Interventional Pain Medicine  |
Dr. Kenneth Chapman, MD
Dr. Chapman, the Director of the Spine & Pain Institute of New York is a board certified physician in Pain Management and Anesthesiology. He completed his Anesthesiology residency at the Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center in New York City. Interventional Pain Management Fellowship at the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio and Dr. Chapman has privileges at Staten Island University Hospital in addition to NYU Langone Medical Center. He is the current director of pain management at Staten Island University Hospital which is connected to the North Shore LIJ system, where he leads a team of seven pain physicians. Dr. Chapman teaches residents and fellows the field of pain management and is actively involved in lecturing nationally and internationally. Dr. Chapman frequently serves as a pain management board examiner for certification on the Fellowship of Interventional Pain Practice Pain Boards. He has won numerous peer validated awards including “America’s Best Anesthesiologists” and “Most Compassionate Doctors.” While in the Cleveland Clinic, Dr. Chapman won the “Ethlene R. Smith’s Most Outstanding Fellow” award. He was voted to be a NYS Interventional Pain Society delegate and also serves as an interventional pain management representative on the advisory board to the NYS Worker’s Compensation Board, where he is writing the current worker’s compensation guidelines. Dr. Chapman is also the president of the NYS Pain Management PAC. Dr. Chapman volunteers two days a month on Staten Island at the Medical Arts Pavilion clinic in Staten Island Hospital North and the Community Health Center on Port Richmond Avenue at clinics for uninsured or underinsured patients. As a native Staten Islander he gets great satisfaction from helping in the care of its underserved communities. When treating patients with pain, he works in close collaboration with referring physicians including neurologists, internists, and surgeons in an effort to potentially delay or avoid surgery, whilst also facilitating in making an unavoidable surgery more precise. Dr. Chapman is recognized for his expertise in minimally invasive treatment modalities for spinal stenosis and herniated discs. His practice was involved in the pivotal study on the MILD (Minimally Invasive Lumbar Decompression) procedure and is also at the forefront of pain management treatments such as endoscopic discectomy for painful herniated discs and endoscopic radiofrequency ablation for patients that have failed conventional radiofrequency. Dr. Chapman is considered a thought leader in spinal cord stimulation and an expert in stimulation (SCS) for the treatment of pelvic pain. Dr. Chapman also treats painful peripheral neuropathies including occipital neuralgia, painful lateral femoral cutaneous neuralgia (meralgia paresthetica), facial neuralgias, reflex sympathetic dystrophy (RSD) and other intractable pain syndromes. Dr. Chapman is a sports enthusiast, closely following the NFL and NBA. He also speaks Chinese (Mandarin).

1360 Hylan Blvd

Staten Island, NY 10305

• Elderplan
  • EmblemHealth
  • VNS Choice

Learn about Dr. Chapman

See how frequently Dr. Chapman performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Herniated Disc
Osteoarthritis of Spine
Steroid Injection

Dr. Chapman's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

This content was provided by Dr. Chapman "When treating pain patients, Dr. Chapman works in close collaboration with referring physicians including neurologists, internists, and surgeons in an effort to avoid or potentially delay surgery, as well as to facilitate in making an unavoidable surgery more precise."

• Interventional Pain Medicine

• Nerve Block, Sympathetic
  • Occipital Nerve Block
  • Pain Pump
  • Peripheral Nerve Block
  • Platelet-Rich Plasma Injection (PRP)
  • Radiofrequency Ablation
  • Spinal Cord Stimulation
  • Spinal Nerve Block
  • Tumor Ablation

No malpractice history found for New York.

• Columbia College
  • New York Presbyterian-Columbia
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2005
  • Cleveland Clinic
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2006

Dr. Chapman has no media or publications listed.

