VA |
I had rotator cuff repair surgery for a massive tear and my experience was very good. The pain was never too bad after the surgery and I was off the medication in a little over a week. It has been 5 months and the shoulder feels almost back to normal. I would highly recommend Dr Bonner for rotator cuff surgery.
in Norfolk, VA |
Dr. Bonner and staff are very professional and highly skilled and knowledgeable in their field. They are also welcoming, comforting and can discuss the problem at hand in terms that are understandable to a layman. My rotator cuff surgery went well; I have regained all mobility and am very pleased with the outcome.
in virginia beach, va |
I write this as a physician (retired) myself and thus have seen many offices and many, many docs. First of all this is an extremely well run friendly office. Haven't been in any better. The staff is very well trained for instance when they call me back they call "Doctor x). I don't think any other practice that go to tries that hard to please. Dr. Bonner is special. Personality + His manner is superb as are his surgical skills. If you don't like him and his PA you will never like any doc.
I made an appointment with Dr. Bonner after experiencing shoulder pain for over 6 months and causing many sleepless nights. I wanted a surgeon who did arthroscopic surgery. Dr. Bonner is an extremely pleasant physician and we communicated well from the start. I felt I was in very competent hands and trusted him completely. The surgery went very smoothly and the follow up visits went well. Dr. Bonner and his PA, Sabrenia Gill, make a great team.
Virginia Beach, VA |
I've been going to Dr. Bonner for my knee issues and he has taken great care of me every step of the way from diagnosing my issues to treating them so that's I could get back to activities I enjoy. Definitely recommend for anyone with chronic knee issues!
Dr Bonner is an amazing physician. I have been a patient of his since 1998 and refuse to let anyone else work on my knees. Everyone within his staff are extremely helpful, informative and friendly, I drive 6.5 hours to see the BEST doc around!!
in Buxton, N.C. |
There is NO better orthopedic surgeon than Dr. Bonner. he has replaced one knee & did a complete rotator repair on my right shoulder. I have had many orthopedic Doctors over the years and he is simply the best!!
in Virginia Beach, VA |
Dr. Bonner replaced three of the four left shoulder connectors late 2016. The whole operation was impressive - first surgery at the hospital & back home in the same day. I never had pain!!! The only inconvenience was wearing the shoulder brace and not driving for 6 weeks. I returned to him for surgery on the right shoulder January 2017. It was a big tear on this shoulder and I did just as well with this as the first operation. Another six weeks of not driving and therapy for 12 weeks.
in Virginia Beach, VA |
I can't say enough positive things about Dr. Bonner and my experiences with him. He's helped me with multiple issues and I can't thank him enough for that. Not only does he provide world class service, but he also demonstrates genuine care for his patients and their well being. An amazing person and doctor who I'd recommend to everyone.
in Norfolk, VA |
Excellent care, very professional. His staff is A ONE. All around nice guy.
in Virginia Beach, VA |
Kevin has performed right and left rotator cuff repairs for me. Both have corrected the tears. Kevin has a wonderful bedside manner. The care for each person is his number one concern. He is always positive and can explain what will happen for each operation leaving each person with peace of mind. Additional, Kevin's support staff is wonderful. I'd like to say a big thank you to Sabrenia Gill who provides meaningful support during and after the operation. She does the hard work.
in Belvidere, NC |
He was wonderful!! Tried to avoid surgery as long as possible but had to have it in Jan 2017. Not only was he great but everyone in his office. When I went to physical therapy they were impressed with the surgery site and how well it was healing. I already recommended 3 family members and will refer many more.
in Virginia Beach, VA |
Dr. Bonner repaired my rotator cuff and bicep after I tore my THL. I was amazed at the near painless recovery. There is no difference in my range of motion or strength between my repaired shoulder and the uninjured shoulder. He PA Sabrenia Gill was extremely knowledgeable and professional. Out of 5 office visits only one had a wait longer the 10 minutes from when I got to the office. For three of those visits I was taken before my scheduled time. I highly recommend this doctor and his staff.
in Virginia Beach, VA |
I had rotator cuff surgery with Dr. Bonner in December, 2016, and the entire experience couldn't have been better. His assistants, nurses, and staff were all excellent, and I would recommend that anyone experiencing shoulder problems to see Dr. Bonner.
