Dr. Kelvin Higa, MD

Dr. Kelvin Higa, MD

Bariatric Surgery  |
Dr. Kelvin Higa, MD is a bariatric surgery doctor who practices in Fresno, CA. He is 59 years old and has been practicing for 34 years.

205 E River Park Cir

• Blue Cross Blue Shield of California

Learn about Dr. Higa

See how frequently Dr. Higa performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Stomach Surgery
Obesity
Gastric Bypass Surgery, Laparoscopic

Dr. Higa's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

This content was provided by Dr. Higa "Dr. Higa graduated from UC Riverside and received his M.D. degree from UCLA School of Medicine. He completed his surgical training locally and has also served as Chief of Vascular Surgery at the VA Medical Center. Dr. Higa has been in practice since 1990 and also serves as Associate Clinical Professor of Surgery, UCSF, and as Assistant Professor of Surgery for the College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific. Dr. Higa is also a fellow of the American College of Surgeons and the American Society for Bariatric Surgery. His special interests include Bariatric surgery, Vascular surgery and advanced Videoscopic surgery. "

• Bariatric Surgery
  • Bariatric Medicine

• General Surgery
    Accredited by: American Board of Surgery*

• Weight Loss

• Bariatric Surgery (Weight Loss Surgery)
  • Esophageal Surgery
  • Open Gastric Restrictive Procedure
  • Revision of Gastric Anastomosis or Restrictive Procedure
  • Sleeve Gastrectomy
  • Stomach Surgery

No malpractice history found for California.

• University Of California, Riverside
    Undergraduate School | Graduated 1980
  • David Geffen School Of Medicine At UCLA, University Of California, Los Angeles
    Medical School | Graduated 1983
  • Valley Medical Center, General Surgery
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1988

• Resident Teacher of the Year Award, 1988
  • Narcotic withdrawal syndrome following gastric bypass--a difficult diagnosis, 2001
  • Internal hernias after laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass: incidence, treatment and prevention, 2003
  • Complications of the laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass: 1,040 patients--what have we learned?, 2000

Dr. Higa does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Higa and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Higa's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Higa to family and friends
4.3
Dr. Higa's Performance
in Los Banos, CA |
I went to see Dr. Higa about revision surgery. He was arrogant and condescending. My blood pressure was high and he told me that I should go on a blood pressure medication that would help me lose weight, but he REFUSED to give me the name of the drug. I wrote to him and he did not respond. I talked to his office manager, who also refused to help me with the blood pressure medication question. Also, he would not answer questions about revisions. I would never recommend this "doctor."
in Fresno |
I had a gastric-y bypass surgery in 2001 that was not done correctly by another doctor. I was on the brink of death in 2013 because of it. Dr. Higa is the only doctor in the entire San Joaquin Valley that would provide me with any medical and surgical help. Needless to any say, I am still alive today thanks to God and Dr. Higa. I am so very grateful to be alive today to be a part of my little boy's life and not leave my husband a widower. Thank you Dr. Higa!
in Atwater, CA |
On 2/17/2004 Dr.Higa gave me the gastric bypass. In the last year I have gained up to 222. I started at 338. I've stayed around 190 for years. But I can't seem to get the weight off now. What to do. Dr. Higa is a wonderful doctor.
in Hanford, CA |
He told be what weight loss surgery worked best for me. He answered all my questions. I have been looking for a doctor for the last 6yrs. He had all the answers and statistics to back it up. He even told me information on my nationality and what works best for me. Even though, I think he should spend more time with patients during the process of getting the surgery, I know there is not way he can. He is so busy and the office staff he has is nice. I did it and I would never regret it.
Have you seen Dr. Kelvin Higa, MD?
Are you Dr. Higa?