Dr. Kern Singh, MD

Dr. Kern Singh, MD

Orthopedic Spine Surgery  |
Dr. Kern Singh, MD is an orthopedic spine surgery doctor who practices in Chicago, IL. He is 41 years old and has been practicing for 18 years. Read his story

1611 W Harrison St Ste 300

Chicago, IL 60612

• Priority Health

Learn about Dr. Singh

See how frequently Dr. Singh performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Radiculopathy (Not Due to Disc Displacement)
Spine Disorders
Spinal Stenosis

Dr. Singh's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. Singh's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Singh "Dr. Singh has an international reputation in the area of minimally invasive spinal surgery. He frequently teaches minimally invasive techniques to neurosurgeons and spinal surgeons from around the world and most recently was an invited guest lecturer to Saudi Arabia. He is also extensively involved in designing new minimally invasive spinal instrumentation for cutting-edge spinal surgery. Dr. Singh's clinical interests include the minimally invasive treatment of complex degenerative disorders of the cervical, thoracic, and lumbar spine. Dr. Singh also specializes in minimally invasive treatment of spinal tumors and adult spinal deformities. Dr. Singh is known for his excellent outcomes and his use of cutting-edge procedures. He is an award-winning researcher and has published his findings in major medical journals (more than 200 publications, presentations and book chapters). He most recently won awards for his research including Best Paper at the North American Spine Society (NASS) and Society of Minimally Invasive Spinal Surgery (SMISS) International Meetings in 2013. He frequently trains surgeons who observe his newly advanced surgical techniques in the operating room. He is also the principal researcher in several FDA clinical trials involving cervical disc replacements and motion-preserving spinal technology. Dr. Singh is listed in Becker's Orthopedic Spine and Pain Management as one of the nation's Top 100 spine surgeons and specialists. Dr. Singh was also appointed to serve as the chair of the Spine Program Committee for the American Association of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) Annual Meeting from 2017-2020.A graduate of Jefferson Medical College, where he graduated Magna Cum Laude, Dr. Singh completed his training at Emory University in a combined Orthopaedic and Neurosurgical spine fellowship."

This content was provided by Dr. Singh "My practice focuses exclusively on Minimally Invasive Spinal Surgery. These techniques allow for the treatment of debilitating spinal disorders with much quicker recovery, improved pain relief, and a faster return to activity and sport. Rush University Medical Center is a leading hospital in the state and the country and allows me to provide patients with the STATE OF THE ART care unavailable elsewhere. A comprehensive team approach allows us to handle problems from the straight-forward to the most complicated of spinal surgeries. Revision surgeries, failed fusions, spinal fractures, we handle everything."

• Orthopedic Spine Surgery

• Spine Fracture Treatment
  • Spine Surgery
  • Stereotactic Radiosurgery, Spinal or Cranial
  • Thoracic Surgical Procedure

No malpractice history found for Illinois.

• Penn State University
    Undergraduate School | Graduated
  • Jefferson Medical College Of Thomas Jefferson University, Thomas Jefferson University
    Medical School | Graduated 1999
  • Rush University Medical Center
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2004
  • Emory University
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2005

• Chicago Top Doctors, 2009
  • Becker's Top 100 Spine Surgeons In America, 2011
  • America's Top 10 Orthopedic Hospital - US News and World Report, 2000-Prese

