Dr. Kan Yu, MD

Dr. Kan Yu, MD

Neurology  |
Dr. Kan Yu, MD is a neurology doctor who practices in Gilbert, AZ. He is 54 years old and has been practicing for 31 years. Read his story

3303 S Lindsay Rd Ste 118

Gilbert, AZ 85297

• AARP
  • Ameriben
  • Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS)
  • AZ Foundation Medical Care (AZFMC)
  • Banner Health
  • Banner Physician Hospital Organization (BPHO)
  • Beech Street (Multiplan)

Learn about Dr. Yu

See how frequently Dr. Yu performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Chronic Neck Pain
All Headaches (incl. Migraine)
Back Pain

Dr. Yu's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. Yu's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Yu " Kan Yu, MD, PhD attended the Medical school at 18 years old, and became a heart surgeon when he was 23 years old. He did 5 years of open heart surgery at the University Hospital. He subsequently obtained the PhD degree in the cardiovascular physiology, School of Medicine, University of Florida. He has done over 10 years of academic Neuroscience research, including several years of research at the Department of Pharmacology, UT Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, Texas. He has published many peer-reviewed papers. Board certified in Neurology. Fellowship-trained in EEG, NCV / EMG, and Botox injection for headache, spasticity and dystonia. "Top Ten Neurologists" in Arizona by a website in 5/2014. only 1% physicians receive it. "Patient's Choice" award 5 years in a row, since 2008. 5 years Honoree! Of the nation's 720,000 active physicians, only 5% were accorded with this honor by their patients in 2011. Dr. Yu received this prestigious award the very next year after he started his practice in Phoenix AZ area in July 2007. "America's Top Physician" award in 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013. America's "Most Compassionate Doctor" award. 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014. Only 3% doctors out of the 720,000 active physicians in the nation received this award in 2011. "Golden Thread Award" 2012 from Mercy Gilbert Medical Center in 3/2012: "For your dedication to our patients, for your Servant's Heart and your Healing Hands " Cigna Care Physician designation on 1/1/2015. Dr. Yu is one of the best ranked doctors in the US according to a website in 2015, 2016, 2017. "

This content was provided by Dr. Yu "We strive to provide the best neurological care possible for the patients. "

• Neurology

• Cerebral Artery Thrombosis
  • Cerebral Hemorrhage
  • Cerebrovascular Disease
  • Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyneuropathy
  • Chronic Myeloid Leukemia (CML)
  • Chronic Pain
  • Inflammatory and Toxic Neuropathy
  • Insomnia
  • Lyme Disease
  • Meningiomas
  • Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
  • Myasthenia Gravis
  • Myoclonus
  • Myopathy
  • Neck Pain
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus
  • Optic Neuritis
  • Paresthesia
  • Parkinson Disease 10 (PARK10)
  • Parkinson's Disease
  • Parkinsonism
  • Peripheral Autonomic Neuropathy
  • Polymyositis
  • Polyneuropathy
  • Post-Concussion Syndrome
  • Postherpetic Neuralgia
  • Progressive Supranuclear Palsy (PSP)
  • Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy
  • Syncope
  • Tension Headache
  • Thrombosis
  • Torticollis
  • Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA)
  • Traumatic Brain Injury

• Nerve Block, Somatic
  • Nerve Conduction Studies
  • Non-Cosmetic Chemodenervation
  • Peripheral Nerve Block

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Arizona.

• Third Military Medical University
  • University of Florida
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1996
  • University of Mississippi
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2007