• Chinese

Dr. Chapman does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Chapman and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Chapman's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Chapman to family and friends
3.9
Dr. Chapman's Performance
in New York, ny |
I've been dealing with various social issues for several years and Doctor Chapman has been a huge help. He's kind, empathetic and has helped me immensely. I would highly recommend.
in Staten Island, NY |
I cannot say enough good things about Dr. Chapman and his staff. He truly treats each patient as they are his only patient, his compassion and those of his team are second to none. Procedures are clearly explained, he never "pushes" anything. I trust his recommendations and those of his PAs. I highly recommend him
Bayonne, NJ |
My experience with Dr Kenneth Chapman was very good. Dr. Chapman is an excellent specialist in the field of pain management and bone and joint health. His staff is excellent and very professional and I would highly recommend this practice.
in New York, NY 10017 |
I would give Dr. Chapman more stars if allowed. When I first visited Dr. Chapman I was in indescribable pain. After much talk, and review of my records, Dr. Chapman knew exactly what to do. He is a miracle worker. His knowledge of what was my condition was spot on and Dr. Chapman thinks out of the box! Also his "bedside," manner is stellar! When one is as desperate as I have been and visited so many pain management doctors, I will speak for myself, I had lost all hope. Then, I met Dr. Chapman...
in Freeport, NY |
Dr Chapman and His Staff are Second To None! I've Had Always Had A Easy Great Experience in His Offices. Has Helped me Numerous Times for My Neck and Back. This Is The Doctor you Want to See!! Simply The Best!
in New York, NY |
The problem is dr chapman isn't a good doctor and he has a poor bedside manner - avoid at all cost
in Jersey City, NJ |
Terrible experience - will not be back
in New York, NY |
Problem with this office is that you're treated like a patient in a Medicaid clinic. Hate to say it. Everyone is in and out. How do you prove to me that you care about my list of concerns if you never spent 5 mins with me?? Don't go here. Go to a better dr.
in Staten Island, NY |
Dr. Chapman has been there for me since the onset of my pain and his staff has gone above and beyond to accommodate my schedule changes. Being a single mother and having pain, has been difficult for me and my family. Dr. Chapman continues to make himself available when I have questions about my upcoming procedures.
in Staten Island, N.Y. |
As a SEVERE I.P. (Intractable Pain) patient, thus far, Dr Chapman has scored highest marks, IMHO. He is one of the nicest persons I've ever met - not just one of the nicest DRS. His bedside manner is second to none. I believe he truly cares about the well being of his patients and i believe he is genuinely compassionate - not phony or putting on a facade. My wife went to him for two years before I asked him if he'd be willing to take on my case - which is very complex/complicated at the least.
in New York, NY |
I don't know what type of practice this is but it's not one where you meet the doctor. I saw his shoes once and will never again. Pain is a serious problem and I can't find anyone to explain to me what is wrong!
in Staten Island, NY |
Dr. Chapman is a wonderful and compassionate doctor who not only helps alleviate my pain but is also the one to diagnose my multiple myeloma through a biopsy of my vertebrate in the area I had my pain!!!! Thank God for him. It is comforting to know he takes the extra step. Who knows how long before I had been diagnosed if it wasn't for him. Dr. Chapman does not hesitate to try different options to make sure I am comfortable enduring my chemotherapy. I wouldn't trade this doc for the world!!!!
in Staten Island, NY |
I have had an interenting experience with Dr. Chapo! Although he does not meet with me in a regular basis, he has helped me a lot. I usually see different NPs/nurses and they have been super helpful. Dr. Chapman has identified the best clinical interventions to manage my spine pains. Millions of thanks to friendly staff too!
New York, NY |
I experience low back & nerve pain to inner, outer & sometimes back of my thigh. MRI revealed severe stenosis. Dr. Chapman treated me successfully for 10 yrs. before I consented to a fusion of L4, L5. I continue to see Chapman for intermittent relief. A caring, understanding & resourceful physician who will not hesitate &recommend alternative treatment when his is not providing adequate relief. Also, he & his staff explain my treatment protocol & what to expect in a user-friendly manner.
New York, NY |
Dr. Chapman is a life saver when it comes to my back pain. His bed side manner was humble and considerate. I had received the proper treatment according to my findings and have been feeling better after only just a few injections. I would recommend my closest family and friends to his office. I had a great experience in his office considering the great amount of pain I had came in with. Top notch doctor and am grateful for being referred to his office.
in New York, NY |
Great doctoring, but imossible to reach for advice about physical therapy that made condition worse!
in Staten Island, NY |
Excellent Dr. and he has really helped me, he takes the extra time and effort to make sure I'm getting the most out of my treatments.
in Staten Island New York |
Love his bedside manor. Would highly recommend him. Listens to your concerns and very sympathetic to his patients needs.
Have you seen Dr. Kenneth Chapman, MD?
Are you Dr. Chapman?

Visit Dr. Chapman

Dr. Chapman accepts 3 insurance carriers
  • Elderplan
    Emblem Health
    Health Insurance Plan of Greater New York (HIP)
  • VNS Choice