Dr. Kathryn Ackerman, MD

Sports Medicine •  Female • Age 48

Dr. Ackerman

Boston Children's Hospital, Sports Medicine Division

319 Longwood Ave Boston, MA 02115

Dr. Kathryn Ackerman, MD is a Sports Medicine Specialist in Boston, MA and has over 18 years of experience in the medical field. She graduated from Johns Hopkins University School Of Medicine medical school in 2002. She is affiliated with Boston Children's Hospital. She is accepting new patients. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Ackerman to book an appointment.

Compare Providers

Quickly compare more Sports Medicine Specialists in your area

See similar Sports Medicine Specialists in Boston

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Trustworthy
    Patients said this doctor is trustworthy. See reviews

Dr. Ackerman accepts most major insurance plans.

Dr. Ackerman has indicated that she accepts most major insurance carriers

(617) 355-3501Find providers who accept this insurance

No malpractice claims found for Massachusetts

Check if Dr. Ackerman treats your condition or procedure

• Disordered Eating
  • Hormone Imbalance
  • Hypothalamic Amenorrhea
  • Malaise and Fatigue
  • Menstrual Disorders (incl. Dysmenorrhea)
  • Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
  • Sports Physical Examination
  • Stress Fracture

Dr. Ackerman's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Ackerman

4.0

76.19047619047619%

Dr. Ackerman?
I would say, 19.7 out of 20. Nobody is perfect. I would take .3 out of 20 because she’s not always on time and that’s part of the rating. But if your priority is recovering from an injury and receiving the physical and moral support you need, then you are in the hands of someone whose life’s work is dedicated to your empowerment and recovery, day to day. My experience is coming out not just with optimal and top-notch medical treatment (between her AND her PA who is highly compassionate, trustworthy, and qualified), but with hope that I didn’t have before as well, when the process seems neverending and impossible. This is another level of care which is rare to find. I’ve never left a review for a doctor before, and this felt necessary. I’ve experienced many sports injuries, and cant imagine being referred to get an MRI by anyone else.
Kyra – Jun 30, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kathryn Ackerman, MD?
Dr. Ackerman is patient, caring and thorough. She always listens to my concerns and helps to put together a plan that focuses on health and wellness in addition to taking into consideration goals of my sports and activities. Dr. Ackerman is an excellent physician and I would highly recommend her to any friend or family member looking for a doctor who specializes in Sports Medicine and/or female athlete health and wellness.
Boston, MA – Nov 08, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kathryn Ackerman, MD?
Dr.Ackerman is a compassionate, honest doctor. I always recommend her to my teammates and friends. She not only treated my stress fractures, but created a treatment team to address the root cause of them and help me develop the skills to cope with both. Her knowledge and research of both orthopedic and endocrine issues is unique and ensured I got the best, most up to date treatment. I would not have be able to go on to continue my athletic career at a Div 1 university without her.
Katie in Boston, MA – Oct 05, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kathryn Ackerman, MD?
Dr. Ackerman treated my daughter with kindness, care, and understanding. Her thoroughness was impressive. Her knowledge unsurpassed. Highly recommended.
  • Long wait times
Oct 03, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kathryn Ackerman, MD?
Dr. Ackerman was an amazing resource for me when I was healing my 5th stress fractures. She found the source of why I was getting so many stress injuries and worked to change the cause rather than just treat the injury. She cared so much about returning me to the sport that I love so much and I am forever grateful to her.
Sarah in Boston, MA – Sep 26, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kathryn Ackerman, MD?
I just read another review and it is identical to mine. We waited almost an hour. We were in the room for over 40 minutes waiting. She came in and did not apologize for the wait. She was very curt and just sent us to get an MRI (without explanation). She acted as if she could not possibly care less. She also treated me like an idiot. Funny because in 2 mins she actually spent with us she was able to convey condescension, irritation and lack of caring. Impressive!
  • Staff wasn't friendly
  • Appointment was rushed
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
  • Didn't explain conditions well
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
