Pediatric Otolaryngology (Ear, Nose & Throat)  |
Dr. Karthik Balakrishnan, MD
Specific training, surgical, and research expertise in pediatric airway and aerodigestive diagnosis and reconstruction including complex diagnoses such as laryngotracheal stenosis, laryngeal cleft, laryngeal web, and complete tracheal rings/congenital tracheal stenosis. Expertise includes nasal obstruction such as pediatric and congenital nasal masses and choanal atresia. Specific training, surgical, and research expertise in head and neck vascular anomalies including lymphatic malformations, hemangioma, and others. FAAP (Fellow of the American Academy of Pediatrics) certification indicates a specific commitment to improving children's health and the quality of the healthcare children receive. FACS (Fellow of the American College of Surgeons) certification indicates a commitment to integrity and quality of care of surgical patients.

200 1st St SW

Rochester, MN 55905

Learn about Dr. Balakrishnan

Work closely with patients and families and the Mayo Clinic multidisciplinary aerodigestive and vascular anomalies teams to help children achieve the best possible airway and aerodigestive outcomes with the most pleasant and efficient patient and family experience possible. I feel strongly about collaborating with patients and families to make sure patients achieve the best possible outcomes, and I treat children the way I would want my own children to be treated.

Dr. Balakrishnan's Experience

Dr. Balakrishnan's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Pediatric Otolaryngology (Ear, Nose & Throat)
  • Board certified in Otolaryngology

• Pediatric Otolaryngology (Ear, Nose & Throat)
  • Ear, Nose, and Throat
  • Sleep Medicine Otolaryngology

• Otolaryngology
    Accredited by: American Board of Otolaryngology*

• Airway Obstruction
  • Aspiration (Breathing in Foreign Object)
  • CHARGE Syndrome
  • Chemical Burn - Airways
  • Choanal Atresia - Deafness - Heart Defect - Dysmorphism
  • Chronic Sinusitis
  • Cleft Palate - Bilateral Choanal Atresia - Curly Hair - Congenital Hypothyroidism
  • Congenital Tracheal Stenosis

• Tracheal Resection
  • Tracheal Surgery
  • Treatment of Airway Obstruction
  • Vocal Cord Surgery

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Minnesota.

• Harvard Medical School
  • Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2014
  • University Of Washington-Master Of Public Health
    Other Education | Completed 2008

Dr. Balakrishnan has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Balakrishnan does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Balakrishnan and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Balakrishnan's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Balakrishnan to family and friends
Dr. Balakrishnan Says:

We appreciate patients' feedback and continuously strive to use it to improve our care processes and outcomes.