Dr. Yu has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Yu does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Yu and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Yu's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Yu to family and friends
4.1
Dr. Yu's Performance
in Phoenix, AZ |
I am very pleased with my experience over the years with Dr Kan Yu, MD PhD. As I have matured over the years I can be a hard critic of Physicians and their staff. Combine this attitude with an innate crankiness when a medical issues arise the result can be much less pleasant. Early on, I recognized that his care for my personal health and well being was a world away from experiences elsewhere. I feel very comfortable to be treated with his professionalism and care with his personal focus on Me!
in Mesa, AZ |
Dr Yu saw me the day after I called him to run tests and to get an accurate diagnosis of MS. My family Dr had just been telling me I had a pinched nerve and I was suffering miserably. Dr Yu got me on the necessary medicine and I have returned to my normal activities, thanks to Dr Yu. He always takes time during each appointment to find out exactly what I need and how I am doing. My highest complements to a great doctor!
Gilbert, AZ |
Very happy with all Dr has done for me. He is Up to date on all meds and and treatments, so if you are looking for someone to trust your neurological needs then make an appt and find out for yourself.
in Phoenix, AZ |
What a blessing, he has helped me so much.
Phoenix, AZ |
Was literally in the room for two minutes left and came back with three trial medications and one prescription! Seriously didn't talk about anything. Said try these and come back!
in Gilbert, AZ |
Dr. Yu saved my life. I suffer from VERY bad migraines. Other doctors wanted to just pump me full of medications that didn't work but Dr. Yu took his time and listened to me. I explained how I have 5 children that I can't spend any time with due to the pain being so bad. I have been seeing him for a while now and all he wants to do is help to make me feel better. I have never met a more caring, honest, down to earth doctor. Thank you so much Dr. Yu!
in Gilbert, AZ |
I have total trust in Dr Yu as he proved to me by exceptional results for my migraines that i have had for 50 yrs ., in only 2 visits and important tests he ordered that other Drs ignored. He is quick to observe your frustrations and has a very compasionate response , promising to give best treatment for he found my best treatment and i am so grateful , he is a blessing . Thank you again Dr Yu
in Chandler, AZ |
I have seen Dr. Yu for a problem relating to my head. At the last visit, he always concludes is there anything else or any other questions. I mentioned to him that I have a lot of spasms from my neck to my right shoulder. This is pretty much a chronic condition. I have seen several specialist including the pain clinic and everyone's solution was one of three pills. Dr. Yu offered another choice. Botox injections. He did multiple injections and by the 3rd &4th days, the spasms were almost gone.
It's such a great pleasure helping you, and thousands of people like you! Thanks a lot!!! I'm here to serve you, and help you.
in Gold Canyon, az |
I have been a migraine sufferer for over 25 years and Dr. Yu is the first doctor that has been able to find me relief. I would highly recommend him to anyone that has migraines, as he has a deep understanding of treatment plans. He never makes me feel rushed and spends an ample amount of time with me during visits. He has a good bedside manner and takes the time to listen to my concerns and needs. Office staff is friendly, helpful and personable.
in Payson, Az |
Dr. Yu has saved my life multiple times since 2011. He always takes time to review my tests thoroughly, orders additional test if needed, has caught misdiagnosis from other doctors. I have multiple serious health conditions, he can quickly and always correctly diagnose my new symptoms, never rushes to explain things to me, makes me feel informed. Dr. Yu and staff have worked with my ins. when things weren't covered and got coverage. Correctly completed and sent my disability papers.
in Gilbert, AZ |
I have been seeing Dr. Yu for 6 months now and could not be more pleased. He cares for his patients and is very knowledgeable. I normally do not write reviews however after seeing what others had written about him not caring and not taking time I had to set the record straight… Dr. Yu does take the time needed with each patient. I have never left there feeling rushed or didn’t have all my concerns answered. After 6 spinal surgeries he has been the only Doc to help with headaches and nerve pain.
in Chandler, AZ |
Dr.Yu, Is the utmost caring , Compassionate, gentle and kindest Dr. He really truly cares about his patients and their health. I suffer from migraines. He is the only Dr. that has helped me with my migraines. He is an Expert in his field of vast experience and knowledge. He think's beyond and out of the box with his vast knowledge of experience to diagnose and treat. He is absolutely awesome. I trust him and he is a true humanitarian. I am truly grateful and blessed to know him as my Dr.
in Show Low, AZ |
I saw this so called specialist one time which was a waste of time, fuel, and breath. I had to drive 150 miles from Overgaard, AZ. to attend the appointment. My primary care physician faxed plenty of medical information,symptoms, and the fact that I had been a victim of a traumatic brain injury, as well as brain stem damage which resulted in a major word clarity hearing problem. This person didn't even take time to look over my file. He was speaking 60 words per minute, and was in a hurry.
I have many patients who drive hundreds of miles to see me regularly. They refuse to change doctor. I spent over 45 minutes in the room with him. His TBI occurred many many years ago. He has seen many doctors before he came to me. I guess that those previous doctors were not good enough either, otherwise, there is no need to switch doctor. Please find someone who can help.
in Mountain Home, AR |
LACK OF CONCERN FOR PATIENT! I saw Dr Yu for a couple years. He's a very drug pushy kind of Doctor, seemingly without validation. No tests, no questions, just "let's increase the dosage" and I experienced this with nearly every visit. After moving away from AZ I sent a questionnaire my disability attorney asked me to send to all previous doctors. I received a call stating Dr Yu would not fill out the questionnaire because I was no longer a patient. Money is his only concern, not patient care.