Waltham, MA – Sep 13, 2018
Hello, Please accept our apology for your...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kathryn Ackerman, MD?
Incredibly disappointed. I waited an hour and a half past appointment time to see her for three minutes. She was incredibly condescending - quite literally the most dismissive doctor I've seen. She had no insight to offer me despite her reputation; she gave me cursory advice already given by my PCP and easily discoverable on the internet. Very disappointed I wasted time in my busy schedule.
Chelmsford – Feb 23, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kathryn Ackerman, MD?
Dr. Ackerman diagnosed and managed the care of my daughter's very unfortunate spinal injuries (stress fractures and bulging discs) which occurred while she was rowing on a crew team. We have been so impressed by and grateful for Dr. A's expertise, kindness, directness, and encouragement through this process. We are feeling so very fortunate to have found such a caring and attentive sports medicine physician. And her office team is simply amazing - responsive, efficient, and truly empathetic.
Wayland, MA – Aug 18, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kathryn Ackerman, MD?
Dr Ackerman, Was a fantastic resource for our injured daughter. Her knowledge and treatment of our daughters injuries was outstanding . She was also able to give us some preventive tips as well as red flags to look for when our daughter is cleared to play. Her background in sports medicine AND endocrinology is a rare and valuable resource for any female athlete with issues or injuries.
Tilton, NH – Jun 19, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kathryn Ackerman, MD?
Dr. Ackerman, is one of the best doctors that I have ever seen. I have never felt more confident that I was receiving the best possible care. She was incredibly personable and spent the time it took with me to make sure that I received the best possible care. Would highly recommend!
Kristen Chalmers in Somerville, MA – Jun 18, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kathryn Ackerman, MD?
I had seen multiple doctors before finally getting lucky enough to see Dr. Ackerman. I had been on birth control and it was causing me to have break through bleeding and seizures but none of the doctors I saw took me seriously and they all told me I was fine. Then I saw Dr. Ackerman and she listened to me and took my concerns seriously. She got me on the right medications and then followed up with me to make sure I was OK. I can't thank her enough and feel so lucky to have found her!
Josie Nordrum in Hanover, NH – Jun 18, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kathryn Ackerman, MD?
I took my daughter to see Dr. Ackerman for a stress fracture. We had gotten stuck in traffic and showed up late but Dr. Ackerman and her staff were very accommodating and made sure we still got in. Rather than simply treating the injury, Dr. Ackerman endeavored to uncover the underlying causes of the injury. My daughter is now plugged into Dr. Ackerman's multidisciplinary team to get her back on the field healthier than ever before. I cannot recommend the care of this physician enough.
Connecticut – Jun 16, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kathryn Ackerman, MD?
Dr. Ackerman is one of the kindest and most compassionate doctors I have ever seen. I also love that she is at the cutting edge of research in her field so i know I am getting the most up to date evidence based care.
Watertown, MA – Jun 16, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kathryn Ackerman, MD?
Abrupt...distant....treated the bone not the boy. Kept us waiting in the exam room for at last 30 minutes on each occasion. One time it was for 50 minutes. Exams done by her PA and then she graced us with her presence for 5 minutes at the end. We went to Children's because it's a world renown hospital. We went to the Sports Med Clinic because my son is a high level athlete. She never even asked him any questions about the sport he plays or what level he was trying to get back to. Very frustrated
Acton, MA – Jun 10, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kathryn Ackerman, MD?
Found her abrupt and not helpful
Norwalk, CT – May 25, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Kathryn Ackerman, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Ackerman?

As a physician and athlete, I enjoy being able to get to know my patients and become part of their team.  I try to learn what their goals are and help them get there, with a focus on maximizing their physical and mental health in the process.  I love helping patients get back to doing what they love, and hope that I can work with them to get them to train smarter and safer, improving performance and health in the process. Less...

• Sports Medicine