Virginia Beach, VA |
Dr. Bonner and his staff are professional and friendly. They will take time to answer your questions and ensure you are fully informed. I would recommend them to anyone looking for excellent orthopedic care!
in Chesapeake, VA |
I was injured in a car accident, Dr. Bonner was recommended by several of my customers. I looked up the practice to get a better understanding and read the reviews. I found myself scheduled for a consultation with Dr. Bonner. I really liked how professional the office was and the way the visit flowed. I met with Dr. Bonner and felt like he truly listened to my concerns. I ended up having surgery and felt I was in good hands through the entire experience. Sabrenia Gill, his P.A is fabulous.
in Chesapeake, VA |
My visit with Dr. Bonner was pleasant and his staff were kind and professional. I was experiencing severe pain in my right shoulder and it was keeping me awake at night. After having an MRI it was discovered that my rotator cuff was torn and my bi-cep tendon was shredded. DR. Bonner and Sabrina explained to me what had to be done to repair my shoulder in layman terms, so I knew what to expect. Surgery went well and my shoulder is better than new. As a Firefighter this was a must. Thanks
Secaucus, NJ |
Dr. Bonner is experienced and knowledgeable. He truly cares that his patients will be pain free after treatment, and will return to a healthy, fully functioning life.
in Norfolk, VA |
I will recommend Dr. Bonner to anyone who asks. Both my husband and I have been treated by Dr. Bonner. He was very detailed in his explanations of our conditions and of how he was going to treat them. - we trust him totally! Sabrenia Gill was my P.A. - she was fantastic as well! (Dr. Bonner's PA when my husband was treated is no longer with them - but she was fantastic as well) If you are having shoulder issues, I would strogly recommend Dr. Bonner and his staff
in virginia beach, va |
I've already told many of my friends that Dr. Bonner and his team are THE cream of the crop. I didn't anticipate the quality of care I received. My questions were answered and my concerns thoroughly addressed. Surgery was precisely what I was told The follow up care was outstanding. I was seen regularly. My physical therapist's input in terms of my progress was seriously considered. I could write volumes about the gracious and professional care I received. They're the best of the best.
in Chesapeake, VA |
Dr. Bonner, with the assistance of Sabrenia Gill, removed a large fatty tumor from my shoulder, bone spurs, inflamation on the bicep muscle and did rotator cuff work. Prior to surgery, I was told I would be down for two to three months. Six weeks after, I was playing golf. Dr. Bonner and Sabrenia have been blessed with a special God-given talent.They are down-to-earth professionals, very patient and thorough in dealing with their patients. I would recommend Dr. Bonner and Sabrenia to anyone.
in Chesapeake, VA |
Dr. Bonner and his staff were superlative in every respect for my surgery to the shoulder. The little bit of additional time spent waiting in the waiting room was rewarded with professionalism and on-point diagnosis. You cannot go wrong! I was out of physical therapy in minimum time because of the way the surgery was carried out.
in Franklin, VA |
Dr. Bonner and his excellent staff restored my shoulders (one in 2014, the other one in 2016) to COMPLETE functionality! I couldn't have asked for better results! Thank you Dr. Bonner and Sabrenia Gill, you both are the best of the best!
Virginia Beach, VA |
Dr. Bonner was so fantastic. His bedside manner is great and unlike other doctors he doesn't seem to be rushing you out of his office. I really appreciated the time and care he took to dive deep into my medical issues to diagnose the problem. I had 3 surgeries prior with other doctors and none of those relieved my knee pain, but one surgery with Dr. Bonner seems to have done the trick. Also, his PA Sabrina was super! I can't thank them both enough!
in Manteo, NC |
I completely recommend Dr. Bonner & Sabrenia Gill! I cannot say enough positive comments about the level of service I received. It is certainly worth the drive to VA Beach from the OBX, where I live. Both are superstars and treated me as if I was their only patient, taking all the time that was needed to address any questions I had. My procedure and recovery went exactly as planned and I am forever grateful for their knowledge, skill and compassion.
in Norfolk, VA |
Dr. Bonner is an amazing surgeon! Compassionate and thorough! Performed a procedure with my elbow and did an amazing job! This is one Physician that I would highly recommend for Orthopedics!
in Virginia Beach, VA |
Dr. Bonner has performed two knee surgeries on my 17 year old daughter (ACL both knees) and we couldn't be more pleased with the results as well as the care we received throughout the entire process. He and Sabrina are extremely patient, very detail oriented and never rush us through appointments. They stay "on top" of all the latest research, are extremely knowledgeable and always willing to share their knowledge. Dr. Bonner is the best and we would (and have) recommend him to others.
Have you seen Dr. Kevin Bonner, MD?
Are you Dr. Bonner?