Dr. Singh does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Singh and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Singh's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Singh to family and friends
4.1
Dr. Singh's Performance
Melrose Park, IL |
My experience went very well. Being young(18) I was worried about going a surgerical route. However, Dr.Kern Singh took very good care of me, and his level of expertise is incredible. I had suffered with a chiropractor for a while, and was feeling rather hopeless in terms of getting better. Two hours after my microdiscectomy for my herniated disc I was walking around again pain free. The next day I walked for 45minutes+, and since then my recovery has been parabolic. Very satisfied with it all.
in Oak Park, IL |
With strong career background in orthopedic and neurosurgery, I received input from all of my national sources and selected Dr. Singh as the most skilled surgeon in the Chicago area. He is a leader in the latest survival techniques and technologies. My condition required two surgeries with Dr. Singh. I couldn't have been in better hands with both.
in NEENAH |
This MD has no empathy or ability to treat pain following fusion. Hospital staff asking why I was in so much pain post op, nurse answers "Singh patient" & closes the curtain. Seven hours later, in the same pain because he refused to answer pages from my nurses all day, he walks in and lectures me about my lack of pain tolerance. I'm a doctor, marathoner, & have done natural childbirth and 3 other spine surgeries without difficulties. Most any MD would be better than Dr. Singh- keep looking!
in Westchester, IL |
Very satisfied with my disc replacement surgery. If I knew recovery was this easy i I'd have done this surgery a long time ago. I Feel great...thanks!
in Westchester, IL |
It was the best experience. Dr Singh is the best very informative and a great bed side manner. I would recommend him highly.
in Hazel Crest, IL |
Dr. Singh and his team are very professional and thorough with explanations to my questions. He never made me feel uncomfortable asking questions. I felt very well taken care of under his supervision.
in Bridgeview IL |
Dr Singh and his staff are wonderful. I am currently 6 weeks post surgery and I feel wonderful. For the first time in 5 years the pain and tingling in my legs are gone, I never thought that would ever happen. The feeling to be able to walk and not feel unsteady is gone. I am so happy I was referred to Dr Singh. Thank you
in Westchester, IL |
I have had an amazing experience with Dr Singh. After months of failed treatment with my first Dr, I came to see him. Surgery was a huge success. The staff and Physician Assistants, along with Dr Singh were all so great, caring and kind. Thank you for giving me my life back!
in Westchester, IL |
It's nice to know your doc is the best!
in St. John, IN |
I had an L4 to L5 spinal fusion on October 3rd 2017. From start to finish, Dr Singh and his team were informative and amazing to work with. I went back to work two weeks after surgery and I haven't felt this good in years. No more nerve pain! Highly recommend Dr Singh and his entire team!
in WestTinley Park ilchester, IL |
If you need immediate care, Dr Singh is the physician to see. I didn't want shots to mask pain & continue a Lon treatment that eventually ended in surgery. My surgery gave me my life back
in Westchester, IL |
Absolutely would recommend to everyone who has back problems. I have gotten a new lease on life. Everything that was promised came true. I feel amazing. I look forward to getting back to life as it was 9 years ago.
in Westchester, IL |
The experience with doctor Singh is unlike any other doctor I have visited. He and his assistants give their full attention and care to your ailments and treat you with the utmost respect. My problem was identified quickly and a course of action was explained fully with no gray areas. Their confidence in fixing my problem was delivered twofold!
in Lake station in. |
My experience has been great!! I am now six weeks post-op and I feel great. I had a discectomy and the nerve pain is gone and back feels strong..hope it stays this way
in Glen Ellen, il |
I am very thankful to be the recipient of dr Singh talent and hard work. Choosing a back operation is a difficult decision. Lots of pain and reduced capabilities led me to my decision. I feel like I have been given an extension of enjoyable and fulfilling life.
in Chicago, IL |
Had a great experience with Dr. Singh and his staff, and couldn't be happier with the results. I was having serious sciatic pain, and after the surgery I was up and moving right away. I'm now 6 weeks out and ready to get back in the gym, feeling great.
Westchester, IL |
Dr. Singh is an excellent physician with unparalleled skill and bedside manner to match. He did my minimally invasive procedure that allowed me to go back to taking care of my patients in no time. I would highly recommend Dr. Singh
Excellent from first experience
in My Henry il |
After surgery I kept asking myself why I had waited so long! Dr Singh made the entire process simple and painless. I can't speak more highly of dr Singh and his staff. My strongest comment is don't wait so long!!
