Dr. Karen Barbosa, DO

Dr. Karen Barbosa, DO

Breast Surgery  |
Dr. Karen Barbosa, DO is a breast surgery doctor who practices in Anchorage, AK. She is 48 years old and has been practicing for 16 years. Read her story

2741 Debarr Rd Ste C402

Anchorage, AK 99508

• EBMS
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
  • Premera Blue Cross
  • Triwest

Learn about Dr. Barbosa

Dr. Barbosa's Experience

Dr. Barbosa's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Breast Surgery
  • Board certified in General Surgery

Dr. Barbosa's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Barbosa "Dr. Barbosa attended a post baccalaureate program at Columbia University follow by a Doctorate of Osteopathic Medicine at Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine. She then completed a Breast Surgery Fellowship at the Cleveland Clinic, follow by several Oncoplastic courses since 2008 and as recent as 2015. A well-known lecturer and recipient of the Leaders of Excellence Award from the FACT Foundation, Dr. Barbosa has also published numerous articles in several prestigious medical journals. She has recently completed a study while here in Alaska on genetics which is currently being written up and has brought several new technologies that will benefit patients, not only for breast patients. She was also recognized by the Nassau County Legislature in with the Healing Heroes Award and received Presidential Recognition by the American College of Osteopathic Surgeons (ACOS) for Outstanding in Depth Review Program. She is an active member of TME, Targeted Medical Education, an invitation only symposium of some of the top breast surgeons across the nation, to discuss new treatment options and new technologies. Her latest accomplishments is that is recently Hidden Scar Certified and will take part in training surgeons nation wide on how to optimize cosmetic outcomes in cancer patients."

• Breast Surgery

• Colorectal Cancer
  • Congenital Anomalies of Breast
  • Gynecomastia
  • Lymphoma, Large-Cell
  • Moles (Benign Skin Lesions)
  • Nipple Discharge

• Partial Mastectomy
  • Preventive Care
  • Sentinel Node Biopsy
  • Skin-Sparing Mastectomy

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Alaska.

• Fordham University
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2006
  • Cleveland Clinic-Breast Surgery
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2007

• Leaders of Excellence Award, 2008

Dr. Barbosa has no media or publications listed.

• French
  • Italian
  • Portuguese
  • Russian

Dr. Barbosa does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Barbosa and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Barbosa's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Barbosa to family and friends
4.1
Dr. Barbosa's Performance
in Anchorage Ak |
From my first visit to my surgery, I knew I was in the best hands. All my questions were answered, and I was given information to help decide my treatment. I was never pressured to decide in any way. I recommend her for anyone needing breast care. I only want to see her for any futur follow up or care.
Anchorage, AK |
Whoever answered the phone was incredibly rude and then left me on hold for over ten minutes, I will not be coming back
We are sorry you had an unpleasant experience but wonder if you may have gotten our office mixed up with another with a similar name. As a rule, we do not put our callers on hold as we have only one staff member and we make a point of giving our callers our entire attention then calling others back with the use of caller ID and/or our recorder. We would like to have the opportunity to make an unpleasant experience a pleasant one for you.
in Anchorage, AK |
I was struggling with my search of breast specialist here in Alaska. Finally, somebody highly recommend me Dr. Barbosa. And I made my decision to make an appointment with her. Dr. Barbosa is the Doctor with capital ‘D’! I know only one more Doctor here in Alaska being so truly involved with me as a patient and human. Dr. Barbosa spent her time to be ready! for appointment with me – studying results of my tests, history of my diseases. All she could find in Alaska Regional database. I am so ama
in Eagle River, AK |
Beware! Felt like we were completely scammed. We went to her for a breast reduction consult. I respect she said that isn't something she normally does, that portion we were satisfied with. She said that "since we were there" she wanted to inform us about breast cancer and that was okay, we patiently listened. What is completely unacceptable is getting a $2,712 bill for an office visit/breast exam and a very long schpeel on something that was not at all the reason we were there. Bait&switch
in Anchorage, AK |
All around wonderful experience . I was most impressed with was her care and consideration for the patient. She answered every little question and in a field where it is so easy for a doctor to capitalize on patients' fear it was amazing to have someone that was honest and informative and discussed what to do next instead of telling me what to do. I never once felt rushed by her office or in an appointment. Dr. Barbosa and Jody both made me feel comfortable and welcome at the office. Thank you!
in Anchorage, AK |
Dr. Barbosa is the best! She is lovely, brilliant, compassionate, and exceptionally competent at what she does. She performed my surgery for breast cancer and you cannot even see the scar. I was anxious at first before surgery but she is so reassuring that I knew I was in good hands. She listens and really hears what you say. And remembers it! If you are a woman with a breast issue, don't even think about going anywhere else. She is the best, hands down.
in Anchorage, Alaska |
I love how Dr. Barbosa is very upfront, will tell you and shows you whats going on and what to expect during your treatment with her.
in Anchorage, AK |
Dr. Barbosa was great! Very real. Easy to talk to. Realistic about treatment options.
in Anchorage, AK |
Dr. Barbosa helped me make informed decisions about my healthcare, but she also listened to me and respected my decisions. She is a very skilled surgeon/plastic surgeon. She removed two cancerous tumors from my breast and left me with two breasts that look better than before! I felt that she truly cared about me and, in turn, I trusted her.
Anchorage, AK |
Finding quality care in Alaska is challenging. Dr. Barbosa, however, was exceptional. I would recommend her to a friend or family member based on her professional competence and conservative approach to healthcare. She seemed like she actually cared and treated me like a human, not a problem to be solved.
in Anchorage AK |
Dr. Barbosa is a compassionate, generous woman who believes in educating people so that no unnecessary procedures are done. She is one of the best doctors I have ever met and the best surgeon I have met in Anchorage. Very pleased--will highly recommend her to anyone.
Have you seen Dr. Karen Barbosa, DO?

Visit Dr. Barbosa

Dr. Barbosa accepts 11 insurance carriers
  • EBMS
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
    GEHA