He was last seen in April 2014(over 2 years ago). It's impossible to do the disability assessment, without seeing the patient. After he moved away, he should have new physicians helping him in his new location since 2014. In terms of medications, it's always discussed with the patient and agreed by the patient. The patient has the right to refuse any medical advice. A patient can choose any doctor he or she likes.
in Gilbert, AZ |
I have been seeing Dr Yu for well over a year for neuropathy. He is not only extremely competent and knowledgable, he is compassionate and understanding of what you are experiencing. He tells you the truth and explains the treatments available. He has always gone the extra mile in personally returning my phone calls the same day and listening to my concerns. He always asks if there is anything else I need and treats me as the whole patient not just the immediate symptoms. Good Dr, good man!
Mesa, AZ |
I have been seeing Dr Yu since 2009. He has treated me for headaches caused by valley fever, correctly diagnosed a stroke that the ER did not see, and continues to treat me for headaches and high blood pressure. His staff is always helpful, whether I need a refill or need to see him right away. I have never waited more then 5 minutes for my appointments. I wouldn't go anywhere else and highly recommend Dr Yu.
Phoenix, AZ |
I've seen Dr. Yu for many yrs., he's a caring and compassionate dr, his staff is wonderful - and you leave his office with instructions on your meds if you need help remembering. He may be to the point, but he has a lot of patients he cares for, and they care back. Do your part and come prepared for your appt with questions specific to his field and have your PCP fill out your paperwork. Be proactive in your own healthcare - don't expect your drs to do everything, it is your body, manage it!
Gilbert, AZ |
He is a very smart man but has no patient customer service, always in a hurry, talks to you like you know medical lingo and feel very rushed and even cut short my son appointmentt to answer to doctor call and left us hanging with questions. Will not be returning
When the ER calls, we are obligated to answer the calls, because it is an emergency. If your son was having a convulsion in the ER, based on your opinion, I guess I shouldn't take that call. I've always tried to explain everything in details. If you are confused, or have questions, or concerns, please stop me anytime. If I refuse to answer, then it is my fault. I never rush patient. If you failed to ask questions, I assume you understood everything. We have so many patients who love us.
in Chandler, az |
Dr. Yu has saved my life many times over. He knows what I need and he knows what I am going through. He is very understanding and provides excellent care and advice. I am so thankful for Dr. Yu.
in Gilbert, AZ |
Don't waste your time and money on this guy - find another Dr.! My first visit with him for migraines was ok, so I felt hopeful. Second followup visit was a different story. Since I came back, I guess he felt comfortable enough to be rude, dismissive, insulting, and unprofessional. He called me noncompliant since I stopped taking the meds he gave me because they made constantly sick and that I should take them anyway. He suggested that I might have MS but Don't worry about it. Horrible!
"noncompliant" is a medical term widely used in the medical charts nationally. Now, to be politically correct, it's called "nonadherent". It's always made very clear that a patient can stop the medication(s), if he or she had any bad side effects. A patient should find a doctor who he / she likes. We have so many patients love what we do. We have patients coming from Boston, Nashville, Seattle, etc. Some patients drive 200 miles to see me regularly. Some of my patients are doctors, professors.
Gilbert, AZ |
First time I saw him and in less than 5 minutes he said I could have MS, a Mini Stoke or Migraines and gave be 6 different medications... No bedside manner and does not take his time to explain anything. He acted like he was in a hurry to be somewhere... So I have 6 meds and no idea what they are for or how to take them.... Looking for another doctor.
When you see a doctor, your doctor will have a few differential diagnosis. It doesn't mean you have all the diagnosis. It's a complete misunderstanding. I always explain to every patient how to take the medications. If you're confused, or have questions, please feel free to ask, and stop me any time. You can always call me back later, even if you forgot to ask. 99 percent of the time, I return my patients' call on the same day. Very few doctors in the nation can say that. I'm here to help you.
Mesa, AZ |
HE'S A GOOD DOCTOR BUT DON'T ASK HIM FOR A LETTER OF ANY KIND BECAUSE YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR IT. HE MUST PUT MONEY FIRST OVER PATIENTS OR ELSE BUSINESS DROPPED AND HE IS A BROKE D CK.
Thanks a lot for the great compliment by saying that "He's good doctor, " I have to work between 16-18 hours everyday for over 20 years. Thousands of people depend on me. The paperwork from you may seem little work. But imagine the requests that I got from 50,000 patients! I wish somebody would clean my backyard for free every month.
in Tempe, AZ |
Dr. Yu was very rude and unprofessional during my last visit. My visit with him was for some pain I had been experiencing with my elbow. When I met with him for my test results he informed me that I was fine, then told me to reconsider having a baby. I am a 35 year old woman undergoing IVF treatment to try and have a child. Dr. Yu informed me that I will waste $50,000, be unsuccessful in my treatment and he will assist me with re-evaluating my life upon my 6 month follow up appointment.
It's a complete misinterpretation and misunderstanding of a story that I told her. I'm sorry for that. If you'll have a baby, please let me know. I'll be so happy for you! Best wish to you!
Have you seen Dr. Kan Yu, MD?

Visit Dr. Yu

Dr. Yu accepts 21 insurance carriers
  • AARP
    Aetna PPO
  • Ameriben
  • Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS)
    AHCCCS - AZ Health Care Cost Containment System
  • AZ Foundation Medical Care (AZFMC)
    AZ Foundation Medical Care (AZFMC) EPO
    AZ Foundation Medical Care (AZFMC) PPO
  • Banner Health
  • Banner Physician Hospital Organization (BPHO)
  • Beech Street (Multiplan)
    Blue Cross Blue Shield HMO