in Westchester, IL |
Dr. Singh's calm, professional manner was reassuring as I contemplated spinal surgery. He thoroughly explained the procedure, anticipating most of my questions, then took the time to answer the few I still had. The incision from the surgery is minimal and has healed quickly.
in Milwaukee, wi |
I was referred to Dr. Singh after an unsuccessful spinal fusion in Milwaukee, WI. I was seen by two doctors in Milwaukee and neither could help me this was out of their skill set but referred me to Dr. Singh. I had to come to to Chicago several times and was taken off all of the narcotics that the Milwaukee pain doctors had me on which was painful, but it was so I would have a better outcome from surgery. I lived on these medicines for four years and now two weeks post surgery I feel great!!
in Darien, IL |
Wonderful experience! If I had to have this surgery, I knew who I would trust. I wanted the best surgeon to operate on my back. I would (and d) recommend MOR to friends, family and co-workers. The people at Rush were a class act start to finish!
in Broadview, IL |
My experience with Dr. Singh has been Positive in the truest sense. I've regained all of the feeling in my leg and all of the pain is gone. What I was told would happen prior to surgery did indeed happen.
in Westchester, IL |
Dr Singh did a phenomenal job of assessing the problem I had when I initially came into his office. He identified why I was having consistent pain and also explained why the conventional approaches to pain management I was taking did not work. I immediately signed up for surgery and have been pain-free ever sense. Bravo to Dr. Singh and his team.
in Westchester, IL |
I strongly recommend Dr. Singh. Highly experience and knowledgeable he transmits you the confidence you need to analysis your options. After surgery I feel 100% recovered and I'm grateful to have met him and taken the surgery option.
in Chicago, IL |
Dr. Singh suggested spinal surgery, and I was not on board. After a year of other methods I resulted in having the first fusion... when the pain occurred three years afterwards, I went back to Dr Singh and we realized there was another level damaged and needed surgery... having the fusion has given me the ability to have back, the quality of life I had prior to the pain...
in Willowbrook, IL |
Dr. Singh did amazing job and took away all my pain that I was having for 3 years before the surgery. I highly recommend Dr. Singh and staff to everyone that needs back surgery.
Broadview, IL |
I'm continuing to heal after my 5/19/17 TLIF spine surgery and every day there's improvement. Doc Singh is an excellent surgeon and his staff are excellent as well. Definitely no regrets!
in Chicago, IL |
I can't say more about the entire process. From the front desk to the visits with staff to my first appt with the doctor. He eased my mind about the myths associated with fusion surgery and described the entire process. The surgery went off without a hitch. After three to five days I was out and about walking and socializing. I did not need any pain killers after two days. It changed my life after years of pain.
in OAk Park |
Ten years ago, my new PCP at Rush Oak Park referred me to Dr.Singh after at least three ER visits and three inpatient hospitalizations for osteomyelitis. Two other teaching hospitals and another orthopedic surgeon had failed me. Dr. SIngh saved my life, rebuilt my spine in a 10 hour surgery. Ten years later, I returned to him for a minimally invasive procedure. Four months afterward, I traveled to Paris where I walked five miles a day! He's a rock star and all around nice guy.
in Westchester, IL |
Dr.Singh is very well knowledgeable in his field of medicine. I had lumbar spine fusion surgery that he and his team conducted on me, and I will say I could recommend anyone else, but him. My pain was gone right after surgery, which did not take long at all. Thank you Dr. K. Singh and your team.
in Valparaiso, Indiana |
I had been dealing with back pains for a few years that had progressively gotten worse to where I was eventually, in constant pain. After this surgery I am now pain free! Also I am taking NO medications! I recommend Dr Kern Singh and this surgery to everyone that is suffering back pains.
in Chicago, IL |
Amazing disc replacement in my neck. Went home the same day! back to work 72hours later
in Chicago, IL |
I have needed Dr Singh twice in the past 5 years. He has done surgery on me with excellent success! I was able to return to a normal life with the activities and sports I love to do. His bedside manner is excellent. He takes the time with you explaining everything. He genuinely cares. I would highly recommend him to my family, friends or anyone that needs orthopedic spine care! Will use him again if needed.
in Chicago, IL |
I would recommend Dr. Kern Singh to family and friends. He is personable and very easy to talk to. He explained my medical condition and how the surgical procedure would be performed. Christopher McGee, the PA, was always available for questions before and after the procedure. He was very reassuring about any concerns I had post-op. I would highly recommend Dr Kern Singh and his medical team for their excellence in orthopedic care. As a nurse, I valued his professionalism and knowledge
