Sports Medicine  |
Dr. Kathryn Ackerman, MD
Kathryn E. Ackerman, MD, MPH is a sports medicine physician and the medical director of the Female Athlete Program in the Sports Medicine Division at Boston Children's Hospital. Her interests include female athletes, rowing injuries, endocrinology, female athlete triad, optimizing performance and health in athletes with diabetes, exercise-associated hyponatremia, and exercise and bone health in adolescence. Dr. Ackerman sees patients in Boston and Waltham. Dr. Ackerman interests in clinical care and education involve merging disciplines of sports medicine and endocrinology, while advancing the science and understanding of these interwoven specialties. She has presented locally and internationally about the female athlete triad as well as diabetes and exercise. Additionally, she co-chaired the 2009 North American Diabetes, Exercise, and Sports Association conference and was a member of the organization's Board of Directors, in addition to being a current Board member of the nonprofits, Eating for Life Alliance and Think.Eat.Play. Dr. Ackerman is a team physician for US Rowing and the course director for the Female Athlete Conference, held biannually at Boston Children's Hospital.

9 Hope Ave

Waltham, MA 02453

Dr. Kathryn Ackerman, MD

• Accepts most major Health Plans. Please contact our office for details.

Learn about Dr. Ackerman

Dr. Ackerman's Experience

Dr. Ackerman's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Sports Medicine
  • Board certified in Diabetes, Metabolism & Endocrinology, Internal Medicine and Sports Medicine

• Sports Medicine

• Diabetes Type 2
  • Disordered Eating
  • Hormone Imbalance
  • Hypothalamic Amenorrhea
  • Menstrual Disorders (incl. Dysmenorrhea)
  • Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
  • Sports Injuries
  • Stress Fracture

No malpractice history found for Massachusetts.

• Weill Cornell Medical College
  • Brigham & Womens Hospital
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2009
  • Harvard School Of Public Health
    Other Education | Completed 2003

Dr. Ackerman has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Ackerman does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Ackerman and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Ackerman's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Ackerman to family and friends
4.1
Dr. Ackerman's Performance
Wayland, MA |
Dr. Ackerman diagnosed and managed the care of my daughter's very unfortunate spinal injuries (stress fractures and bulging discs) which occurred while she was rowing on a crew team. We have been so impressed by and grateful for Dr. A's expertise, kindness, directness, and encouragement through this process. We are feeling so very fortunate to have found such a caring and attentive sports medicine physician. And her office team is simply amazing - responsive, efficient, and truly empathetic.
Tilton, NH |
Dr Ackerman, Was a fantastic resource for our injured daughter. Her knowledge and treatment of our daughters injuries was outstanding . She was also able to give us some preventive tips as well as red flags to look for when our daughter is cleared to play. Her background in sports medicine AND endocrinology is a rare and valuable resource for any female athlete with issues or injuries.
in Somerville, MA |
Dr. Ackerman, is one of the best doctors that I have ever seen. I have never felt more confident that I was receiving the best possible care. She was incredibly personable and spent the time it took with me to make sure that I received the best possible care. Would highly recommend!
in Hanover, NH |
I had seen multiple doctors before finally getting lucky enough to see Dr. Ackerman. I had been on birth control and it was causing me to have break through bleeding and seizures but none of the doctors I saw took me seriously and they all told me I was fine. Then I saw Dr. Ackerman and she listened to me and took my concerns seriously. She got me on the right medications and then followed up with me to make sure I was OK. I can't thank her enough and feel so lucky to have found her!
Connecticut |
I took my daughter to see Dr. Ackerman for a stress fracture. We had gotten stuck in traffic and showed up late but Dr. Ackerman and her staff were very accommodating and made sure we still got in. Rather than simply treating the injury, Dr. Ackerman endeavored to uncover the underlying causes of the injury. My daughter is now plugged into Dr. Ackerman's multidisciplinary team to get her back on the field healthier than ever before. I cannot recommend the care of this physician enough.
Watertown, MA |
Dr. Ackerman is one of the kindest and most compassionate doctors I have ever seen. I also love that she is at the cutting edge of research in her field so i know I am getting the most up to date evidence based care.
Acton, MA |
Abrupt...distant....treated the bone not the boy. Kept us waiting in the exam room for at last 30 minutes on each occasion. One time it was for 50 minutes. Exams done by her PA and then she graced us with her presence for 5 minutes at the end. We went to Children's because it's a world renown hospital. We went to the Sports Med Clinic because my son is a high level athlete. She never even asked him any questions about the sport he plays or what level he was trying to get back to. Very frustrated
Norwalk, CT |
Found her abrupt and not helpful
Have you seen Dr. Kathryn Ackerman, MD?
Are you Dr. Ackerman?

Visit Dr. Ackerman

Dr. Ackerman accepts 1 insurance carrier
  • Accepts most major Health Plans. Please contact our office for details.

Hospitals where Dr. Ackerman has admitting privileges