Dr. Kathleen Smith, MD

Dr. Kathleen Smith, MD

Dermatology  |
Dr. Kathleen J. Smith received her medical degree (M.D.) from the Carver College of Medicine. She completed her residency in Dermatology at the world-renowned Walter Reed Army Institute of Research in metropolitan Washington, D.C. She was awarded prestigious fellowships in Immunopathology (Walter Reed Army Institute of Research) and Dermatopathology (Armed Forces Institute of Pathology). Dr. Smith brings recognized expertise in cosmetic dermatology, laser therapy and surgery, and dermatopathology to Dermatology Specialists of Atlanta. She is commended for knowledge of clinical dermatology topics including evaluation, diagnosis and treatment of skin conditions and diseases; immunofluorescence; skin rejuvenation; sun protection; facial fillers; and healthy skin care. Expertise into these specialties makes Dr. Smith's insight highly sought after by major medical journals and medical societies: Dr. Smith's scientific works have been published in more than two hundred of the world's most esteemed medical journals and texts. Dr. Smith has presented formal presentations at more than two hundred fifty annual meetings or conferences of these societies. Dr. Smith has trained physicians in the United States and from all over the world. Her commitment to clinical education and training is evidenced by her previous roles as: Professor (Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, MD; Department of Dermatology/Department of Pathology, The University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Medicine) Clinical Professor (Department of Dermatology, Emory University, Atlanta, GA) Co-Director, Dermatopathology Fellowship Program (The University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Medicine). Dr. Kathleen J. Smith is nationally board-certified in dermatopathology, dermatological immunity, and diagnostic and laboratory immunology. She is a member of: The American Academy of Dermatology The American Society of Dermatopathology The Society for Investigative Dermatology The International Society of Dermatopathology The American Society of Dermatologic Surgeons The Atlanta Dermatologic Society The Georgia Society of Dermatology and Dermatologic Surgeons She holds licenses in the states of: Georgia Florida South Carolina Alabama Tennessee North Carolina Virginia Maryland Pennsylvania

1428 Scott Blvd

Decatur, GA 30030

• Alliant Health Plans
  • Amerigroup (Wellpoint)
  • Blue Cross Blue Shield of Georgia
  • Buckeye Community Health Plan
  • CeltiCare Health

Learn about Dr. Smith

See how frequently Dr. Smith performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Hair Loss
Dermatitis
Skin Infections

Dr. Smith's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

This content was provided by Dr. Smith "Dermatology Specialists of Atlanta, a national triple board-certified dermatology and dermatopathology practice, is uniquely skilled in helping patients achieve healthy, beautiful skin. Science-based anti-aging therapies—including state-of-the-art non-surgical technologies, FDA-approved medications, and select skin care treatments and products—assist patients in achieving and maintaining younger-looking, smooth, and radiant skin.

Dr. Kathleen J. Smith, FAAD believes no two patients are alike.  She will treat you as an individual and develop a completely customized approach to your specific skin care needs.  She will diagnose your condition, educate you on your condition and effectively treat your skin care disease or disorder.  You and your family couldn't be in better hands than Dr. Kathleen J. Smith, FAAD and her highly trained staff."

• Dermatology

• Acne
  • Actinic Keratosis
  • Allergic Reaction
  • Athlete's Foot
  • Atopic Dermatitis (Eczema)
  • Candidiasis of Skin and Nails

• Skin Biopsy
  • Skin Screenings
  • Skin Tag Removal
  • Wart Removal

No malpractice history found for Georgia.

• University of Iowa
  • Armed Forces Inst Path
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1986
  • Walter Reed Army Inst Of Research
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1990

Dr. Smith has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Smith does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Smith and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Smith's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Smith to family and friends
2.8
Dr. Smith Says:

Dermatology Specialists of Atlanta appreciates your honest feedback! We aren't perfect, but we aim to provide you and your family with the best services. Your feedback helps us become a better practice and our physicians to provide you with better healthcare.  We sincerely appreciate your time and we truly value your opinion. Thank you!

If you have any questions or...

Dr. Smith's Performance
in Stone Mountain, GA |
Excellent Doctor & Staff After recently moving to Atlanta, I began seeing this derm. She's absolutely wonderful! Great with helping to find proper and individualized treatments, also kind and supportive. The staff there is amazing at helping me get the care I need when I need it, and they are always courteous. This has relieved a lot of my medical anxiety already.
in Decatur, Georgia |
I had two very brief visits with Dr. Smith, standing face to face, with no real examination under lights or magnification. I was prescribed a medication that was so outrageously priced that I couldn't afford it even with my insurance. I was charged over $200 for each visit which was not well covered by insurance to add insult to injury. Several months later I am still having the same problem. I do not recommend her.
Norcross, GA |
Kathy (Kathleen J. Smith) and her staff are HORRIBLE. Please see below for email I sent to her in which I did NOT receive a response. I wish I could post pictures on this platform. (Please note that this email was sent last year) "I am disappointed in the service that I have received in your office. I have visited you on several occasions in regards to my hair loss issues on my temples. The last time I visited you was in January. I was supposed to set up future appointments, but after the las
Atlanta, GA |
Dr. Kathleen Smith and her office is run like a two-bit circus. They are unprepared, unorganized and scattered. Frankly, Dr. Smith is so zoned out I began to wonder if she had a pill problem (sorry, not sorry). I got bad, watered down botox from Dr. Smith. When I called back,within a week they told me they had no record of me being there, no account of me paying them and couldn't help me. Worse, I prepaid for more botox bc my flex card was expiring and they couldn't find that payment. Awful.
in Stone Mountain, ga |
I am VERY pleased. I had been back and forth to out pediatric MD desperately trying to get my daughter relief from a scalp issue for several months they never could give me a diagnoses so I went to Dr Smith she diagnosed her the 1st visit and treated her. By the time we went back for the follow up she was free of the problem. I also see DR Smith and I love her! She gets right to the point and resolves the issue!
in Norcross, GA |
The initial visit was only about 10 minutes long. How Dr. Smith can get a good handle on the conditions you're suffering from in that short amount of time is beyond me. After the appointment, my daughter called five times over a period of two weeks requesting to speak to the her about one of the medications she prescribed with no call back. We gave up and found a new doctor. Completely unresponsive and uncaring. Don't waste your time with this practice.
in Atlanta, GA |
horrible never again I had took my daughter out of school 3 times before she recommended we see a general surgeon. never explained why, had her assistant speak to me without ever looking in my direction. the oath she took to help the wounded and sick should be revoked. unpleasant, unengaged, unworthy, and unethical
in atlanta |
Very clean environment. Because I filled out my paperwork very detailed she walked in and never touched me nor looked me over. Just told me what I was suffering from. The look on her face with no smile had me nervous to ask a question. I'm disturbed about that situation still. So I wanted to research and read other comments and I read one exactly like mine so I don't feel bad anymore. It is obviously her personality. Not good for us as we finally take the time out to seek help.
I took my child to her about warts and she was very patient with him. She took her time and very gentle. Only reason I gave 4 stars instead of 5 is because I was not warned that my child would be in severe pain because of the treatment and therefore I was unaware if how to handle it for him
Stockbridge, GA |
Her bedside manner has been great during my visits and her staff have done a fine job. I have recommended her to several in my area. I know she is doing well because I have six specialists in all and she rates at the top.
in Lilburn, GA |
Terrible! I waited over an hour and half to see the doctor and then she only spent 10 minutes if that in the room. Also she was extremely rude and nasty towards her staff yell and screaming like a mad woman. I will never come back
Have you seen Dr. Kathleen Smith, MD?
Are you Dr. Smith?