Westchester, IL |
Dr. Singh is a phenomenal doctor. He is very knowledgeable and has a great bed side manner. He fully explained my medical condition and offered options to improve my condition. In the end we decided on the surgery and in only six short months I am back to normal and living a pain free life.
in Forest Park |
I am totally amazed, I can walk with no pain.
in Westchester, IL |
Dr. Singh took the time to explain what was causing my symptoms, surgically corrected the issue, and explained the healing process during post-surgery follow up visits. At some point I will likely need additional cervical surgery, and will be seeing Dr. Singh for that as well.
in Chicago , IL |
Dr.Singh has been my doctor since i had my surgery. He is a very good doctor and my surgery went great with him. I highly recommend him.
in Westchester, IL |
Dr. Singh and his team were very professional and attentive, I would gladly recommend him and his team to anyone having any kind of spinal surgery.
in Westchester, IL |
I had severe back pain and didn't think nothing surgically or scientically would help my back condition. I had the minimum invasive back procedure with Dr Singh and his PA-C Chris, went home after procedure, endured a little pain wish can be expected and amazingly after about a week no back pain at all. I would seriously recommend this procedure to anyone suffering with back pain.
in Westchester, IL |
I have a lot to say about Dr. Singh, his PA staff, and Midwest Orthopedic. I am a police officer and injured my low back in 2012. That's when I met Dr. Singh. I've had 5 back surgeries over 3 separate work related injuries, including a lumbar fusion and fusion revisions. My career and lifestyle is very demanding and strenuous. I am proud to say that Dr. Singh and his staff are the best thing that has happened to me since my injury. I've made a complete recovery thanks to Dr. Singh.
in Westchester, IL |
After years of progressive pain, headaches, loss of balance as well as numbness and tingling, I am free of all those symptoms thanks to Dr. Singh and his staff. From the first visit I felt comfortable and confident. After 3 and a half months and 2 surgeries later, ( both cervical and lumbar), I can say with no hesitation, I would recommend Dr Singh.
Westchester, IL |
We had a friend recommend Dr.Singh to us who had excellent results with a spinal fusion. It has only been 6 weeks since my fusion surgery so am still waiting for complete recovery. At this point I am very pleased with the results, and would recommend Dr, Singh for a spinal fusion,
in Columbus, GA |
The passion that Dr. Singh and his staff share for healing is obvious. Their office is providing world class health care. Dr. Singh quickly identified my husband's problem and recommended a treatment plan. His staff explained the physiology of my husband's neck issue in a way that I easily understood, and they responded to questions and concerns promptly. Everyone in the office is happy to work there, so the patient care is outstanding. We came from out of town and had a great experience.
in Plainfield, IL |
Dr. Singh has surrounded himself with office personnel and physician assistants who understand that patients have names and families, in particular Kaitlyn Angeletti, PA-C. I have worked in the medical industry for 25 years and know anatomy, physiology, and am intimate with surgery but did not share this info with anyone. Kaitlyn explained everything in detail, really listened to me, and has excellent communication skills. I look forward to meeting Dr. Singh as he has a great reputation...thanks
in waiting ln |
Dr. Singh performed 2 surgeries on my back. After my second back injury Dr. Singh told me I needed to have another surgery all I said was let's get it done! I had all the confidence in his abilities and expertise that I didn't give it a second thought. I would recommend him to anyone. My back feels great, no more pain. Thank you and your staff.
in Elwood, IL |
Dr. Singh has changed my life. Thank you my surgery recovery has been excellent. Dr. Singh and his staff have been professional, warm and caring. Thank you again.
in Westchester, IL |
All of my pain associated with the issues in my neck has been alleviated by having this surgery done.
I made an appointment with Dr Singh about 18 months after complications from a cervicle fusion done by another surgeon. For 18 months I was sent Dr to Dr basically with no help. Only solution that was offered was pain medicine, which turned out to be new problems, unknown to me. The whole situation was a nightmare, that's where Dr Singh stepped in. Here we are now 6 weeks after cervicle fusion revision surgery doing much better then previous surgery. Can't thank Dr Singh and his team enough
Have you seen Dr. Kern Singh, MD?
Are you Dr. Singh?

See our Orthopedic Spine Surgery Specialists at Northwestern Medicine Lake Forest Hospital

Visit Dr. Singh