Dr. Balakrishnan's Performance
in Mondovi, WI |
We received outstanding care for our 12 year old son. Dr. Balakrishnan is very caring and explains everything so well. We were confident after our first appointment that our son was in VERY good hands for his vocal chord surgery.
in Hinckley mn |
Dr. Balakrishnan is amazing!!! I'm not sure they get any better than he is!!! My child loves him. He's funny, caring, and extremely brilliant! He made a great imppresion from the start. As my daughter's surgeon he took the best care of her, and never left any stone unturned. Words really can't explain how great he is, he has made our life so much happier, maby we could say he's SUPERMAN, Ssh.., it's a secret!!!! But really he's a great find as our ENT DOC. SENCERLY, the Kordiak family.
in Andover, MN |
Our family initially went to Dr. Balakrishnan to receive a second opinion about my son's congenital condition (Bilateral Vocal Cord Paralysis) and tracheostomy dependency. My husband and I were so impressed with Dr. Balakrishnan's professionalism, advanced knowledge, thoroughness, willingness to answer questions, and caring demeanor. The impact he has made on my son's life and on our lives is something we will forever be grateful for. My son LOVES visiting Dr. B. and gives him two thumbs up!!
in St Cloud, MN |
We have a 3 year old that Dr.Balakrishnan performed surgery on. We have been impressed with the care we have received and I have felt confident in the medical expertise that has been provided. I am confident in our doctor and trust him to make the best decisions regarding our little guy. I would highly recommend the care provided by Dr.Balakrishnan and his team.
in Rochester, MN |
He is hands down our favorite Dr. He is extremely knowledgeable, very personable, incredibly competent, listens to my concerns, easy to contact, quick to respond, and my kids absolutely love him (and we see him quite frequently). He doesn't 'dumb down' things, but explains everything with complete understanding. We have at least 20 different Drs that we see, and I have told everyone that he is my absolute favorite.
in Pine Island, MN |
Dr. Balakrishnan is an amazing ENT. My son has Down Syndrome, and has required multiple visits to see him. Dr Balakrishnan has always gone above and beyond to make sure he is doing everything in his power for my son, and he makes you feel like you're the only patient he's taking care of. I would highly recommend him to anyone.
in Wabasha, MN |
Our experience with Dr.Balakrishnan is AMAZING! He told us from the start that he would figure out our little man and he did. I trust Dr. Balakrishnan with the care of my son 110%. I cannot thank him enough for all the great care he has given our son.
in Platte, SD |
Dr. Balakrishnan went above and beyond with our daughter Cate on MANY different occasions in the past 4 months specifically. His patience, grace, and true heart for children came through in his talking with Cate and with myself as her mom. He is so very, very thorough with anything he is presenting in regards to care for Cate, and also works SO well with every physician on her team! He treated Cate with respect and a tenderness that helped in very traumatic health situations with Cate.
in Las Vegas, NV |
Dr. Balakrishnan is absolutely the best! My son Joshue is 20 years old and has cerebral palsy. He was suffering form constant pneumonias. We where surprise how well the doctor explained his condition and how his salivary glands were cousin him to aspirate. My son had his salivary glands removed and has been pneumonia free. We feel bless to have such a wonderful doctor.
Rochester, MN |
Dr Balakrishnan was thorough, explained the problem, the possible solutions, the surgery in excellent and appropriate detail. He visited with us before and after the surgery. My son's surgery, as we understand was technically a little more complicated than expected, but he has done wonderfully well, in no small part due to the doctor's expertise. Was easy to access, prompt with responses to questions. Highly recommend.
in Riverton, WY |
He was personable and very good is our daughter.He explained everything well and really listened to us
in Mankato, MN |
He explained everything in great detail, but made it easy to understand. We never felt rushed and he always answered all of our questions.
in Woodbury, MN |
Great bedside manner, extremely knowledgeable, and made me feel very comfortable
in Oronoco, MN |
Not only is Dr. Balakrishnan an excellent doctor, but also a wonderful person. His bedside manner is second to none. Our family appreciated his knowledge, care and kindness. His actions (such as responding to me personally on the patient portal and calling my phone to let me know my child's pathology) made us feel like he really cared about us as parents along with our child.
in Rochester, MN |
Excellent surgeon, very kind and compassionate
in North Mankato, MN |
We have a child that has been Dr. Balakrishnan since he was about 1 month old. We have loved the experience each time we have had his appointments. We we come all of our questions are always answered and we leave feeling at peace. Even when we have had to call there has never been a problem with that also we are able to speak with the staff. A huge plus. He is one of the best doctor we have had the experience working with. Great doctor and wonderful staff.
in Rochester, MN |
Dr. Balakrishnan is a wonderful provider. He works very well with children and our daughter actually looked forward to visiting him. He is very thorough and honest. We felt very comfortable having our little one in his care. I have already recommended him to colleagues and family and will continue to do so.
in Adams, MN |
Dr. Balakrishnan listened to my concerns and helped me to advocate for my son. As a parent I want the best for my son and I definitely believe he will be getting the best care possible.
in Rockford, IL |
Dr. Balakrishnan is by far the best doctor my daughter has ever had. If not for his innovative procedures my little girl would not be with us now. He always gives you all the time in the world, answers all questions, and explains things so we actually understand what is happening. And most importantly, for me as a mom, he was completely invested in my daughter. He knew everything about her case and followed her recovery so closely that I always felt reassured. He always made himself available.
Have you seen Dr. Karthik Balakrishnan, MD?
Are you Dr. Balakrishnan?

Visit Dr. Balakrishnan